BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
31 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Chart Flashback
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 3rd October 2019, 02:18 PM
Post #361
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

*in Lisa Scott-Lee voice* Jo O'Meara went in at #13. And Jenny, poor Jenny. Bloody hell. I feel sorry for her biggrin.gif

I was gonna say that Basement Jaxx song felt like a bigger deal than it's chart position would suggest. I remember ITV used it on a big promo advert for their 50th birthday celebrations around the time of its release:

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 3rd October 2019, 02:27 PM
Post #362
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I used to not really rate 'Push The Button', but it has grown on me exponentially over the years.

I do miss this period of time really, I was still a teenager.

+Quote this post
robbied
post 4th October 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #363
Group icon
New Entry
User: 12,047

QUOTE(Robbie @ Oct 3 2019, 02:00 PM) *
A great single by The Sugababes. It's my favourite by them. The number 1 album was 'Piece By Piece' by Katie Melua, on sales of 120,549.

Sales information from Music Week was a bit thinner on the ground back then...

SINGLES

78282 Sugababes
39612 Pussycat Dolls
24176 Sean Paul
20775 Kanye West
20374 Liberty X

13340 Tatu (8)
12267 Charlotte Church (10)
10652 Jo O’Meara (13)
9617 Paul Weller (15)
1250 Johnny Panic (78)

ALBUMS

120549 Katie Melua
49356 David Gray
45951 James Blunt
38290 Jamie Cullum

23592 Corrs (14)
10514 Mariah Carey (33)

COMPILATIONS

25980 Acoustic Love

I know you mentioned data is a bit scarce for this period so this info is great...is there anywhere I can access music week/sales figures for 2003-2006 as that seems to be the period that's missing for me?

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 4th October 2019, 02:05 PM
Post #364
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

^
I've sent you a PM.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 10th October 2019, 06:38 PM
Post #365
Group icon

10 October 2019

Official Charts Flashback: Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle
Christina's synthy, suggestive debut single ruled the UK singles chart 20 years ago.
By Rob Copsey

1999 was a year when pop was undergoing a dramatic transformation ahead of the new Millennium. In America, a new breed of ultra modern and super-slick popstars were being launched - and three with a long history together were leading the charge: Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake (with his group N Sync) and Christina Aguilera.

The three of them found success in the early '90s as child stars on US variety show The Mickey Mouse Club, but 1999 was the year they each went truly global.

For Christina, it was with Genie in a Bottle. A synthy, suggestive number about the anxieties around going all the way, the track was just provocative enough to create a stir ("it's a song about self-respect, people don't get that" she protested in an interview at the time), while Christina's powerful vocal delivery ensured that, despite comparisons to Britney, she stood out as a rare talent.

Genie In A Bottle was co-produced and written by David Frank, who drew inspiration from his 1980s R&B group The System to create the track. Unusually the song was largely finished before being offered out to artists; Christina eventually recorded it as a late addition to her debut album. David goes into depth about the making of the song here, noting that he was initially unsure Christina was right singer for the track after being sent her recording of her ballad Reflection for Disney's Mulan, released a year earlier.

The appetite for 'Genie In A Bottle' was so strong in the UK that the track spent five weeks in the lower half of the Top 100 before its official UK release, charting on import sales after being released in America some weeks earlier. When it came to release week proper, it charged to Number 1 with opening week sales of 173,000. To date, Genie's total chart sales stand at 906,000, including 21 million streams.

Genie In A Bottle was the first of what currently stands as four UK chart-toppers for Christina; her most recent Top 40 singles entry is Say Something, a collaboration with A Great Big World that topped out at Number 4 in 2014. View Christina's Official UK Chart history here.

Meanwhile, Genie In A Bottle has remained pop culture staple in the years since. As well as recording a Spanish version of the song for her second album Mi Reflejo, Christina reworked the song into a dark electropop number for her 2008 greatest hits, called Genie 2.0. In 2016 it was covered by Dove Cameron for Disney Channel series Descendents: Wicked World, and in 2017, Camila Cabello sampled the track on her first single Crying In The Club.

Elsewhere on the UK's Official Singles Chart this week in 1999, Ann Lee's Eurodance hit 2 Times was new at Number, erm, 2, and what would be the last Top 10 single by Irish quartet B*Witched, Jesse Hold On, landed at Number 4. Further down, there were new entries for The Eurythmics, Charlatans and soap-star-turned-pop-star Adam Rickitt.

View the full official UK top 40 singles from this week in 1999.

Source: OCC

I must admit 'Genie In A Bottle' - and at a push 'What A Girl Wants' - are the only songs of Christina's I actually enjoy, and even then only in their studio versions. I was very much Team Britney and still am.

