BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Girls Aloud • Sound of the Underground, 1st album | 26.05.2003 | 2023: Deluxe 3CD + Vinyl Formats
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
inyourroom
post 15th June 2023, 01:36 PM
Post #181
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,272

A quick observation before release day:
Although the song Grease is listed as Beatmasters Remix / From "Greasemania", Qobuz lists the track length as 3:27, which is the single version, not the remix. We'll know tomorrow.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th June 2023, 02:00 PM
Post #182
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Oh that's weird that they've mixed up the versions! iTunes in New Zealand also has the 3:27 version. thinking.gif

I was actually looking forward to it being the Beatmasters Remix because I only have a 128kbps version of it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th June 2023, 02:21 PM
Post #183
Group icon

On Disc 2, the 3:29 version of Life Got Cold, they've credited it as "Radio Edit". This is technically incorrect... the 3:29 version was called "Album Version" on the CD singles (also a weird tag, admittedly) but then in the digital era it was given a credit that made more sense: "Album Version (Edited)" - https://open.spotify.com/album/0JhSJVwJgCsM...sTn29ROynLQRX9w

The Radio Edit from the Life Got Cold CD single is actually the 3:58 version, which went on to be included on the re-release of Sound of the Underground, and is also known as Radio Version!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th June 2023, 08:11 PM
Post #184
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Nothing confuses me more than the Life Got Cold versions x

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 16th June 2023, 12:37 AM
Post #185
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Well release day is upon us, really hope this does well for them, id like to see the girls promote it to even if they all do it solo, lets stream where we can as an additional support, not really sure what to expect for this release in Ireland or if it will do anything at all here.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th June 2023, 04:23 AM
Post #186
Group icon

My order from the official store is still "unfulfilled" on release day nocheer.gif

'Grease' is definitely just the original B Side version, not Beatmasters Remix... the mistag is a bit annoying.

The explicit 'No Good Advice' hasn't been given its own tag, it just shows the Explicit symbol.

'Girls Allowed - Almighty Radio Edit' hasn't been properly tagged, it's just there as "Girls Allowed".

'Jump' has been given the tag 'Jump - From "Love Actually"'. Will be interesting to see if that helps out its streams over time, particularly nearer Christmas. Similarly 'You Freak Me Out' has been given the tag 'You Freak Me Out - From "Freaky Friday"'.

'Girls on Film' is 'Girls on Film - UK Bonus Track' which is an ugly tag x

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 16th June 2023, 06:26 AM
Post #187
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

Thank god for Last.fm premium features!

Also, same re: official store. Homophobia in action.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th June 2023, 12:18 PM
Post #188
Group icon

Still no sign of dispatch from their official store dry.gif

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 16th June 2023, 01:18 PM
Post #189
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

Mine has now been dispatched.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 16th June 2023, 09:02 PM
Post #190
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

I got this delivered from Amazon today, been enjoying listening to it again, it was their weakest album for me but still good and brings back a lot of memories.

I had a frightening realisation that I bought the album as I started my first job, which reminded me it was 20 years ago this month that I started that, argh drama.gif

For some reason it was Forever And A Night that particularly brought the memories flooding back, I think I recall listening to it in the work canteen back in the day.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 17th June 2023, 07:58 AM
Post #191
Group icon

I’m so gutted that my order wasn’t dispatched. sad.gif I really wanted to enjoy it over the weekend. Also I’m confused that it hasn’t been dispatched considering that the store has certainly dispatched many other peoples. So I’ve got to wait until Monday at the earliest now, feel like there’s no point in contacting the store until I see if it does dispatch on Monday.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 17th June 2023, 10:44 AM
Post #192
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

My bundle was dispatched late afternoon yesterday. But I've now got to wait until Monday cause no one answered the door for it to be delivered today. I am a bit pissed off, yes 😤

Progress, much (not). I'm the same as you Jay, I wanted to enjoy mine this weekend especially cause I've got a busy full on day on Monday.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 17th June 2023, 11:15 AM
Post #193
Group icon
Hello?

Sacred Trust to me is very marginally better as a Girls Aloud song but naff is still the word I'd use to describe it. Not awful, but super cheesy and the production on it, for late 2002, sounds so dated - imagine if they'd launched their career with this.

