BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Emma Bunton's B Sides / Other Songs, Which are your favourites?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Mar 10 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
B Sides
(Hey You) Free Up Your Mind (Pokémon: The First Movie / What Took You So Long?)
Merry-Go Round (What Took You So Long?)
Close Encounter (Take My Breath Away)
Invincible (Take My Breath Away)
Let Your Baby Show You How to Move (We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight)
Don't Tell Me You Love Me Anymore (Maybe)
So Long (I'll Be There)
Takin' It Easy (I'll Be There)
Eso Beso (Crickets Sing for Anamaria)
So Nice (Summer Samba) (Crickets Sing for Anamaria)
Midnight and Martinis (All I Need to Know)

Leaked Unreleased Songs
Crazy
Crazy Beautiful
Ladylike
Secrets
To Have and to Have to Let Go
That's Why It Hurts
Rhapsody

Other Appearances
I Don't Know [Damage feat. Emma Bunton]
Sometimes

Have I missed any? biggrin.gif

Which are your favourite non-album songs from Emma?

'So Long' is far and away my favourite here. wub.gif It's a downbeat song, but also beautiful. I feel like it was more than strong enough to have been album worthy, although I can appreciate that its vibe didn't match what Free Me was going for as a body of work, so I can understand its exclusion.

It's been years since I've listened to some of the leaks, so I don't remember how most of them sounds, oops (think I'm overdue a listen!). However, I can still recall 'Ladylike', so I suppose that's my favourite by default! I think it's from the Life in Mono sessions - it would have provided a good uptempo moment on an album that is rather lacking in them, so it's a shame that it didn't make the cut.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Mar 10 2019, 10:31 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
YOU LEFT OUT IN ANOTHER LIFE!

Ooohhh yeah let's get into this.

I am not going to bother with pre-Free Me bsides because I find them all quite lacking lol

She had a really great run with bsides in the Free Me and Life in Mono eras:

So Long (I'll Be There) - her best rarety, for sure. It is such a stunning song, and I actually think it would have faired ok on the Free Me album, personally. Maybe with a slightly different edit. But it is just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. One of my favourites of hers overall.

Takin' It Easy (I'll Be There) - So nice and Summery and breazzy. I love it.

Eso Beso & So Nice (Summer Samba) (Crickets Sing for Anamaria) - The type of tracks I wish Emma would do more. Both STUNNING and fun.

Midnight and Martinis (All I Need to Know) - I know a lot of people think this is 'elevator music' but to that I say: learn how to listen to pop beyond the mainstream/in your face. This is classy, soft and gorgeous, it would have fitted really well on the album ( and I personally wish it had, specially in place of those horrible covers) !

Crazy - Didnt like it at first, but now I think it is quirtegood. Really grew on me recently.

Crazy Beautiful - With a proper edit and finished production, I feel this could have been a really great album track on Life in Mono.

In Another Life - I think this would have been a great bside to, say, No Sign of Life wub.gif

Ladylike - I still don't like this. For me, it is the kind of music that it is just toooooooo bubble gum pop. I am glad it was left out of release plans.

Secrets - Cute and cool, with a finished edit and production, it could have been a good bside. But this feels like Emma stretching her wings into more experimental territory and I welcome it!

To Have and to Have to Let Go - meh....

That's Why It Hurts - It's ok. Would have been an ok bside, not her best. On the level with Don't Tell Me You Love Me Anymore...

Rhapsody - SO GORGEOUS! A stunning track, should have been on Life in Mono, for SURE! Imagine, that instead of the those bloody covers, we would have gotten Rapsody, Midnight & Martinis and Crazy Beautiful?! Missed opportunity.

I Don't Know [Damage feat. Emma Bunton] - GORGEOUS! Should have been a single then. It sounds a *little bit* dated now, but I still like it and back then it would have been amazing to have a video and on the radio.

Sometimes - trash. I hate it that singers often record tripe like this 'in the name of charity' like, just because it is for poor people doesnt mean it has to be trash. Poor people like good music too you know?! Blargh...

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Mar 10 2019, 10:32 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Also, let me just say that even if some tracks are not great or up to her standard, she still manages to sound absolutely flawless on all of them! wub.gif

Her vocals of To Have and To Have to Let Go are just heaven!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Mar 10 2019, 11:13 AM
Post #4
Group icon
ohmy.gif How did I miss the In Another Life leak! *goes to download it immediately*

Enjoyed reading your thoughts wub.gif Really need to listen to all of these again!

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Mar 14 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217
Always loved I Don’t Know, should’ve been a single

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Mar 17 2019, 10:29 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
You missed Sophisticated Lady with Mel B and One Thing I Know from S Club 8 where she does the backing vocals on lol.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Mar 17 2019, 06:09 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Although I knew about the S Club 8 song, I'm not sure if I've ever heard it before! ohmy.gif I'll have to check it out.

Sophisticated Lady. wub.gif Was cool that Emma worked with Mel B on that. Have either of them ever discussed that? Similarly, Melanie C contributed backing vocals to Emma's (Hey You) Free Up Your Mind!

+Quote this post
southernstar
post Mar 17 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 41,834
I like a lot (Hey You) Free Up Your Mind and Sophisticated Lady...love these collaborations between the three most talented girls...

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Mar 17 2019, 06:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Its a shame S Club 8s music isnt on spotify, One Thing I Know sounds like a Spice Girls song. You clearly hear Emma and she has writing credits on it.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Apr 3 2019, 03:00 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Can we update this now with Everybody Wants To Be as it has leaked as of today?

Personally, I hate it lol I am SO GLAD it was taken off the album mellow.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Apr 6 2019, 12:07 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I don't mind it tbh! It's quite innocuous, would have been an alright B Side cool2.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:05 PM