BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Esio Trot (TV movie), BBC1 adaptation of Roald Dahl book
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Nov 21 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

The centrepiece of this year's BBC One Christmas schedule (or at least, one of them anyway) is the TV movie adaptation of Roald Dahl's book 'Esio Trot'. Dustin Hoffman and Dame Judi Dench starring as Mr Hoppy and Mrs Silver, James Corden and Ricky Gervais also appearing. Screenplay by Richard Curtis and Paul Mayhew-Archer (of 'The Vicar of Dibley' writing fame).

I loved reading 'Esio Trot' as a kid and I always thought it was the lesser remembered of Roald Dahl's books so I can't wait to see this.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Nov 21 2014, 02:45 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jan 2 2015, 01:05 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

So did anyone manage to see this last night? Was brilliant, I thought, particularly Dustin Hoffman as Mr Hoppy, really made the part his own. James Corden came in for a bit of stick because of his narration and the fact another character was added (his rival in love, Mr Pringle) into the script by Richard Curtis but given you can get the book read in half an hour tops I can see why it was padded out for the hour and a half.

They did it justice I felt. Judi Dench's performance of it rather reminded me of her 'As Time Goes By' days (that was a brilliant show, wasn't it?). Definitely watch on iPlayer if you missed it I say.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jan 2 2015, 02:01 PM
Post #3
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I thought this was excellent, the coupling of this and the final Miranda was a perfect evening of television for me. I thought all concerned did a great job and I don't get the bad opinions on James Cordon's narrating either, I thought his style complemented the tone of the show yet provided something else to focus on - I suspect the program wouldn't have worked half as well without it as whilst Dench/Hoffman etc were incredibly charming, the generally leisurely pace did need breaking up to fill 90 minutes.

+Quote Post
inactiveaccount
post Jan 6 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

James Cordon needs to stop.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jan 7 2015, 09:49 AM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

DVD out 30th March, for anyone so interested: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roald-Dahls-Esio-T...D/dp/B00R4GBZNE

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Jan 18 2015, 10:37 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

i eventually saw it!. (yay), and loved it too.

very heartwarming

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:38 PM