BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> We have a new prime minister, Theresa May becomes 2nd female prime minister of the UK
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post Jul 13 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
So off the back of Brexit, Cameron officially steps down today and Theresa May will be the new prime minister.

The reaction in my family circle is basically 'she's the best of a bad lot'. I'm just thankful we don't have Johnson, Gove or that other woman in charge.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lotita
post Jul 13 2016, 12:04 PM
Post #2
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
As someone who would've voted for her, I'm absolutely delighted *.*

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jul 13 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
It was like choosing between an Uzi, an AK-47 and an MP15 as the weapon your executioner will use. You're still gonna be riddled with bullet holes at the end of the day.

She has a horrifying voting record. Truly terrifying. I do have genuine fears of what she will do as Prime Minister.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jul 13 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I'm not a political person and I don't know much about her but I'd say she was probably the best person for the job in the circumstances. The country is divided enough and I think having someone in charge who people generally don't seem to have strong opposing opinions about is best (like people seem to either really love or really hate the likes of Boris or Gove). She's said that brexit means brexit which is going to please the leave voters but, because she wanted to remain, it means that the other remainers may have more faith in the decisions she's making to take us out of the EU (like, they're not going to think "oh, she's just doing it for this negative reason or that negative reason", they'll be more inclined to think she's thought properly about it). That's my view on it anyway, of course, we'll just have to wait and see really.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Jul 13 2016, 12:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
I always thought Cameron was one of the better Tories can we have him back pls.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 13 2016, 12:30 PM
Post #6
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
At least Osborne will finally be out of the treasury.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jul 13 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Yes, Cameron doesn't seem so bad next to nearly every other Tory. May's got some dark things in her past just like the others, so I'll watch her closely but if she can sort us through this crisis period in a way that screws as few people as possible over, all's fair. However, I don't exactly have the confidence she'll do that nor do I think she is going to be anywhere near to a British Merkel as some people have been saying.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jul 13 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I think she's a solid leader at least, I'll leave her views out of it as with a Tory PM there's always going to be clashes. I'm trying to be optimistic in this time of political mess so when it could have been Johnson or Leadsom I thank god it was May laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Jul 13 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
She's the best of the candidates that were running and am hoping that she'll be able to please the leavers by triggering Article 50, whilst keeping the interest of the remainers during the negotiations (as she herself wanted to remain). I'm happy that May becoming PM went quite swiftly and happened sooner rather than later. She'll be a good negotiator, although her tactics will likely be questionable when it comes down to it. Either way, it's nice to have some political stability and the pound responded nicely - hopefully something we'll see more of as things become clearer over the next few months.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 13 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I'm with those that aren't massively enthusiastic about her but, given the other choices were a UKIP-esque nut job, a buffoon or Michael Gove, who all would doubtlessly have torn the party apart and divided the country further, are perfectly content with this. I think she just clearly knows what she's doing and at a time like now, that is really what we need to stay on track, and given she's a remainer, she will likely try her best to make sure we get the best post EU model and won't trigger Article 50 immediately, which is definitely what I care about.

May the force be with us all cool.gif (another good thing about her appointment is that pun can become a thing)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jul 13 2016, 05:18 PM

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jul 13 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
QUOTE(Harve @ Jul 13 2016, 01:27 PM) *
I always thought Cameron was one of the better Tories can we have him back pls.

I'm already missing thinking Cameron was bad. I clearly did not research other Tories enough. Come back Dave :'(

Theresa DOES seem to be the best out of the options we had though so that's at least a slight relief.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Jul 13 2016, 05:35 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
It could have been somebody far far worse so in that sense there's something to feel relieved about (and she's there until 2025 at least so we better get used to it*). If she actually sticks to and delivers the content of her acceptance speech then she won't be too bad, but of course I'm talking about a politician staying true to what they say so I think I know how that's going to go already.

*Scots among us notwithstanding

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 13 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #13
Group icon
A very encouraging first speech about social justice from Theresa - sounded like it was written by Ed Milliband ! Though we didn't get much from Cameron & Osborne so I hope she actually means it.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 13 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jul 13 2016, 06:36 PM) *
A very encouraging first speech about social justice from Theresa - sounded like it was written by Ed Milliband ! Though we didn't get much from Cameron & Osborne so I hope she actually means it.

Almost every Tory leader I can remember has started by sounding good on social justice. None of them have delivered on their promises. Perhaps May will be different, but I won't be holding my breath.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 13 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Well I'm too young to remember Maggie quoting from St Francis of Assisi, therefore I'm just about naive enough to believe it! tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jul 13 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #16
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
Well she was very good working on the Hillsborough justice campaign. More than can be said for previous Conservative & Labour governments.

Social justice on a large scale is a bit more difficult however.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 13 2016, 05:57 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 13 2016, 06:52 PM) *
Well she was very good working on the Hillsborough justice campaign. More than can be said for previous Conservative & Labour governments.

Social justice on a large scale is a bit more difficult however.

The Hillsborough enquiry was started by Andy Burnham under the last Labour government. Of course, that doesn't alter the fact that May's response was good.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 13 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jul 13 2016, 06:42 PM) *
Almost every Tory leader I can remember has started by sounding good on social justice. None of them have delivered on their promises. Perhaps May will be different, but I won't be holding my breath.

Me neither. She was the least worst option, but she wants to get rid of the Human Rights Act, and once said "and I'm not making this up, one criminal was allowed to stay because he had a cat".

She was making it up.

+Quote this post
bipolar angel
post Jul 14 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,494
i missed tipping point and the chase for that.

honestly not interested.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jul 14 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Out of the available options, she's the one I was most in favour of being PM so hooray for that. Congrats Theresa. Thank goodness we don't have Leadsom.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:50 PM