BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> One_For_Sorrow's P!nk's Albums Listen Through, All 10 albums done!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
One_For_Sorrow
post 20th February 2023, 05:56 AM
Post #1
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

So it dawned on me a little before Trustfall was released that I'd only ever listened to 2 of P!nk's 8 studio albums from start to finish in one listen. (The Truth About Love & Beautiful Trauma) Though I have loved almost all of her singles and even some album tracks from the 2 albums I had heard in full. (I'll be including the 'you+me' album in this).

After each album I'll aim to post some short thoughts on what I thought about it, the singles I liked, the album tracks I liked and also what I would've done for the singles run.

Also after each album I'll update my ranking list.

Please feel free to comment below with your thoughts, feedback or opinions. smile.gif

Going in order I'll be kicking off with Can't Take Me Home.

*I started this over the weekend and have already crossed off the first 3 albums.

One_For_Sorrow's Rank of P!nk's Albums:

1. Funhouse
2. I'm Not Dead
3. The Truth About Love
4. Trustfall
5. Beautiful Trauma
6. Missundaztood
7. Hurts 2B Human
8. Try This
9. Rose Ave (You+Me album)
10. Can't Take Me Home

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 10th March 2023, 09:23 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 20th February 2023, 06:08 AM
Post #2
Group icon
---

Can't Take Me Home

Like many I was introduced to P!nk through her debut single There You Go. It was one I enjoyed on first listen and even my brother liked it. (He actually purchased the single back in 2000). Then Most Girls was released and I thought 'Yep, I can see myself liking this P!nk. Even if her style of music wasn't my favourite'. Most Girls also featured on my copy of So Fresh Autumn 2001 (An Australian equivalent of the NOW series), it was actually a reason I picked up that compilation. A little later on You Make Me Sick was released and whilst like the first two it was all over Australian TV, but I found myself tiring of it quickly and whilst I had many other musical priorities at the time I decided against asking my parents for the album.

Listening to it now for the first time I can see I didn't miss much at the time. Whilst it reminds me a little of TLC in some places. It's a nice introduction to P!nk, even if she didn't really revisit this style afterwards.

Singles I liked: There You Go & Most Girls
Album Tracks I liked: Split Personality, Hell Wit Ya & Private Show
My singles run: There You Go, Most Girls, Split Personality & You Make Me Sick

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 20th February 2023, 06:23 AM
Post #3
Group icon
---

Missundaztood

OK confession time, when Get The Party Started was first released towards the end of 2001 I was not a fan. I'm not really sure why, there was just something about it at the time that just didn't click with me. Don't Le Me Get Me on the other hand was love at first listen, I was the first P!nk single I purchased myself with some of my pay from my work for the local football club. Just Like A Pill was incredible even if it was only a radio single over here, but I found Family Portrait rather depressing as 14/15 year old. I again opted not to purchase the album as I was starting to go through a phase where I was losing a little interest in music.

Listening to it now though there are some absolute highlights including the singles and some great albums tracks. Overall I'm glad P1nk shifted into this direction musically as I think it's one that fits her perfectly. And yes I've come around to Get The Party Started and Family Portrait now.

Singles I liked: All four
Album Tracks I liked: 18 Wheeler & Catch 22
My singles run: Get The Party Started, Don't Let Me Get Me, Just Like A Pill & 18 Wheeler

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 20th February 2023, 06:24 AM

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 20th February 2023, 06:25 AM
Post #4
Group icon
---

Side not: Is there a studio version of the 18 Wheeler (explicit)?

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 25th February 2023, 02:38 AM
Post #5
Group icon
---

Try This

OK confession time, I had really low expectations going into listening to this for the first time. None of the singles really did anything for me, Trouble was ok but the other two I didn't like at all. Nor did I like Feel Good Time. Almost 20 years on though and with a first ever play through of this album my opinions are starting to change. As a whole this album surprised me, there were quite some good songs on here that I quite enjoyed. Tonight's The Night, Catch Me While I'm Sleeping and Humble Neighbourhoods.

Overall though I found this to be a step back from Missundaztood, saying that though it doesn't quite rank last on my list of P!nk albums.

