BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Katy to take a break from music
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
troublepink
post Oct 10 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590
Katy Perry taking a break from making music: ‘I’m just going to chill’

Following the conclusion of Witness: The Tour, Katy Perry has revealed that she’s ready to step away from making music after 10 years on the road.

In a recent interview with Footwear News, Perry said she had no plans to return to the studio for another album and admitted, “I feel like I’ve done a lot. I feel like I’ve rung the bell of being a pop star very loudly, and I’m very grateful for that.”

“I’ve been on the road for like 10 years, so I’m just going to chill,” she added.

The 33-year old singer revealed why she thought it was time to step back from her pop-star life for a while.

“I didn’t really pay attention to anything besides my craft — which is great, and I love it. I love making music, I love writing. But I don’t feel like I’m a part of a game anymore; I just feel like I’m an artist.” She added, “I don’t feel like I have to prove anything [anymore], which is a freeing feeling.”

Successful or not, being a musician was something that she always wanted to pursue, something she wanted since she was nine years old. For Perry, music was always first and foremost.

She gained huge success in 2008 with her sophomore album One of the Boys. It was actually the first under the moniker Katy Perry (her birth name is Katheryn Hudson). She released Hot n’ Cold and I Kissed a Girl, singles that immediately made her a household name worldwide.

In regard to her new look, sound and attitude, the Last Friday Night singer has begun to incorporate fearlessness into her life:

“I’ve done a lot of work lately in the past year on my mental health, on my spiritual and emotional side. Now I’ve been trying to find the balance and not overindulging, just trying to stay grounded.”
Perry released her fifth album, Witness, in 2017. Although it featured a handful of breakthrough singles, Swish Swish, Chained to the Rhythm and Hey, Hey, Hey, the album received many harsh and critical reviews.

Some claimed it was mostly filler, while others said it was generic and radio-friendly, insinuating it strayed away from her previously unique sound.

As of this writing, Perry and her publicists have made no public comment on whether she’ll be retiring permanently or if this is just a hiatus.

Link
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Oct 10 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Omg I called GaGa quitting pop music. I thought Katy would give it one lasts hot. She must know she's done a Furtado. Oops. She's officially over. I had her down as a possible future Madonna :/ Only Beyoncè and bloody Rihanna, and the wheels came VERRY CLOSE to falling off pre Anti, are left as Madonna contenders out of this gen ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Oct 11 2018, 11:57 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Much as she can't really afford to do this, I did notice how the fast-paced successful popstar life had taken a serious toll on her mental health last year so maybe she'll be happier doing it low-key and on her own terms.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Oct 11 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
In terms of success Pink has been the most consistent female. Wouldn’t rate her as the next Madonna though as she hasn’t reinvented or changed since 2006.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Oct 11 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
As for Katy a break could be good. Every artist has an underperforming era and Witness was obviously hers but it’s possible Katy could in the future turn things around but her teenage dream sound would be strange for a near 34 year old to have. I think a more laid back style album possibly guitar based could work for her sort of like the second half of Madonnas American Life record.

She’s not Nelly Furtado just yet!

+Quote this post
Scene
post Oct 11 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #6
Group icon
This is where you end and I begin
User: 5,567
Aww this is a shame. I miss the days of 2010-11 when she was on the top of her game. sad.gif She should take a few years out in order to let the media backlash die down, continue to work on music behind the scenes, and then make a comeback in 2021 with an album we can root for and her black locks back in place. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 11 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #7
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
The best thing she can do between now and her comeback is have a kid. Or have a tragedy happen to her or someone she knows. She needs an excuse to change or to have all eyes on her. Thing is, come 2021, she's 36. Of her peers, Pink at 36 was just about to launch album #7 and was broadly seen as mom pop with a bit of appeal to some younger folk. Beyonce at 36 has achieved icon status and a wide and large fanbase who will buy whatever she puts out. Britney, similar. Katy, does she have either of those markets, following this album?

I feel like Witness also didn't work because people are used to a woman popstar cutting her hair off for some reason or to make a statement, not just because.

Tbh re the purposeful pop thing, I feel like that's just a line that's trotted out for the album/era. CTTR was a bit of a song with a message...but not a particularly revolutionary one, no more groundbreaking than something like Price Tag really. Bon Appetit was about sex and/or media consumption, again covered vastly deeper and more superior at other times in the past by Madonna, Gaga, Lana, hell, even Britney. Neither of them were saying anything new or shocking and yet the media furore around them seems to act as if they were these shocking songs that were such a BIG turn for Katy.

And then Swish Swish was a diss track. And the album sounded nothing like any of the singles. Just messy all round, but I don't feel like the 'woke pop' thing really has much to do with it compared to all the other messy elements.

This post has been edited by MoanïngMÿrtle: Oct 11 2018, 05:14 PM

+Quote this post
Slick
post Oct 11 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #8
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
I think she's over-egging this a little. Most popstars go on a break at some point? She'll have a new album out within a few years.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Oct 11 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #9
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316
QUOTE(MoanïngMÿrtle @ Oct 11 2018, 06:11 PM) *
The best thing she can do between now and her comeback is have a kid. Or have a tragedy happen to her or someone she knows. She needs an excuse to change or to have all eyes on her.

Wtf? unsure.gif

Pretty sure she doesn't need to 'have a tragedy happen to her' in order to have all eyes on her again. I'm pretty sure the only reason this campaign has taken such a toll on her mental health is that she must have had full confidence that she'd put a solid album out there that was different to what she'd done before, but it wasn't well received like her previous ones at all. All she needs to make sure of is that her next album is on the same level as Teenage Dream or Prism and not just a lot of forgettable tracks shoved together.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Oct 11 2018, 05:37 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
I think she has quit because she knows her ship has sailed

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 11 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #11
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
She’s going back to making cherry pies sad.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 11 2018, 06:01 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
I honestly hope the break does her some good as seeing her mental state during that big brother type promo she did was tough to watch and obviously the fact the album wasn't as received as the other ones must have not helped her mental state sad.gif

+Quote this post
Scene
post Oct 11 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #13
Group icon
This is where you end and I begin
User: 5,567
I think Dr Luke's lack of involvement in the music post-Prism is a contributing factor to her decline. He essentially co-produced/wrote every big Katy single except Firework. They were like Girls Aloud/Xenomania.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 11 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #14
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
I mean obviously an actual tragedy wouldn't be ideal but I meant more the sense of someting her PR team can play up into one. Engagement and breakup or something like that, with a decently high profile fake relationship a la Liam Payne and Cheryl.

I'm a cynic but I obviously wouldn't expect her actually to manufacture something seriously horrible just to boost a flagging career.But having something tangible external to just music that she was in the news for and had public sympathy or affection for would be a big boost to her profile and good feeling towards her. See countless examples in pop.

This post has been edited by MoanïngMÿrtle: Oct 11 2018, 06:49 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Oct 11 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Count Olaf @ Oct 11 2018, 06:48 PM) *
She’s going back to making cherry pies sad.gif

This sad.gif

She is gonna spend her time bakin pies just like Furtado again

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Oct 12 2018, 07:41 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590
I honestly don't think she'll be away forever, I just think that instead of going straight back into the studio she'll wait a year or two before starting work on a new album and concentrate on other things such as KP Collections.

Maybe they'll release a greatest hits while we're waiting to keep us interested laugh.gif There could still be new tracks on a greatest hits, but just use leftovers from previous albums rather than a new record.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:14 PM