BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Kylie Minogue ● The Singles Rate (RESULTS), RESULTS COMPLETED ON PAGE 17
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 3rd December 2020, 02:09 PM
Post #21
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Dreams come true when the distance fades away

75. Keep On Pumpin' It (ft Visionmasters & Tony King) | 5.285 (Highest Scores: 9: Feel the Fever), Lowest Scores: 3.5/3: (Nina West, Red Blooded Man, HausofHitchcock)
74. All I See | 5.48 Highest Scores: 11: (ready for it), Lowest Scores: 0: (Stuart25)
73. New York City | 5.66 Highest Scores: 10: (___∆___,dabblie, ready for it, Nick F1), Lowest Scores: 1: (Pippa, Feel The Fever)
72. If You Were With Me Now (ft Keith Washington) | 5.666 Highest Scores: 10: (___∆___, Dannyboy), Lowest Scores; 1: (Tawdry Hepburn)
71. Higher (ft Taio Cruz) | 5.687 Highest Scores: 10: (elf), Lowest Scores: 1: (Red Blooded Man, Stuart25)

At #75 is one of Kylie's earliest collaborations Keep On Pumpin' It, a single by British producers duo Visionmasters (Paul Taylor and Danny Hybrid) and DJ Tony King. It samples Freestyle Orchestra's "Keep On Pumping It Up" & Kylie's track from her 4th studio album "I Guess I Like It Like That". The track was released in November 1991 & peaked at #49 on the UK singles chart. This marks an interesting little experiment for Kylie at this early stage in her career, already showing diversity with this underground club track. Okay I wouldn't call this a dance classic by any means, but its a good example of an artist trying something new that she would do better in later years.

At #74 is All I See, released in March 2008 as the lead single for the US market from her 10th studio album X. A version featuring rapper Mims was released to radio formats and included as a bonus track on the American edition of said album. The song contains an interpolation from Gap Band's "Outstanding". Musically the song is an R&B/Pop song that was chosen for the American market in order to boost her image there, but the song only managed to chart at #3 on the US Dance charts, as well as managing a #81 peak on the Canadian charts. Honestly think that they missed the mark by releasing as not only were there far better choices on the album, but it also doesn't represent the overall sound of it either, as this is rather low key. However this does have a nice mellow sound to it with some smooth & soothing vocals that flows along quite nicely. This is B-Side material at best.

At #73 is New York City, which was originally written for her 14th studio album Golden, but wasn't included on the final tracklist. However Kylie did showcase its demo on her 'Kylie Presents Golden' promo tour in New York, then again on her Golden tour as part of a Studio 54 medley, where it received acclaim from both fans and critics. The song was later included on her 4th major Greatest hits album Step Back In Time: The Definitive Collection where it was released as the lead single in May 2019. The song's recorded version contains a sample of Mylo's 'Drop The Pressure'' . When this first came out I really liked it as its a very fun little bop with some fun upbeat synth sounds & punchy production with a cool electronic vibe to it. Sure this won't go down as one of Kylie's strongest singles that doesn't really hold up, but its a nice little addition to her Greatest hits album.

I bet this will come as a surprise to many, in at #72 we have If You Were With Me Now, released in October 1991 as the 2nd single from her 4th studio album Let's Get To It & features American R&B singer Keith Washington. The song was released due to its favourable radio reaction, as originally 'Finer Feelings' was due to be released but was held back in favour of this as this was probably seen as a safer option. In the UK the song put her back into the top 5 with a #4 peak as well as being her first hit single to feature Kylie as a co-writer. Elsewhere it managed a top 10 peak in Ireland, but didn't fare quite as well in her home country Australia by reaching a #23 peak, along with top 40 in Belgium, then lower peaks in Netherlands & Germany. Despite both artists recording their parts separately this is still a pretty gorgeous ballad with some superbly emotional vocals on both sides. The production really gives this that slushy Disney ballad vibe, but its still a rather beautiful number even if it doesn't quite stand out in Kylie's discography. Plus whatever did happen to Keith Washington.

The last of this bunch is another big hit Higher, which was originally written for Kylie's 11th studio album Aphrodite, but plans fell through & was later given to English singer Taio Cruz as he was one of the writers & producers on the song where he recorded it as a solo on his 2nd studio album Rokstarr. The track was later released as the album's 5th single & was re-recorded to feature Kylie for the European market, while American rapper featured on it for the American market. Upon release the song was a massive success by reaching a #8 peak in the UK , as well as top 5 peaks in Norway, Poland, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, New Zealand & Slovakia, & top 10 peaks in 7 other countries, then top 20/40 everywhere else. At the time this was a fun catchy little bop that really gets stuck in your head & plus it was nice to see Kylie back in the top 10 again (even if it was her final time), but now it comes across as rather dated & very phoned in. No wonder Taio's career soon fizzled out after this, as this cynical formula was becoming fast becoming stale.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd December 2020, 02:23 PM
Post #22
Group icon

