BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Finding Neverland musical, Gary writing the musical score
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
milly
post 24th April 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,540

I haven't heard the songs in Cabaret, but I can definitely say that the FN songs are more than just lightweight pop. When Your Feet DTTG is actually pretty dark and heavy, so is All That Matters; other songs, like Hook, are fun and witty, which can't be achieved through a lack of substance.
But I don't expect you to admit they're meaningful and substantial. Your sarcasm tells me you're having fun belittling the score.

If that's your opinion, fine. I and many others (amongst which Helen Mirren and many theatre goers, actors, producers, etc) take pleasure in this superficial music.
It certainly is more enjoyable than 3/4 of what I heard at the Tonys last year.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Kath
post 24th April 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980

QUOTE(milly @ Apr 24 2015, 06:29 PM) *
I haven't heard the songs in Cabaret, but I can definitely say that the FN songs are more than just lightweight pop. When Your Feet DTTG is actually pretty dark and heavy, so is All That Matters; other songs, like Hook, are fun and witty, which can't be achieved through a lack of substance.
But I don't expect you to admit they're meaningful and substantial. Your sarcasm tells me you're having fun belittling the score.

If that's your opinion, fine. I and many others (amongst which Helen Mirren and many theatre goers, actors, producers, etc) take pleasure in this superficial music.
It certainly is more enjoyable than 3/4 of what I heard at the Tonys last year.

To be honest Milly (with the exception of perhaps three or four) I HATE all musicals! They're just not my thing. For me to like a musical I have to either like ALL of the songs without exception - or for the film (or play) to be a fabulous story in its own right (The Producers, Singin' In The Rain). Give me a good old fashioned scary movie any day of the week It doesn't help that I'm one of the few people who just don't get the whole Peter Pan thing (I hated reading the thing to my son when he was little) I just find the whole thing totally boring. Oddly enough I like a lot of the people involved in the Broadway musical (Weinstein, Kelsey Grammer, Bryan Cranston) so I'm glad its going to be a success for their sakes.

This post has been edited by Kath: 24th April 2015, 08:19 PM

+Quote this post
jay727
post 24th April 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273

QUOTE(Kath @ Apr 23 2015, 09:52 PM) *
I think critics like the song content of their musicals to be (for want of better words) 'heavy and substantial' they don't like lightweight/fluffy/nonsense songs (pop songs I suppose), they like the musical and lyrical content to really tie in with the story as a whole and not just be 'incidental' (which is what I think they believe the Kennedy/Barlow songs to be). I agree in a sense - but in another - I think its a bit snobby. If Eliot and Gary's songs are a bit forgettable and throwaway - so what - they are apt for the time. Hey - we've long gone past those heady days of the 'true' musical (The King and I, Sound of Music, South Pacific) - musicals have moved on as have their audiences (some may say for the worse) but they have moved on. We don't have time to register and cogitate a deep and meaningful score anymore - and why should we? These are throwaway times as is our art it appears.

Anyway - I think the critics have done the show a favour with their bad reviews - we all love to prove a critic wrong.

I love to agree with Kath. And I agree with every word here, very valid points

+Quote this post
milly
post 25th April 2015, 12:34 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

You mentioned The Sound of Music as a true musical. When it first appeared, it was heavily criticized, just like FN. And, as much as I love TSOM, I find the FN score much more inspired.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 26th April 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(milly @ Apr 25 2015, 01:34 AM) *
You mentioned The Sound of Music as a true musical. When it first appeared, it was heavily criticized, just like FN. And, as much as I love TSOM, I find the FN score much more inspired.

Well you want your ears testing!

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 26th April 2015, 07:48 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,635

SOM is in the same vein as FN though. The SOM score is obviously much stronger and the songs far catchy - but I can see where Milly is coming from in that both scores have a light weight feel to them and a wide appeal.

I 've listened to some of the front runners for the Tony awards and I don't like them one bit. Yes, musicals like Fun Home are forward thinking, challenging, and broaden the scope of what people understand by a musical, but are they entertaining? The Fun Home song may be cleverly constructed but I think they're awful; I can't stand them. So, this goes to show how subjective art is, and always will be.

I think it's a given that FN will be edged out at the Tony's. The question now is will it survive the departure of its big names? A long and successful run on Broadway and in the West End will off set the critical mauling it's received . Not what HW wanted, but I think he'll have to settle for it. As for Gary and Eliot, who knows what impact it will have on their song writing career on Broadway? I doubt anyone in the US will be that keen to collaborate with them given the critics view of their output and it will be interesting to see the response to the Calendar Girls musical in the UK.

