BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS: Doctor Who Companions • Least Favourite, and I suppose... if it's my last chance to say it...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 10th August 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Donna Noble was first introduced in 'The Runaway Bride', a Christmas special that was the first episode to air after Rose's departure. Here, she was a loudmouth typical Catherine Tate Show character and therefore, when it was announced she would return for Series 4, many, including me, were disappointed. However, through excellent writing and an amazing performance by Catherine Tate, Donna truly shone brighter than many companions. The Doctor and Donna became like brother and sister, they may make snidy remarks and argue with each other but they will always stick by each other and care for each other. Donna went through one of the biggest companion developments of the series and this was truly seen in her departure, a truly emotional scene. Donna had to have her memory of her time with the Doctor wiped and we saw how much that time meant to her and how it changed her as a person.

Therefore, after a truly nail-biting finish that suffered from numerous ties and a necessary extension, Rose Tyler becomes your favourite companion. Rose was the first companion of the new series and stayed on for two series before reappearing again for the Series 4 finale, and indeed in cameos throughout that series as well as making a special appearance in the 50th anniversary episode. Looking at the series as a whole, Rose was the first companion to have her family featured prominently in the series as we saw her mum, her boyfriend and her dad (after trying to save him before finding an alternative version of him). This all helped bring Rose to the forefront of the show and, indeed, Series 1 was designed for the audience to see the Doctor Who world through Rose's eyes. Her story also saw her become encapsulated in a romance with the Doctor. Ultimately, she caused the 9th Doctor's regeneration and it was with the 10th Doctor that the romance was pushed further, and of course she now has her own human version of that incarnation. Rose and the Doctor were utterly faithful to each other and the only way that they would leave each other's side would be if they were permanently split apart. This is what happened in the Series 2 finale, which has since become one of the most iconic television scenes ever. Rose will always be the most remembered companion of nu-Who and for good reason too.

FINAL RESULTS

01. Rose Tyler
02. Donna Noble (19 votes | 51.35%)
03. River Song (15 votes | 60.00%)
04. Amy Pond (16 votes | 47.06%)
05. Clara Oswald (12 votes | 38.71%)
06. Captain Jack Harkness (14 votes | 50.00%)
07. Martha Jones (10 votes | 50.00%)
08. Rory Williams (12 votes | 44.44%)
09. Mickey Smith (12 votes | 44.44%)

Thanks for everyone who voted and commented. It's of course one of my favourite shows so it's always interesting to see people's opinions on it! Stay tuned for the next set of Least Favourite Polls in the UK TV and Soaps forum.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th August 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

A well-deserved winner there without a doubt, even if I'd have preferred Donna (or Martha but we know what happened there smile.gif). Thanks for hosting this guys, it's been excellent and a lot of fun heart.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th August 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

The best one won in the end! Donna really was a great companion, and her best moments were saved for last in 'The Stolen Earth' and 'Journey's End' (still get goosebumps at her last scene in the TARDIS), but Rose was just that bit better. She's the companion that I never really appreciate that much, besides her departure in 'Doomsday', until I watch episodes back and remember why she was so good.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 10th August 2015, 07:48 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Not a surprising top 2, really, but then those stories are top notch for both. Before Donna, I was not a Catherine Tate fan, and before Rose I wasn't a Billie fan, in both cases when they were announced as companions I groaned. Well, when you're wrong you're really wrong! Classic stuff. Thanks for all the hard work!

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 10th August 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

I knew Rose was gonna win right from the start cool2.gif
She was an amazing companion too. So much emotion and thrillseeking. Also the amount of comebacks she's had heart.gif

+Quote this post
James1987
post 10th August 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 19,531

I would have been happy what ever the result, without doubt the best companions of the new Doctor Who era

I admit when I first heard Catherine Tate was coming back for series 4 I had a few doubts but I loved her and Donna was a great character and her story was excellent.

Rose had some great moments but her exit in series 2 still brings a tear to my eye!

Really enjoyed this game!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 10th August 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

AMAZING winner but pretty subpar results. Rory and Clara are horribly underrated and Donna the opposite.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th August 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(Cody Slayberry @ Aug 10 2015, 10:27 PM) *
Rory and Clara are horribly underrated

Yes!

+Quote this post
Slick
post 10th August 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #9
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

Captain Jack too high but ultimately a very good list.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 10th August 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Rose (while she does obviously have some nostalgia attached as it was when I first started watching Doctor Who) was never equalled for me. She had just the right mix of likeability and appeal but also with determination and character that didn't make her look like a generic damsel in distress. I really liked how she gradually grew darker over the series. I couldn't say Donna fell foul of anything that I listed, but I just found her personality so annoying! drama.gif she was in the last truly great series though.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 10th August 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Pretty inevitable that Rose would win. I've never understood why as I think she's vain, self obsessed, stupid and obnoxious but there you go. She benefited from being the 'first' but nearly put me off watching it.

Brilliantly hosted of course and thank you for doing this.

I ask not really expecting a yes but any chance of doing a rate of ALL the companions - old and new?

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 10th August 2015, 11:03 PM
Post #12
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

QUOTE(Severin @ Aug 10 2015, 11:35 PM) *
I ask not really expecting a yes but any chance of doing a rate of ALL the companions - old and new?

A rate was something I considered doing but the Least Favourite format was chosen just because of lack of time. It can definitely be put in the pipeline though, for old and new, if I find time to host one or someone else wishes to do it!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th August 2015, 11:06 PM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad

That'd be a brilliant idea! biggrin.gif

I imagine of the older companions Sarah Jane's likely to be the only one who would stand a chance of coming close to the NuWho companions, but still, a lot of the older companions are brilliant! wub.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 10:06 AM