A quick re-cap of results 71-80

71. Higher (ft Taio Cruz) - 5.687
72. If You Were With Me Now (ft Keith Washington) - 5.666
73. New York City - 5.66
74. All I See - 5.48
75. Keep On Pumpin' It (ft Visionmasters & Tong King) - 5.285
76. On oublie la reste (ft Jenifer) - 5.026
77. Celebration - 4.98
78. Only You (ft James Corden) - 4.729
79. I Was Gonna Cancel - 4.66
80. Limpido (ft Laura Pausini) - 4.214
81. Lhuna (ft Coldplay) - 3.934

This post has been edited by Nina West: 3rd December 2020, 02:23 PM

+Quote this post
Qween
post 3rd December 2020, 02:29 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

All I See is terrible and symbolic of how utterly misjudged the efforts for her to ''break'' the US were. It sounds like it was focus grouped into existance because it ticked all the boxes for what did well in America without any actual understanding of why and also forgetting that MELODY is also generally important for a pop song.

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 3rd December 2020, 02:46 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

QUOTE(Nina West @ Dec 3 2020, 02:23 PM) *
A quick re-cap of results 71-80

71. Higher (ft Taio Cruz) - 5.687
72. If You Were With Me Now (ft Keith Washington) - 5.666
73. New York City - 5.66
74. All I See - 5.48
75. Keep On Pumpin' It (ft Visionmasters & Tong King) - 5.285

Forgot about Higher, I really liked it at the time, remember radio's snubbing her version for some other male singer at the time.

New York City was pretty bad. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 3rd December 2020, 03:12 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

IYWWMN and NYC getting robbed, there is always such a lack of love for IYWWMN despite it restoring Kylie to the Top 5 after the then flop of ‘Word Is Out’

Not a huge fan of ‘Higher’ now as I don’t think it’s aged well but I loved it at the time especially as it returned Kylie to the Top 10 and went silver

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 3rd December 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Wow If You Were With Me Now is waaaaaaaay to low, you lot just have no taste.

All I see deserves better too, always thought it was under appreciated, always liked it.

This post has been edited by Dannyboy: 3rd December 2020, 03:28 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post 3rd December 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Much too low for If You Were With Me Now.
It is a song some should revisit.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 3rd December 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(pippa @ Dec 3 2020, 04:57 PM) *
Much too low for If You Were With Me Now.
It is a song some should revisit.

Exactly this, although even Kylie doesn’t seem to be a fan of it either drama.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd December 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Kylie has long forgotten about the song which is annoying as its a song i still really like, the song was a big turnaround at the time in the charts after word is out shockingly completely missed out on top 10 when at that point she never had a song chart lower than number 6. If you were with me now going top 5 was a huge relief at the time.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd December 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #30
Group icon

2 of the songs in the next selection will be massive hits, 1 will be quite a shock, the other not so much...

Any guesses?

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 3rd December 2020, 08:28 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Nina West @ Dec 3 2020, 07:40 PM) *
2 of the songs in the next selection will be massive hits, 1 will be quite a shock, the other not so much...

Any guesses?

unsure.gif Buzzjack are not known for great choices at times - it’s probably something ICONIC like ‘I Believe In You’

I’m sure poor ‘Tears On My Pillow’ will be making an appearance too drama.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd December 2020, 09:25 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Im expecting tears on my pillow, kids and wow to get low places.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 4th December 2020, 01:31 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

New York City polling higher votes than If You Were With Me Now is a travesty.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 4th December 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #34
Group icon

Fabrications complicate the world in a web

70. Tears On My Pillow | 5.82 Highest Scores: 9.5: (___∆__), Lowest Scores: -1: (Tawdry Hepburn)
69. G.B.I. (German Bold Italic) (ft Towa Tei) | 5.931 Highest Scores: 10:(___∆__ ), Lowest Scores: 3: (Davidson, HausofHitchcock)
68. Better Than Today | 6.04 Highest Scores: 9: (dabblie, Qween), Lowest Scores: 1: (dandy)
67. Especially For You (ft Jason Donovan) | 6.04 Highest Scores: 10: (Nina West, ___∆__, elf), Lowest Scores: -1:(Davidson)
66. Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) | 6.08 Highest Scores: 10: (Nick F1), Lowest Scores: 1.5: (dandy, Stuart25)

Kicking off the top 70 is the first Kylie chart topper to drop Tears On My Pillow, released in January 1990 as the 4th & final single from her 2nd studio album Enjoy Yourself, as well as also being included on the soundtrack of the film 'The Delinquents', which she also starred in. The song as you may or may not know is a cover of a 1950's doo-wop song sung by Little Anthony and the Imperials. Upon release the song continued Kylie's success into the new decade by becoming her 4th UK #1, as well as hitting top 10 peaks in Ireland, Finland & Belgium, along with top 20 peaks in Spain, Netherlands & Australia, then finally top 40 peaks in New Zealand & Germany. This is a very faithful cover of the original that perhaps adds very little to the original, but this is a really nice ballad where Kylie's vocals shines, especially on the final chorus where she really stretches those notes. However its no shock that this has ended up so low on here as it doesn't really pop like most of her other stuff from this era. But it did give her a big #1 hit so that's something I guess.

