BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Liam's EOY 2018, Top 40 albums, top 200 singles
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 3 2019, 03:32 PM
Post #41
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I was always surprised Stay was never properly pushed, when I heard it as a 'contender' after the chart show I didn't catch who it was and would never have guessed Post! It was great to see Y&Y get a hit from this album but they have done much better than this before for me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 6 2019, 01:13 AM
Post #42
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,139

QUOTE(Petivity @ Jan 3 2019, 03:32 PM) *
I was always surprised Stay was never properly pushed, when I heard it as a 'contender' after the chart show I didn't catch who it was and would never have guessed Post! It was great to see Y&Y get a hit from this album but they have done much better than this before for me.

I guess it won't be now as Wow seems to be for a new album, it would've fab to see it pushed sad.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 6 2019, 01:49 AM
Post #43
Brown cow, stunning!

180 Lady Gaga - Look What I Found
179 Pojkarna ft. Flickan - Fangad av en stormvind
178 Tamar Kaprelian - Poison (Ari, Ari)
177 Robinson - Nothing To Regret
176 Aitana & Ana Guerra - Lo malo
175 Ricki-Lee - Unbothered
174 Panic! At The Disco - Roaring 20s
173 Jax Jones ft. Ina Wroldsen - Breathe
172 One Bit ft. Noah Cyrus - My Way
171 Shanguy - La Louze

Look What I Found is the first Gaga entry here, and it's a sassy slightly soulful midtempo track that kind of evokes of that late 00s soul-pop craze while still feeling really authentically raw Gaga, befitting the whole vibe she has going as Ally.
Fangad av en stormvind takes a really familar track (in this case, the 1990 Eurovision winning track from Carola) and turns it on its head. It's very Spotify filler but it's so fun and summery, think Kamferdrops reworking of Jag trodde änglarna fanns on a summer holiday.
Poison (Ari, Ari) is another Eurovision adjacent track, this time one that was utterly ROBBED in Armenia's Eurovision selection, not even making it out of the semi final! This is how you do ethno-pop, it's got a contemporary edge too that makes it catchy and memorable. Armenia did this so dirty smh.
Nothing To Regret is the first of my BJSC entries to appear! This was an instant hit for me, such an easy listen that's effortlessly melodic and just glides around your head as you listen.
Lo malo is yet another robbed bop from national final season, this time from Spain. By choosing a dull ass High School Musical reject ballad because of the relationship between the singers, Spain lost this bona fide hit, totally on trend that would surely have done super well, it could easily be an actual chart hit.
Unbothered was finally a new track from Ricki-Lee, a year after the pretty disappointing Not Too Late. This is only 2:30 long, but it packs so much sass and attitude into that short time and is a full on mood going into 2019 - don't let people keep you lingering on shit that has already happened!
Roaring 20s is one of the highlights of Pray For The Weekend, hopefully a future single! It has a bit of a jazzy 20s vibe to the new Panic sound that makes the album such a hit.
Breathe was a hit early in the year and it's easy to see why - one of the best dance tracks of the year! The da da dum parts are so catchy and the vocals are so icy cool that they really fit the song.
My Way was not a hit but really should have been! Th funky disco vibes and Mylo sample are so so good and Noah Cyrus, who I can't take to really, sounds so so good and really in her element.
La Louze rounds off this section, I got real BJSC entry envy with this. Foreign pop is a sure way to my heart, this has got a bit of a house-y vibe, the brass in the chorus is really distincitve.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 6 2019, 04:53 PM
Post #44
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Hey Liam biggrin.gif My favourites so far:

198 Little Mix - Motivate
197 Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off
196 Jennifer Lopez ft. DJ Khaled & Cardi B - Dinero This is sooooo addictive, DJ Khaled and Cardi B on one song was something I desperately wanted in 2018 laugh.gif
195 Ziv Zaifman - A Million Dreams
192 Bebe Rexha - Ferrari
191 Ellie Goulding & Diplo ft. Swae Lee - Close To Me
189 Marshmello ft. Anne-Marie - FRIENDS
187 Rina Sawamaya - Cherry
185 Sigrid - Sucker Punch
184 Years & Years - If You're Over Me
182 Post Malone - Stay
181 BTS - Idol I actually love the Nicki version of this (as much as I don't want to admit it xx) but the song as a whole really grew on me with repeated listens!
176 Aitana & Ana Guerra - Lo malo wub.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 7 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #45
   No Gallery Pics

