BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> La La Land, 13th Jan 2017 | Emma Stone & Ryan Gosling
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Jul 17 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Favourite trailer of the year heart.gif Beyond hyped for this, so incredible and everything about this looks perfect! The song in the trailer is also terrific! Wouldn't surprise me if this ended up being the Best Picture winner at the Oscars!

It stars Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling and is directed by Damian Chazelle (director of Whiplash)! This really could be incredible wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jul 17 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Ryan singing omg *.* him and Emma have amazing chemistry and this looks faaab.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 25 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

I am so bloody hyped for this, omfg.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Dec 12 2016, 08:00 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
This is gonna be so good. I can tell!

It's been getting the main awards at a few of the festivals that it's been shown at! I think it'll be a big box office smash too!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 9 2017, 12:56 AM
Post #5
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
I so wanted to love this more than I ended up doing so. In the end I feel like I can only give it 7/10. Very nice to look at and very well acted, Emma and Ryan are GREAT together, but it's a musical and for me, the music didn't click as much as it should have - I tapped my feet more to "Take On Me" than any of the original music. I love Mia & Sebastian's Theme, but I'd much rather "How Far I'll Go" or "Can't Stop The Feeling" win Original Song rather than "City of Stars".

I really liked the full circle-ness of some of the ending (Mia walking into the coffee shop she'd worked in) but I'm not sure about the overall conclusion, I'm a bit sad that they didn't end up together, her 'what could've been' at the end should've been the reality!!!.

BUT I feel like it could go up if I were to have a repeat viewing and become more familiar with the songs. Idk, reading up on it on Wikipedia makes me feel like I could appreciate it more in future. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jan 9 2017, 01:05 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
I think a certain veteran Buzzjacker might like this film.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 9 2017, 07:05 AM
Post #7
Group icon
User: 13,007
So I need to watch this going off the GGs? Doesn't look like my usual thing AT ALL but I'll give it a chance ~

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 12 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Watching this tonight! Cannot wait! My friend wants me to dress up smart, like we're in the film/going to the cinema pre-80's lmao. Eek.

+Quote this post
post Jan 12 2017, 11:00 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I'm in agreement with Jack, a beautifully made movie but on the whole overrated and somewhat bloated. I feel like absolutely everything was thrown in to appeal to a mass audience and win as many awards possible. I also didn't like much of the music, the best number for me was the "girls getting ready", which is near the start so it peaked way to early for me.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 12 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
I'm seeing this tomorrow, so so excited!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 13 2017, 12:17 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Absolutely brilliant. Oh my word. It lost it's way ever so slightly in the middle, but I cannot explain to you how good I feel right now and soon as it finished. laugh.gif I feel invincible tbh and feel like I'm in my own little la la land! laugh.gif

Cannot wait to rewatch it. It felt like a classic, with a modern edge and I think that's what's so captivating about it. Stripping musicals right back to basics! So good. I genuinely cannot name one pair of actors or actresses, who have better on-screen chemistry than Ryan and Emma! I seriously can't!

9.5/10 for me. I get why some people may feel disappointed, but I really did not. I'm on such a high right now lmao!

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Jan 13 2017, 01:03 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
Any movie that gets huge critical acclaim before it's even been released in this country (so basically every Oscar contender ever) normally doesn't do too great for me, as I enter with high expectations and end up disappointed.

Not this time. Loved, loved LOVED this biggrin.gif For various reasons a huge amount of it resonated with me and it ended up exactly the type of film I wanted, realistic and bleak in places but with enough hope and positivity to still leave me feeling hugely happy (and inspired!) as I left the cinema. I've always loved Emma Stone but until now I've never really appreciated Ryan Gosling, they're both awesome in this - two wonderful characters I felt immediately connected to from their opening scenes and right through the film.

My favourite thing about it? The alternate 'meeting' scene when Sebastian's at the piano and Mia tries to talk to him - the complete opposite to what happens in the trailer and had a fair few people laugh in the screen as it caught them off guard, everyone expecting the big romantic kiss and instead he just pushes past her! Obviously the 'trailer version' of the scene is saved until the end...