Also it seems to position Nadine as a lead singer, which wouldn't have been a good idea for their dynamic, even in many ways she sort of was a psuedo-lead singer by having a lot of the major lines and ad libs on many of their songs.

On the flipside, it also makes me wonder how far One True Voice could have gone with better music than they were handed (and a better name - even OTV would abbreviated would have been better).

+Quote this post
tommie
post 17th June 2023, 11:42 AM
Post #194
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Wow not me being right about there being a re-release when everyone doubted it would happen, file this under "no one listens to tommie when they should listen to tommie" x

QUOTE(tommie @ Mar 31 2023, 03:20 PM) *
^ She just says that there's no newly recorded music about to come out and doesn't exactly deny there's no re-release in the pipeline.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 17th June 2023, 11:46 AM
Post #195
Group icon
Hello?

A couple of other thoughts:

- I know it's also a bit of a basic cover, but I'm glad to see Stay Another Day finally on streaming as I can finally fill a gap in my 2002 playlist!

- Some Kind Of Miracle is such a strong track, I know it was ditched as a single because Jump came along but it could have made a great summer double a-side with Life Got Cold!

Or even: March 2003, No Good Advice; June 2003 Life Got Cold; late August/early September Some Kind of Miracle; November Jump.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 17th June 2023, 12:11 PM
Post #196
Group icon

^ This makes me wonder if No Good Advice might have done a little better than it did, if they'd been ready to strike with it in March rather than in May? At the time I do remember feeling increasingly impatient to find out what their next move was going to be. They went pretty quiet in Jan/Feb/Mar 2003. A lot of artists wouldn't leave it longer than 3 months between singles, so maybe 5 was a bit too long? (I wonder things that can't be answered x).

Yeah, One True Voice were truly doomed at the start by having Sacred Trust. Even taking it as a stand along song without comparing it to Girls Aloud, it felt dated and unexciting - so in direct comparison to Sound of the Underground, its datedness was even more amplified! Their image, the band name... it was just all wrong. Clearly they were talented guys, but it didn't click - the vision just wasn't there.

I wonder how far in advance of the Popstars final (30th November 2002) that Polydor discovered Sound of the Underground and decided it was the perfect song to use? It will always amaze me that they had the foresight to find an exciting uptempo track for the girls. They really could have been lazier and found something they "safe" (bland). Thank goodness it happened the way it did, and that it the relationship with Xenomania was in place from the very beginning. I also don't understand why The X Factor never looked at the Sound of the Underground as a blueprint for winners singles. 9 years later and Little Mix were lumbered with Cannonball.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 17th June 2023, 04:37 PM
Post #197
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Even Girls Aloud can't save that dreadful Sacred Trust song! One True Voice really had no chance, their follow up was equally as terrible!

I am also with you on that terrible Cannonball choice for Little Mix wtf? At least they redeemed that with Wings which was the perfect song to come back with!

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 17th June 2023, 06:15 PM
Post #198
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

I must have missed something. Why did they record Sacred Trust if it was a OTV single? confused.gif

This post has been edited by Voodoo: 17th June 2023, 06:15 PM

+Quote this post
tommie
post 17th June 2023, 06:38 PM
Post #199
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Jun 17 2023, 06:15 PM) *
I must have missed something. Why did they record Sacred Trust if it was a OTV single? confused.gif

I assume there might've either been a thought that they'd release the same song as the chart battle or they thought that they could use it as album filler? Obviously neither happened.

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 18th June 2023, 10:17 AM
Post #200
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Jun 17 2023, 05:37 PM) *
Even Girls Aloud can't save that dreadful Sacred Trust song! One True Voice really had no chance, their follow up was equally as terrible!

I am also with you on that terrible Cannonball choice for Little Mix wtf? At least they redeemed that with Wings which was the perfect song to come back with!

It's strange how worlds apart the songs they selected were. One very modern and edgy and the other bland and forgettable and very dated and if I was in one true voice I'd have felt totally robbed given such a dull song going into such a potential career changing chart battle. The girls were so lucky to have given sound of the underground

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 14th May 2024, 09:01 AM