BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Kylie and Dannii: Neighbours and Home & Away
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post Jun 9 2020, 03:47 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Its possible that both scott and charlenes kids will make a return at some point and if my some miracle they ever persuade kylie to make an appearance they will surely be part of it.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 18 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Her first episode is on YouTube in full:

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 18 2021, 05:59 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
A role that played a big role in Kylie becoming a legendary icon.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 18 2021, 06:18 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I miss the days of been so excited to see the daily neighbours fix especially the charlene and scott stuff, 2 of the most well remembered characters of any soap.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 18 2021, 08:51 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The most iconic Neighbours couple.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 18 2021, 10:34 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I cant believe its 35 years, these anniversaries make me feel so old as I remember watching kylies neighbours debut.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Apr 19 2021, 07:12 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
I swear the scripts were better then. Cheesy, yes, but the stories actually moved along at a pace. These days soaps tend to show characters having the same conversations over and over again. I miss the cartoonish style of the Aussie soaps in the 80s/90s. It was a fun time.

This post has been edited by McAndrew: Apr 19 2021, 07:13 AM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 19 2021, 01:33 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Neighbours had a great balance back in the day and the scriots were better or possibly alot more realistic than some of them are now,

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 19 2021, 03:16 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
It is best Kylie never returns as Charlene is a legend and a return could take away from the legacy.
That said, I would welcome Kylie celebrating her time on the show for anniversaries of the show.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 23 2021, 07:49 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 18 2021, 06:56 PM) *

Her first episode is on YouTube in full:

The best days and times - Neighbours was all anyone spoke about at the time, I’ve not seen it for at least 10+ years now, it’s a shame it’s just kind of faded away after how huge it was

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 23 2021, 10:01 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Yes at that time Neighbours was so huge, at school everyone talked about it it was just so huge, hard to believe an episode in the afternoon could pull 20 million viewers.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 23 2021, 11:49 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Neighbours played a pivotal role in Australian tourism due to Neighbours and culturally was a huge success for Australia.

+Quote this post
markivj
post Apr 24 2021, 01:25 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 78,351
Thanks to Feel_The_Fever for starting this thread! So much to write on both N and H&A.....

IMHO, Between Charlene and Emma, Charlene was the winner.

When Charlene joined N, without even knowing that K would one day become an icon, she just had that wow factor. From her entrance (the way she punches Scott), to her constant fights with madge, she was always challenging the norms for a teenage white girl in the 80s: she was probably the only cast member who consistently got great story lines. Everything about the character was unconventional both for Neighbours as well as 80s soap operas: her career (mechanic, which in the 80s for a teenage girl was a huge thing), the proposal (Scott proposes to her whilst she's still at work with oil smear on her face in her uniform!).... that it all just made it all the more iconic. Even her departure wasn't a picture perfect one (example - a typical exit those days with husband, etc.), but the strong headed Charlene recognises a biz opportunity in Brisbane and leaves her husband behind.... just everything from start to finish was always different / left field for her character (especially those days, and for a show as tame and safe as Neighbours never challenging social norms or makeup). I can't think of anyone else who had that much of scriptwriter's love with interesting storylines...probably Mark Brennan from the 2010-13'ish days?? I wonder what the point was in bringing Daniel and Madison for such short lived storylines. Their chemistry with Paul was awful!

Emma on the other hand.... I couldn't tell her from the wallpaper on H&A as she was like the gazillion other rebellious kids on that show. She got a few meaty storylines...but so did most people on H&A (in a sense that - storylines amongst characters on H&A inc the shock ones seemed more egalitarian). If anything, I think Melissa George ended up being the more iconic character to come out of H&A (Although I personally don't like both Melissa and Angel). Another thing that stood in Emma's disadvantage was that H&A had a "me too" on Neighbours. N paved the way for a small time, Aussie soap to be a killer on UK (international) airwaves. H&A also proved to be equally successful, yes, but was always seen as version 2.

In a lot of ways, Dannii and Emma have had similar parallels to Kylie and Charlene - the later 2 just "came in earlier" and hence not only saw more popularity but enjoyed more "iconic" and longer lasting status. Isn't it funny how even to this day, when K's name comes up, Neighbours/Charlene somehow finds a way of being mentioned. But for Dannii, I rarely see H&A being mentioned. If anything, her stint on X Factor UK and the playboy mag are talked about more (and she was really really good on X Factor, one of the more authentic genuine judges on the panel).

This post has been edited by markivj: Apr 24 2021, 01:59 AM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 24 2021, 01:51 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
X Factor and to a lesser extent playboy relates to Dannii more so than Home and Away, her character was in no way iconic in Home and away at all for me. There are parallels with Charlene and Kylie that you pointed out really well in your post. God i can still remember when Kylie left Neighbours her final scenes left me devastated for ages, i felt like one of friends had moved away.

+Quote this post
markivj
post Apr 24 2021, 01:58 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Apr 23 2021, 06:51 PM) *
God i can still remember when Kylie left Neighbours her final scenes left me devastated for ages, i felt like one of friends had moved away.

We all did!

In hindsight, for the show, I don't even think that's a good thing. Because H&A's ratings never suffered because a single character left. Neighbours on the other hand, even in the 90s (pre- Internet and streaming and all), it was never able to recapture its glory after the Charlene - Scott - Henry days. The producers tried and tried to bring in interesting characters (at least according to them) like Annalise and that English chic who shags Dr. Karl kennedy (forgot the name).... but it just never worked.

I personally don't care for either H&A or Neighbours these days as the shows, and Aussie popular culture itself is becoming so American-wannabe that I feel I'm watching another American soap with Aussie accents.

+Quote this post
markivj
post Apr 24 2021, 02:01 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Bring back Julie Martin (Robinson) from the dead though....coupled with the outrageous storylines and the awful acting... that one was GOLD!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 24 2021, 02:33 AM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Sarah was her name that had the affair with Karl, I slowly fell out of love with neighbours when charlene and scott left and eventually led to me not watching but I got back into it about 5 years ago as they are good at bringing back old faces but lately some storylines are gone a but whacky again. From the olden days I loved scott and charlene, madge and harold and of course mrs mangel and I lived des mother too, melanie who is now back was good back in the say as was Hilary. Julie Martin was awful though.

This post has been edited by Feel_The_Fever: Apr 24 2021, 02:34 AM

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 25 2021, 02:18 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Charlene was a real centre point if the show, her departure left a big hole in the show for a long time.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Apr 25 2021, 07:29 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Emma was far from wallpaper she was in the show for a very short time and made a huge impact!!

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 25 2021, 12:25 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I never avidly followed Home and Away and vaguely remember Dannii's time on the show.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:27 AM