BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> I am going to listen to every Buzzjack Song Contest winner, Completed
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
King Rollo
post 25th June 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

As a newcomer to the forum and the BJSC,I am interested in what songs have won the contest in the past so I thought I would listen to them and post my thoughts. I will listen to one song each day and will try to time the end of this thread to coincide with the start of BJSC 100. Each song will be given a mark out of 10.

Please add your own comments on each song. If you were part of the contest from its inception,this is your chance to share your reminiscences.

This post has been edited by Pumpkin Rollo: 13th October 2017, 06:16 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
seven.
post 25th June 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

hope you approve of my other two winners *.*

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 25th June 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

1. Mdice - And Then We Kiss by Britney Spears

24 countries entered the first contest. I only recognise about four of them. There was obviously no veto sytem in place at this stage,with no.1 singles by Sugababes,Cher and the Spice Girls all entered. Also taking part were Nelly Furtado,Alicia Keys and Delta Goodrem. My vote would definitely have gone to the marvellous Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield and Maggie Reilly. Britney Spears won by 10 points ahead of Maneater by Nelly Furtado in 2nd place (Faztickle) and Tattoo by Jordin Sparks in 3rd place (Kopecka).

I like the Britney Spears song. The production is good featuring synths and strings. The producer Junkie XL explained that he was influenced by Depeche Mode's 'Enjoy The Silence' which is one of my favourite songs. I am not a Britney fan but this is one of the best songs I have heard from her. As some of you may be aware,Britney Spears is an anagram of Presbyterians.

7.8 out of 10.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 25th June 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #4
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

This actually gets me thinking, like, what would BJSC participants from the past be like now in terms of song quality? The face of BJSC has changed so much that often times we can't really tell, but it's like "what could have been?", you know?

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th June 2017, 07:07 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jun 25 2017, 06:55 PM) *

As some of you may be aware,Britney Spears is an anagram of Presbyterians.

7.8 out of 10.

mellow.gif mellow.gif

Randomly incredible. :')

Imma be watching this thread! <3

LOOOVE 'And Then We Kiss'. Not as much as others seem to, but it's Britney bitch and everything she does is flawless. Even her shit songs are flawlessly shit.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 25th June 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(SevenSees @ Jun 25 2017, 06:31 PM) *
hope you approve of my other two winners *.*

I do seeing as I wanted to send both of them laugh.gif

Wait or was the second one that recent one?? I amt hinking of GL and somethin else. But if it was Hurricane too then that was also 10 out of 10.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 25th June 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

QUOTE(Cody S. Berry @ Jun 25 2017, 07:01 PM) *
This actually gets me thinking, like, what would BJSC participants from the past be like now in terms of song quality? The face of BJSC has changed so much that often times we can't really tell, but it's like "what could have been?", you know?

From what I remember a lot of the early early contests had a lot of contestants that were offshoots/regulars of the Eurovision forum so they'd probably be bringing some of the more poppy influenced tracks/songs that are hits in Eastern Europe.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 26th June 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

2. Bokia - Dangerous by Katharine McPhee

34 countries entered the second contest leading to the introduction of a semi-final. In this semi,Hackyack were deducted 75% for failing to vote which cost Rihanna her place in the final. Punishments were very severe in those days. A plethora of A List female singers lined up for the final. Amongst them were Pink,Shakira,Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey. It was a relatively unknown singer who came through to win by just a point ahead of Fidelity by Regina Spektor (Tyronosaurusland) in 2nd place and Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve (Kylienips) in 3rd which is the song that would have got my vote.

'Dangerous' is a solid pop song with a good chorus but overall not very original. Katharine McPhee was runner-up in the 2006 series of American Idol. This track is from her debut album. She has had three hit singles in the US and is now better known as an actress.

6.2 out of 10.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 26th June 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Oh this is a good thread, I'll follow along and hope you enjoy going through all of these winners.

Bittersweet Symphony was the track that won the Reloaded of that edition although you could never call it an unknown discovery quite obviously.

