BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 3rd May 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 3rd May 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Happy bank holiday weekend people, hope you've all got something nice planned for the long break. It's Friday and time as always to count down my new top 20 for this week. Seven days ago, Rak-Su were celebrating their second number one single, but have they held onto the top in the face of new entries or current hits? Here's your answer...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 3rd May 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (HNE) MARK RONSON FEAT. LYKKE LI - Late Night Feelings
2. (2) AVICII FEAT. ALOE BLACC - SOS
3. (3) THE VERONICAS - Think Of Me
4. (1) RAK-SU - Yours or Mine
5. (4) JONAS BROTHERS - Sucker
6. (5) OLLY MURS - Feel The Same
7. (6) ELLIE GOULDING - Sixteen
8. (7) BUSTED - Shipwrecked In Atlantis
9. (NE) THE VAMPS - Missing You
10. (10) MABEL - Don't Call Me Up

11. (8) LSD - Heaven Can Wait
12. (9) EMMA BUNTON FEAT. JADE JONES - You're All I Need To Get By
13. (NE) VAMPIRE WEEKEND - This Life
14. (NE) JOHN NEWMAN - Feelings

15. (12) WESTLIFE - Better Man
16. (13) JESS GLYNNE - No One
17. (14) P!NK - Walk Me Home
18. (11) MOLLY HOCKING - I'll Never Love Again
19. (15) KELLY CLARKSON - Broken & Beautiful
20. (17) LAUV FEAT. JULIA MICHAELS - There's No Way

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

It's now sixteen years since the first Mark Ronson single 'Ooh Wee' made its debut on my chart, and a little over eleven years since his first number one 'Stop Me' with Daniel Merriweather. His last single, 'Nothing Breaks Like A Heart' with Miley Cyrus spent eleven weeks on the top 40 of my chart from December onwards, without ever scaling higher than #21 in January.

But this week the Transatlantic super producer emphatically claims his second chart topper, with 'Late Night Feelings' debuting straight in at number one - the third such record in as many weeks to do so. It is also the first number one for Ronson's collaborator on the track, Swedish songstress Lykke Li, who until today had only got as high as #26 on my chart with 'Little Bit' back in September 2008.

It is interesting to speculate how my chart might have looked this week, because had we not had Mark Ronson's commanding debut at the top, we would have been looking at an almost entirely static top 10. Either way, Rak-Su (who drop three to #4 with 'Yours Or Mine') would've lost their chart crown to Avicii and Aloe Blacc, who hold firm at #2 for a second week with 'SOS'.

The only other newcomer to the top 10 this week are The Vamps, currently on another UK tour in support of their new EP 'Missing You', the title track of which gives them an eighth top 10 hit this week, entering at #9 - some three places below their last hit 'All The Lies' which made a fairly in-out appearance at #6 back in March.

Finally this week, it's welcome back to my top 20 for both Vampire Weekend and John Newman. The former's 'This Life' is the lead single from their fourth studio album 'Father of the Bride' (released today) and easily sails past the #27 placing they achieved with their previous biggest hit on my chart, 'A Punk', back in October 2008. For Newman, 'Feelings' is the lead single off a purported but as yet untitled third album, and gives him a fifth top 20 hit if one includes 'Feel The Love', his chart topper with Rudimental seven years ago to the week in May 2012.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2001: S Club 7 make it seventh heaven with a seventh straight number one for their classic 'Don't Stop Movin', plus retro hits from Destiny's Child, Missy Elliott and Gabrielle

1. (HNE) S CLUB 7 - Don't Stop Movin'

2. (1) DESTINY'S CHILD - Survivor
3. (2) MISSY ELLIOTT - Get Ur Freak On
4. (5) GABRIELLE - Out of Reach
5. (3) RONAN KEATING - Lovin' Each Day
6. (4) EMMA BUNTON - What Took You So Long?
7. (NE) FATBOY SLIM - Star 69 / Weapon of Choice
8. (6) JANET JACKSON - All for You
9. (7) SHAGGY FEAT. RICARDO 'RIKROK' DUCENT - It Wasn't Me
10. (8) HEAR'SAY - Pure & Simple
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 3rd May 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello ThePensmith!
Nice to see "Late Night Feelings" debut at #1, as well as the debut for "This Life" and "Feelings"!
I really enjoy "This Life" right now, one of my favourites right now and "Feelings" is still a great joyful song!
Great chart!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 3rd May 2019, 05:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Thanks Sergej! I'm one of those weird people who seems to love Mark Ronson only on his less, shall we say, popular/ubiquitous stuff? But 'Late Night Feelings' is such a great track - definitely my song for this summer I think! Not much competition in the coming weeks yet so could be in for a long run!

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 8th May 2019, 10:29 PM
Post #4
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Love that Mark Ronson track, grown on me so much since it came out.

Nice to see Vampire Weekend there as well! Quick correction - Harmony Hall was the lead single from the album, this is the second. wink.gif

This post has been edited by WhoOdyssey: 8th May 2019, 10:30 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:04 PM