BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blue Peter, John Noakes
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
DanChartFan
post Jun 1 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,866
   No Gallery Pics

Blue Peter today paid a short tribute to the legendary John Noakes at the end of this week's show (yep, the show is only once a week now!). I wondered what people thoughts were on it. Given how far removed the current show is from the show of the 60s and 70s, and how long ago he must seem to the young target audience, I wasn't sure if he'd even get more than say a endcap with his pic and dates, so I was pleased(ish) to see that they had given over the last minute of the show to him, and especially to hear how genuinely heartfelt and respectful the presenters were when speaking about him (particularly when compared with the delivery style of the presenter (don't know her name) on Newsround on Monday covering the news of his death). On the other hand short clips used were fairly brief and some were a little random, so more than 1 minute overall might have been preferable. I seem to recall that Caron Keating's memorial in 2004 was more like 3 minutes (and she left in 2000, so she would have been relatively unknown to the target audience of 2004 too, so it isn't a case of her having greater relevance to the then audience than John would have to the current one).

If you haven't seen it you can catch it on iplayer (am I allowed to link it here?)

Also I would love to hear what buzzjacker's favourite memories of John Noakes were, regardless of whether you were an original viewer, or only saw some of his best bits being repeated in later years.

RIP John, reunited with Shep and Patch now.

This post has been edited by DanChartFan: Jun 1 2017, 06:28 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jun 1 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #2
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

My parents loved John Noakes, were very upset about his passing.

Blue Peter was a massive part of my childhood. In my earliest memories, Tim Vincent, Dianne Louise Jordan, Anthea Turner and Stuart Miles were presenting and I vividly remember watching Katy Hill, Richard Bacon, Romana D'Annunzio, Konnie Huq, Simon Thomas, Matt Baker and Liz Barker presenting the show.

+Quote Post
DanChartFan
post Jun 1 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(T Boy in Weeyals @ Jun 1 2017, 07:39 PM) *
My parents loved John Noakes, were very upset about his passing.

Blue Peter was a massive part of my childhood. In my earliest memories, Tim Vincent, Dianne Louise Jordan, Anthea Turner and Stuart Miles were presenting and I vividly remember watching Katy Hill, Richard Bacon, Romana D'Annunzio, Konnie Huq, Simon Thomas, Matt Baker and Liz Barker presenting the show.

I watched throughout that era too! Although my earliest memories are of Mark Curry, Caron Keating and Yvette Fielding, and I think I have very hazy memories of the tail end of Simon Groom, Peter Duncan and Janet Ellis's era as it overlapped with Mark and Caron. Admittedly I was rather old for the show by the time of the likes of Matt and Liz! The thing is that even though he was well before my time I was still very aware of who John Noakes was at the time, as Blue Peter often referenced the things he'd done back then, showed clips etc. Plus I had (and still have) all the annuals and most of the other tie-in books, almost all the videos, the CD-rom etc

I hope there is some sort of primetime tribute to John on the Beeb at some point. And any 60th anniversary celebrations for the show next year would be another opportunity for his legacy to be remembered. I would love, for example, a Blue Peter DVD, with complete films/segments or even full episodes from a given year or era, or themed ones drawing from all eras....

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 1 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

John Noakes was very much my era, He was a presenter for the whole of the time I watched the programme so I shed a tear or two on Monday. I watched today's show to see whether they said anything. Well, I say I watched it. I recorded it so I fast-forwarded through most of it. I'm glad they did something for him although they could have said something about the clips. I don't think the clips of him up Nelson's Column did justice to what an extraordinary thing it was for him to do.

+Quote Post
DanChartFan
post Jun 1 2017, 09:17 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 1 2017, 09:04 PM) *
John Noakes was very much my era, He was a presenter for the whole of the time I watched the programme so I shed a tear or two on Monday. I watched today's show to see whether they said anything. Well, I say I watched it. I recorded it so I fast-forwarded through most of it. I'm glad they did something for him although they could have said something about the clips. I don't think the clips of him up Nelson's Column did justice to what an extraordinary thing it was for him to do.

Exactly, although what they said was nice they didn't really put him or his feats in any sort of context. Back in the day they would have said the years he presented from, Who replaced him when he left (Your starter for ten: anyone remember who that was?) and his achievements, including the five mile freefall and nelson's coulumn and so on. But being on once a week now I guess their time is far more at a premium during the actual broacast programme than it was back in the day, but maybe they should put a longer version on their webpage/iplayer for anyone interested.

I watched the whole show today, and although it was a live outside broadcast (not sure how common either of those things are in the current series) I thought they did a good job, and Lindsey in particular was very good at ab-libbing around minor unexpected things, and came across to me as a really good presenter. Radzi seem pretty good too. Barney was the only presenter I've seen presenting before, but if this had been the only time I saw him then I wouldn't be sure what to think, as the other two seemed to do most of the show whilst Barney watched them. Barney certainly didn't seem like the senior presenter of the line-up today, but then I guess they've all been there a good few years now I suppose.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jun 1 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #6
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Konnie Huq, Simon Thomas, Matt Baker and Liz Barker were the ultimate presenters from my childhood and Katy Hill. Not sure what Blue Peter will do for 60.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 13 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mack @ Jun 1 2017, 11:15 PM) *
Konnie Huq, Simon Thomas, Matt Baker and Liz Barker were the ultimate presenters from my childhood and Katy Hill. Not sure what Blue Peter will do for 60.

