BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Enjoy Yourself ● 30 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Oct 15 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #21
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
For the 30 year anniversary of 'Enjoy Yourself', I'm re-posting my review for the album, enjoy dance.gif

Hand On Your Heart
Kicking off the album in the usual Kylie style with this fantastic lead single which further cemented Kylie at the very top of her game by gaining her 3rd well deserved chart topper. The drum beat rolls and showcases her more mature hip sound, and giving us something a lot more slick than what had gone before. Yet still poppy enough to appeal to appeal to the masses and PWL's target audience.

Wouldn't Change A Thing
This funky summery anthem is single #2, and a fantastic choice to follow the mega smash hit 'HOYH'. Great guitar on the backing track and some cool keyboards on the final chorus's as well as some fun drum machine effects going on, that therefore creates a perfect pop masterpiece and of course yet another well deserved big hit.

Never Too Late
Simple in its construction and executed wonderfully in this gloriously fun pop number that you gotta admit is perfectly catchy, with some glossy production and just all round fun, and follows the previous 2 singles perfectly and still to this day ranks as one of her most memorable singles.

Nothing To Lose
So many tracks on this album could have been singles and here's one of them, with a similar style to the previous tracks and Kylie's subdued vocals in each verse, then becomes more bold as the song goes on. A definite strong moment on this album.

Tell Tale Signs
After 4 upbeat pop anthems, we finally have a ballad and its really nice. With a definite 1930's classic feel to it, a sad little number where Kylie demonstrates the awesome range and power of her voice. a short but very sweet little number.

My Secret Heart
Another slow number that perhaps isn't quite as strong as the previous tracks that's come before, but Kylie's vocals sound really great here as once again gives it everything and pulls off some amazing chords, highlighting just how great a singer she really is.

I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)
The pace really picks up in a really big way, with this thumping number with a very deep bass and a definite more clubby feel to it, with just a hint of some disco in there. Definitely one of the best moments on here and gives us a little hint of what's to come on further albums.

Tears On My Pillow
Back to the ballads now with this cover of Little Anthony and The Imperials 1958 hit was for her debut movie ‘The Delinquents’. Once again her voice shines and the production doesn't stray too far away from the original, but still a rather beautiful sounding song.

Heaven And Earth
Probably the weakest moment on here that doesn't really do much for me to be honest. However we do have some more superb vocals and some soaring music and a long instrumental fade away.

Enjoy Yourself
Back to the dancefloor with this brilliant album closer that ends things on an almighty BANG!, the bass on this song is thumping and continuous with keyboard programming that builds and builds throughout the chorus and by the time the song come to its end, its completely infectious and a riot of sound, this perfectly sets up what's to come on further albums and why wasn't this a single, surely it would have been another huge chart smash and so much lost potential.

Plz guys tell me what do you think of my views...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Oct 15 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
I rarely enjoy and form of tribute act, and with me such a kylie fan, nothing but the real deal would work for me.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Oct 16 2019, 09:07 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Enjoy Yourself is a great pop record, a similar formula to her debut but there's a notable sense of growth and maturity. Kylie sounds more confident and is learning what her voice can do, as shown in the album's ballads, and I notice that Kylie's vocal isn't as pitched as it is on her debut. The upbeat pop songs are bigger and catchier and there's less of a divide between the singles and album tracks.

'Hand On Your Heart', 'Never Too Late' and 'I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)' would be my holy trinity from the album, although 'Nothing to Lose' and 'Enjoy Yourself' are highlights too.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Oct 16 2019, 09:24 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(Medellíam @ Oct 16 2019, 10:07 AM) *
'Hand On Your Heart', 'Never Too Late' and 'I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)' would be my holy trinity from the album, although 'Nothing to Lose' and 'Enjoy Yourself' are highlights too.

I'm in 100% agreement with this!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Oct 16 2019, 11:26 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Add enjoy yourself to that and I've the same holy trinity for the songs.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Oct 16 2019, 01:32 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
I would rank the songs in the following order:

01 Enjoy Yourself
02 "I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)
03 Never Too Late
04 Hand On Your Heart
05 Nothing To Lose
06 Wouldnt Change A Thing
07 Tears on my Pillow
08 My Secret Heart
09 Heaven and Earth
10 Tell Tale Signs

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Oct 17 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #27
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
My ranking off the 'Enjoy Yourself' album; dunno why so many people so down on 'Wouldn't Change A Thing', I personally find it fantastic & a perfect single choice, in-fact the first 3 singles from this era were pretty spot on in my opinion, definitely some of her best & strongest during this period.

