BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chart Replay: Usher vs. Girls Aloud, 15 years on
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Usher vs. Girls Aloud
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 77
Guests cannot vote 
Liam.k.
post Jul 4 2019, 01:05 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

It's 15 years since Usher's 'Burn' and Girls Aloud's 'The Show' entered the UK chart.

'Burn' was Usher's follow-up to his massive #1 single 'Yeah!' and second single to be released from Confessions, although original plans were for 'Burn' to lead the album,only changed when 'Yeah!' leaked and received great acclaim.

'The Show' was Girls Aloud's lead single to their second album and saw a change in sound and image; the birth of their cheeky, poppy-synth sound the girls are recognised for.

Both were hot contenders to reach #1 but, in the end, Usher finished with a 20k lead over Girls Aloud, debuting with 49,334 sales compared to their 28,572. 'Burn' has since been certified Gold for sales of over 400k, way ahead of 'The Show' which has just over 100k.

15 years on, which is your favourite?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 4 2019, 01:05 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

Top 10
01 (NE) Usher - Burn
02 (NE) Girls Aloud - The Show
03 (02) Britney Spears - Everytime
04 (01) McFly - Obviously
05 (03) Mario Winans feat. Enya & P Diddy - I Don't Wanna Know
06 (NE) Kylie Minogue - Chocolate
07 (04) Outkast - Roses
08 (NE) George Michael - Flawless (Go to the City)
09 (NE) Blue - Blubbin'
10 (05) O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei

Top 40 New Entries
11 (NE) Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get It Started
14 (NE) Basement Jaxx feat. Lisa Kekaula - Good Luck
17 (NE) The Ordinary Boys - Talk Talk Talk
27 (NE) Ryan Adams - Wonderwall
30 (NE) 20-20s - Shoot Your Gun
35 (NE) Eighties Matchbox B-Line - I Could Be An Angle
38 (NE) Longview - In a Dream

Previous Chart Replays
S Club 7 - 'Bring It All Back' vs. Madonna - 'Beautiful Stranger' (1999)
ATB - '9 PM (Till I Come)' vs. Whitney Houston - 'My Love is Your Love' (1999)

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jul 4 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #3
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

This is tougher than the previous two of these for me as I like both of them about the same amount but they're both not exactly songs I would ever randomly feel like listening to. Think I'll go with GA here solely because no one needs 'Burn' when the same era gave us the miiiiles better 'Yeah!'

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Jul 4 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely Girls Aloud!

"Burn" was never a fave of mine, he has SO many better songs!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 4 2019, 01:33 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol

I've grown to appreciate 'The Show' a lot more. I've always liked it but I've never rated it as one of their best and it always annoyed me seeing it tend do so well in Girls Aloud rates and things, especially at the expense of songs I would rate among their best. The past year it's been one I've found myself returning to a fair bit so I think I rate it a lot higher now.

'Burn' is nice but that style of R&B slow jam isn't really my thing. 'Yeah!' remains Usher's best and I don't think it'll be beaten.

(Great new entries in the shape of Kylie and BEP that week. 'Everytime' is one of Britney's very best ballads and 'Obviously' is probably my favourite McFly song.)

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 4 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #6
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

'The Show' by absolute miles! I've always found 'Burn' really boring... but as others said, at least that era gave us the fantastic 'Yeah!'. I love everything about 'The Show' - super catchy, quintessentially quirky Girls Aloud lyrics, well-produced and a fun video. How has it been 15 years though drama.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 4 2019, 01:41 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol

'The Show' kinda passed me by as a kid which is strange as I distinctly remember 'Jump' and 'Love Machine' from the time.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jul 4 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

both are pretty meh but The Show is the least forgettable

my fav from Usher is My Boo with Alicia Kerys which was released later that year

+Quote Post
danG
post Jul 4 2019, 03:43 PM
Post #9
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

'The Show' isn't one of my absolute faves of theirs but it easily beats 'Burn' for me.

'Yeah' is miles better than both of these though.

It should've been 'Let's Get It Started' and 'Good Luck' in the top 2 instead, both missing the top 10 is a big injustice.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 4 2019, 03:58 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 4 2019, 04:43 PM) *
It should've been 'Let's Get It Started' and 'Good Luck' in the top 2 instead, both missing the top 10 is a big injustice.

They were unlucky to release in a competitive week as they had both sold enough to be Top 10 the previous week.