I remember at the time you saying how much you liked La Louze, it's an amazing dance track and I'm still surprised at how well it did music.gif Didn't make my EOY but if I had heard it now it would probably have made it as I still love it. Breathe was a great track from the start of the year, I prefer it to both the songs that came after it.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 8 2019, 01:37 AM
Post #46
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jan 6 2019, 04:53 PM) *
Hey Liam biggrin.gif My favourites so far:

198 Little Mix - Motivate
197 Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off
196 Jennifer Lopez ft. DJ Khaled & Cardi B - Dinero This is sooooo addictive, DJ Khaled and Cardi B on one song was something I desperately wanted in 2018 laugh.gif
195 Ziv Zaifman - A Million Dreams
192 Bebe Rexha - Ferrari
191 Ellie Goulding & Diplo ft. Swae Lee - Close To Me
189 Marshmello ft. Anne-Marie - FRIENDS
187 Rina Sawamaya - Cherry
185 Sigrid - Sucker Punch
184 Years & Years - If You're Over Me
182 Post Malone - Stay
181 BTS - Idol I actually love the Nicki version of this (as much as I don't want to admit it xx) but the song as a whole really grew on me with repeated listens!
176 Aitana & Ana Guerra - Lo malo wub.gif

Omg flop Cardi fan xx

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 7 2019, 09:55 PM) *
I remember at the time you saying how much you liked La Louze, it's an amazing dance track and I'm still surprised at how well it did music.gif Didn't make my EOY but if I had heard it now it would probably have made it as I still love it. Breathe was a great track from the start of the year, I prefer it to both the songs that came after it.

Definitely your best entry wub.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 8 2019, 01:54 AM
Post #47
Brown cow, stunning!

170 M.O. ft. Lotto Boyz – Bad Vibe
169 Jess Glynne – I’ll Be There
168 Little Mix – Forget You Not
167 Khalid & Normani – Love Lies
166 Kelly Clarkson - Never Enough
165 Janet Jackson - Made For Now
164 Shawn Mendes - Where Were You In The Morning?
163 Kacey Musgraves - Space Cowboy
162 M-22 ft. Medina - First Time
161 Janelle Monae ft. Zoe Kravitz - Screwed

Bad Vibe was quite the surprise hit, I thought the girls would vanish after taking so long to follow up Not In Love! This was bang on trend without being too try-hard, it had that effortlessly summery vibe so it's no wonder it stuck around so long.
I'll Be There is the only entry from Jess, I give her a fair share of hate and she is awful as an artist but this is a lovely little bop, so hooky and easy to listen to, I can't help but let it into my affections.
Forget You Not is one of the highlights of LM5, a bop that feels quite early 10s with its DJ Mustard esque urban club ready production *.* It'd be a great future single, although that's unlikely as it somehow missed the standard edition of the album and is a deluxe bonus!!
Love Lies was a big hit for Khalid and Normani, leaving Normani with a lot of momentum for a solo career which seemed to go nowhere judging by how her Calvin Harris EP flopped oops x Released for Love Simon, this track is so smooth and sensual, something that plays to both their strengths.
Never Enough is one of the best movie songs of recent songs, and of course Kelly Clarkson covering it can never be bad! I found that the slight production changes took some getting used to, but they make it a version that sets itself apart from the original an brings something different out of it.
Made For Now's afrobeat and dancehall influences make it bang on trend, a perfect end of summer bop from Janet and should've been a huge hit. I have no idea what Daddy Yankee's rap is saying but it always gets stuck in my head laugh.gif
Where Were You In The Morning is so effortlessly smooth and sexy, Shawn in song form tbh xx His voice is perfect for a song like this, the bluesy melancholy tone is a MOOD.
Space Cowboy is the first track to appear from my album of the year, Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves. I remember being disappointed by this and thinking the era might be a bit shit at first ohmy.gif It's a beautifully understated and raw track though that really got into my heart <3
First Time is a great example of how to do a generic chart dance song *.* Medina is usually so good so that helps, but I love the production on this.
Screwed rounds off this section in a very politcal way. A song that makes a statement, this is super catchy on the surface but deeper down, it toys with the idea that "everything is about sex, except sex, which is about power".

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 8 2019, 05:28 AM
Post #48
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

M.O finally getting another hit was amazing to see, 'Bad Vibe' was so much fun to listen to and never got old either!

