BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The future of the monarchy
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post Oct 24 2017, 06:38 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
Does it still have a useful role to play in the 21st century?

For me, the alternative - having a politician as head of state, is a very unpleasant prospect!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 24 2017, 11:59 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
oh OK since no-one wants to bite...

I'm in favour of the monarchy as a tourist attraction as long as they are privatised and the State pays nothing except for the cost of hosting visiting dignitaries and Parliamentary duties.

they should have no actual or theoretical legislative powers, though I'm happy for the Queen to remain as symbolic Head Of State/Commonwealth, a bit like the flag, it's just there for people to point to as a reminder of the days the UK conquered much of the world and helped itself.

The House Of Lords should be abolished and replaced with a second chamber with actual powers elected every mid-term, which will focus the minds of parties in power somewhat if they can't get legislation through the Chamber designed to discuss hasty legislation in more detail (the power-grab of May would likely have been thrown out without needing private individuals to go to the Courts to prove it was illegal, which was breath-takingly and shockingly allowed by the elected representatives of the 2 main parties).

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Oct 27 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
The monarchy should be disbanded - its an out of date relic and the way many British papers fawn over it does my head in.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Oct 27 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Oct 27 2017, 11:45 PM) *
The monarchy should be disbanded - its an out of date relic and the way many British papers fawn over it does my head in.

It's really only the Daily Mail though from what I can see, although I suppose they are the ones who take it to a particularly extreme level.

This post has been edited by Hissin🎇Sparkler: Oct 27 2017, 11:15 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 27 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Hissin🎇Sparkler @ Oct 28 2017, 12:09 AM) *
It's really only the Daily Mail though from what I can see, although I suppose they are the ones who take it to a particularly extreme level.

And the rest of the tabloids and the Telegraph. That's before we mention the BBC.

It was all that fawning that first turned me against the royals when I was about eleven. Since then my anti-monarchy views have strengthened and gained in coherence. The idea of a hereditary actuary (which would be me as my father is a retired actuary) or GP etc. is nonsensical. By the same logic a hereditary head of state is equally nonsensical.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 28 2017, 06:01 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 28 2017, 12:20 AM) *
And the rest of the tabloids and the Telegraph. That's before we mention the BBC.

It was all that fawning that first turned me against the royals when I was about eleven. Since then my anti-monarchy views have strengthened and gained in coherence. The idea of a hereditary actuary (which would be me as my father is a retired actuary) or GP etc. is nonsensical. By the same logic a hereditary head of state is equally nonsensical.

Unfortunately, the only realistic alternative is to have an elected head of state - a decidedly unappealing prospect, especially given the American example... tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 28 2017, 08:16 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 28 2017, 07:01 AM) *
Unfortunately, the only realistic alternative is to have an elected head of state - a decidedly unappealing prospect, especially given the American example... tongue.gif

He has power, the Queen is just a figurehead for Parliament (though she has powers in theory in practice it would end the Monarchy if they were ever used). Any nation could elect a parrot and get the same service, though it wouldn't bring in as much tourist revenue for the spectacles of Royal Parrot weddings. Sqwaaaaaauk! I sqwaaauk do.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 28 2017, 09:20 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Chop-part-freak @ Oct 28 2017, 09:16 AM) *
He has power, the Queen is just a figurehead for Parliament (though she has powers in theory in practice it would end the Monarchy if they were ever used).

The last thing I'd want is for a British 'Donald Trump' to be head of state though!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 28 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 28 2017, 10:20 AM) *
The last thing I'd want is for a British 'Donald Trump' to be head of state though!

At least we would have a choice. If Jug-ears proves to be as bad as some people think, there's nothing we can do about it. We will just have to wait for him to die.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 28 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 28 2017, 10:26 AM) *
At least we would have a choice. If Jug-ears proves to be as bad as some people think, there's nothing we can do about it. We will just have to wait for him to die.

But as a mere figurehead, no monarch could do any real harm anyway.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Oct 28 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 28 2017, 10:26 AM) *

Would you want a pair of jug ears on a postage stamp though. wink.gif sad.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 28 2017, 10:30 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Hocus Pokus @ Oct 28 2017, 11:12 AM) *
Would you want a pair of jug ears on a postage stamp though. wink.gif sad.gif

Fortunately the heads on stamps are in profile... tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Oct 28 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
There are countries in the world other than the US who have an elected head of state. Consequently there's a myriad of options if we ever were to abolish the monarchy. Given the way that Parliament currently has a lot of power due to our head of state being mainly ceremonial, it would be an enormous task to write a British Constitution in a way which gave the powers you'd expect to a directly elected head of state and took them away from Parliament. I'd therefore imagine that if we ever do get rid of the monarchy, it would be replaced by something more similar to the German model, where the head of Parliament is the more powerful figure but the president has the power to veto laws if they are deemed unconstitutional.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:07 AM