Singles I liked: Trouble
Album Tracks I liked: Tonight's The Night, Catch Me While I'm Sleeping, Humble Neighbourhoods & Save My Life
My singles run: Trouble, Catch Me While I'm Sleeping, Humble Neighbourhoods & God Is A DJ

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 25th February 2023, 02:39 AM

+Quote this post
troublepink
post 25th February 2023, 08:59 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Feb 20 2023, 06:08 AM) *
Can't Take Me Home

Like many I was introduced to P!nk through her debut single There You Go. It was one I enjoyed on first listen and even my brother liked it. (He actually purchased the single back in 2000). Then Most Girls was released and I thought 'Yep, I can see myself liking this P!nk. Even if her style of music wasn't my favourite'. Most Girls also featured on my copy of So Fresh Autumn 2001 (An Australian equivalent of the NOW series), it was actually a reason I picked up that compilation. A little later on You Make Me Sick was released and whilst like the first two it was all over Australian TV, but I found myself tiring of it quickly and whilst I had many other musical priorities at the time I decided against asking my parents for the album.

Listening to it now for the first time I can see I didn't miss much at the time. Whilst it reminds me a little of TLC in some places. It's a nice introduction to P!nk, even if she didn't really revisit this style afterwards.

Singles I liked: There You Go & Most Girls
Album Tracks I liked: Split Personality, Hell Wit Ya & Private Show
My singles run: There You Go, Most Girls, Split Personality & You Make Me Sick

CTMH isn't an album I go back to often, although I do love Most Girls. It does have some good tracks on it, but its just not the type of music I'm into anymore.
At the time of its release though, I was listening to TLC a lot, so when I first heard There you go, that was where my love for Pink started.

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Feb 20 2023, 06:23 AM) *
Missundaztood

OK confession time, when Get The Party Started was first released towards the end of 2001 I was not a fan. I'm not really sure why, there was just something about it at the time that just didn't click with me. Don't Le Me Get Me on the other hand was love at first listen, I was the first P!nk single I purchased myself with some of my pay from my work for the local football club. Just Like A Pill was incredible even if it was only a radio single over here, but I found Family Portrait rather depressing as 14/15 year old. I again opted not to purchase the album as I was starting to go through a phase where I was losing a little interest in music.

Listening to it now though there are some absolute highlights including the singles and some great albums tracks. Overall I'm glad P1nk shifted into this direction musically as I think it's one that fits her perfectly. And yes I've come around to Get The Party Started and Family Portrait now.

Singles I liked: All four
Album Tracks I liked: 18 Wheeler & Catch 22
My singles run: Get The Party Started, Don't Let Me Get Me, Just Like A Pill & 18 Wheeler

My favourite P!nk album heart.gif This was the first Pink album I bought (I just had a copy of CTMH laugh.gif ). I played it to death until I had to buy a new copy. I think I have about 5 copies of this album now, with different versions etc.

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Feb 25 2023, 02:38 AM) *
Try This

OK confession time, I had really low expectations going into listening to this for the first time. None of the singles really did anything for me, Trouble was ok but the other two I didn't like at all. Nor did I like Feel Good Time. Almost 20 years on though and with a first ever play through of this album my opinions are starting to change. As a whole this album surprised me, there were quite some good songs on here that I quite enjoyed. Tonight's The Night, Catch Me While I'm Sleeping and Humble Neighbourhoods.

Overall though I found this to be a step back from Missundaztood, saying that though it doesn't quite rank last on my list of P!nk albums.

Singles I liked: Trouble
Album Tracks I liked: Tonight's The Night, Catch Me While I'm Sleeping, Humble Neighbourhoods & Save My Life
My singles run: Trouble, Catch Me While I'm Sleeping, Humble Neighbourhoods & God Is A DJ

One of my favourite Pink eras, and the first era where I saw her live.
I like how underrated this album is, as like you say, people are surprised when they give it a first listen. There are some amazing tracks on there, Unwind being a particular favourite track of mine.
I love when Pink is more 'rock music', which is why when songs like can we pretend, secrets, trustfall etc are released, I have to really make myself like them sometimes laugh.gif

Great reviews so far, looking forward to seeing the rest, will you be giving you+me album a listen as well?

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 25th February 2023, 09:49 AM
Post #7
Group icon
---

Thanks troublepink! Appreciate the comments. smile.gif

I was actually thinking about the you+me album today. I think I will, though I'm still undecided.

