BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oscars 2016: Nominations
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Jan 14 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #1
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Best Picture:
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett "Carol"
Brie Larson "Room"
Jennifer Lawrence "Joy"
Charlotte Rampling "45 Years"
Saoirse Ronan "Brooklyn"

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston "Trumbo"
Matt Damon "The Martian"
Leonardo DiCaprio "The Revenant"
Michael Fassbender "Steve Jobs"
Eddie Redmayne "The Danish Girl"

Best Supporting Actress:
Jennifer Jason Leigh "The Hateful Eight"
Rooney Mara "Carol"
Rachel McAdams "Spotlight"
Alicia Vikander "The Danish Girl"
Kate Winslet "Steve Jobs"

Best Supporting Actor:
Christian Bale "The Big Short"
Tom Hardy "The Revenant"
Mark Ruffalo "Spotlight"
Mark Rylance "Bridge of Spies"
Sylvester Stallone "Creed"

Best Directing
"The Big Short"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
"The Revenant"
"Room"
"Spotlight"

Best Original Screenplay
"Bridge of Spies"
"Ex Machina"
"Inside Out"
"Spotlight"
"Straight Outta Compton"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Big Short"
"Brooklyn"
"Carol"
"The Martian"
"Room"

Best Foreign Film
"Embrace the Serpent" (Colombia)
"Mustang" (France)
"Son of Saul" (Hungary)
"Theeb" (Jordan)
"A War" (Denmark)

Best Animated Feature
"Anomalisa"
"Boy and the World"
"Inside Out"
"Shaun and the Sheep Movie"
"When Marnie Was There"

Best Visual Effects
"Ex Machina"
"Mad Max"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

Best Score
"Bridge of Spies"
"Carol"
"The Hateful Eight"
"Sicario"

Best Song
"Earned It" ("Fifty Shades of Grey")
"Manta Ray" ("Racing Extinction")
"Simple Song #3" ("Youth")
"Til It Happens to You" ("The Hunting Ground")
"Writing's on the wall" ("Spectre")

Best Cinematography
"Carol"
"The Hateful Eight"
"Sicario"
"The Revenant"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
"The 100-Year Old Man"
"The Revenant"

Best Production Design
"Bridge of Spies"
"The Danish Girl"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"

Best Film Editing
"The Big Short"
"The Revenant"
"Spotlight"

Best Sound Editing
"Max: Fury Road"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Sicario"

Editing in the rest as I see the lists~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Jan 14 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,931

I honestly can't get over the Spotlight nominations. When you see it you'll see how nothing their parts are. The cast work tremendously as a whole, but there's no stand out performances enough for winning awards. But I've seen people mention the subject as what's getting it attention.

Anyway.

RED for my #1 choice BLUE for my #2 Choice.

Best Picture:
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant - Think
Room
Spotlight

Best Actress (Strong category, all deserve their nominations)
Cate Blanchett "Carol"
Brie Larson "Room" - Think
Jennifer Lawrence "Joy"
Charlotte Rampling "45 Years" Close 3rd
Saoirse Ronan "Brooklyn"

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston "Trumbo"
Matt Damon "The Martian"
Leonardo DiCaprio "The Revenant"
Michael Fassbender "Steve Jobs"
Eddie Redmayne "The Danish Girl"

Best Supporting Actress:
Jennifer Jason Leigh "The Hateful Eight"
Rooney Mara "Carol"
Rachel McAdams "Spotlight"
Alicia Vikander "The Danish Girl"
Kate Winslet "Steve Jobs"

Best Supporting Actor
:
Christian Bale "The Big Short"
Tom Hardy "The Revenant"
Mark Ruffalo "Spotlight"
Mark Rylance "Bridge of Spies"
Sylvester Stallone "Creed"

(No stand outs here for me, should have been Jacob Tremblay)

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jan 14 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #3
my anxiety attacks

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jan 14 2016, 02:02 PM) *
I honestly can't get over the Spotlight nominations. When you see it you'll see how nothing their parts are. The cast work tremendously as a whole, but there's no stand out performances enough for winning awards. But I've seen people mention the subject as what's getting it attention.

I thought the buzz might be fading a bit but now I'm thinking again that it will be our Best Picture winner if they love it enough to go for Rachel McAdams..(not that I've seen it yet to personally judge tongue.gif)

Saddened by the Jacob snub. "Earned It" over "Love Me Like You Do" is just...no...for me. Really pleased for "Brooklyn" which didn't seem such a certain Best Picture nominee in the end, and "Bridge of Spies" too.

Alicia ending up in supporting I see as both good and bad. The con being that she had a chance to get in with "Ex Machina" too if she'd been in lead, but my instinct is that she'll win the category so that's the pro.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 14 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #4
It's a cruel summer.
Member No.: 20,947

BROOKLYN BEST PICTURE YASSSS *.* heart.gif heart.gif Was really starting to think it wouldn't get in so I'm so happy and relieved it has, definitely my favourite movie from last year wub.gif

Will comment on more later but very solid selection of nominees! (though need to start watching the Best Picture candidates as have only seen 3 of the 5!)

