BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter 2017: Week #27, somewhere i lost a piece of me // + links + write-up
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Jul 3 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Reversal at the top this week as There For You becomes the first track since I started doing these to return to #1 after previously holding it and slipping off. Last week’s topper, Power, slips to #2 after two weeks wearing the crown. Scandi-folk/darkpop duo Elsa & Emilie, and DJ Khaled with Rihanna complete this week’s top 5 along with third-week holder of #4 Paperwhite. Jax Jones’ Instruction and Lady Gaga’s album title track Joanne are new entries into the top 10 this week. Joanne becomes Gaga’s second top 10 from the parent album and third total since I started these charts back last August. It’s also her fifth charting track from the Joanne era which has definitely been a slow burner for me, and a lot of her wider fans, I’d wager. Instruction, meanwhile, has already outpeaked Jax Jones' pinnacle for previous charter You Don't Know Me, and already looks to be in a good position to challenge for the top spot in weeks to come.

There’s a few new peaks within this week’s top 20, mainly holdovers from last week, while Jhene Aiko and Sage the Gemini move into the top 20 for the first time. This week has comparatively few new entries total; highest going to DeJ Loaf’s No Fear, which I considered sending to this month’s BJSC but ultimately stepped away from. That debuts within the top 20. Other new entries this week come from Dua Lipa, BLACKPINK, Joseph & Maia, Matilda, Bear’s Den and Henry Fong featuring Nyla (of Major Lazer – Light It Up fame).
Those will be getting individual video links and a bit of commentary later on in the week, so check back and that’ll save you having to search them out individually, I’ll update the thread title accordingly when those are done.

For now, the top 40 for this first week of July:

01 Martin Garrix ft. Troye Sivan - There For You [1-2-2-1]
02 Little Mix ft. Stormzy - Power [7-1-1-2]
03 Elsa & Emilie x Dulsae - Chains of Promises [30-6-3]
04 Paperwhite - Only Us [30-4-4-4]
05 DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna + Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts [14-5]
06 Jax Jones ft. Demi Lovato + Stefflon Don - Instruction [33-6]
07 Lady Antebellum - Heart Break [12-7-7]
08 Lady Gaga - Joanne [29-15-8]
09 Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj - Rake it Up [25-7-9-9]
10 Maraaya ft. BQL - It's Complicated [16-10-10]
11 London Grammar - Wild Eyed [21-12-11]
12 MisterWives - Coloring Outside the Lines [26-13-13-12]
13 Lana Del Rey ft. The Weeknd - Lust For Life [35-X4-29-3-3-3-13]
14 Lorde - Sober [27-20-14]
15 Sage the Gemini - Reverse [21-15]
16 Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling [6-5-5-16]
17 Halsey ft. Lauren Jauregui - Strangers [6-8-17]
18 Jhene Aiko - While We're Young [24-18]
19 Anitta - Paradinha [33-19-19]
20 DeJ Loaf - No Fear [N]
21 BLACKPINK - As If It's Your Last [N]
22 HAIM - Want You Back [20-9-16-22]
23 Blood Orange & Nelly Furtado - Hadron Collider [27-23]
24 Heart - Two [38-24]
25 liv - Heaven [40-25]
26 Arcade Fire - Everything Now [32-18-22-26]
27 Mura Masa ft. Charli XCX - 1 Night [18-14-18-27]
28 Charming Horses ft. Grace Grundy - You Get What You Give [40-32-36-28]
29 Dua Lipa - Genesis [N]
30 Bear's Den - Broken Parable [N]
31 Matilda - Illusion [N]
32 Naked and Famous - Last Forever [26-17-32]
33 Foster the People - SHC [27-23-28-33]
34 Kasabian - Wasted [26-34]
35 Steve James ft. LIGHTS - Warrior [29-35]
36 Joseph & Maia - Pouring Light [N]
37 Vaults - Lifespan [24-30-37]
38 Rebecca & Fiona - Pop Bitches [32-38]
39 VERITE - Saint [39-34-39]
40 Henry Fong ft. Nyla + Stylo G - Young Hearts [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (2)
Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone (3)
Lady Gaga – The Cure (1)
Wale ft. Major Lazer, Dua Lipa + WizKid – My Love (1)
Syn Cole ft. Nevve – Sway (2)
Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan – There For You (1)
Little Mix ft. Stormzy – Power (2)
Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan – There For You (~)

Where can you see what I’m listening to? My spotify A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Jul 7 2017, 11:14 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jul 7 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #2
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Not so many new entries as the last few this week means this section will be a bit shorter than usual. Average number of weeks any song has lasted in the chart is accordingly longer this week, moving closer to 4 weeks, led by Lust For Life's 6 week reign over two bites. (Wish she'd hurry up and release her new song after announcing it over a week ago!)

So, for this week's brand newies:

Think this is DeJ Loaf's solo debut charter. The rapper/R&B singer has gone more commercial on this latest release, and it's a direction that suits her, I think. Her previous charter for me also had her on vocal (on Casey Veggies' Tied Up, from 2016) despite her being best known for her rhymes. She's another one of those ladies who's been on the cusp of breaking through into the bigtime for a few years now (Tinashe, anyone?). This one's definitely a step in te right direction for that.

Second highest this week's a new one from K-Pop leading ladies BLACKPINK. It's the girls' first release of 2017 and directly follows up for me their #1-peaking Playing With Fire. They're my second K-Pop charter this year following their own predecessors 2NE1, who landed a top 5 with final release Goodbye back in January.

Squeaking in just inside the top 30 after a few weeks just outside the top 40, Dua Lipa lands another track this year with album cut Genesis. The song's the first one from the album that stuck out to me, although I'm expecting all the (few) non-single releases to see their moment in the sun. Genesis marks Lipa's fifth charter so far this year for me, following #6-peaking Lost In Your Light with Miguel, and three #1s, more than any other artist so far this year.

Indie for the next few. First up, one of my favourite unexpected discoveries of the last year or so, Bear's Den, an indie, Mumford-lite band minus the overt Christian rock overtones, with their fourth charter for me. I've been rationing the album and would not be surprised to see all the tracks chart eventually as they catch me. The band's previous three charters all managed top ten peaks; only time will tell whether this one bucks or follows the trend. This band are just great, definitely up there with Bastille as one of our best from the last few years for me.

And from UK to Norway, with Matilda. She's another Scandipop indiegirl singer in the vein of Sigrid, who's been about making waves for the last few months, and MARLENE, who should be seeing a high-profile launch of her own soon. I'm kicking myself for not submitting her to Buzzjack Song Contest 96. matilda's got some solo work out there and some nice collaborations, too.

Indie folk/country now with Joseph & Maia. This definitely ticks my country crossover fan boxes, with a great male/female duet vocal in the vein of Little Big Town or Pink's You+Me album. The duo are very under the radar for now, so I'm really happy to share them on and help them reach, hopefully, some new fans.

Finally this week closes with Nyla, alongside Stylo G and Henry Fong, the lead artist who's also the one of the three I know the least about. Young Hearts is a solid, tropical and dancehall influenced dance anthem, just about what you'd expect from the names involved. It's also the second track named Young Hearts to peak at #40 for me this year, oddly enough (following NoMBe's earlier effort a few months back).

That'll do us for this week. Hope anyone reading enjoyed discovering some new things, and as ever, feel free to comment and let me know biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:38 AM