I also listened to I'm Not Dead today, so I'll get that written up tomorrow. Also aiming to listen to Funhouse as well. Really anticipating this one.

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 26th February 2023, 05:54 AM

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 25th February 2023, 10:45 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Try This is a a classic case of strong album but the best singles being album tracks (in a similar way to Madonna’s American Life another 2003 album that followed from a massive album and then another massive album followed that laugh.gif )

It’ll forever feel like her “forgotten era” and I suppose every superstar has one era that doesn’t perform to their usual standards in the commercial sense but I love it as a whole album. I think Try This has aged better than some of her more successful albums laugh.gif

This post has been edited by JLJ: 25th February 2023, 10:53 AM

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 25th February 2023, 01:34 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Try This was my very first Pink album! I had loved the singles from the M!ssundaztood era so much but I was only 13/14 and struggled to save for the album but by the time I could, Try This was out and I bought that instead first. I loved rock Pink so much and the singles really did sell the album for me. It did feel like more of a flop era than it was at the time and I genuinely wasn’t sure if Pink would pull it back in terms of being commercial.

Eventually I got M!ssundaztood the same day I got I’m Not Dead which are now my top 2 favourite albums by her. There was something about her in that second era. Get The Party Started was different from what came before and also what came soon after. Don’t Let Me Get Me and Just Like A Pill we’re amazing singles, the former resonating with how I was feeling about myself at the time and the latter just being such a well written song-no.1 on my 14th birthday as well!

I didn’t buy Can’t Take Me Home until just before she released her GH and I only really did to be a completist. I liked Most Girls a lot at the time but when I first saw her perform There You Go on Top Of The Pops, I wasn’t truly bowled over asides from the pink hair though it’s a decent tune. I didn’t appreciate You Make Me Sick at all really and was never a huge RnB fan, hence not getting the album earlier. I go back to it every now and then and it’s a very strong album but just not really my style. Or hers.

It’s funny because I think lots of people would like her to go down that route again, but I’m glad she hasn’t.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 26th February 2023, 02:26 AM
Post #10
Group icon
---

I'm Not Dead

If 'Try This' was a slight underperformance for P!nk then I'm Not Dead was a triumphant return to form for her. I can still remember hearing and seeing the music video for Stupid Girls on a Saturday morning in early February 2006. I thought P!nk's back, that's great! And whilst I didn't mind it on first listen it wasn't until Who Knew where I thought 'this is it' but there was still something I couldn't quite connect with. It wasn't until October 2006 that I fully loved this song and it became my favourite of hers at the time. (It was used in my high school graduation video and it suddenly just clicked). I also remember at the time of U + UR Hand's release the comparisons it drew to 4Ever by The Veronicas for sounding quite similar, so naturally I loved that one as well. Then in 2007 something happened, in what seems like out of nowhere P!nk Fever hit Australia, she was in the country for almost 2 full months for the tour, my sisters went at least once... I think they may have gone twice. My younger sister bought all her albums and between the three of P!nk's singles were in heavy rotation, especially Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely) and U + UR Hand.

Back to the album though, it's a very strong offering which had 7 singles in Australia, something which wasn't very common at the time. It was around this time that I really started to get into P!nk though and it's a love that would only grow, as I'll go into in further album reviews. From start to finish though I'd say this is the most I've enjoyed a P!nk album so far. There's very little filler on here for me.

Singles I liked: Who Knew, U + UR Hand, Nobody Know, Last To Know, Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely) & Cuz I Can
Album Tracks I liked: Long Way To Happy, I'm Not Dead, Runaway & Centrefold
My singles run: Cuz I Can, Who Knew, U + UR Hand, Stupid Girls, Long Way To Happy, Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)/Nobody Knows

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 26th February 2023, 05:53 AM

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 26th February 2023, 05:47 AM
Post #11
Group icon
---

QUOTE(JLJ @ Feb 25 2023, 10:45 AM) *
Try This is a a classic case of strong album but the best singles being album tracks (in a similar way to Madonna’s American Life another 2003 album that followed from a massive album and then another massive album followed that laugh.gif )

It’ll forever feel like her “forgotten era” and I suppose every superstar has one era that doesn’t perform to their usual standards in the commercial sense but I love it as a whole album. I think Try This has aged better than some of her more successful albums laugh.gif