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 14 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #5
It's a cruel summer.

Also Carol not best picture is a shocker in my view ohmy.gif
I know I said in my Oscar Predictions thread that I didn't think it would be as easy in as most people we're saying but I was not expecting it to full on miss ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 14 2016, 05:43 PM
Post #6
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Will Leo finally get his oscar? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 14 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #7
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm surprised that Mad Max is up for so many, Best picture included! It was a good film (and indeed the only one I've seen out of those Best Picture nominees), but I guess it doesn't seem like traditional Oscar bait so to speak.

Must be Leo's chance now surely? (It's gonna go to Matt Damon isn't it? heehee.gif)

Hoping for Star Wars/Inside Out to get at least one award (though the latter should storm the animated category), slightly surprised to not see Jurassic World or Avengers up for anything, I thought they'd at least get one of the technical/visual awards. And yeah no at Earned It up over Love Me Like You Do, ugh the thought of Sam Smith winning an Oscar is nauseating :/

Looking forward to my yearly Oscars binge of all the Best Picture nominees *.* Only seen one as said above!

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 14 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #8
It's a cruel summer.

Also need to start binge-watching the Best Picture nominees! Only seen Brooklyn, Mad Max and The Martian heart.gif

Seeing Room this weekend though and already arranged to see The Big Short/The Revenant/Spotlight in the next 3 weeks so just need to sort out how to watch Bridge Of Spies!

Also didn't realise See You Again was snubbed for best song until now, was really expecting that to win ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jan 14 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #9
my anxiety attacks

QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Jan 14 2016, 06:15 PM) *
Also didn't realise See You Again was snubbed for best song until now, was really expecting that to win ohmy.gif

Oh yeah...that would've been my favourite in the category too.

Seen half of the best picture nominees and seeing Revenant tonight and Room tomorrow. In the end I expect to have seen everything in the acting categories except from 45 Years and also don't know if I'm bothering with Trumbo.

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Jan 14 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #10
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

Would anyone be able to shed some light on why Rooney Mara was nominated as a lead actress at the Golden Globes and is down as a supporting one here for the same role? I noticed people were expecting that too before the Oscars nominations came out. Is it simply a case of different academies/associations deeming the role differently or is there more to it (i.e. 'Carol' being nominated in separate categories rather than having two nominations in one...or something)?

In my (uneducated) mind, Rooney's role was just as important and prominent as Cate's throughout the film, and personally I found her acting more impressive.

Also, unpopular opinion but I really don't get the fuss with 'Brooklyn' unsure.gif. I found it quite boring overall and lazy at times, and didn't really buy into the characters or story. Regardless, g'won Saoirse, do it for the Irish etc. cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Jan 14 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #11
c:
Member No.: 20,692

Oops at David O Russel going from 7, 8 & 10 noms for The Fighter, SLP and American Hustle to only 1 for Joy! Especially when Joy is actually a really good movie, probably my third/fourth favourite drama of awards season behind Room, The Danish Girl and perhaps Carol. Really happy that Jennifer did get nominated anyway, bit sad to see all this backlash saying she was undeserving because she was really good imo, in the QVC scene she went through so many emotions in about 5 mins.

A bit gutted Jacob Tremblay got snubbed, especially as the whole film wouldn't work without him but I wasn't massively expecting it either.

A bit sad they put Vikander in supporting because I'm sure she's have replaced herself with Ex Machina and she could have got two noms instead, hoping she wins now anyway, she did emotion incredibly well in TDG whereas Mara was a lot more delicate (still really good but I Vikander engaged me a lot more) and Saoirse Ronan did delicate the best this hear anyway imo.

Disappointing for Steve Jobs to get nothing aside from acting too, it had a fantastic script imo and was really engaging despite everything happening in only three locations. The Good Dinosaur was a bit of an undeserving snub too, admittedly I don't know three of the five nominated animated movies but it was still really cute and the animation was breathtaking.

This post has been edited by Josh Josh Binks: Jan 14 2016, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 14 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #12
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(Noahspike @ Jan 14 2016, 06:54 PM) *
Would anyone be able to shed some light on why Rooney Mara was nominated as a lead actress at the Golden Globes and is down as a supporting one here for the same role? I noticed people were expecting that too before the Oscars nominations came out. Is it simply a case of different academies/associations deeming the role differently or is there more to it (i.e. 'Carol' being nominated in separate categories rather than having two nominations in one...or something)?

Carol's Distribution campaign/Mara campaigned as Supporting Actress as more chance of nomination and win. So basically category fraud which Golden Globes didn't stand for at all!
Hope that makes sense smile.gif

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Jan 14 2016, 10:14 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

Ah ok, interesting ohmy.gif. I have no idea of the politics behind these things. Thanks UV!