There's a one-hour special on Tuesday at 17:00.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Oct 14 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #8
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I watched Blue Peter from about the age of 5 until I was about 11 or 12? So when I started watching it, it was (I think) the Tim Vincent, Diane Louise Jordan and Stuart Miles lineup, eventually going through Katy Hill, Romana D'Annunzio (anyone remember her?), Konnie Huq, Simon Thomas and Matt Baker.

I even entered one of the competitions once, in hopes of trying to get a BP badge. Alas I was never to get one and was thus deprived of free trips to Madame Tussauds. Matt was probably my favourite presenter because he was such a good sport with everything he did, and I loved his dog Mabel.

It was also a good place for pop acts to go and promote their new releases on (and still is to a certain extent, although probably less so now given how the charts work these days). I remember for instance, S Club 7 doing their first performance of 'Bring It All Back' on the show.

+Quote Post
DanChartFan
post Oct 16 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I've just seen the live 1 hour show for the 60th birthday (had to get up early specially, being a nightshifter lol). First off I was quite relieved that they apparently gave over two studios to the show to fit everything , and everyone, in, as I had thought they'd try to squash all the past presenters into their usual tiny set space on the 3rd or 4th floor (whichever it is).

It was great to see all the past presenters return, well nearly all of them. Over on digitalspy someone asked who was missing, but as my repeated attempts to subscribe to the forums there keep failing I'm going to answer that here, in the hope that somebody uses both forums and can relay my answer:
Firstly Christopher Trace, Michael Sundin, Caron Keating and John Noakes are sadly no longer with us (and I have to admit to feeling a little emotional seeing Val and Pete sat there without John to complete the big three, despite them being well before 'my' era of the show). They specifically addressed the absence of two other presenters, Mark Curry (a little bit under the weather apparently, though he was on the one show the day before and looked ok then) and Matt Baker (who sent a video explaining that he wasn't there as he has to do the one show later (so apparently having an hour to get from the Blue Peter studios to the One Show studio in the same building wasn't enough, or else the One Show has an exclusivity contract on him these days?). Gethin Jones also seem to have been absent, though this wasn't addressed. But assuming the picture on digitalspy shows every presenter that was there (i.e. none had nipped out at the time the photo was taken), then there was also an enitre presenting team apparently missing, as Simon Groom, Christopher Wenner and Tina Heath were not there. I don't think any of three have missed reunion episodes of this nature before (20th, 35th, 40th), so it did surprise me, since Simon was such a long serving presenter, Christopher has always been very enthusiastic about returning for reunions (I believe I've read somewhere), and I believe Tina's husband still arranges music for the show to this day. The whole line-up being absent does make me wonder if the current editor is of the right age to have been watching at the time Pete, John and Lesley left in quick succession and were replaced by Simon, Christopher and Tina (with Chris and Tina themselves then leaving fairly soon after) and at the time viewed the new team as poor replacements for Val, John and Pete (as lots of viewers did at the time), and whether some of that subconciously affected the invitation decisions?

As for those who were there, that was all 27 of the others. I was especially pleased to see Richard welcomed back into the Blue Peter family, and actually given a line on the live show to boot, though I suspect Stuart (who I only realised afterwards was even there) might have wondered why he wasn't the one stood beside Katy and Konnie helping with the competition reveal. I also love that Katy Hill had just one line to get right... and fluffed it good and proper! Oh yeah, and during the make item, where pairs of presenters took in turns to be given random items to attach to the mystery make, I do wonder why Tim decide to affix his two pink rounded pieces to the dog-like creation that had thus far been made in such a manner that they appeared to be a pair of breasts (or is my 35 year old mind no longer able to just accept an innocent interpretation lol).

Someone on digitalspy was asking if Romana was there, and I'm pretty sure she is the one peering over Val's shoulder in the photo. I know some where wondering about Simon Thomas too, given his being tragically widowed not so long ago, but he was not only there, he actually helped present one section of the show (and did very well too).

Whilst I'm writing did anyone see the press release that went round the media a few weeks ago that every single episode that survives (I estimate about 4600 of the 5026 or so shows) has been digitised, and we will soon be able to find and share our own particular favourite moments from the show. Wonder if that will be whole episodes or just selected clips though. Making about 4600 full episodes available online would be a huge technical challenge, and, I assume, a licensing nightmare, given all the different shows, films, music and other intellectual properties that have featured in the show over the years. But if they do make all the old shows fully available then what era, and what particular moments, might you want to look for and share?

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 16 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for that review Dan. I've not seen the show yet so can't comment much. As I said at thte start of the thread, the John Noakes / Valerie Singleton / Peter Purves team was very much "my team". I can just about remember Peter being introduced as the new member of the team. That means I'm sure I will feel there is something missing when I see him and Val without John sad.gif

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 23 2018, 01:58 PM
Post #11
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

It was three presenters until Barney left, I think.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 23 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I think the rule has generally been that the number of presenters is one more than the number of programmes per week.

I saw the special episode at the weekend and rather enjoyed it. It was, though, rather sad not to see John Noakes with Pete and Val.

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Oct 23 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #13
A dead mouse (from my cat)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 23 2018, 05:35 PM) *
I think the rule has generally been that the number of presenters is one more than the number of programmes per week.

I saw the special episode at the weekend and rather enjoyed it. It was, though, rather sad not to see John Noakes with Pete and Val.

They had 3 from 2013 to 2017 with 1 show a week.

+Quote Post
David William
post Nov 1 2018, 09:46 AM
Post #14
New Entry
Member No.: 78,378
   No Gallery Pics

John Noakes is a legend have done great projects specially for children.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:04 PM