Of course it would have been great if either the title track or 'I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)' saw a single release (both in a perfect world). Even though 'Tears On My Pillow' is pretty much maligned by fans, it still got her a UK #1 (must have been a slow week & gonna look at the chart for that week). Maybe if it was a double a-side with 'Enjoy Yourself' then it could have had a long chart run than just 8 weeks & that would have been a more fitting end to that era.

Anyway here goes =

1. Never Too Late
2. Hand On Your Heart
3. Wouldn't Change A Thing
4. Enjoy Yourself
5. I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)
6. Nothing To Lose
7. Tell Tale Signs
8. Tears On My Pillow
9. My Secret Heart
10. Heaven And Earth

+Quote this post
pippa
post Oct 17 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
A Tears on my Pillow double a sided with Enjoy Yourself or Im Over Dreaming Over You would have been a strong option and may possible have increased the chart run of Tears on my Pillow.
It would be wonderful to see the lead Tears on my Pillow had the week it achieved Number 1 status.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Oct 18 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(SamJudd @ Oct 17 2019, 01:59 PM) *
Of course it would have been great if either the title track or 'I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)' saw a single release (both in a perfect world). Even though 'Tears On My Pillow' is pretty much maligned by fans, it still got her a UK #1 (must have been a slow week & gonna look at the chart for that week). Maybe if it was a double a-side with 'Enjoy Yourself' then it could have had a long chart run than just 8 weeks & that would have been a more fitting end to that era.

I think being released in January, a notoriously quiet period for releases helped, plus it was lucky that 'Nothing Compare 2 U' didn't make #1 until the following week as nothing was going to topple that.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Oct 18 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Nothing Compares 2U was a huge hit so the timing of Tears on my Pillow was correct.
The timing was wrong on so many times with other Kylie singles which resulted in a large selection of Number 2 hits.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Oct 18 2019, 06:49 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I used to hate the weeks kylie would be number 2 purely dusspooinr3d she wasnt number 1.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Oct 18 2019, 07:34 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
01 I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)
02 Enjoy Yourself
03 Never Too Late
04 Nothing To Lose
05 Hand On Your Heart
06 Wouldnt Change A Thing

07 Tears on my Pillow
08 Heaven and Earth
09 My Secret Heart
10 Tell Tale Signs

+Quote this post
pippa
post Oct 19 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Nothing to Lose is such an enjoyable song but i would not rate it above Hand on Your Heart.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Oct 19 2019, 02:02 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I'm big into live music and hand in your heart never clicks with me live for some reason and I rank it lower because of that.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Oct 23 2019, 06:41 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
As a studio song, and song in general Hand on Your Heart is much stronger, but, Nothing To Lose is a very good track.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post Oct 23 2019, 09:21 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392
A much more mature album, as has been said.

I remember my sister playing it for the first time (on vinyl) back in 1989...the ballads really stood out because at that point the three singles were all upbeat. I guess they could have released Enjoy Yourself or I’m Over Dreaming as a 5th but by May 90 we had BTDYK (with I’m Over Dreaming Remix) as the B Side. How weird that they moved on from the album campaign so quickly. They could have sold much more copies.

WCAT was a great move In 1989, she looked much more assured and polished on the video and tv promo. On reflection though it is not as lasting a single as HOYH and NTL. Both are classic early Kylie.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Oct 23 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Enjoy yourself sold big quickly so the campaign was more rushed,if re releases were a thing back then this was an album that could have done huge.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Oct 24 2019, 02:12 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
PWL were not the best at having any left over material from albums.
Had a repackage occurred in those days, brand new songs would have been recorded.
It is surprising PWL didnt cotton on to repackages as they were sharp when they were a label with big force on the market.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post Oct 24 2019, 06:12 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392
I think they could have delayed the release of Devil to July/ August. There was too long a gap to SBIT, which at the time wasn’t strong enough to sell Rhythm of Love.

This post has been edited by aeroco: Oct 24 2019, 06:16 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post Oct 24 2019, 06:55 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Step Back in Time is a truly strong song and its surprising, that then, it wasn't viewed as strong to sell the album.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:52 PM