Dangerous has its charms but is definitely one of the weaker winners. And Then We Kiss is one of the better (and slightly more unknown than some other) Britney songs though so a decent thematic first winner.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 26th June 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jun 25 2017, 06:55 PM) *

24 countries entered the first contest. I only recognise about four of them. There was obviously no veto sytem in place at this stage,with no.1 singles by Sugababes,Cher and the Spice Girls all entered. Also taking part were Nelly Furtado,Alicia Keys and Delta Goodrem. My vote would definitely have gone to the marvellous Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield and Maggie Reilly. Britney Spears won by 10 points ahead of Maneater by Nelly Furtado in 2nd place (Faztickle) and Tattoo by Jordin Sparks in 3rd place (Kopecka).

I like the Britney Spears song. The production is good featuring synths and strings. The producer Junkie XL explained that he was influenced by Depeche Mode's 'Enjoy The Silence' which is one of my favourite songs. I am not a Britney fan but this is one of the best songs I have heard from her. As some of you may be aware,Britney Spears is an anagram of Presbyterians.

7.8 out of 10.

Moonlight Shadow is indeed a marvellous song. Poor Maggie Reilly never got an official credit sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 26th June 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

^ 'Moonlight Shadow' is indeed incredible, I would probably go as far as saying it is my favourite song from the 80s. So I would have definitely welcomed that being the first ever BJSC winner kink.gif Britney was no bad winner at all though! I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable 'And Then We Kiss' is.

Weirdly I heard 'Not Ready To Make Nice' (BJSC III winner, the next one in line for you to review) while I was out to dinner tonight ohmy.gif never heard it in public before so that was strange haha.

Great countdown idea King Rollo happy.gif I look forward to following it in its entirety.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 26th June 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #12
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

The Bhangra review should be interesting. It would be nice to see what you think of the contrast between that and David's latest entries.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 26th June 2017, 11:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Thanks all for the comments. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 26th June 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #14
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I'm intrigued to find out your take on my 2 winners when you eventually get to them in... a little over 2 months if you do keep up one post per day! Shall make sure to keep up with this thread Rollo. x

'Dangerous' is probably maybe the worst BJSC winner ever unless I'm forgetting something obvious. There aren't many of them that I flat out dislike but that was one of the worst songs in what was an all-round bad contest (if I recall correctly from the Re:LOADED a few years back).

edit: I was forgetting something obvious - make that 2nd worst behind 'I Kissed A Girl' xx

+Quote this post
Silas
post 27th June 2017, 06:18 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

You forgot the utter heap of shite that won the 10th contest

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 27th June 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

3. Bhangra - Not Ready To Make Nice by Dixie Chicks

26 countries entered the third contest,negating the need for a semi-final. An eclectic line-up included Liberty X,Blink 182 and Bob Dylan and I'm pleased to see Nik Kershaw finish as high as 12th with 'The Riddle'. This could be the only contest where someone entered a group with the same name as a competing country with Spila entering 'My Own Way' by Bhangra. This song would have finished 4th but the dreaded 75% deduction still in place pushed it down to 22nd. Dixie Chicks won by 6 points ahead of 80s classic The Final Countdown by Europe (Romeria) and Duffy's live version of Mercy (Rivandia).

The Dixie Chicks song is very good. I like the lead vocals and the brass section. In 2003,one of the Dixie Chicks said at a concert she was ashamed George Bush was from Texas and this song is about the backlash the group received afterwards including death threats and lack of radio airplay. The single still managed to get to no.4 in the US and won 3 Grammys but only reached no.70 over here.

And Cody,yes,this is very different to Bhangra's trance entry from the last contest which I also liked and actually voted for.

8.5 out of 10.

+Quote this post
danG
post 27th June 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #17
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I don't generally enjoy country music but I do have a soft spot for that song, the lyrics are very good. It's also one of my mum's favourite songs.

As for the first two, 'And Then We Kiss' is decent (and at least it was one of her more unknown songs that did it) and 'Dangerous' sounds really dated and awful.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 27th June 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

How the hell did Dangerous win?!

+Quote this post
danG
post 27th June 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #19
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Contest was overrun with pop hoes and EuroLoons back then, wasn't the diverse hot pot we have today. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 27th June 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The Riddle was a really good song - even go the lyrics did make no sense whatsoever laugh.gif

+Quote this post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:39 AM