Some great songs in that week's chart - loved the Eurythmics and James singles that were new in the top 20 that week. Did quite like B*Witched's 'Jesse Hold On' too and I was sad the press wrote them off after it went to #4, but I must admit 'Jump Down' aside (original version, not the single mix) that was probably the only definite stand out single on 'Awake & Breathe' that had the same magic as their first four number ones.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 10th October 2019, 06:39 PM

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 11th October 2019, 06:23 PM
Post #366
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

15 years ago we almost had a record 8 new entries in the top10:

01 NE Robbie Williams - Radio
02 01 Eric Prydz - Call On Me
03 NE Rachel Stevens - More More More
04 NE Khia - My Neck My Back
05 NE Duran Duran - Sunrise
06 03 Deep Dish - Flashdance
07 NE Lucie Silvas - What You're Made Of
08 NE Angel City - Do You Know
09 NE Christina Milian - Whatever U Want
10 02 Ronan Keating - I Hope You Dance
11 NE Brandy - Afrodisiac

This post has been edited by Euphorique: 11th October 2019, 06:24 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 11th October 2019, 06:53 PM
Post #367
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Roman Keating as always ruining the charts back then. Yes for Khia and Angel City tho.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 11th October 2019, 07:25 PM
Post #368
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon

Yeah that was a pretty lame cover.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 11th October 2019, 07:39 PM
Post #369
Group icon
Break the tension

QUOTE(Euphorique @ Oct 11 2019, 08:25 PM) *
Yeah that was a pretty lame cover.

It was absolutely horrific. I still to this day can't believe people actually bought it.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 12th October 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #370
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Oct 11 2019, 08:39 PM) *
It was absolutely horrific. I still to this day can't believe people actually bought it.

I actually cant remember how it goes anymore, but I remember thinking it was such a bad cover of one of the best country songs.
Not surprised it was a hit, back then anything he did charted high.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 24th October 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #371
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...t-wings__27573/

Five stools, one key change, and a third Number 1 hit of the year. 1999 belonged to Irish boyband Westlife.

The five Westlife lads had already had an amazing year with their first two singles, Swear it Again and If I Let You Go, going straight in at Number 1. The band had benefited from an association with supporting Boyzone on tour the previous year and, apparently being managed by Ronan Keating, under the watchful eye of their actual manager, future X Factor judge Louis Walsh.

But the songs spoke for themselves, and it was Flying Without Wings that established the band's reputation as kings of the emotional, rousing ballad, a formula they would return to again and again over the course of their career.

Starting off with lead singer Shane Filan's characteristically understated vocals, Flying Without Wings slowly adds instrumentation, and the other band members – including a particuarly powerhouse turn from Mark Feehily – and builds and builds until you wonder how big it could possibly get. By the final third of the song, we get the payoff, and what would become another future Westlife trademark – the all-important key change, helped along by a gospel choir.

Flying Without Wings wasn't the first boyband ballad, nor is it the biggest selling, but it was certainly influential. After Flying Without Wings, what self-respecting boyband would dare stay seated on a stool for a key change? Stand, boys!

Flying Without Wings was written by British songwriters Steve Mac – who's helped create hits for Pink, Little Mix, and Ed Sheeran among others – and Wayne Hector, who's worked with artists including Olly Murs and Nicki Minaj, and would write a total of seven Westlife Number 1s. For Wayne, Flying Without Wings was a life-changing moment, and a song he says he is particularly proud of. "A big moment for me was when Flying Without Wings came out," Wayne told us back in 2015. "I’d had a few Number 1s at that point, but that convinced people I could write good pop songs. After that, I started working with bigger acts and over a more diverse range of genres, including country and rock, which helped me pick up some credibility." Read the full interview with songwriting supremo Wayne Hector.

Flying Without Wings has soundtracked births, proposals, marriages, funerals, and untold TV talent show montages over the last two decades. Back in that first week, it shifted over 92,000 copies, toppling Christina Aguilera's Genie in a Bottle from Number. It spent just a week there, before another boyband came along to claim the top spot, as was often the case back in the nineties – this time, it was Five's Keep On Movin'.

Flying Without Wings is the fourth biggest song of Westlife's career overall, with 316,000 physical sales, 171,000 downloads, and 16 million streams to its name. The band had fourteen Number 1 singles in their heyday and recently reformed (without Brian McFadden, who left in 2004) for a new album and tour to celebrate their twenty years together. The band have had two Top 40 hits this year, most recently Better Man, which reached Number 26. See all Westlife's chart hits in their archive

Also celebrating the 20th anniversary of first charting this week include Backstreet Boys' epic Larger Than Life, Bug-A-Boo from Destiny's Child, Tina Turner's When The Heartache is Over, and Foo Fighters' Learn To Fly.

