BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: Week #37, what about trust? // + links + writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 11th September 2017, 10:49 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Pink holds steady at the top in this 37th week of the year, becoming the eleventh act this year to chart more than a week consecutively at #1. Just below her, Nerina Pallot also holds steady, while The XX gain a fourth top 5, and London Grammar gain a new highest-peaking track this year as Oh Woman Oh Man moves to exceed the #6 peak of Wild Eyed. OWOM is also London Grammar's third top ten so far this year.

Country crossover continues its appeal to me this year as Little Big Town score a second top ten with Lady Antebellum not far behind. Staying with guitar-led, Nelly Furtado gains another entry from her folk-punk album The Ride, while Niall Horan's Slow Hands finally squeaks in this week too. Other new entries this week come from Stefflon Don making her solo debut, Taya, HAIM, Veela, Rebecca & Fiona, XYLO, NEEDTOBREATHE, a ten-years-on return from Black Kids, Taylor Swift and The Weeknd. DJ Khaled's Wild Thoughts also scores a record-extending twelfth consecutive week in the top 40.

All new entries will be getting their own wee write-up and some video links to save you scrabbling to find them online yourselves. (And to make this thread more fun!) Those will be up a bit later in the week, I'll update the thread title accordingly when they're done. For now, here's the top 40 in full for this second week of September 2017!

01 Pink - What About Us [24-5-1-1]
02 Nerina Pallot - Man Didn't Walk on the Moon [25-2-2]
03 The XX - I Dare You [9-3]
04 London Grammar - Oh Woman Oh Man [12-6-4]
05 Chase & Status ft. Emeli Sande - Love Me More [14-5]
06 Lana Del Rey ft. Stevie Nicks - Beautiful People Beautiful Problems [28-5-1-5-6]
07 Preatures - Nite Machine [26-17-7]
08 Emily Zeck - Two Cents (Ice Cream Song) [39-X2-18-8]
09 RAC ft. MNDR - Unusual [16-9]
10 Little Big Town - Lost in California [31-X4-22-10]
11 Lady Antebellum - Army [N]
12 Dua Lipa - New Rules [14-23-12]
13 Stefflon Don ft. French Montana - Hurtin' Me [N]
14 Kid Froopy - Dreams [34-14]
15 Fyfe ft. Kimbra - Belong [15-15]
16 Busted - Out of Our Minds [N]
17 Frankie Rose - Dyson Sphere [27-27-17]
18 Robbie Williams - Eyes on the Highway [28-28-18]
19 Taya ft. Yxng Bane - When Ur Sober [N]
20 Kings of Leon - Eyes on You [39-25-20]
21 Yumi Zouma - Depths (Pt. I) [37-21]
22 Jack Eye Jones - Time [32-22]
23 Naika - Ride [33-11-4-3-23]
24 HAIM - Nothing's Wrong [N]
25 Rebecca & Fiona - Money [N]
26 Veela - Hang Up [N]
27 Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do [N]
28 Alayna ft. Astronomyy - Falling Autumn [35-28]
29 Nelly Furtado - Magic [N]
30 Norda ft. Mike De Ville + Joanna Jones - Gypsy (Catch Me If You Can) [36-30]
31 Kesha - Rainbow [37-40-31]
32 Niall Horan - Slow Hands [N]
33 Black Kids - IFFY [N]
34 Gabrielle Aplin - Waking Up Slow [38-34]
35 The Weeknd - Love to Lay [N]
36 Tommy - Found Again [39-36]
37 XYLO - What We're Looking For [N]
38 DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna + Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts [14-5-2-1-7-26-15-32-9-24-20-38]
39 Tritonal ft. Laurell - Good Thing [40-X1-39]
40 NEEDTOBREATHE ft. Andra Day - Hard Love [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (2)
Chainsmokers ft. Jhenι Aiko – Wake Up Alone (3)
Lady Gaga – The Cure (1)
Wale ft. Major Lazer, Dua Lipa + WizKid – My Love (1)
Syn Cole ft. Nevve – Sway (2)
Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan – There For You (1)
Little Mix ft. Stormzy – Power (2)
Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan – There For You (1)
Jax Jones ft. Demi Lovato + Stefflon Don – Instruction (1)
DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna + Bryson Tiller – Wild Thoughts (1)
The XX – Seasons Run (1)
Inna ft. Erick – Ruleta (1)
Lana Del Rey – Cherry (2)
DJ Cassidy ft. Grace + Lil Yachty – Honor (1)
Lana Del Rey ft. Stevie Nicks – Beautiful People Beautiful Problems (1)
Pink – What About Us (~)

