BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Debate: was Olly Alexander's performance 'shocking'?, as in what he performed, not how he scored
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Debate: was Olly Alexander's performance 'shocking'?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 43
Guests cannot vote 
J00prstar
post 12th May 2024, 09:35 AM
Post #21
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ 12th May 2024, 09:02 AM) *
Irish performance was million times weirder and should have been banned.

What??
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 12th May 2024, 09:35 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(Qween @ 12th May 2024, 09:50 AM) *
If we take the view that we’re improving one aspect each year, then hopefully next year we can finally get a good enough singer / a good enough song and then smash in 2026 *.*

Honestly this - we are improving and certainly applying more effort rather than just sending a reality show reject with a mid tempo ballad.

I just hope we continue with the same effort and it doesn’t deter established singers and songwriters following on from this year.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 12th May 2024, 09:52 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

In other news Nicki French is currently #7 on the Estonian iTunes Charts with our 2000 entry ‘Dont Play That Song Again’ - maybe that’s what Europe want from us laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 12th May 2024, 10:12 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Bjork @ 12th May 2024, 07:25 AM) *
Zero shocking as scandalous
100% shocking as shockingly bad, the tiniest vocals, everybody I waas wtching thought his microphone wasn't working, that's how poor his vocals were, definetely the poorest performance of the show

100% THIS!!

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 12th May 2024, 10:13 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(___∆___ @ 12th May 2024, 10:52 AM) *
In other news Nicki French is currently #7 on the Estonian iTunes Charts with our 2000 entry ‘Dont Play That Song Again’ - maybe that’s what Europe want from us laugh.gif

What an apt name for any UK Eurovision entry that isn't Sam Ryder!!! (Or Andrew Lloyd Webber or Electro Velvet)

+Quote this post
Scene
post 12th May 2024, 10:48 AM
Post #26
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Not at all shocking.

Next year’s UK entry will hopefully be a mix of strong vocals, a WOW song and visually electrifying performance (like Ireland’s this year). Someone said earlier about a rock/opera act - brilliant idea!

+Quote this post
p a v
post 12th May 2024, 11:05 AM
Post #27
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

People will find scandalous anything that isn’t a white straight cis man singing about liking cars, so who the f*** cares really

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 12th May 2024, 11:06 AM
Post #28
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

I cackle at the fact there was even talk about the performance being too "out there" or homoerotic like Spain yet Spain got a higher televoting than us. In terms of shocking, Ireland is a lot more shocking but they were rewarded for that. I thought the contrary is true unfortunately which makes me think the performance only had an elaborate staging with good play on gravity and dizziness. To me the problem was the song and vocals.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 12th May 2024, 11:08 AM
Post #29
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

We’ll always have dolboyebs like this one below

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ 12th May 2024, 11:02 AM) *

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 12th May 2024, 11:09 AM
Post #30
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Not you trying to ban paganism kink.gif

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 12th May 2024, 11:24 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

Honestly people who found the performance shocking should probably go outside more, plenty of acts inside and outside of Eurovision have had dancers acting like that. I mean it's hardly milkmaids churning butter?
No one I was watching with (including straight people!) found it shocking, the only thing that surprised them was that the UK was sending something with a stage presence tbh.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 12th May 2024, 12:29 PM
Post #32
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I don't think 'shocking' is the right word, but I sense the overt homoerotic nature of the performance was literally all that stuck with most of the audience, as the song itself was extremely forgettable in a really strong night of standout performances and song structures and that would've put off the more conservative voting bases and there were way more entries fulfilling the 'shocking' criteria. Not that that was by any means the main factor - the poor vocals stood out particularly.

We did alright with the juries so this wasn't a major failure, but I don't know how many times it needs to be said - midtempo pop is not a vote winner, we need a strong, standout song that doesn't sound like anything else there and/or has a killer chorus or vocal. We have so, so many examples in our music industry, I am starting to wonder if it's interference from higher above that demand it be kept radio friendly.

