BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Shame' - Robbie and Gary duet, Vid inside
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
inactiveaccount
post Aug 26 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
I love the song... It's the best thing I think Robbie's done since "Trippin'"... I'm laugh.gif ing at the Toys R Us line.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Kath
post Aug 26 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
I'm getting little traces of 'Cheers' now, and hints of one of Take That's songs from this era 'Trouble With Me'?

Judas Priest! I'm sounding like Jillie Bloody Goulden from the Wine Show!

Kath

+Quote this post
De Niro
post Aug 26 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #23
Group icon
"God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of
User: 254
What I find hilarious is how many fans of both are saying how amazing the song is laugh.gif It's only the best Robbie single since Morning Sun and tbh most of TT's newer singles have been better with the exception of perhaps I'd Wait For Life (although tbh I completelly forget what that one sounds like). There is nothing amazing or remarkable about this song - is's a nice enough pop song but not this groudbreaking masterpiece some fans are making it out to be imo. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Kath
post Aug 26 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I do think with the input of Mark, Jason and Howard (especially Mark) that the up-coming Take That (5) stuff will be much, much better than this. I bloody well hope so anyway.

Kath

+Quote this post
Vülker
post Aug 26 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #25
Group icon
üüü barracüda
User: 10,222
How homoerotic of them... mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Kath
post Aug 26 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
My husband has just said that if I buy anything to do with Take That Gary Barlow again - he'll join the Conservative Party so I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this one (I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway). I'll just have to sneakily watch the vid whenever its on.

Kath

This post has been edited by Kathyp: Aug 26 2010, 05:39 PM

+Quote this post
stevyy
post Aug 26 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 2,379
i love the vid... really! when both take off their shirts... so great

the song gets a 7/10 from me. It has no real melody which is sad.

+Quote this post
7heDreamer
post Aug 26 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,939
I think I've made up my mind now. The lyrics are very good (I rarely complain of Rob's lyrics anyway). The melody is warm but... not quite a melody. The start looks like a rip-off to me but the rest has a poor melody nothing like the orchestra strings of RKTVS. If Gary wrote the music and Rob the lyrics (which was what we all expected to happen) I have to say Gary has written much better stuff. The video is a bit(lot) boring for my taste but all TT and a lot of Rob's videos have been boring anyway. I don't know if it will grow on me but as a song I feel it is worse than RTW , Patience , Bodies or Morning Sun.
And it is annoying how the last two were badly received and this will be commented as a masterpiece. Anyway it is not a bad song, much better than most songs out there (the competition) so it deserves to do well. I believe that it is NOT suitable for a promo single though; it is warm with nice lyrics but it is not instant and not sparkling at all. (well I thought Bodies was but the general public didn't agree!) It will definitely not help the GH anywhere outside the UK. Of course it is the GH of Europe's biggest popstar of the decade and it will be certified all around but it could have done much better with something catchier. I don't know why this song could crack the US because I never understood why his great ones didn't. If TT want to test the transatlantic waters they should but they will be really cold! Mediteranean waters are pretty cold for them too perhaps they should go for Europe first.
I am wondering, will 'The Flood' will be upbeat-pop or is the 'new' TT album actually a fake-classic Beatles wanabe?
If I had to rate (I may change my mind later) I'd say 7/10

This post has been edited by 7heDreamer: Aug 26 2010, 07:04 PM

+Quote this post
Kath
post Aug 26 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(7heDreamer @ Aug 26 2010, 07:58 PM) *
I think I've made up my mind now. The lyrics are very good (I rarely complain of Rob's lyrics anyway). The melody is warm but... not quite a melody. The start looks like a rip-off to me but the rest has a poor melody nothing like the orchestra strings of RKTVS. If Gary wrote the music and Rob the lyrics (which was what we all expected to happen) I have to say Gary has written much better stuff. The video is a bit(lot) boring for my taste but all TT and a lot of Rob's videos have been boring anyway. I don't know if it will grow on me but as a song I feel it is worse than RTW , Patience , Bodies or Morning Sun.
And it is annoying how the last two were badly received and this will be commented as a masterpiece. Anyway it is not a bad song, much better than most songs out there (the competition) so it deserves to do well. I believe that it is NOT suitable for a promo single though; it is warm with nice lyrics but it is not instant and not sparkling at all. (well I thought Bodies was but the general public didn't agree!) It will definitely not help the GH anywhere outside the UK. Of course it is the GH of Europe's biggest popstar of the decade and it will be certified all around but it could have done much better with something catchier. I don't know why this song could crack the US because I never understood why his great ones didn't. If TT want to test the transatlantic waters they should but they will be really cold! Mediteranean waters are pretty cold for them too perhaps they should go for Europe first.
I am wondering, will 'The Flood' will be upbeat-pop or is the 'new' TT album actually a fake-classic Beatles wanabe?
If I had to rate (I may change my mind later) I'd say 7/10

So any good things about it are down to Rob and any bad things are down to Gary. Figures! rolleyes.gif I happen to think the lyrics are average and the melody is average. A joint 'average' effort from BOTH! I gave the song 6/10 and not knowing what the competition is going to be ... on the strength of the song alone ... I'd say it deserved a top 20 place at best.