Where can you see what I’m listening to? My spotify A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by StillJupiter: 15th September 2017, 10:42 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 15th September 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #2
Group icon

Finally getting time to finish this today after a few days rushed off my feet and nearly a calamity this am as I only left myself 25 mins to get to work. The joy of taxis! A few more new entries this week than last, so I'll be splitting this section in half this week.

First up, a pop double from ex-1D Niall and ex-1D-er's ex Taylor. Niall has been charting consistently in and out of the top 100 since release and came close to entering before on a few occasions, but faced stiff competition in the big release periods over the summer and so only makes it in now for the first time. Slow Hands is, imo, a big step up from debut single This Town. Taylor's much newer, LWYMMD released only a few weeks ago and is the UK's reigning #1. Due to how my charts are tracked, it took a little longer to build up enough steam to debut, but does so decently strongly within the top 30. It's Taylor's first charter since I started doing these in 2016 and the era looks to be her second album run I'll be enjoying, after 1989.

Older acts' comeback section now with some new tracks from Black Kids (!) and a reformed Busted, as book closes on the mistake that was McBusted. I was never convinced by McFly. Out of Our Minds sound-shifts from punk to funk, and is Busted's second top 20 this year following lead from their comeback album Night Driver, On What You're On, which peaked at 12. Black Kids return after a similarly long break; their debut album was ~2008 and they've not released anything since...until now. Iffy's their most recent track and the first to catch me of the two or three they've actually dropped so far this year.

And sticking with the pop/rock theme, a section of the newer artists to close this group. NEEDTOBREATHE's debut gives Andra Day a second charter this year; Hard Love's another that's been floating around the lower reaches for a few months, as anyone who follows my B playlist on spotify will have been seeing. As mentioned above, Army gives Lady Antebellum their second charter this year too, hitting the sweet spot between country and pop without too many bibles-n-bros elements, while HAIM score a fourth from sophomore effort Something To Tell You with Nothing's Wrong. The band's last three tracks went top ten, so this one's got a way to go if it hopes to match. Some of you may have heard me playing it in plug this week, here's hoping it gets official single treatment. So far I've been pretty on the money this year for picking bands' singles in advance - notably the XX's Dangerous, a top 5 for me back in the spring.

Part II with the rest of the links, to come! Comments and thoughts welcome in the meantime wink.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 16th September 2017, 04:57 AM
Post #3
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Hi Jupiter!! hi.gif Here are the songs I checked out:

Loved 'Is This How You Feel' and 'Somebody's Talking' but I never really checked out other songs of theirs! Sounds like they're going in more of an 80s direction. Pretty good, but I'll probably stick with my aforementioned faves.

One of my fave bands but I still haven't listened to their latest album! I think I'm gonna buy it now after listening to this song. It's not as powerful as 'Better Man' though wub.gif

I wasn't crazy about their lead single, the retro/funk thing doesn't suit them IMO. This is much more like it!

Actually heard this on the chart show earlier and was really impressed. I'm a sucker for steel drums. Good contribution from French Montana too, it does kinda pick up where 'Unforgettable' left off which is no bad thing. Was expecting another chorus at the end though, it kind of ends too soon.

