BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> General Racist Thread, UKIP discussion thread
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Aug 3 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #1
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

There doesn't seem to have been a general thread for UKIP a la the ones for the other major parties, but given the recent resignation of Nigel Farage as leader, as well as the fact that the party has now seemingly achieved their main political objective, it seems the right time to make one, complete with the trademark snarky topic title.

The 6 candidates to replace Nigel Farage as leader of the party were announced earlier today. They are -

Jonathan Arnott MEP
Phillip Broughton
Lisa Duffy
Bill Etheridge MEP
Diane James MEP
Elizabeth Jones

Three of them are currently MEPs, one sits as a councilor, whilst the other two don't hold any elected office. Their only MP, Douglas Carswell didn't stand (although he's more than hinted that he's not going to be a UKIP member come the next election). Steven Woolf, who was seen as the front runner, had his application refused as it was received 20 mins too late.

Of the 6 names, the only one I'm familiar with is Diane James, she seems to come across reasonably for a UKIP member when I've seen her on TV, not sure if she'll get the nod though. I'm sure we'll hear from the others a lot over the coming weeks - I'm guessing that the UKIP leadership election is the only leadership contest where making a faux pas makes the membership MORE likely to vote for you.

Of course, the big question is where the future of UKIP lies now that they've achieved their main goal. Are they likely to morph into a more generic working-class nationalist party, or fizzle out? Do they have a hope in heck of matching the 4 million votes they received in 2015?

Discuss at your leisure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Silas
post Aug 3 2016, 05:39 PM
Post #2
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

David Coburn, the party's only elected representative north of the border is probably the most ridiculous loon of a politician north of the border. He blamed the EU for his inability to use a toaster.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Aug 3 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

It will depend entirely on how the exit from the EU is negotiated, if we retain some form of membership of the EAA and migration continues at the levels it has been since the early 2000s then I would assume UKIP will continue to gather strength, at the expense of the working class traditional Labour vote in the north (as well as the Essex and eastern coastal areas that tend to vote Tory). However, should the negotiation make a significant impact on immigration, and with a new and less charismatic leader then I would expect their support to collapse (it has already dropped from 16 to 12 percent after the referendum and no specific policy direction on the exit).

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 3 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Yes it all depends on immigration. Everyone shouting joyously expects immigration to stop and all problems to be solved by that.

That isn't going to happen.

There will be MORE problems, not less. The NHS is being quietly privatised and cut back as we speak, wages will be forced lower as there will be low-paid jobs to fill as EU workers don't get in, or else prices will rise due to that and wages generally won't in non-skilled jobs. As the UK is shite at training it's own citizens in much-needed fields, there will continue to be 150,000 - 200,000 immigrants a year even if the EU is totally blocked off. Industry demands it, foreign-owned businesses demand it, investors in the UK demand it.

So, yes, UKIP will still be around until such time as overall affluence returns to the UK. I'd put money on, ooh, 2035 or thereabouts. Prob around the time of the next referendum to apply for EU membership once the old Leavers have popped their clogs.

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Aug 3 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #5
3:23
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

UKIP is done; i’m fully expecting Nigel Farage to re-emerge, within the next 18 months, as the leader of a new populist, anti-establishment, environmentalist, anti-globalist & eurosceptic party along the lines of Italy’s Five Star Movement, backed by Banks and Murdoch, complete with asinine social media interaction influencing policy~

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Aug 12 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #6
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

Hello, I'm Mr Egaraf, and I come from... some place far away. Yes, that will do. Anyway, I say we make Nigel Farage leader of UKIP again.

Paul Nuttall - I like the way Egaraf thinks!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 25 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

And so the man who frothed at the mouth about Obama offering a sane, very short, statement about the dangers of Brexit has travelled over to the USA to campaign on behalf of a political candidate, and thus interfere in the politics of a foreign country.

What. A. Massive. f***ing. Hypocrite.