01 (NE) Westlife - Flying Without Wings
02 (01) Christina Aguilera - Genie in a Bottle
03 (57) R. Kelly - If I Could Turn Back the Hands of Time
04 (02) Ann Lee - 2 Times
05 (NE) Backstreet Boys - Larger Than Life
06 (04) Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
07 (03) ATB - Don't Stop
08 (09) Macy Gray - I Try
09 (NE) Destiny's Child - Bug a Boo
10 (NE) Tina - When the Heartache is Over

11 (NE) OnePhatDeeva - In and Out of My Life
14 (NE) Simply Red - Ain't That a Lot of Love
16 (NE) Eternal - What'cha Gonna Do
21 (NE) Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly
26 (NE) Barbra Streisand & Vince Gill - If You Ever Leave Me
30 (NE) Tal Bachman - She's So High
31 (NE) Brainchild - Symmetry C
32 (NE) Triple X - Feel the Same
38 (NE) Russell Watson - Swing Low '99
40 (NE) M3 - Bailamos

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 24th October 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #372
Group icon
Break the tension

Forget Wasteoflife, that Backstreet Boys song at #5 is a PROPER boyband pop gold nugget. wub.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 24th October 2019, 10:19 AM
Post #373
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

meh, it's one of Westlife's more tolerable songs but Christina should've really been #1 over them.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 24th October 2019, 12:30 PM
Post #374
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

'Genie In A Bottle' almost managed a third week at number 1:

1: Flying Without Wings - 92k
2: Genie In A Bottle - 87k

4: 2 Times - 76k
5: Larger Than Life - 56k
8: I Try - 42.1k

Album Top 5:

1. Come On Over - Shania Twain - 58.5k
2. Us And Us Only - Charlatans - 40k
3. The Man Who - Travis
4. Peace - Eurythmics - 29k
5. Awake And Breathe - B*Witched 27k

6. On How Life Is - Macy Gray - 25.3k
12. A Love Like Ours - Barbra Streisand 12.5k

Compilations

1. Now Dance 2000 - 44k

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 24th October 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #375
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Genie in a Bottle is the only great track in that top 10, deserved a longer stay at #1

+Quote this post
jszmiles
post 24th October 2019, 02:28 PM
Post #376
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 1,161

good old chart when we had some movement....

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 24th October 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #377
Group icon

This very chart from the Radio 1 chart show just so happens to be preserved on Mixcloud - Scott Mills' first one as a cover host for Mark Goodier too! https://www.mixcloud.com/gailmartin60/radio...h-october-1999/

I must admit I've given 'Flying Without Wings' a positive reappraisal since Westlife made their comeback at the start of this year. Some other points of note to discuss on this chart:

- This was Macy Gray's fourth week in the top 10 with 'I Try'. It would be another four weeks before it reached its peak of #6 - including three straight weeks locked at #7. Unheard for that time or indeed since!
- Tina Turner trading mononymly at #10 with 'When The Heartache Is Over'. This was one of a wave of old divas reappearing at the year's end - Diana Ross the week after this included with 'Not Over You Yet' who tried their hand at a dancefloor stomper a la Cher's 'Believe' the year before (and largely failed). Brian Rawling and Metrophonic produced this as well as 'Believe'.
- Eternal's last ever single at #16, 'What'cha Gonna Do'. This was when they had been reduced to just a duo of Easther and Vernie Bennett, after they unceremoniously fired Kelle Bryan by fax the previous summer (her solo single 'Higher Than Heaven', which was largely way better than this, got to #14 a few weeks prior to this).

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 25th October 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #378
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

#3 at the time was listed as a new entry - the #57 position from the previous week was based on import sales, with the import release having a different catalogue number to the domestic release and thus considered a different entry.

#10 was the basis for Freemasons' 2005 hit Love On My Mind which reached #11.

#11 was a mash-up of Adeva's In And Out Of My Life with the backing of Fatboy Slim's Right Here Right Now.

#30 was the son of Randy Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive. The song, which did get a fair bit of airplay, was later a #25 hit for Norwegian singer Kurt Nilsen in 2004.

#38 was released to tie in with that year's Rugby World Cup. The other such song was Shirley Bassey & Bryn Terfel's version of World In Union which had charted at #35 the previous week.

#40 was the second track called Bailamos to chart in as many months (unsurprisingly no others have charted either before or since), following Enrique Iglesias' #4 hit.

+Quote this post
danG
post 27th October 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #379
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Listening to the start of that mixcloud link and lol as if they turned an opera version of Swing Low into a trance track !!
That M3 track is sounding good on first listen though.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 27th October 2019, 09:57 AM
Post #380
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I Try probably the biggest song in that top 10!

+Quote this post

31 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:31 PM