33 Black Kids - IFFY [N]
Like you, I've been (im)patiently waiting for new Black Kids music since 2008! After hearing this it's like no time has passed at all wub.gif

This band is another fave of mine ohmy.gif It's a good collab, although I prefer their one with Gavin DeGraw.

Very nice chart, cheers for the video links!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 19th September 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #4
Group icon

Super late now (these last two weeks have been crazy...why you don't work at a university, folks!) but as I have some downtime I figured would finish these links for last week before posting this week's chart up. (Just in case anyone's really wanting to look any of the new ones up tongue.gif)

Starting from the bottom (now we here) new entries come from XYLO and The Weeknd. Both acts have charted before, The Weeknd more notably; not to be too hipster but I've been a big fan since his post-50 Shades commercial surge into being an A-lister. Most of my top Weeknd tracks come from before that time, and I've been pacing myself going through the new album. I like the newest singles Sidewalks and Rockin', but neither has quite caught me yet as something I've ended up hammering in the plays; this one however I really like. The XYLO's not bad either, they last appeared alongside the Chainsmokers last year or early this year.

Two slightly random ones for the middle. An unexpected flip to These Heauux-esque sing-rap for Veela, who's appeared before as an ethereal, angel-voiced feature singer on a number of chillwave and EDM genre tracks, most recently Parallel Worlds alongside AK. It works though, and it fills a Kesha void since she herself has switched genres to pure pop and rock ballads. Nelly Furtado's the other surprise entrant, landing a third top 40 hit from seventh studio album The Ride. It's partly surprising because none of the tracks really stood out from the album on first listen, and I definitely didn't expect three charters - and also partly surprising because, in doing this a little late, I know just how much this ends up rising the next week ohmy.gif. It might actually be my favourite track from the album, a folky-inspired pop throwback that would have fitted nicely on her first or second album and maybe even been a chart hit if she wasn't now a non-A-list woman pushing 40. Well. And if any genres but pure pop and its derivations still actually could chart in 2017. I'm not salty...

Finally for this section two more urban ones, as the new entry from Rebecca and Fiona is not available anywhere online except spotify right now. They're swedish, so it could be region-locked. Stefflon Don takes her first solo new entry as this week's second highest debut, still not quite reaching the chart-topping Instruction, but a good start. Hurtin' Me swaps dancehall-inspired EDM for more of the pure thing, with elements of Rihanna's Work from last year in there too, as well as a high-profile guest verse from French Montana. Taya doubles up too, giving Yxng Bane a surprising second entry and top 20 with her own debut song; I had anticipated Bestie being a fluke hit for both artists involved as I don't normally listen to that genre of music so much. Happy to've come across some new artists though - and through the radio of all mediums in this day and age!
If you've read this far, cheers! Til next week wink.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 19th September 2017, 09:25 AM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(Riser @ Sep 16 2017, 05:57 AM) *
Hi Jupiter!! hi.gif Here are the songs I checked out:

Loved 'Is This How You Feel' and 'Somebody's Talking' but I never really checked out other songs of theirs! Sounds like they're going in more of an 80s direction. Pretty good, but I'll probably stick with my aforementioned faves.

One of my fave bands but I still haven't listened to their latest album! I think I'm gonna buy it now after listening to this song. It's not as powerful as 'Better Man' though wub.gif

I wasn't crazy about their lead single, the retro/funk thing doesn't suit them IMO. This is much more like it!

Actually heard this on the chart show earlier and was really impressed. I'm a sucker for steel drums. Good contribution from French Montana too, it does kinda pick up where 'Unforgettable' left off which is no bad thing. Was expecting another chorus at the end though, it kind of ends too soon.

33 Black Kids - IFFY [N]
Like you, I've been (im)patiently waiting for new Black Kids music since 2008! After hearing this it's like no time has passed at all wub.gif

This band is another fave of mine ohmy.gif It's a good collab, although I prefer their one with Gavin DeGraw.

Very nice chart, cheers for the video links!

Thanks for commenting! Glad you liked some new discoveries biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:44 AM