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jan 15 2016, 09:45 AM
Post #14
my anxiety attacks

QUOTE(Noahspike @ Jan 14 2016, 06:54 PM) *
Also, unpopular opinion but I really don't get the fuss with 'Brooklyn' unsure.gif. I found it quite boring overall and lazy at times, and didn't really buy into the characters or story. Regardless, g'won Saoirse, do it for the Irish etc. cheer.gif

You are not welcome in the movies forum sleep.gif

(Can I ask what about it you found lazy? I can understand the boring comment as I wouldn't normally go for dramas set in the 50s etc. But the dialogue was easy to understand and humourous at times and I just got swept up in the story, I disagree about the characters because Saoirse was fantastic and really helped to sell it).

+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2016, 09:57 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

I thought the academy decided on the categories, regardless of what that actors were campaigned for. I find it quite homophobic, in the same way the Jake Gyllenhaal was made supporting actor for Brokeback Mountain, like two gay characters from a love story can't both be seen as "leading". The male and female counterparts of love stories almost always both get leading nominations.

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Jan 15 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Jan 15 2016, 09:45 AM) *
You are not welcome in the movies forum sleep.gif

(Can I ask what about it you found lazy? I can understand the boring comment as I wouldn't normally go for dramas set in the 50s etc. But the dialogue was easy to understand and humourous at times and I just got swept up in the story, I disagree about the characters because Saoirse was fantastic and really helped to sell it).

Got you where it hurts, then cool.gif. Call it revenge for your irrational distaste for 'Silver Linings Playbook'. happy.gif (cry.gif)

And yeah sure! It's been a while since I saw the film so mightn't remember everything but I'll put this in spoilers in case anyone's yet to see it. (Don't bother)

I felt the whole thing was built on an overly romanticised, unnuanced portrayal of Ireland and Irish life in the 1950s, like it was just pandering to the stereotypes in the heads of American audiences and not offering much else of substance. I realise I may be particularly sensitive to this but my Dutch friend who I saw it with agreed (and found the film much more boring than I did). The woman who owned the shop/bakery(?) felt like the token local villain, as she was pretty much the only thing going against this idea of an idyllic, simple rural village. I found the Italian boyfriend lacked any real depth as a character. I kept thinking he'd reveal more to himself as their relationship progressed, whether good or bad, but that never happened. I didn't really buy into Eilis being attracted to the Irish guy either - the chemistry didn't really come through there at all. Also, the scene where it all comes full circle and Eilis finds herself advising a younger version of herself on the boat was something I could have written! Overall, the story didn't grab me and felt quite lazy for those reasons but I do think Saoirse's performance was very impressive and managed to carry it to a degree.

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jan 15 2016, 09:57 AM) *
I thought the academy decided on the categories, regardless of what that actors were campaigned for. I find it quite homophobic, in the same way the Jake Gyllenhaal was made supporting actor for Brokeback Mountain, like two gay characters from a love story can't both be seen as "leading". The male and female counterparts of love stories almost always both get leading nominations.

That did cross my mind too. If it was a heterosexual couple/love story, neither performance would ever be seen as a supporting role.

+Quote Post
randomfurlong
post Jan 15 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #17
musing
Member No.: 13,969
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jan 15 2016, 09:57 AM) *

The difference between the Globes and the Oscars is that the Globes ruled Mara (and Alicia Vikander) as Leads and therefore they could only be voted for in that category. The Oscars has no system for ruling on performances and so it was up to individual voters to place them where they saw fit. Unfortunately they were swayed by the studio campaigns.

They have corrected category fraud in the past - Keisha Castle-Hughes in Whale Rider, Kate Winslet in The Reader - but they really need to make official rulings because to have two clear lead performances in the supporting race is unfair for the legitimate supporting players.

That said, I wasn't too angry at it because it meant Charlotte Rampling's nomination wasn't stopped by Mara or Vikander.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Jan 15 2016, 03:31 PM
Post #18
c:

Just watched 45 Years last night after seeing Charlotte Rampling getting a nomination, thought she wasn't too bad but not for one moment in any scene did I think she did anything amazing to be considered as top 5 of the whole year. She didn't help the whole film be any less boring either and Tom Courtenay stole every scene they were in together in my opinion.

+Quote Post
randomfurlong
post Jan 15 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #19
musing
Member No.: 13,969
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Josh Josh Binks @ Jan 15 2016, 03:31 PM) *
Just watched 45 Years last night after seeing Charlotte Rampling getting a nomination, thought she wasn't too bad but not for one moment in any scene did I think she did anything amazing to be considered as top 5 of the whole year. She didn't help the whole film be any less boring either and Tom Courtenay stole every scene they were in together in my opinion.

If someone isn't wowed by her work in the final scene, I don't think I can ever understand them. She's superb. Such deep inner conflict delivered with such naturalism and without any dialogue.

Which isn't to say Tom Courtenay wasn't also great; that he never entered the Oscar conversation is a travesty.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Jan 15 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #20
c:

I just waiting for it to be over by then, all I watched was a three minute dance in a circle routine with a bit of lip quivering laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Josh Josh Binks: Jan 15 2016, 03:41 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:19 AM