Meanwhile the party he has dumped is as headless as a chicken.

Still, at least Trumpfart & Fartage can reminisce together about the days they used to idolise Hitler. These days they have to lie about it. The Lying f***ers both showed more than a passing enthusiasm in Adolph, according to ex-wives, former teachers and schoolmates.

Just saying....

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Aug 27 2016, 08:10 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

And here is Hillary Clinton's response...

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 27 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Well good to see foreign politicians able to tell it like it is unlike the uk media who either support farage or are too frightened to be critical. Democracy and fairness took the whole of human history to turn up in any modern sense of the meaning, and being laissez faire about it is a sure way to lose it in the bat of an eye. Greedy and bitter people are always happy to believe any flim flam man that comes along....because they are basically suckers.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 16 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

As expected, Diane James has been named the new leader of UKIP.

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Sep 16 2016, 01:27 PM
Post #11
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Member No.: 10,596

We're going to be the last relevant party to have a full-time female leader. Christ.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Sep 16 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #12
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Sep 16 2016, 02:27 PM) *
We're going to be the last relevant party to have a full-time female leader. Christ.

Even at our lowest, still able to expend the last remains of our energy to shade the Lib Dems.

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Sep 16 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Sep 16 2016, 02:36 PM) *
Even at our lowest, still able to expend the last remains of our energy to shade the Lib Dems.

Always.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 16 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Sep 16 2016, 02:36 PM) *

The Lib Dems don't even have a female MP at the moment. OTOH, it may be a while before they're looking for a new leader, so there could be a woman in the next contest.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 17 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

And even at their lowest the Libdem supporters wouldn't feel the need to brick their female mps call them dykes and traitors or have their colleagues unaware they were undergoing cancer treatment.

Tch sooo wishy washy libdems! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Sep 17 2016, 11:14 PM
Post #16

Bit difficult when they're aren't any biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Danny
post Sep 18 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 457
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Sep 16 2016, 02:27 PM) *

I find it ironic that so many people who constantly claim Labour should be "in touch with the public's concerns", then go on and on about how it's essential to get a female party leader, even though that's approximately #578 on the public's list of reasons not to vote Labour.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 18 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #18
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

Meanwhile, new UKIP leader Diane James fails the "don't compare yourself to Putin" test -

So her ideal politician would be a combination of Thatcher, Churchill & Putin. So basically, Trump.

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Sep 18 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Danny @ Sep 18 2016, 03:44 PM) *
I find it ironic that so many people who constantly claim Labour should be "in touch with the public's concerns", then go on and on about how it's essential to get a female party leader, even though that's approximately #578 on the public's list of reasons not to vote Labour.

You do realise we're not a populist party, right?

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Sep 18 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #20
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Danny @ Sep 18 2016, 03:44 PM) *

If you ask the question directly, sure, because male-dominated commentary has persistently denigrated having more women in politics for the sake of it as irrelevant and so few people would agree with the proposition in plain writing of 'a woman over a man and change nothing else', without recognising that most women in practice fundamentally do politics and project themselves in a subtly different way.

Try reading Talking To A Brick Wall - in practice, it would probably have much more effect than most people (typically men) carp that it wouldn't. Having a woman as the lead representative of your party, without fail, captures the attention of half the population and makes them more likely to listen than they otherwise would, if only because someone of their gender being leader is not a norm most of them are used to. They're used to politics being self-important men in suits - even today, plenty of the older ones still instinctively think of politics as 'something the husband deals with' or 'not for them'.

In any case, most people in the Labour Party bemoaning the embarrassment that in 100 years we still have not had a single female leader despite having had plenty of female candidates better than most that did become leader are not doing so on the basis that we 'need to show we're in touch with the public'. They're doing so because it's a basic moral failing of the party that a female candidate for the leadership has never once finished above a male candidate for the leadership, let alone won. After a while, that stops being a coincidence and starts becoming a symbol of a party looking for excuses to not elect women.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:35 PM