BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HarryEzra Reviews, Third Review; Still Alice, released in 2014.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HarryBorelli
post Mar 21 2016, 01:18 AM
Post #1
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

I want to start a movie review thread where I give my reviews on movies both old and new.

Sometimes I will pick the movies, other times I want my fellow Buzzjackers to pick the movie for me biggrin.gif

It can be any genre I am not picky or good or bad either way It will hopefully be a entertaining read laugh.gif

For my first review I want you guys to pick the movie so leave a comment below and I will choose one to review first.

This post has been edited by HarryEzra: Jun 7 2016, 02:59 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 21 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #2
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Looking forward to this Harry!

I'd love a Joy review from the films above heart.gif

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 22 2016, 12:53 AM
Post #3
The Lady Said Go Home!

QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Mar 21 2016, 08:28 PM) *
Looking forward to this Harry!

I'd love a Joy review from the films above heart.gif

Not a bad choice ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Mar 22 2016, 02:01 AM
Post #4
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

How about ummm... 'The Lost Boys', dunno if u seen that one, but just give a little think about it.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 22 2016, 02:42 AM
Post #5
The Lady Said Go Home!

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Mar 22 2016, 02:01 AM) *
How about ummm... 'The Lost Boys', dunno if u seen that one, but just give a little think about it.

Ohhh My mum always says to watch that but never have watched it ohmy.gif Another contender ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 26 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #6
The Lady Said Go Home!

JOY (2015, David O'Russell)

'Biopic of entrepreneur Joy Mangano (Jennifer Lawrence), a divorced mother of two who risks her life's savings to produce and market her invention, the Miracle Mop. Joy faces opposition from her dysfunctional family, including her father Rudy (Robert De Niro), as they meddle in her burgeoning business. But when the head of the newly founded QVC network (Bradley Cooper) gives her a chance to sell her product on live TV, the Miracle Mop becomes a household name. The success of that invention later leads to a home-shopping empire and Joy's ascension to the matriarch of her extended family'.
-http://www.fandango.com/joy_183477/plotsummary

The film starts of with narration form Joy's Grandmother Mimi (portrayed by Diane Ladd) sets the story up and introduces the family and Joy's best friend Jackie (Portrayed by both Emily Nunez and Dascha Polanco as the younger and older version of Jackie respectively), Joy has always been a creative person, we see that from the beginning, so we the audience tell that is going to be seen throughout the movie.

We cut Joy in 1989 and she is now a divorced mother of two and divorced parents, who fight all the time when they are in the same room as each other. Joy fed up with working as a booking clerk Joy wants to make something of her life and her creations. She invents the 'Miracle Mop' and we see her struggle through the trials and tribulations of the business industry. From getting the money, to selling the product, from investing in QVC (with the Boss portrayed by Bradley Cooper) and her eventual downfall and rise to become a matriarch'.

Now on to the review part, The acting is outstanding especially from Jennifer Lawrence and Robert De Niro (Plays Joy's father) you can tell from their performances that Joy is a single mother who wants to make something out of her life for her children and you also have Robert De Niro who wants to way in on her business. If there is a scene that shows off both of their performances in their roles it has to be the scene where Joy finds out she has no choice but to declare for bankruptcy (due to her manufactures being frauds).

What also works well is how the characters interact with each other making it seem as realistic as possible. Take Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's characters in the movie they bounce of each other in a way no one else does in the movie, making their partnership work well with each other. Granted it helps they have acted with each other before such as in 'Sliver Linings Playbook' so it shows how well they can bounce of each other in scenes.

Add the cinematography and Mise-en Scene that also bring the film to life.

If I had to pick up on moments that I didn't like, l would say some moments was predictable take her selling the mop on QVC for the first time you knew she would get the calls eventually after the sudden pause for suspense. Another thing I would have liked more is if they used the narration more as it kind of disappeared in the movie and it was noticeable that it stopped, the narration worked really well especially at the beginning.

However, on the whole a really enjoyable film, I cant recommend it enough!

Joy gets; 4/5 stars

This post has been edited by HarryEzra: Mar 29 2016, 03:43 AM

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 28 2016, 11:45 PM
Post #7
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Fantastic review Harry and agree with a lot of what you said! Really wish it received way more love at the Oscars and I'd easily put it in my top three J-Law performances which really says something! heart.gif

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 29 2016, 03:46 AM
Post #8
The Lady Said Go Home!

QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Mar 29 2016, 12:45 AM) *
Fantastic review Harry and agree with a lot of what you said! Really wish it received way more love at the Oscars and I'd easily put it in my top three J-Law performances which really says something! heart.gif

Thank you for the comment I would easily say this is my fave Jenifer lawerence performance tbh heart.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Mar 29 2016, 07:53 AM
Post #9
c:
Member No.: 20,692

Great first review there, I've said already but I'm excited for the DVD to come out so I can watch it again for a third time.

If I ran the Oscars I'd have given it noms in
Best Picture
Best Actress
Best Director
Best Original Screenplay

At least and probably cinematography too because some shots were gorgeous, love the one of her walking with the snow and the bright lights in the studio shining in her as she turns around. Two of my favourite shots in movies last year!

My favourite Jennifer performance is still American Hustle though despite me not loving the film itself.

This post has been edited by jsilv: Mar 29 2016, 07:53 AM

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 29 2016, 09:24 AM
Post #10
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

I can't enjoy any DOR movie anymore after finding out what a bully he is, but I also can't get over J-Law being so miscast in one of his movies once again. In no way is she convincing as a single mother, she is far too young and imaature.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 29 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #11
The Lady Said Go Home!

QUOTE(jsilv @ Mar 29 2016, 08:53 AM) *
Great first review there, I've said already but I'm excited for the DVD to come out so I can watch it again for a third time.

If I ran the Oscars I'd have given it noms in
Best Picture
Best Actress
Best Director
Best Original Screenplay

At least and probably cinematography too because some shots were gorgeous, love the one of her walking with the snow and the bright lights in the studio shining in her as she turns around. Two of my favourite shots in movies last year!

My favourite Jennifer performance is still American Hustle though despite me not loving the film itself.

I completely agree there was some really gorgeous shots within this movie especially the two you have mentioned wub.gif

I would certainly give the movies all them noms if I ran the Oscars too

I want the DVD for this too and also for The Room two, two of my favourites from the last year :heart;

QUOTE(Regina @ Mar 29 2016, 10:24 AM) *
I can't enjoy any DOR movie anymore after finding out what a bully he is, but I also can't get over J-Law being so miscast in one of his movies once again. In no way is she convincing as a single mother, she is far too young and imaature.

I haven't heard the bullying rumours about DOR but tbh unless I have seen it myself (which I will not be actively going to find myself) I'm not going to let it tarnish his talent and I completely disagree just because she is young doesn't mean she cant player older and in this case a single mother, she suited the role well and it shone through that she was a single mother.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 29 2016, 11:45 AM
Post #12
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

There is video proof of him getting into a shouting match with Lily Tomlin and calling her a c**t. George Clooney is known to have punched him because of how he behaved and Amy Adams confirmed that he made her cry and feel miserable almost every day while filming American Hustle.

She looks and acts too young to be taken seriously as a single mother and someone who is supposed to be divroced etc. I think people just hype her just because it's her.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 29 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #13
The Lady Said Go Home!

QUOTE(Regina @ Mar 29 2016, 12:45 PM) *
There is video proof of him getting into a shouting match with Lily Tomlin and calling her a c**t. George Clooney is known to have punched him because of how he behaved and Amy Adams confirmed that he made her cry and feel miserable almost every day while filming American Hustle.

She looks and acts too young to be taken seriously as a single mother and someone who is supposed to be divroced etc. I think people just hype her just because it's her.

Well that does sound awful sad.gif Poor guys and gals sad.gif

I dont hype her because its 'her' I think she is honestly talented and is slowly becoming one of my favourite actresses in movies tbh

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Apr 8 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #14
The Lady Said Go Home!

Shaun Of The Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)

I thought why not do a review of my favourite of all time. Now I have always admired Simon Pegg (and Nick Frost too but Simon Pegg wub.gif) He is by far my favourite actor and as comedies is my favourite genres he works well in these roles (don't get me wrong he can do sci-fi, Action and Drama too). I first saw Hot Fuzz first which in itself is great, then I checked this one out which amazed me.