The video however, although a little cringey at times, I like. But I liked the video for She's Madonna and thought the song was sh/te.

Kath

+Quote this post
De Niro
post Aug 26 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Just watching him belt out LMEY from Knebworth on Magic on TV right now it really in such an amazing energetic, engaging and unique way it is very sad to see him now sing a song that would not sound out of place on a Daniel O'Donnell or Cliff Richard album. Very sad to see him become just another pop star singing just another bland old-fashioned sounding song that could be from the 1950's. I would look forward to 'Heart and I' but as it is also a Barlow co-write doing so would be pretty pointless for me. I will however look forward to the DVD's of the vids and Berlin DVD, and also the new book which is bound to be fascinating. It's odd usually with Robbie singles they grow on me and I find them odd at the start and am intrigued by them - Shame I found a nice pleasant listen at first but am already bored of hearing it which never happens with Robbie songs, well very rarely. There is just nothing about the song that grabs me - it's just a nice song and nothing more imo. zzz.gif

This post has been edited by De Niro: Aug 26 2010, 07:25 PM

+Quote this post
7heDreamer
post Aug 26 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Kathyp @ Aug 26 2010, 07:20 PM) *
So any good things about it are down to Rob and any bad things are down to Gary. Figures! rolleyes.gif I happen to think the lyrics are average and the melody is average. A joint 'average' effort from BOTH! I gave the song 6/10 and not knowing what the competition is going to be ... on the strength of the song alone ... I'd say it deserved a top 20 place at best.

The video however, although a little cringey at times, I like. But I liked the video for She's Madonna and thought the song was sh/te.

Kath

You got it wrong! It is an average effort from BOTH! Robbie can write 1000 times better lyrics than that and Gary can write real music! (in this effort I believe the lyrics are better than the music but it makes no difference really there can be great songs with poor melody it is not the melody that makes this song a 7- instead of a 10!). When I said RKTVS had rich orchestra chords we all know Robbie didn't write them! Rob has a creative and fresh music taste but he cannot write much music on his own anyway. Perhaps it is actualy a bit more of Rob's fault because the song is in his SOLO album so his is more responsible for the result. And if I have to blame sb for the boring video it will be Rob once again it is HIS promo single of his GH album. I am not implying Gary ruined Rob's work in any way (because he didn't). After all it was Rob's decision to have him on board.

This post has been edited by 7heDreamer: Aug 26 2010, 07:40 PM

+Quote this post
Kath
post Aug 26 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(7heDreamer @ Aug 26 2010, 08:36 PM) *
You got it wrong! It is an average effort from BOTH! Robbie can write 1000 times better lyrics than that and Gary can write real music! (in this effort I believe the lyrics are better than the music but it makes no difference really there can be great songs with poor melody it is not the melody that makes this song a 7- instead of a 10!). When I said RKTVS had rich orchestra chords we all know Robbie didn't write them! Rob has a creative and fresh music taste but he cannot write much music on his own anyway. Perhaps it is actualy a bit more of Rob's fault because the song is in his SOLO album so his is more responsible for the result. And if I have to blame sb for the boring video it will be Rob once again it is HIS promo single of his GH album. I am not implying Gary ruined Rob's work in any way (because he didn't). After all it was Rob's decision to have him on board.

But you said that the lyrics (Rob) were 'very good' - surely this is better than 'average'.

Anyway - like De Niro - I now find the whole song crap actually. It has gone from nice, inoffensive ... to just plain crap. I'd love it to miss the top 20 altogether.

Kath

Still like the vid though!

This post has been edited by Kathyp: Aug 26 2010, 07:39 PM

+Quote this post
7heDreamer
post Aug 26 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
But when you talk about charting success it never has to do with the very song but with the competition. A poor song could propel forth due to lack of competition. This song will rise because of the hype anyway. I still believe this song beats most competition -although it is not the crown jewel (LOL) of either writer- and therefore deserves to do well. However, I am tempted to curse this to flop if we consider Come Undone went nowhere near the top spot.