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 8 2019, 06:07 AM
Post #49
rip in peace Dickston
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Robinson! A great little pop song that managed to be an actual official hit over here that I tried to enter into BJSC like a month after you did laugh.gif

Unbothered is such a bop *.* I've heard this on the radio loads of times but never knew what it was

Also very glad to see Roaring 20's here wub.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 10 2019, 01:28 PM
Post #50
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Riser @ Jan 8 2019, 05:28 AM) *
M.O finally getting another hit was amazing to see, 'Bad Vibe' was so much fun to listen to and never got old either!

Shame they most likely be getting another after what happened with Nadine drama.gif

QUOTE(DexTheHalls @ Jan 8 2019, 06:07 AM) *
Robinson! A great little pop song that managed to be an actual official hit over here that I tried to enter into BJSC like a month after you did laugh.gif

Unbothered is such a bop *.* I've heard this on the radio loads of times but never knew what it was

Also very glad to see Roaring 20's here wub.gif

Yass, I didn't know it charted *.*
Omg she actually gets airplay?! I thought she was totally ignored given what a flop it's been but I guess people just don't care anyway laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 13 2019, 03:38 AM
Post #51
Brown cow, stunning!

Bit of a dump in this post bc I just want to get to top 100 laugh.gif

160 Lily Allen - Lost My Mind
159 Little Mix - The Cure
158 Selena Gomez - Back To You
157 Bebe Rexha - I'm A Mess
156 Reinada - All The Feels
155 Lauren Daigle - You Say
154 Dotter - Cry
153 Ciara - Level Up
152 Jade Bird - Uh Huh
151 Janelle Monae - Americans

Lost My Mind is my highlight of the recent Lily album, it does the whole tropical on trend thing really well without losing the meaning of the song. In fact, I think the fact that it on the surface sounds like a throwaway tropical pop song just highlights the lyrics and emotional punch when you listen properly!
The Cure is a great empowering pop song, LM at their best *.* It lets the melody and vocals do the talking and they're two things the girls are super strong at <3
Back To You definitely took a while with me, I don't know why but it just didn't do anything for me at first! As always with Selena thoguh, it soon grabbed me even if it does feel like a lesser It Ain't Me.
I'm A Mess shows that, despite all the shit she comes up with and mess/drama she starts, Bebe knows how to write a bloody good pop song. The Meredith Brooks sample is brilliant, her voice really suits this kind of thing too as its distinctive enough to sell a radio ready pop song in a way that makes it stand out from the crowd.
All The Feels is a Melfest track, a bit of a surprise hit that will be remembered for a technical hitch that meant she had to perform again in the final. It's a banger that gets you up dancing - YOU GIVE MEHHHHHHHHHHH ALL THE FEELS *.*
You Say is a gorgeous song that surprisingly hit the main Hot 100 top 40, a rare feat for a Christian track, as well as making waves in the UK! The vocals here are just stunning, the clarity and expression recall Adele and it's no wonder it fits right in with other hits today despite being a Christian track.
Cry is another Melfest track, a bit less of a triumph than All The Feels at the actual competition as it crashed right out of its semi in 6th - despite being the pre-contest favourite to win, oops. This was down to a Julia Michaels esque midtempo with relatable lyrics and a memorable vocal performance being absloutely butchered live, Dotter rally was not on point on the night sad.gif
Level Up brought Ciara right back into music after a quiet few years, and it was definitely a great comeback! It's still got her R&B flair, but I get a bit of PC Music from it in a way that really grabbed me *.*
Uh Huh is a pretty short listen but it does a lot in 2:22 *.* Her voice is very Elle King-esque, it has a real punch to the chorus where she goes all out (screech to some, perhaps).
Americans is another Janelle track rounding off a section, this time it's a very politically charged track that sums up the themes of the whole album perfectly - the racism, sexism, homophobia etc. that plague American society even today. A very important song that has a lot to say.