+Quote this post
darrens94
post 12th May 2024, 01:33 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,047

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ 12th May 2024, 01:29 PM) *
I don't think 'shocking' is the right word, but I sense the overt homoerotic nature of the performance was literally all that stuck with most of the audience, as the song itself was extremely forgettable in a really strong night of standout performances and song structures and that would've put off the more conservative voting bases and there were way more entries fulfilling the 'shocking' criteria. Not that that was by any means the main factor - the poor vocals stood out particularly.

We did alright with the juries so this wasn't a major failure, but I don't know how many times it needs to be said - midtempo pop is not a vote winner, we need a strong, standout song that doesn't sound like anything else there and/or has a killer chorus or vocal. We have so, so many examples in our music industry, I am starting to wonder if it's interference from higher above that demand it be kept radio friendly.

It’s always going to be radio friendly because of it being a BBC One and Radio 2 entertainment show. So if you we are going to send middle of the road pop we need the staging and performer to elevate it like Sam did.

This post has been edited by darrens94: 12th May 2024, 01:33 PM

+Quote this post
eurovision4ever
post 12th May 2024, 01:43 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 19,535

It was more the fact he couldn’t sing and could hardly hear him

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 12th May 2024, 01:46 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Oh nooo, a non Christian nooo!!!

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 12th May 2024, 01:47 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

QUOTE(darrens94 @ 12th May 2024, 02:33 PM) *
It’s always going to be radio friendly because of it being a BBC One and Radio 2 entertainment show. So if you we are going to send middle of the road pop we need the staging and performer to elevate it like Sam did.

Maybe the BBC are half the problem then - the process needs to be overseen by people who will think outside the box much more.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 12th May 2024, 02:18 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Yes, I suspect the BBC requirement for something that works on BBC1, Radio 1 and Radio 2 simultaneously is definitely part of the issue and will keep holding us back apart from on the odd occasion that we have a top drawer singer/performer like Sam.

I don't really see the situation changing any time soon either. Even when we had a national final, the six songs were always varying shades of beige each year.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 12th May 2024, 04:53 PM
Post #38
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

QUOTE(Ansel @ 12th May 2024, 12:24 PM) *
Honestly people who found the performance shocking should probably go outside more, plenty of acts inside and outside of Eurovision have had dancers acting like that. I mean it's hardly milkmaids churning butter?
No one I was watching with (including straight people!) found it shocking, the only thing that surprised them was that the UK was sending something with a stage presence tbh.

Right?? People on socials are really out here acting like straight people are always chaste and modest. I was reading what felt like some light homophobia in the tone of the comments but wanted to be sure I wasn't projecting.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 12th May 2024, 11:24 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I think Olly attempted to be shocking but it didn’t necessarily pay off

I think he spent too much effort on the performance / staging / attempt at choreography / shock factor that the vocals took a huge nosedive. It’s a shame because he’s far better a performer than what he’s shown us at Eurovision.

I just hope we get someone next year who’s actually able to confidently perform. Sam Ryder can’t just be a fluke we have to manage it again and I do think we’d be capable with the right song.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 13th May 2024, 09:06 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I was 9 when I watched my first Eurovision, kids these days are watching it younger than I was. It's a family occasion, not a niche market for niche people and it's global, covering a lot of cultures, many of which don't have homo-erotic images on telly (the 69 was part of the routine, however briefly). Not against it myself, quite the reverse, but I'm not the target voting audience cos I've never voted. Love it, but dont vote. A lot of my family vote though.

From a voting point of view, have homo-erotic-tinged routines ever done well at Eurovision? Not so much. If there's prancing behind a female singer, people arent that bothered, if there's male "nudity" and it's amusing, people arent that bothered. Not saying anything is right or wrong, but things just are, and if you want to get big votes you need to appeal to everyone - first and foremost with an in-ya-face vocal performance and a strong song, and then try not to mess it up with staging choices. If you are dancing hard and singing you need to make sure you can multi-task, cos if not get someone else to do the dancing...

Dizzy was a classy song, IMO, but it's a grower not a show'er, and winning Eurovision is all about show'ers - see Snap! in 2023 for the ultimate grower....

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 7th June 2024, 01:26 PM