Two idiotic guys who decide to barricade in a pub during a zombie apocalypse, what more could go wrong. Saving Shaun's (Simon Pegg) mum, Shaun's girlfriend and her flatmates and Simons stepfather. They transcend to get their safe heaven aka the pub and 'wait till it all blows over'. However the issue with this plan is 1. Zombies 2. The group are not the closest of groups i.e. Shaun and David (Dylan Moran) are at war with each other as they both are in love with Liz (Kate Ashfield).

Now the film is dubbed as a 'Zombie Rom-Com'. So you get all the elements, great zombie action, love interests and comedy of course. All three shouldn't work but it does, normally in zombie films the love part can sort of be sub missed and often torn apart (sometimes quite literally) but the zombie element. However in this film you can see that Liz and Shaun both love each other and have a level of attraction towards each other. Even though they have differences (Shaun is portrayed as a idiotic man who has no life ambition whereas Liz wants him to grow up if they have any hope of becoming a couple). The issue is resolved at the end as Shaun becomes the dependable leader/hero.

The comedy for me is the best part, take the 'Zombie in the garden' scene. There choice of weapon (Records) and there constant snide comments to which ones they don't mind chucking at the zombie results in some classic British cinema comedy.

Overall I love it, the script is brilliant full of laughs throughout meaning you can watch it countless times and laugh your ass off each time. The setting, the characters complexity and their ability to be more human in the sense we see ourselves in a character. I think if you love this film and have not watched the other two in the 'Cornneto trilogy' you will love them too, Even though 'The Worlds end isnt on the same level as the others.

Best Scene: Queen Jukebox scene

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jun 7 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #15
The Lady Said Go Home!

Still Alice (Richard Glatzer & Wash Westmoreland, 2014)

Sorry for no updates since April Have not seen a lot of movies since I was busy doing my coursework instead. Now I have finished University for 1st Year I have been able to watch 3 movies so expect them all to appear in the next few days.

I choose to watch Still Alice one day when I was ill and I remember seeing praise from Movie buffs on this site from many posters in the movie forum so I gave it a go.

Still Alice is about the life of Alice Howland (portrayed by Julianne Moore) a Linguistics professor at Columbia university who is diagnosed with early familial Alzheimer's disease. The movie explores her life now with here family, her husband, her work and most importantly her life now with the condition. Being a more comedy man I have to say I really enjoyed this film. The script is fantastic, every scene we see a new side to this new part of Alice's life style. Whether that be her forgetting the person who is she is talking too is her daughter or from wanting her future self to end it all.

Not just the script but also I have to praise the performances of Juilanne more and Alec Baldwin who play husband and wife. Their chemistry is evident as a middle aged married couple is evident throughout the film. Even in separate films each of them shine on their own. Another quite surprisingly good performance was Kirsten Stewart. I could write easily how she is a bad actress in most of her films but these traits of her acting skills, the expressionless face and the difficulty to even say words really suit this type of character she is playing. She plays the youngest Daughter of the main characters, who is trying to make it as a actress, despite what her mum wants her to, which is to go collage like she did. Throughout the film I grow to like character more as she is relatable, in the sense that she wants to do what she wants in life despite what her parents want her do, which is something a lot of young adults feel like.

I also like the closeness of Alice's and Lydia's (Kirsten's character) close relationship throughout the film. A key scene of this was when she asked how the condition is, being one of only (I think) to ask that question. So the close mother-daughter bond is captured perfectly between the two.

My favourite scene overall was when Alice is looking for the bathroom, as she has forgotten where it is and ends up wetting herself, as a result. The heartbreaking moment for a character who could have easily gone to the bathroom before her diagnosis as made to look weak and scared that she can't even remember where her own bathroom is in her own house. Great scene to view as it captures a massively heartbreaking moment of the disease.

Overall I think I would give it 4/5 Stars as towards the end of the film I was expecting more, like I would have loved to have seen the disease progress further and how the family cope with it maybe.

I recommend it highly though.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Jun 7 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #16
c:
Member No.: 20,692

The bathroom scene was my favourite too, my heart literally shattered, just so heart-wrenching. That film really got to me and Julianne was fantastic!

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jun 7 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #17
The Lady Said Go Home!

QUOTE(Josh. @ Jun 7 2016, 07:46 PM) *
The bathroom scene was my favourite too, my heart literally shattered, just so heart-wrenching. That film really got to me and Julianne was fantastic!

It had a effect on me after I watched it too just do brilliantly done and she was fantastic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:51 PM