150 Charli XCX - Girl's Night Out
149 Jonas Blue ft. Liam Payne & Lennon Stella - Polaroid
148 Amy Shark - I Said Hi
147 Serena - Safari
146 Nina Nesbitt - Somebody Special
145 Elodie ft. Michele Bravi & Gue Pequeno - Nero Bali
144 Camila Cabello - She Loves Control
143 Ariana Grande - Goodnight N Go
142 Dean Lewis - Be Alright
141 Molly Sanden - Storre

Girl's Night Out is pretty trashy but it so works, Charli makes it work. It's a messy pre-drinks sesh with a bottle of Lambrini before going to a questionable club, it's a 4am walk home after Popworld still buzzing from hearing Spice Girls, it's an Uber ride where you control the aux and put on Vengaboys, all condensed into this 4 minute pop song, it doesn't necessarily stand up to the likes of Lipgloss, Nuclear Seasons and 3am (Pull Up), but it's a bop.
Polaroid is one of three appearances for Lennon Stella, one of the best new artists of the year for me! Jonas Blue has been a bit iffy but this is a lovely bop, wistful if nothing revolutionary but Lennon really elevates this for me and Liam Payne sounds good too.
I Said Hi is a great alt-pop song, it's huge and radio ready but unique and quirky, Amy has a brilliant way of merging those styles and hasn't lost herself as she's become more famous.
Safari was absolutely ROBBED at the Romanian Eurovision selection - NINTH (!!!!!!!!!!!!) in its semi mellow.gif Its v Inna in 2018, its subdued but banging, I feel like it would have potentially stood out at Eurovision but instead we got an incredibly dull song that didn't make the final, serves them right x
Somebody Special feels like the perfect marriage of Nina's first era and new sound, as great as the album was thank god she's not female Ed Sheeran anymore kink.gif It's got that acoustic feel that made her debut special, but it feels more mature and contemporary with the R&B vibes, her voice really shines.
Nero Bali is another BJSC song, omg Liam in loving Italian pop song shock xx I was toying with entering this myself, it's so summery and joyful with a super catchy chorus that won't leave your head even if you have 0 idea what they're on about.
She Loves Control isn't quite as life changing as people make out, but it's definitely a huge bop and should have been a single. On an album that's a bit ballad heavy (whilst that is where Camila's voice shines), this really stands out and would have undoubtedly been a hit!
Goodnight n Go, an Imogen Heap cover, is stunning and shows that a lot of Sweetener album tracks should have been but just weren't. It embodies the feelings of love and gratefulness she felt about Pete at the time, the good place she was in despite the Manchester horror, which formed much of the basis of Sweetener.
Be Alright shouldn't be something I love so much, but I do! His voice is really intriguing, he reminds me of the bits I love about Ed Sheeran that get kinda lost at times in some of his less good music.... It's very Australian in lyrics and even his accent seeping through so I'm surprised it smashed but I really do like it.
Storre is quite Spotify, but in a good way laugh.gif As I said about the album, it's different for her yet feels so natural, it's very fitting for today but doesn't lose her sparkle that made songs like Phoenix, Why Am I Crying and Spread A Little Light so great.

140 Sabrina Carpenter - Paris
139 Lauren Aquilina - Psycho
138 Kacey Musgraves - Rainbow
137 SALMO - 90MIN
136 Poppy ft. Grimes - Play Destroy
135 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood
134 Francesca Michielin - Femme
133 Feli - Buna de iiubit
132 Rae Morris - Do It
131 Twenty One Pilots - My Blood

Paris was a real triumph for Sabrina after what was a disappointing couple of singles imo. It's dark and mysterious, pretty much flawless pop that leaves you wanting a bit more, another listen to satiate.
Psycho brought Lauren back after a break I believe, I remember her saying she was going to focus on songwriting but apparently she loved this song too much to give it away and released it herself! It's very Bad Liar but that really suits her, I've never been that fussed with her apart from a song or two but this made me take notice!
Rainbow is one of the most beautiful moments on Golden Hour, super simple and lets Kacey's voice do the talking wub.gif Her Seth Myers performance of this sums up exactly why she's such a star.
90MIN is a bit of a change of pace from the last few kink.gif Aggressive hip-hop from Italy, not normally something I'd like but this really hit me for some reason.
Play Destroy perfectly melds Grimes and Poppy's sounds - cute and aggressive at the same time works, who knew? kink.gif The rocky production hits hard, Poppy stays in character, it's very very odd but I just embrace it *.*
Youngblood was a redemption for 5SOS after Want U Back kinda flopped, I didn't care much for it either. The synthy new wavey production is definitely different for them, but it works, the chorus is anthemic af like their earlier stuff and it all ties together so well.
Femme was a step in a new direction for Francesca, being a collaboration with a house producer. This dance sound was great to hear from her, it maintains her usual girl next door kind of feel but ups it to a thumping club anthem *.*
Buna de iiubit is the second song in this countdown Romania robbed, it came so close to Eurovision sad.gif it's a bit tribal, a bit summery, very Eurovision, a bit of a revamp and an English version and this could have been a fan fave and a hit at Eurovision but we'll never know </3
Do It was a bit of a shock from Rae, I thought she'd vanished after Unguarded didn't do as well as perhaps expected or hoped, but she arrived back on the scene with this electro-pop blog darling kind of sound *.* It's very laid back and tentative, yet hard-hitting and memorable, her voice really sells it.
My Blood was a different sid to Trench after the chilled rap track Levitate and aggressive lead Jumpsuit, and intriuged me further for an already anticipated album. It's quite indie-pop, not necessarily what we'd expect from the guys but then again when it comes to TOP you can't really have an expectation because they could come out with anything!

