BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Melanie C - 'Beautiful Intentions', 2005 • 3rd Album / 18th Anniversary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Babyboy
post 12th April 2023, 06:17 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611

It was a nice album back then, now it aged badly imo.
Also she should have chosen a fourth single.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
tommie
post 12th April 2023, 06:24 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Eeh, I don't think there's any real hit on there if we're being quite frank here. It's... eerr, not the worst, but more middle-of-the-road that she started with Reason.

I was surprised she didn't even try with First Day of My Life in the UK though. Maybe radio pluggers had an adverse reaction to it, but on the other hand I doubt they had a better reaction to Better Alone.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th April 2023, 08:39 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Beautiful Intentions was a good album, the main problem is the very cheap production...

+Quote this post
vibe
post 12th April 2023, 08:49 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

LPOM shouted hit to me especially after NBS reached the top 10!

Choosing BA was a terrible idea and she did it twice sad.gif

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 12th April 2023, 09:18 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

‘Better Alone’ was a bit too much of a downer (especially after the cynical edge of Next Best Superstar). I’d have liked to see ‘Last Night on Earth’ as the second single - to remind us that Melanie C is a fun artist.

Also ‘Don’t Need This’ would’ve sounded great on radio. To me, it has a bit of P!nk’s ‘Try This’ sound. Admittedly, a much more budget production though.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 12th April 2023, 09:23 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 12 2023, 11:39 AM) *
Beautiful Intentions was a good album, the main problem is the very cheap production...

There's nothing "cheap" about the production. The album was produced by Greg Haver, who has also worked with respectable bands such as the Manic Street Preachers, Catatonia, Super Furry Animals and Bullet for my Valentine.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 12th April 2023, 10:08 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I don’t get the cheap production comments people make either tbh.

Last night on earth was screaming for release for me.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 12th April 2023, 11:45 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 24 2020, 12:43 PM) *
I loved this album upon release but it's aged terribly. The production sounds incredibly dated now and the lyrical content is hard to wade through these days. Next best superstar is still a great song and up there with her best.

I've always hated the front cover, she looks terrible. FDOML you can see why it was a hit, very anthemic and a big sing along chorus. Better alone as a single still baffles me, it's possibly Mel's most boring song ever.

This is still exactly my opinion on it now.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th April 2023, 11:50 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Apr 12 2023, 09:23 AM) *
There's nothing "cheap" about the production. The album was produced by Greg Haver, who has also worked with respectable bands such as the Manic Street Preachers, Catatonia, Super Furry Animals and Bullet for my Valentine.

Yes it was produced by Greg, but maybe on the cheap... It just sounds so dated and flat...

+Quote this post
isanka
post 12th April 2023, 12:27 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,486

She should have released these 4 songs as singles. It would have been perfect

This post has been edited by isanka: 12th April 2023, 12:28 PM

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 12th April 2023, 01:16 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 12 2023, 02:50 PM) *
Yes it was produced by Greg, but maybe on the cheap... It just sounds so dated and flat...

The album was recorded 19 years ago. Rock has gone out of fashion since then.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 12th April 2023, 02:42 PM
Post #52
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

18 years! drama.gif It's been a long time since I gave the album a full play, but I was pretty obsessed with it throughout 2005 and 2006. I agree there were missed single opportunities - Last Night on Earth would have shown a more fun side to the album.

I feel like Better Alone is a good song but not a good single. Considering that she opted against selling the physicals in stores like HMV, which at the time made it chart ineligible in the UK... a decision we assumed was made so she saved herself a flop chart position... it will always seem curious to me that she then gave it another try in Europe, even with a brand new music video, just to be met with fairly meh chart positions that did nothing to ride the wave of First Day of My Life.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th April 2023, 02:50 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Apr 12 2023, 02:42 PM) *
18 years! drama.gif It's been a long time since I gave the album a full play, but I was pretty obsessed with it throughout 2005 and 2006. I agree there were missed single opportunities - Last Night on Earth would have shown a more fun side to the album.

I feel like Better Alone is a good song but not a good single. Considering that she opted against selling the physicals in stores like HMV, which at the time made it chart ineligible in the UK... a decision we assumed was made so she saved herself a flop chart position... it will always seem curious to me that she then gave it another try in Europe, even with a brand new music video, just to be met with fairly meh chart positions that did nothing to ride the wave of First Day of My Life.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. teresa.gif

Yep, never understood the strategy. Better Alone is a great album track, but terrible single choice. To do it twice was just blink.gif She should have followed NBS with a more upbeat song. I never liked LNE that much but I could see it gaining some success and keeping the album a bit alive at least.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 12th April 2023, 03:35 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

I did understand the logic of wanting to follow the huge success of FDOML with another ballad. It's not like she had other radio-friendly ballads on the album to choose from. Maybe You'll Get Yours?

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post 12th April 2023, 03:53 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Better Alone killed the moment. It was no good as a single for the summer.
And It was a bad choice after FDOML.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th April 2023, 04:10 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I don't think there really would have been much of a "moment" after the album's release, I mean it was impressive that she got 'Next Best Superstar' into the top 10 independently but I can't imagine she'd have got another single in the top 40 with a full release of it, or helped the album sell much more than 10 extra copies.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 12th April 2023, 04:16 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

I mean, I'd still at least try First Day of My Life in the UK - I know part of it's success in Germany was that it was tied to a tv show, but it charted well beyond that in a bunch of countries. Maybe she didn't want to commit to a UK re-release, still, it's probably one of the few "missed" opportunities in Mel's career.

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post 12th April 2023, 04:50 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(tommie @ Apr 12 2023, 05:16 PM) *
I mean, I'd still at least try First Day of My Life in the UK - I know part of it's success in Germany was that it was tied to a tv show, but it charted well beyond that in a bunch of countries. Maybe she didn't want to commit to a UK re-release, still, it's probably one of the few "missed" opportunities in Mel's career.

It was not her decision. Warner thought the song was not radio friendly for UK market.
Melanie said this during the live chat on youtube.

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 12th April 2023, 04:55 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

Definitely a cohesive record in terms of style -- just as cohesive as This Time, really. Next Best Superstar was a good way to kick it off and I was shocked that it charted as high as it did in the UK given the anti-Spice movement. It got a wee bit of play on radio here in Canada, but I think her pushing Better Alone twice was ... a choice. I can understand why she did it though; it perfectly aligned with the general public's anti-Spice movement so in my opinion, it was a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" decision. Only it backfired because the fans were mostly spillover fans from the SGs, and given the fact that Melanie's attitude towards the SGs was consistently rotted during interviews during this era, it didn't help matters.

Last Night On Earth was a missed opportunity; it's stadium ready, loud and has a positive energy.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 12th April 2023, 05:06 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Babyboy @ Apr 12 2023, 07:50 PM) *
It was not her decision. Warner thought the song was not radio friendly for UK market.
Melanie said this during the live chat on youtube.

Warner had nothing to do with this decision. She was affiliated with Warner Music Germany only.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 08:26 PM