Agree completely. I actually wanted to replace God Is A DJ as my 4th single with either Tonight’s The Night or Save My Life. Nit sure why I didn’t actually.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 26th February 2023, 05:52 AM
Post #12
Group icon
---

QUOTE(T Boy @ Feb 25 2023, 01:34 PM) *
Try This was my very first Pink album! I had loved the singles from the M!ssundaztood era so much but I was only 13/14 and struggled to save for the album but by the time I could, Try This was out and I bought that instead first. I loved rock Pink so much and the singles really did sell the album for me. It did feel like more of a flop era than it was at the time and I genuinely wasn’t sure if Pink would pull it back in terms of being commercial.

Eventually I got M!ssundaztood the same day I got I’m Not Dead which are now my top 2 favourite albums by her. There was something about her in that second era. Get The Party Started was different from what came before and also what came soon after. Don’t Let Me Get Me and Just Like A Pill we’re amazing singles, the former resonating with how I was feeling about myself at the time and the latter just being such a well written song-no.1 on my 14th birthday as well!

I didn’t buy Can’t Take Me Home until just before she released her GH and I only really did to be a completist. I liked Most Girls a lot at the time but when I first saw her perform There You Go on Top Of The Pops, I wasn’t truly bowled over asides from the pink hair though it’s a decent tune. I didn’t appreciate You Make Me Sick at all really and was never a huge RnB fan, hence not getting the album earlier. I go back to it every now and then and it’s a very strong album but just not really my style. Or hers.

It’s funny because I think lots of people would like her to go down that route again, but I’m glad she hasn’t.

I have to agree, I don’t think I mentioned it but the singles really hit me too. Don’t Let Me Get Me particularly and to a degree Family Portrait. I remember hearing and seeing Just Like A Pill all over radio and television at the time, so I was surprised to find out it either got canceled as a single or a limited release. As it only peaked at #97 or something. Would’ve been a sure fire too 10 for her.

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 26th February 2023, 05:53 AM

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 27th February 2023, 08:49 AM
Post #13
Group icon
---

Funhouse

Now we come to the first P!nk album I purchased. Funnily enough I never listened to it in full as I made the mistake of getting it along with six or seven other albums on the same day and it kind of just fell off my radar sadly. Looking back I'm just slightly kicking myself as it's such a great, strong album. I think it's my favourite to this point. It's also the one I have the most good memories attached to. It was around 2007/8 that my friends started getting their drivers licence and one of my best friends and I were obsessed with Sober, Bad Influence and Ave Mary A, along with songs from I'm Not Dead. We'd go driving and blast these songs and just sing along. It was also at this time that P!nk turned into a touring force and an honorary Australian after spending a little more than 3 months here for hr Funhouse Tour. 58 shows across the country, 17 of which were held at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena. She set two records that are yet to be broken, most shows in Australia on one tour and most shows at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena for one tour. It's safe to say Australia loved P!nk!

On the album itself it is so strong from start to finish with only one song I wasn't keen on, Crystal Ball, and whilst I'm not the biggest fan of So What it was the perfect choice as lead single. It's also home to Sober, my favourite P!nk song for quite a while, Please Don't Leave Me, Bad Influence, Ave Mary A and one of my new favourites I Don't Believe You. My one negative with this era was that Bad Influence never got a proper music video. I'd imagined it would've been so good too. I would've also like to have seen Ave Mary A get the proper single treatment rather than 'Promotional Single' treatment in Australia, but that would've made it single 8 from the album.

Singles I liked: Sober, Please Don't Leave Me, Bad Influence, I Don't Believe You
Album Tracks I liked: One Foot Wrong, Mean, It's All You're Fault, Ave Mary A, Why Did I Ever Like You, This Is How It Goes Down
My singles run: No Change

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 27th February 2023, 08:52 AM
Post #14
Group icon
---

I also revisited The Truth About Love today and am aiming to do the You+Me album tomorrow.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 27th February 2023, 01:42 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

'I Don't Believe You' deserved better officially but then again it was like the 5th or 6th release from it so I guess not too surprising it only peaked at 62 I think.