Even if you're sceptical and not a musical fan, my god go see this, any awards it wins are absolutely deserved!!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 13 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #13
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Superb. Magical. Perfect.

Quite possibly my favourite live action film this decade.

(More later!)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 13 2017, 10:42 PM
Post #14
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
The more I think about it, the more I think this could already be in my top 10 films of all time! I haven't felt this way about a film since Frozen!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 14 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I don't mean to overhype this, but I really can't stop thinking about this film lmao. Helps that we're playing the soundtrack at work though haha.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jan 14 2017, 11:51 PM
Post #16
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Definitely in the Jonjo and Sam camp on this of people who loved this, I agree with Jonjo too that it's been on my mind ever since and I've been singing "Another Day of Sun" all day at work! I do agree with Joe though that the music peaked waaay too early, I know that "City of Stars" and "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" seem to be getting all the praise at the moment but "Someone in the Crowd" was also my favourite song and my top three were all in the first half or so (SitC, ADoS and "A Lovely Night"). The music was definitely one of my highlights from the film so glad it is getting a lot of praise anyway.

Of course, the chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone was off the scale and they pretty much made the movie, I don't think it would have been half as enjoyable if Miles Teller and Emma Watson were the leads as originally intended. I don't think I've ever wanted a dream sequence to be more true in my life at the end but I guess it was bittersweet still knowing they achieved their dreams. It's interesting reading some theories and interpretations of the 'what could have been' scene online too, some people really seemed to have disliked Mia and brought up how the dream came from her point of view and whilst showing her happy, married and successful, we never actually see Sebastian achieve his dream of managing a jazz bar of his own.

This definitely has a special, classic sort of feel to it so I'll be pleased when it sweeps all the awards despite preferring a few other performances/films from this year, looking forward to seeing just how well it does smile.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 15 2017, 12:06 AM
Post #17
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Yasss Josh! Glad to see you loved it also! <3

My review will be coming in the next hour or so and warning its gonna be a bloody long review!! I have literally not been able to stop thinking about this since Friday and have had the soundtrack on repeat on Spotify all day!

Also this is looking to be a gigantic box office hit here in the UK ohmy.gif Tracking supposedly is expecting this to open over +£5m!! wub.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 15 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #18
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
QUOTE(Josh. @ Jan 14 2017, 11:51 PM) *
Definitely in the Jonjo and Sam camp on this of people who loved this, I agree with Jonjo too that it's been on my mind ever since and I've been singing "Another Day of Sun" all day at work! I do agree with Joe though that the music peaked waaay too early, I know that "City of Stars" and "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" seem to be getting all the praise at the moment but "Someone in the Crowd" was also my favourite song and my top three were all in the first half or so (SitC, ADoS and "A Lovely Night"). The music was definitely one of my highlights from the film so glad it is getting a lot of praise anyway.

"Another Day of Sun" is the one that's stuck in my head and I've kept going back to over the past week! I'd much rather that pick up the awards/noms than "City of Stars", it's so joyous and the melody is an earworm.

After giving the soundtrack some spins post-viewing, I'm in agreement with what I put at the end of my review that I'd probably like it more now / upgrade it from a 7/10 to 8/10 after another watch.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Jan 15 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
QUOTE(Josh. @ Jan 14 2017, 11:51 PM) *
It's interesting reading some theories and interpretations of the 'what could have been' scene online too, some people really seemed to have disliked Mia and brought up how the dream came from her point of view and whilst showing her happy, married and successful, we never actually see Sebastian achieve his dream of managing a jazz bar of his own.

We do though? That bar at the end was his, it's even named after him (Seb's).

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jan 15 2017, 01:01 AM
Post #20
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
QUOTE(BillyH @ Jan 15 2017, 12:37 AM) *
We do though? That bar at the end was his, it's even named after him (Seb's).

Yeah, in the what really happened scene but not in the dream sequence though, they walk in together to an un-named bar in sit in the crowd together. Could be his or could not be but some interesting interpretations online which I enjoyed reading!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:39 PM