BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> CHESS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Playing chess
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
m
post Jun 25 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

It has struck me that I haven't played chess in absolutely AGES, in fact I'm not sure I'd be able to confidently state that I have even played chess in my adult life ;o I used to as a kid / teenager and I wasn't the best at it but I've always loved playing board games etc (draughts was my baby, used to play the hell out of that with my sis). I'd love to be really good at it and seem intellectually superior, I may need to dig out the old chessboard with someone if I can find it lmao, and see if I can work my strategic magic.

What about you?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Jun 25 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
Shite

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Jun 25 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
I occasionally play on Chess With Friends. Send me a game request! tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jun 25 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
We used to have a glass chess-themed table in the front room with glass pieces on it *.*

I am decent enough at chess but haven't played for years.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Jun 25 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Omg Bernadette teas.

I learnt to play chess when I was 11 and did so for like 3 days but couldn’t play now to save my life.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 25 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
I was a member of the chess club at school when I was 12-13, and I played at an inter-school level and was pretty good at it. I don't play it that much now, as I'm not a big fan of the game - it's too stressful.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jun 25 2018, 08:29 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I think I played it once years ago and my young mind couldn't handle it so I've rejected it since. I still find it a bit confusing oops, I should play it again though as I'm a bit more open to mind-stimulating challenges today.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jun 25 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
One little tidbit I always like bragging to people about is that I have played chess at a national level, representing Cornwall.... TWICE when I was like 11 and 12. I was captain of the school chess team at secondary school and always the lead for my house in the inter-house chess tournaments (*.*), which my house won once I believe. It was basically my ONE good 'sporting' thing so I made it a big part of my identity.

It's through playing it where I understand how people in professional sports can sometimes mess up, the pressure really gets to you at times.

So yes, you could say I'm good at chess. I don't really do as much as I used to except occasional chess.com matches, although when I was at uni, I often used it as an icebreaker to get in with a certain crowd. I'd love to join a chess club but there isn't one in my city. All in all, it has been far too long since I played competitively. The other thing I find about playing it now is that I've been spoiled with computer strategy games, there aren't enough interesting variations in the game meta for me to play it for enjoyment against a computer or more than one friendly match at a time. Unless a friend suggests it, then I'll be all for it, I like teaching it, I do really think it should be more popular than it is.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Jun 26 2018, 03:31 AM
Post #9
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454
I have never played it and I don't think I would be good at it.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Jun 26 2018, 04:57 AM
Post #10
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
I've played it a few times in my life but never often enough to really get good at it, like I'll play a couple of times one day and start to get good but then I won't touch a chessboard for 3 years and I'll forget everything about it tongue.gif

+Quote this post
mdh
post Jun 26 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
Never played it and wouldn't have a bloody clue what to do laugh.gif. Looks boring too, so I doubt I ever will.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jun 26 2018, 01:29 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Okay, for people who want to learn (and this game does wonders for your decision making skills too), without doing a tldr, basics for getting good at chess:

1. Memorise what each piece does, there’s not many to learn and this means you can visualise on each move what might possibly happen next. This includes predicting your opponent, figure their play style and you’ve won. The trick to getting really good is figuring probable next moves to think even more moves ahead and therefore plan a strategy towards checkmate.
2. Assign a point value to pieces to help you evaluate your strength, it varies on what’s happening but the common one is pawn = 1, bishop and knight = 3, rook = 5, queen = 9. If you are ahead of your opponent on points, you have the advantage.
3. Learn a few common opening movesets to help you start games with confidence. Ruy Lopez and Four Knights are good for beginners. Once you’ve moved a few pieces around, if you’ve done steps one and two you’ll have a sense of what moves make sense next.
4. Lose a bit. Take every loss as something to learn for the next game. If you don’t try, you’ll never get good.
5. Start reading chess strategy books and dream of being the next Kasparov.

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Jun 27 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I don’t like it and don’t understand it and have tried playing but didn’t really enjoy it.

I like checkers though biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Nov 26 2020, 05:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Found a thread I was looking for! tongue.gif

Does anyone here play chess? I wouldn’t mind some online games with the BuzzJack community! happy.gif

+Quote this post
lotita
post Nov 26 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #15
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
I love chess!!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 26 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Very trendy right now thanks to The Queen’s Gambit!

I haven’t played in years but did enjoy it a lot back in the day.

Edit: oops turned out I already posted in here a couple of years ago laugh.gif never mind x

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 26 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Played it at school, was in the chess club, and sporadically played it ever since, still do, but with better players who are serious about moves, and rules you follow to get great. As I compare myself to serious club players I qualify as "OK" but that's not an option here laugh.gif I did some online matches before I joined buzzjack, but it's too much time commitment. I enjoy it but I'm not bothered remotely whether I win or lose, though I do get a kick out of making random unpredictable decisions that regular players frown on, and once in a blue moon winning anyway despite that.

Young lad at work challenged me to a game last Xmas Eve lunchtime, he was a decent player and had just won against a colleague. I kinda won after looking like I was cornered, before wiping some big pieces out, and felt so sorry for him I just said I was lucky laugh.gif I like winning, and aren't bothered if I don't, but never let anyone win out of pity (I'd HATE that, I'd rather lose), but I feel so sorry for the loser if they get crestfallen instead of laughing it off as experience...

+Quote this post
Flatcap
post Nov 26 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Nah.
User: 27
I played it once or twice years ago, but it failed to interest me very much. My brother did participate in school tournaments and was rather good at it, he hasn't played it in years.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 27 2020, 04:06 AM
Post #19
Group icon
QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 26 2020, 05:08 PM) *
Very trendy right now thanks to The Queen’s Gambit!

Whatever this is, thank you (ooh, sounds like I might be interested), always support a bit of chess resurgence.

I'll take on all challengers.

I've recently experienced a lot of pain from watching 2 vtubers (who I support a lot) trying and only sorta succeeding playing it on stream, not once, but twice so I'm very ready to be patient with people who aren't experienced players.

+Quote this post
dhwe
post Nov 27 2020, 04:13 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384
my dad loves chess and he taught me when I was younger, unfortunately I can't say I'm very good lmao

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:27 PM