And I still find the video boring... but I expected that. RTW and Patience were great songs but the videos s*cked. Not to mention Supreme! (Or morning sun which is more recent!).. You seriously liked the video of She's Madonna? OMG you are definitely a huge fan of Robbie then! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by 7heDreamer: Aug 26 2010, 07:53 PM

+Quote this post
De Niro
post Aug 26 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #34
Group icon
I notice you are a regular on Rob's official site now Kathy laugh.gif (btw what happened to Norma? ohmy.gif ) - I havent posted properly on there is a long time. It's sadly full of people who think they know what they are talking about but truly have not got a clue about 'facts' and love triyng to convert people to liking Rob being back with TT. One thng can't tolerate s people desperatly trying to sound like they know it all without having sufficient knowledge of different situations. The official site, just like before it was closed down 5 or 6 years ago is full of alot of nutters and waffelers who don't know what they are talking about but feel the need to ensure people they do laugh.gif

Always makes for an entertaining read though - I generally lose count of the sheer volume of 'facts' that get thrown out the window to to suit a certain view laugh.gif

Btw the vid for Supreme is not a bad video at all - it's really good imo. Agree on the others though. Rob has a tendency to divide opinion with vids - they are generally too dull (Morning Sun) or very odd and quirky.

+Quote this post
Kath
post Aug 26 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(De Niro @ Aug 26 2010, 11:39 PM) *
I notice you are a regular on Rob's official site now Kathy laugh.gif (btw what happened to Norma? ohmy.gif ) - I havent posted properly on there is a long time. It's sadly full of people who think they know what they are talking about but truly have not got a clue about 'facts' and love triyng to convert people to liking Rob being back with TT. One thng can't tolerate s people desperatly trying to sound like they know it all without having sufficient knowledge of different situations. The official site, just like before it was closed down 5 or 6 years ago is full of alot of nutters and waffelers who don't know what they are talking about but feel the need to ensure people they do laugh.gif

Always makes for an entertaining read though - I generally lose count of the sheer volume of 'facts' that get thrown out the window to to suit a certain view laugh.gif

Btw the vid for Supreme is not a bad video at all - it's really good imo. Agree on the others though. Rob has a tendency to divide opinion with vids - they are generally too dull (Morning Sun) or very odd and quirky.

Norma is gone! I was in that 'team' thing in the lounge for a while (about 25 hours - and then I came to my senses.) I had a falling out (with everybody) they all hate me (but I'm not really arsed about it) so I decided to go back to being Kathyp (a renowned bitch at the beginning but she has mellowed a little).

I actually like the Rob official site ... it is a bit better than the Take That site both aesthetically and content wise. You still have one or two die-hard Rob nuts on there but so does the TT site (TT nuts I mean). On the whole though ... most posters seem to be (a little) more objective than the TT site and view the song as nice but not great - which is the correct and only assumption. I know what you mean though about people trying to convince everyone else that a reunion is a 'great' thing. Why can't people just be satisfied with two good, but entirely separate acts?

I still can't get over how much I like the video (but as I said ... I loved the She's Madonna video ... for me Rob's best since Rock DJ). The more I watch it ... the more I want to see the out-takes where Gary and Rob must surely be peeing themselves laughing. It reminds me of the sketch in the Fast Show - you know ... the one with Ted and his boss.

In general though ... the best place to discuss Rob / TT is here on BJ.

Have you looked at my 'funny' in the 'waffling out of consciousness' thread?

Kath

+Quote this post
De Niro
post Aug 27 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #36
Group icon
QUOTE(Kathyp @ Aug 27 2010, 12:18 AM) *
Norma is gone! I was in that 'team' thing in the lounge for a while (about 25 hours - and then I came to my senses.) I had a falling out (with everybody) they all hate me (but I'm not really arsed about it) so I decided to go back to being Kathyp (a renowned bitch at the beginning but she has mellowed a little).

rotf.gif

Just saw the thread about the cat with the rows. Didnt know anything about groups as I don't bother with the Lounge etc. Noticed you posted saying Rich (Thisispop) has left BJ. I had been wondering where he had been for ages. That is terrible news - one of the best, if not the best poster the site had. Hopefully he returns at some stage.