Funhouse is still her best album of the ones I own but Truth About Love runs it close.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 28th February 2023, 01:22 AM
Post #16
Group icon
---

QUOTE(Roba. @ Feb 27 2023, 01:42 PM) *
'I Don't Believe You' deserved better officially but then again it was like the 5th or 6th release from it so I guess not too surprising it only peaked at 62 I think.

Funhouse is still her best album of the ones I own but Truth About Love runs it close.

Agreed, I Don't Believe You has only just hit me. It's incredible, definitely suffered from being one of the last singles in a long singles campaign.

The Truth About Love is really good too. That's up next for me. smile.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 28th February 2023, 01:58 AM
Post #17
Group icon
---

The Truth About Love

Back in 2012 my hype for a new P!nk album was at a then all time high. I loved f***in' Perfect, Heartbreak Down and Whataya Want From Me from her greatest hits and I also loved Bridge of Light. So when news of a sixth album broke I was pretty excited, then along came the lead single Blow Me (One Last Kiss) and that excitement went into overdrive. To this day it remains my favourite lead single from her 9 albums. I bought deluxe version of this on release day along with the 2 iTunes exclusive tracks Chaos & Piss and Timebomb. I later also purchased the CD Single of Blow Me (One Last Kiss) just for the b-side The King Is Dead but The Queen Is Alive. The version I listened to yesterday was the fan edition which comes in at 20 songs in total. Whilst that's a considerably long album it is mostly high with only a few skippable songs on it for me, I could probably edit it down into a solid 13 track album if I wanted to. The choice of lead single was perfect, Try was a great follow up and Just Give Me A Reason is incredible, True Love on the other hand is one I've never been fully sold on. Walk of Shame is one of my all time favourite P!nk songs and the fact we never got a proper video for this still disappoints me.

Walk of Shame, Blow Me (One Last Kiss), $l*t Like You & Timebomb became staples on road trips with friends too which add to the affectation I have for this album. Also of the 4 deluxe track I felt the Is This Thing On? and in particular Run should've been on the standard album. I think Run would've been a great final single too. On the tour front if you thought 17 shows at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena was impressive P!nk went one better this time with 18 shows at the venue, beating the record she previously set four years earlier. Impressively this was the #1 selling album in Australia in both 2012 and 2013.

Singles I liked: Blow Me (One Last Kiss), Try, Just Give Me A Reason, Walk of Shame
Album Tracks I liked: How Come You're Not Here, $l*t Like You, Timebomb, My Signature Move, Is This Thing On? & The King Is Dead but The Queen Is Alive
My singles run: Blow Me (One Last Kiss), Try, Just Give Me A Reason, Walk of Shame, How Come You're Not Here, Run

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 28th February 2023, 02:01 AM
Post #18
Group icon
---

Up next will be the you+me album.

It'll be a much shorter review though.

It may be a cop out but I can't split I'm Not Dead & The Truth About Love. so they are tied second for me.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 28th February 2023, 09:21 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I honestly find the entirety of The Truth About Love a real slog to get through, and feel like you've pretty much picked the only worthwhile tracks (which kind of says it all that a chunk of them aren't even on the main edition of the album)

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 28th February 2023, 09:16 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

I’m Not Dead is easily my favourite Pink album, it’s my favourite ever album. I didn’t know if it’d be a success but I loved it all the moment I heard it. I had to wait a month to buy it as I had to save up and I was doing my AS exams at the time so was really busy but I got it I think the week Who Knew was released which of course became one of my favourite Pink songs.

Funhouse definitely feels like a commercial peak for Pink. I’m Not Dead had proved that she, well, wasn’t dead and Funhouse completely capitalised on that. So What was huge and I’d argue a probable signature song for her. I was having a great time at uni when it first came out and about 6 months later it really helped me out when I was being bullied.

The Truth About Love isn’t one of my favourite albums by Pink though I still enjoy it. It has a fantastic run of singles and they’re all clumped together on the album but the rest isn’t her strongest stuff. 20 tracks in full is a slog and bizarrely a lot of the bonus tracks are much better than the main album ones. Try and Just Give Me A Reason are clearly highlights and well thought of but Blow Me (One Last Kiss) is my absolute fave. It premiered when I was in my first school having a crap time and the song really captured how I was feeling. I posted last Summer that the song has resonated with me the same way again with the end of my last job. Of course, I’d just started at my last school when this album came out and it was the soundtrack to a really happy period of my life.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:47 PM