BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
58 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Coronavirus Part 4, The Final Chapter?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Oliver
post 16th September 2020, 10:36 PM
Post #1001
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Sep 16 2020, 11:28 PM) *
Where on earth did you book that asked for a 130 quid deposit??

laugh.gif Michelin star restaurant! We’ll it’s the total amount for two tasting menus but they asked for it up front as a deposit so I don’t have to pay anything when I get there.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 16th September 2020, 10:47 PM
Post #1002
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Is it really still a 'local lockdown' when it's in like 70% of the North, some of Wales and half of Scotland? Sounds like PR to me once again...

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 16th September 2020, 11:05 PM
Post #1003
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

If anyone wants to read something cheery, there is rumour going round that Witty has recommended a 2 week national lockdown.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 17th September 2020, 12:25 PM
Post #1004
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

This is just the start isn't it?! Ugh I'm dreading Winter and going to try and make the most of my freedom (whilst being safe etc) whilst I can 😭

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 17th September 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #1005
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

QUOTE(Miss J00ps @ Sep 16 2020, 08:41 PM) *
Did anyone know that 10k people die in the UK on any normal week?

Really puts the covid figures into perspective.

I hope we can all stop living in fear in a few months because it's incredibly mentally unhealthy.

Whilst I agree that the usual comparisons to March are not viable and there is a lot of room to live life, we don't want to end up in a situation similar to March. Those 10k deaths you speak of don't put a strain on hospitals in the way covid does if let roam free. Thats the biggest danger of it all.

I always think of Lombardy, New York and Madrid when I want to remind myself and others about the real dangers. Obviously I can't speak for the UK measurements as I am busy enough trynna keep tracknof the everchanging Belgian rules, but I can see why they're more catious than say The Netherlands (who are applying extra local measures only now after several big cities hit the treshold of 7 daily infections per 100k people for a few days).

It is not about the covidpatients alone anymore. It's about the economic "deaths", the healthcare workers we all applauded forand the other patients like cancer etc that need treatment as well.

What are the UK numbers like?

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 17th September 2020, 02:47 PM
Post #1006
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

#firstworldproblems

I’ve managed to change the booking to just me and Camden at no extra charge (unfortunate for Camden’s mam but that’s the lockdown eh), but I was on the phone and they’ve had to cancel the wine pairing as the monologue from the sommelier is too much of a transmission risk! cry.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 17th September 2020, 03:37 PM
Post #1007
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Sep 16 2020, 11:31 PM) *
Well this is very true, always find that people who own cars are ridiculously lazy and drive EVERYWHERE even to the end of the road to get a pint of milk. They also are very angry at anyone else who dares use the road such as cyclists.

Wish my wife would give her car up now that she has her free travel pass. 6 accidents in 5 years is well above average. rolleyes.gif Of course none were her fault. Those lamp posts and trees just moved towards her. rotf.gif

You're right, cars make you lazy but she says without it she couldn't go with her mates to the car boot sales every Sunday morning as they're in the countryside and they go at 6am. She could go on the tube to work.

Free travel passes make you lazy too as I'd often think before paying £1.50 on a bus and maybe walk.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: 17th September 2020, 03:42 PM

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 17th September 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #1008
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Though I can see the benefits of being car free, I don’t really like being labelled lazy just because I need a car to get myself and my marking and my gym gear and my food shopping from place to place.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 17th September 2020, 05:57 PM
Post #1009
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

What could possibly go wrong?

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 17th September 2020, 06:42 PM
Post #1010
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(T Boy @ Sep 17 2020, 06:52 PM) *
Though I can see the benefits of being car free, I don’t really like being labelled lazy just because I need a car to get myself and my marking and my gym gear and my food shopping from place to place.

Yeh fair enough, I was being OTT in my remark but I get it all the time from people when they hear I don’t drive. Many people do NEED a car for their jobs/kids and the like.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 17th September 2020, 07:07 PM
Post #1011
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I assume you live in a city or large town Steve? Where I grew up the public transport is poor, as it is for the majority of rural areas, and you are stranded without a car. Everyone i grew up with can drive because we all had a need to. I don't have a car for now, but plan on getting one in a year or so. I miss the independence it gives. For now I use a share car system, primarily the one that has an all e-Golf fleet so its all electric milage.

----

Cases in Germany have spiked again this week having plateaued for a fortnight or so. My district is back above the 25 cases per 100k for the last 7 days but there is absolutely no word from the city about restrictions. One of the districts came close to hitting 50 cases the other week and we got nowt. No, sorry, we have a new public information campaign about keeping your distance and wearing a mask. Intended to be humorous but isn't as good as anything the BVG, our version of TfL, have come out with. Policy here seems to be just tolerate it as long as it is only circulating in the under 50's and the 20-39 age bracket are accounting for the bulk of our new infections.