I just read your post about the male advice - very funny and quite true really laugh.gif

Btw just saw your post on the OS - as I couldnt be arsed posting there I'll say here that the combined sales of Rob outside the UK is vastly more than TT in the UK overall - afterall Rob has sold around 19m albums in the UK but 58M worldwide - loads of his albums have sold 7-8m worldwide but 2-2.5m in the UK. The UK market is limited to 2-2.5m in general for big selling albums - on an international level if an album is promoted well and a big tour like Rob did will all albums prior to Rudebox then the market overall is vastly larger and Rob has sold up to four times more even when albums sell 2m in the UK. And by proportion in Germany for example Rob selling 1-1.5m copies of several albums woudl be the equivalent to over 3m in the UK - it is something that is very rare in the UK especially for international acts. If Rob just sold the standard 2m per album in the UK (like TT have done with their 2) like he did with six of them he would never in a million years been offered the £80M deal - not even a 1/4 of that I bet. The international market (outside the US and UK) is potentially much much larger than the UK but very few acts can achieve the success and maintain it. Record sales have declined so much in recent years though that is is now the touring that matter so now moreso than ever if serious money is being made then the international market is more important than ever. Tbh that is what I will find the most interesting - how the tour will be marketed abroad - I am sure Gaz has a very good plan prepared - he is probably working with Josie just like in the Moyles interview with Rob not having a clue and not caring either way laugh.gif

Btw unless you take a few days to go back and forth in an argument on the OS you won't win. Getting the last word will be impossible there laugh.gif Best trying to wind them up for the laugh though laugh.gif

This post has been edited by De Niro: Aug 27 2010, 12:55 AM

+Quote this post
Slick
post Aug 27 2010, 01:10 AM
Post #37
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
This reminds me of a bland Robbie ballad ('Advertising Space', 'Misunderstood') or a bland Take That ballad ('I'd Wait For Life', other Barlow material.) It's like they've combined the worst of their songwriting and made this, which is neither good vocally OR lyrically. I am massively disappointed because I miss the good Robbie days, and Gary is capable of much better with Take That. I thought this song might herald some massive change or improvement, but alas.

The video is very gay, but I like that they're poking fun at their relationship (I think they are, anyway.)

+Quote this post
Kath
post Aug 27 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(De Niro @ Aug 27 2010, 01:52 AM) *
rotf.gif

Just saw the thread about the cat with the rows. Didnt know anything about groups as I don't bother with the Lounge etc. Noticed you posted saying Rich (Thisispop) has left BJ. I had been wondering where he had been for ages. That is terrible news - one of the best, if not the best poster the site had. Hopefully he returns at some stage.

Really disappointing news about TIP. One of the most knowledgeable posters and he goes. Apparently (this is just hearsay as another poster told me bits) there was a bit of a 'do' in the moderator's lounge (I didn't know they still had one) and he gave an ultimatum .... never a good thing to do. Still I'm sure he could have been talked into staying .... I get the feeling he was a bit of a 'rogue' mod though (in a heroic, good sort of way) and probably just got bored of it here. Well to be fair ... 90% of the time it is bloody boring here ... some of the posts are positively inane ... but as me and Rich (mainly me I suppose) are a lot older ... I think we tend to forget that this is a 'for the young in the main' site. But where are we to go ... there are no 'boring old bast*rd' sites about on the information superhighway!

Btw unless you take a few days to go back and forth in an argument on the OS you won't win. Getting the last word will be impossible there laugh.gif Best trying to wind them up for the laugh though laugh.gif

I know! This is why I do it!

Kath

+Quote this post
Kath
post Aug 27 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Back to the cat though! I'm sorry ... I just can't help thinking about it ... it was the talk of the pub last night when I went to our quiz. We all agreed that although it wasn't funny (for the cat) one's natural instinct when seeing the beginning of the clip was to laugh. Maybe because we've seen so many 'put up' clips in the past in comedy sketches, etc. I do think that Britain has got its bloody priorities wrong when this woman (who has obviously got something amiss somewhere) has now got death threats against her. I bet half the people who want to kill her have got a criminal records themselves for violence against people! I wonder if Max Clifford has contacted the cat yet?

Its a funny old world ... but this is why I don't post in The Lounge anymore (well it is a bit naff anyway). They think I'm 'bincatwoman's sister'

Anyway ... must start talking about something else ... as I'm typing ... my cat is looking up at me!

Kath

This post has been edited by Kathyp: Aug 27 2010, 09:08 AM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Aug 27 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140
Noticed you posted saying Rich (Thisispop) has left BJ.

Hope you don't mind me butting in here was gauging reaction on the new single when I read this. Thought I hadn't seen Thisispop posting for a while. His input will be missed. sad.gif I agree, being an older member it's sometimes difficult to fit in such a young dominated site.

+Quote this post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:04 PM