+Quote this post
milly
post 29th April 2015, 04:26 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

No surprise there, no nomination for FN at the Tonys.
Even without the bad reviews, the musical would have never got a nomination, simply because they wouldn't have allowed Harvey Weinstein to steal their awards.
It's their loss at the end of the day.
FN is the nd most sold musical on Broadway, yet they're gonna award some shows that are probably gonna close in short time due to very poor sales.
I guess those shows need some consolation prizes, at the end of the day tongue.gif

+Quote this post
iamstrong
post 29th April 2015, 03:55 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 20,036

Finding Neverland concept album tracklist (according to Amazon.de)

1.) "Neverland" by Zendaya
2.) "Stronger" by Kiesza
3.) "Believe" by Nick Jonas
4.) "When Your Feet Don't Touch The Ground" by Ellie Goulding
5.) "Circus Of Your Mind" by Paloma Faith
6.) "What You Mean To Me" by Jennifer Lopez & Trey Songz
7.) "Are We Gonna Play?" by Rita Ora & Sage The Gemini
8.) "Anywhere But Here" by Christina Aguilera
9.) "Beautiful Day" by Jon Bon Jovi
10.) "Stars" by Pentatonix
11.) "My Imaginiation" by John Legend
12.) "Something About This Night" by Gary Barlow
13.) "We Own The Night" by Matthew Morrison
14.) "All That Matters" by Christina Perri
15.) If The World Turned Upside Down by Goo Goo Dolls

+Quote this post
milly
post 29th April 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I'm really not happy that Ellie gets to sing WYFDTTG. Her voice is very weak and limited and not suited at all for the song. no.gif
I have no idea who Zendaya, Kiezsa and Nick Jonas are and, tbh, I can't be bothered to google them now.
I just hope they have good voices and won't mess up the songs.

If you want to hear some of the songs sung by the cast, go here: http://mockingjaytay13.tumblr.com/

This post has been edited by milly: 29th April 2015, 04:32 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post 29th April 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Is there a release date for the soundtrack?

+Quote this post
jay727
post 29th April 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

What a poor choice. Ellie Golding singing Gary's song? Ridiculous. Her voice cannot carry two male characters singing at that intensity

+Quote this post
iamstrong
post 29th April 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 20,036

QUOTE(pippa @ Apr 29 2015, 01:58 PM) *
Is there a release date for the soundtrack?

June 9th

+Quote this post
milly
post 1st May 2015, 06:11 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

You can listen here to Kiesza's version of Stronger. Surprisingly, I like it.
http://www.pmstudio.com/music/music.html?page=20150501-1700

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 1st May 2015, 07:38 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Thanks for the link, Milly. Slightly over produced in my view but I do like the interpretation of the song and it's actually better than I expected.

I wonder why Jessie J's version was binned?

+Quote this post
milly
post 1st May 2015, 10:23 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I imagine they'll keep it simpler and cleaner on the cast album.
I was used to Stronger being sung by a male voice - just like WYFDTTG -, but I'm glad it's not the disaster I was expecting.

I have no idea why all the changes - Jessie J, Emeli Sande - but it's probably the reason for the album's delay. It's hard to believe the producers opted to let go Jessie J and ES; it was probably their choice not to get involved in this project, although I don't understand why, since Jessie J's career isn't doing so well at the moment and any promo would have helped her.

She tweeted this earlier:
Jessie J@JessieJ
I had the absolute joy of watching Finding Neverland on Broadway tonight. I was not only blown away by the cast and the show and the music. Kelsey Grammer was amazing and my insanely talented friend Laura Michelle Kelly who played my sister 16 years ago in Whistle down the wind. So amazing to see her! And hear her sing like an angel once again. She blew me away. Go and seeeee it if you can. https://instagram.com/p/2IA1yBw0UR/

I'm curious about JLo's version of ATM. She's not exactly famous for her vocals, while Laura Michelle Kelly has a very beautiful, crystalline voice, so one has to wonder if the cover won't go downhill. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, because I love all the songs I've heard and I want this album to do well.

This post has been edited by milly: 1st May 2015, 12:44 PM

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 1st May 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

If I was to buy the album is would be the cast one. Your right LMK has a wonderful voice and I've been impressed by Matthew Morrison, although I still prefer Jeremy Jordan in the lead role.

+Quote this post
milly
post 1st May 2015, 03:50 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I'd choose the cast one too, but the concept album has Gary on it, so for that reason only, I chose this one. I'm soooo weak when it comes to Gary tongue.gif

+Quote this post
milly
post 12th May 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

In case you haven't heard snippets from the concept album:http://findingneverlandthemusical.com/music/

I can't make up my mind based on these snippets. This is the 1st time I've heard We Own the Night and I think it was love at first hearing.
Major, major disappointment for When Your Feet DTTG - the biggest disappointment actually, Neverland, What You Mean to Me, Believe.

Inclined to believe I'll like a lot Paloma Faith's version of Circus of Your Own Mind.
Undecided about Pentatonix, John Legend and Goo Goo Dolls.

I had hoped Gary would save a better song for himself, to be honest. I like this one as well, but I'd have preferred him on a ballad.

If I hadn't heard some of these songs before, I don't know if I'd love them again in the form they're being presented now sad.gif
Whoever thought that Jennifer Lopez and Nick Jonas were a good idea? sad.gif

+Quote this post
Kath
post 12th May 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

This'll put a smile on your face!

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/180788/findin...-choice-awards/

+Quote this post
jay727
post 13th May 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Thanks for sharing Kath.

Listening to the previews, i LOVE Gary's song! Finding neverland, stronger and believe all sound great too!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 12:04 PM