I guess I can sort of see their point though as only 1% of the ICU beds in the city have corona patients. We have one on ECMO and a handful on vents and then another handful in the ICU but not vented. Our hospitals have never been that overrun, Charité took patients from Spain, France and Italy at the peak earlier in the year and our version of the excel also got made into a hospital. Its still there and still hasn't been touched.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 17th September 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #1012
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Unfortunately the selfishness and idiocy of a few who don't follow social distancing and mask guidance ruins it for everyone else and leads to restrictions.

With the discussion about cars, I wonder has the Lounge covid community thread been officially closed and all coronavirus related discussion goes here? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 17th September 2020, 11:28 PM
Post #1013
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Quarantilas @ Sep 17 2020, 08:07 PM) *
I assume you live in a city or large town Steve? Where I grew up the public transport is poor, as it is for the majority of rural areas, and you are stranded without a car. Everyone i grew up with can drive because we all had a need to. I don't have a car for now, but plan on getting one in a year or so. I miss the independence it gives. For now I use a share car system, primarily the one that has an all e-Golf fleet so its all electric milage.
----
Cases in Germany have spiked again this week having plateaued for a fortnight or so. My district is back above the 25 cases per 100k for the last 7 days but there is absolutely no word from the city about restrictions. One of the districts came close to hitting 50 cases the other week and we got nowt. No, sorry, we have a new public information campaign about keeping your distance and wearing a mask. Intended to be humorous but isn't as good as anything the BVG, our version of TfL, have come out with. Policy here seems to be just tolerate it as long as it is only circulating in the under 50's and the 20-39 age bracket are accounting for the bulk of our new infections.

I guess I can sort of see their point though as only 1% of the ICU beds in the city have corona patients. We have one on ECMO and a handful on vents and then another handful in the ICU but not vented. Our hospitals have never been that overrun, Charité took patients from Spain, France and Italy at the peak earlier in the year and our version of the excel also got made into a hospital. Its still there and still hasn't been touched.

I was born in a small town in a largely rural area where nearly everyone drives but have lived in the city (or currently on its suburbs currently) since going to uni so have decent access to public transport but the public transport in ni isn’t great it’s just a bus service and trains only run between certain towns (being rudely honest between the majority unionist or Protestant towns in the east of NI)!

This post has been edited by Steve201: 17th September 2020, 11:28 PM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 18th September 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #1014
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Seeing loads of stories about 4 people in one household getting a test, 1 comes back positive.. the rest negative. Then a test next the day an different results. Not sure how true it all is? But I’m doubtful at how accurate a lot of tests actually are.. especially if they’re under pressure to turn the results around

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th September 2020, 05:00 PM
Post #1015
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Rooney @ Sep 18 2020, 05:34 PM) *
Seeing loads of stories about 4 people in one household getting a test, 1 comes back positive.. the rest negative. Then a test next the day an different results. Not sure how true it all is? But I’m doubtful at how accurate a lot of tests actually are.. especially if they’re under pressure to turn the results around

The test cannot detect the virus if someone has only just contracted it. That's why tests of arrivals at airports are only of limited use.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 19th September 2020, 10:14 AM
Post #1016
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Birmingham about to become ground zero for the next Corona wave.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 19th September 2020, 05:25 PM
Post #1017
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Ignore the comment, that graphic is stark. The variance between NI/Scotland and England/Wales is insane. The West Coast of Scotland is where the outbreak is so that’s no surprise that’s the best availability for tests. But the test availability looks solid. NHS Scotland seems to be doing a good job here (note NHS and not outsourced)

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 19th September 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #1018
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Supermarkets reported to have been very busy today due to nice weather. Supermarkets saw a BBQ rush. Tesco was set to sell 300,000 sausage packs, 250,000 ice creams and lollies and two to three million cans or bottles of beer, cider and wines, sales trends showed. Other supermarkets are reporting similar extra sales.

Hope everyone wore masks unless they're exempt.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: 19th September 2020, 05:41 PM

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 19th September 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #1019
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

It’s been so inconsistent in Wales we’ve had plenty of students and staff go for tests, some getting local appointments the next morning others being told they have to travel half the country for their nearest test centre.

Also people in England have been sent into Wales for their nearest centre. It’s all very ridiculous.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th September 2020, 07:03 PM
Post #1020
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Sep 19 2020, 06:39 PM) *
Supermarkets reported to have been very busy today due to nice weather. Supermarkets saw a BBQ rush. Tesco was set to sell 300,000 sausage packs, 250,000 ice creams and lollies and two to three million cans or bottles of beer, cider and wines, sales trends showed. Other supermarkets are reporting similar extra sales.

Hope everyone wore masks unless they're exempt.

They may take advantage as it could be the last warm weekend until April

+Quote this post

58 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:16 PM