At #69 is one of Kylie's oddest offerings to date G.B.I. (German Bold Italic), a song by Japanese American music producer Towa Tei & released in September 1997 as the lead single from his 2nd album Sound Museum. The song is a "minimalist" house-techno track with lyrics portrayed Minogue as a typeface called "German Bold Italic", with her vocals performed in a tongue-in-cheek style. Upon release many critics praised the track for its distinctiveness within Minogue's catalogue, while others consider the track to be one of the important artistic moves that define her musical career. Commercially the song wasn't very successful by peaking at #50 in Australia, while faring even worse in the UK with a #63 peak. This has to be one of Kylie's most interesting & diverse singles of her back catalogue where her completely spoken vocals are as eerie as they are seductive, but they’re also quite fun and whimsical. While the song is an adventurous offering, it's perhaps a little too out there to really enjoy.

At #68 is the first of 2 Aphrodite singles to drop in this bunch with firstly Better Than Today, released in December 2010 as the album's 3rd single. The track was originally written and produced by Nerina Pallot and Andy Chatterley for Pallot's 2009 extended play, 'Buckminster Fuller EP'. It was then re-recorded by Kylie in 2009 & performed in the same year on her 'For You For Me' concert tour in the USA. Upon release the song got mixed reviews & despite strong promotion it only managed a #32 peak on the UK charts & not faring any better elsewhere with lower peaks in Australia & France. The single choice NOBODY wanted & one of the oddest as I wouldn't really call this one of the album's strongest or stand out moments. While it is a fun little bouncy number with some nice drum-beats, its standard at best & SHOULD have stayed on the album.

Up next & tying with the previous track is another big chart topper to drop in this bunch at #67 is Especially For You, which is a total shocker as this doesn't deserve to be ranked this low at all. Released in November 1988 & features her then boyfriend & Neighbours co-star Jason Donovan as the 2nd single from his debut album Ten Good Reasons & upon release it received many positive reviews from older and contemporary critics, who deemed it one of the strongest of each singer's album, but also dubbed the song a classic. The song had commercial success, reaching number one in the UK, Ireland, Greece and Belgium and peaking inside the Top 5 in countries including Australia, New Zealand, France, Finland and Switzerland. Whether you like it or not, but this slushy little ballad is an all-time KYLIE CLASSIC!. The chemistry between the both artists really shines through as they really help sell the romantic theme of the song beautifully. Sure this track is dipped in pure cheese, but I don't care & will always have a soft spot for this until the end of time.

The last of this bunch in at #66 is Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love), released in May 2011 as the 4th & final single from her 11th studio album Aphrodite. Despite Kylie herself stating that there would be no more singles after the disappointing peaks of the previous 2 singles, it was decided that this would get a release, although a lot more scaled back than previous as this was released as digital bundle along with a radical remix titled 'The Pete Hammond Mix' Upon release the song had very limited success with a top 40 peak in Austria, top 50 in Australia & a minor dent on the UK charts with a #93 peak. This deserved so much better than the raw deal it goy with barely any hype, video or promo as its a brilliant euphoric dance number with a strong chorus, fantastic electro guitars & stellar production. If this got released as the 3rd single instead of 'BTT' , then this could have easily been a much bigger hit & be more fondly remembered as on the whole its just a really good track.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 4th December 2020, 01:51 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

No huge shocks here except for especially for you, I expected it to be higher than this.

This post has been edited by Dannyboy: 4th December 2020, 01:52 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post 4th December 2020, 01:54 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Those 5 songs I do enjoy.
Especially For You usually doesn't poll so badly.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 4th December 2020, 02:04 PM
Post #37
Group icon

5 More will follow later, 2 of which will be X-Mas songs, 2 will early/PWL tracks & 1 big #2 hit

Any guesses?

Plus thanks for all your comments so far, do you guys like my commentaries.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 4th December 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Dec 3 2020, 09:25 PM) *
Im expecting tears on my pillow, kids and wow to get low places.

The fact ‘Kids’ is anything other than last place already makes it too high kink.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2020, 02:37 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Not surprised by that placing for Better Than Today, it was always maligned (I imagine in part because it was chosen as a single, had it just been an album track I reckon it would be more fondly remembered). It's just such a BOP, but it does sound very Nerina-with-a-budget.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 4th December 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Tears On My Pillow' is too high.

I really like 'Better Than Today' as a song, I just wish it hadn't been a single. I do love a bit of 'GBI', it's very out there and wacky.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:25 AM