BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Stupid Girls in 2019, Has the outlook changed?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post 15th September 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Any excuse to post this video laugh.gif

I was listening to my I’m Not Dead vinyl this morning and it struck me that attitudes about this song may have changed 13 years on. Back in 2006 it got a lot of praise, even from author JK Rowling, that it had a positive message for young girls, encouraging them to better themselves and not settle on existing just for the purposes of men. I still believe that this is what the song represents and I think Pink is an amazing role model for young girls but I’m wondering if society in general may have changed its view?

Is is unnecessarily bashing a certain type of woman? Is it actually anti feminist rather than pro?

Seeing some of the young girls I teach, I can’t help but feel like this will always be an issue and that the social media age is making growing up even more difficult for young girls.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 18th September 2019, 01:24 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Interesting post.

I feel this video is actually more relevant now than it was then in some ways.

When this video was made Instagram didn’t exist, social media wasn’t very big and a certain family weren’t very well known either, also the “fake” kind of look wasn’t really a thing then anyways so it kind of would feel very relevant now but would probably come with a bigger backlash now too perhaps.

It’s probably very hard to be a female in 2019 and many young girls are the stereotype to what she plays in this song (as many as what are the opposite too though) it could certainly make for debate.

It’s one of her worst songs for me tbh probably only You Make Me Sick I’d say I like less out of every single she’s released but the video is very fun. The only thing in the video I don’t like is the scene where she makes herself sick with the back of her toothbrush I think that scene in 2019 would cause great offence tbh.

But I can see what she stands for in the song and video. It’s aged well and I’d probably say that video was actually ahead of its time.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: 18th September 2019, 01:26 AM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 25th September 2019, 02:37 AM
Post #3
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I think its aged ok if you take the 'stupid girl' that she doesn't want to be as an imaginary figure, rather than an actual kind of person.

Tbh I think I always took it that way anyway. Rather than "I don't want to be a stupid girl (like some girls in my class)", "I don't want to be a stupid girl (because that kind of person doesn't get far and has a sad life - no-one should want that)".

Actually looking at the video now and seeing the celebrities that were taken shots at is interesting too - given that some people like Paris Hilton etc. have since come out and said that the version of them that they played on reality tv was a deliberate character to play up to what the media narrative wanted. Not to get all essay on it, but perhaps Pink is saying that that stupid girl image or behaviour is fake, and that you shouldn't do it earnestly. Not to be taken in by how some celebrities seem to act. Which might be influenced by her early experiences when the label tried to make her into a cookie cutter popstar.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 25th September 2019, 08:51 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

It's a feminist bop. It tackles the vapid photo, image-first culture, and demands more from women than turning themselves into sex objects for the male gaze. Of course, feminism is aboot letting women emancipate themselves however they want, but Pink isn't saying they can't. She's just saying they're as capable as men and shouldn't degrade themselves and focus on image and instead focus on substance. This is an even more important lesson now with insta, facebook and "pics?" culture. The message is clear: self-worth doesn't come from looks, but from accomplishments.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 25th September 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #5
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(Algernon Monqueef @ Sep 25 2019, 11:51 AM) *
It's a feminist bop. It tackles the vapid photo, image-first culture, and demands more from women than turning themselves into sex objects for the male gaze. Of course, feminism is aboot letting women emancipate themselves however they want, but Pink isn't saying they can't. She's just saying they're as capable as men and shouldn't degrade themselves and focus on image and instead focus on substance. This is an even more important lesson now with insta, facebook and "pics?" culture. The message is clear: self-worth doesn't come from looks, but from accomplishments.

true Pink stan <3

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 29th September 2019, 04:13 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

I’m glad it’s not just me who still appreciates the message of this song.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 06:24 AM