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post Jul 4 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,155

Burn by far

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 4 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #12
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Usher literally has two good singles in my opinion: 'Pop Ya Collar' and 'U Make Me Wanna'. This is neither of them, this only got to #1 because it was in that weird time when people stopped buying CD singles in the same quantities they did and gravitated like sheep by default to US R&B and hip hop because it was the in thing (see virtually 25% of the number ones from 2004, with particular gaze on that dreadful Eamon/Frankee whiny dirge we had almost nigh on two months of).

'The Show' is the far better of the two fifteen years on and back then. Girls Aloud meant something huge to fans of out and out pop music like myself back in 2004 and this was why. They were the only ones daring to be different and not go with whatever the flavour of the day was - a lot of it down to Peter Loraine at Polydor/Fascination who believed in them when so many didn't simply because of where they came from, pushing so hard for them, but also Brian Higgins and Xenomania producing all their music and taking the biggest risks with them sound wise and music wise.

You would certainly be hard pushed to find anyone else back then recording 'The Show' or 'Love Machine', or even the likes of 'Biology' a year later and making it their own. At this point in their career, they may not have got the radio play or the commercial acceptance that they would get in later years, but they were on the way to it for sure.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jul 4 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #13

One of the biggest names in music for the best part of 2 decades only got a #1 at the peak of his relevance because 'US R&B was the in thing'. Okay then. I guess that explains why he never had any other hits after 2004, and why we never hear his 2004 hits any more... oh wait. You might not like Usher but what a bizarre argument.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jul 4 2019, 04:36 PM
Post #14
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I don't think I've heard 'Burn' since it was out, so although I couldn't tell you how it goes I do remember it was boring as f***.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 4 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Jul 4 2019, 05:11 PM) *
'The Show' is the far better of the two fifteen years on and back then. Girls Aloud meant something huge to fans of out and out pop music like myself back in 2004 and this was why. They were the only ones daring to be different and not go with whatever the flavour of the day was - a lot of it down to Peter Loraine at Polydor/Fascination who believed in them when so many didn't simply because of where they came from, pushing so hard for them, but also Brian Higgins and Xenomania producing all their music and taking the biggest risks with them sound wise and music wise.

You would certainly be hard pushed to find anyone else back then recording 'The Show' or 'Love Machine', or even the likes of 'Biology' a year later and making it their own. At this point in their career, they may not have got the radio play or the commercial acceptance that they would get in later years, but they were on the way to it for sure.

Yeah Xenomania did a fantastic job of creating interesting sounds and structures within the compounds of commercial pop music. It was the same with their work outside of Girls Aloud - I know they worked with Kylie in 2004 and they came up with something really fresh and different for her.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 4 2019, 05:22 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Jul 4 2019, 05:25 PM) *
One of the biggest names in music for the best part of 2 decades only got a #1 at the peak of his relevance because 'US R&B was the in thing'. Okay then. I guess that explains why he never had any other hits after 2004, and why we never hear his 2004 hits any more... oh wait. You might not like Usher but what a bizarre argument.

Sorry but where did I suggest that he wasn't relevant beyond 2004? I was just stating what one of the trends was that year, which he was part of with two number ones. Don't start putting words in my mouth please.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 4 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Medellíam @ Jul 4 2019, 05:41 PM) *
Yeah Xenomania did a fantastic job of creating interesting sounds and structures within the compounds of commercial pop music. It was the same with their work outside of Girls Aloud - I know they worked with Kylie in 2004 and they came up with something really fresh and different for her.

They were at the peak of their powers definitely. Also I loved the Kylie single that was new that week. I seem to be one of the few fans who loved 'Body Language' when that came out!

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jul 4 2019, 05:37 PM
Post #18
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Burn is definitely the better song but both are average.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jul 4 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Jul 4 2019, 06:22 PM) *
Sorry but where did I suggest that he wasn't relevant beyond 2004? I was just stating what one of the trends was that year, which he was part of with two number ones. Don't start putting words in my mouth please.

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Jul 4 2019, 05:11 PM) *
this only got to #1 because it was in that weird time when people stopped buying CD singles in the same quantities they did and gravitated like sheep by default to US R&B and hip hop because it was the in thing

My point is the fact that he was still having huge hits for a full decade after this is probably a pretty good indication that this isn't true.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 4 2019, 06:16 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

The Show is decent but Burn is one of Usher's bests and up there with the best of 2004.

Yeah! is so overrated and ridiculously overplayed - can't hit the skip button quickly enough...

This post has been edited by dobbo: Jul 4 2019, 06:19 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:25 AM