130 Delta Goodrem - Think About You
129 Margaret - In My Cabana
128 Post Malone - Better Now
127 Jorja Smith ft. Stormzy - Let Me Down
126 Billie Eilish ft. Khalid - Lovely
125 Tove Stryke - Sway
124 Troye Sivan - Bloom
123 Jessie Reyez ft. Normani & Kehlani - Body Count
122 Zac Efron & Zendaya - Rewrite The Stars
121 Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi - Baby

Think About You was a change for Delta, a sexy and playful bop about undressing someone with your eyes because you just have so much lust - relatable queen xx Despite her usual forte being vocally powerful ballads and emotional songs, this really worked to bring out a different side of her voice.
In My Cabana was Margaret's return to Eurovision selections after probably the biggest NF robbery EVER in 2016 as Cool Me Down lost to Michal bloody Spzak... She didn't win again, but made the final with this Havana-esque Latin bop, and is back again for 2019 *.*
Better Now is every reason why Post is a shining light in the shit rap that plagues the chart, so so catchy and really that's all a song like this needs.
Let Me Down is so gorgeous, why on earth did Jorja leave it off the album drama.gif Both her and Stormzy are at their best here, they meld so well as two sides of a story.
Lovely is a gorgeous collab from two rising stars, two very different voices but they come together in such a way that feels like they're meant to be together, the light and dark each other needs.
Sway is a wonderful blog-pop bop from one of the two perenially underrated Toves! It's nothing that new from her previous album, but if ain't broke don't fix it. She has such a way with pop melodies *.*
Bloom is one of the few good Troye songs, bottoming bop x It's really obvious what it's about once you know, I suppose there's a reason the gays have taken it on as such an anthem, it captures that sort of exciting first time feeling and the feelings that come with exploring those things in a new relationship.
Body Count is such a unique song, I love how it subverts the whole "hoes" thing in urban music and makes it empowering, women singing about owning their own bodies and sexual freedom, because they can *.* All three voices bring something different, I couldn't imagine the track without them all.
Rewrite The Stars brings Greatest Showman back to this countdown, after a fair few sections without the biggest movie of the year! This ready-made pop smash is brimming with electricity and chemistry which comes alive even more in the context of the film when you see the relationship between the two characters <3
Baby was another great pop track from Clean Bandit, with a newly Diamond-less Marina. It might not be Symphony level (what is?) but it's a really fresh take on the Latin trend. It could easily have been identikit, but it's got a bit of that classic sort of Boney M/Bacara feel that makes it feel really needed in the charts today.

120 BLACKPINK - DDU-DU DDU-DU
119 Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier
118 Maren Morris - Rich
117 Ella Mai - Boo'd Up
116 Jessica Andersson - Party Voice
115 Hugh Jackman & The Greatest Showman Ensemble - The Greatest Show
114 Mikolas Josef - Lie To Me
113 Rebecca - Who We Are
112 Years & Years - All For You
111 Azealia Banks - Anna Wintour

DDU-DU DDU-DU is a fierce and piercing trap track that shows exactly why BLACKPINK are the #1 K-Pop girls in the game, they fill the hole 2NE1 left in my heart when they disbanded for sure.
Happier is one of those odd songs I felt nothing about for ages then it came on randomly and just hit me laugh.gif It's very generic but it packs emotion in, especially with the video as part of the package <3 Dan from Bastille isn't someone you'd expect to work so well on a generic future bass track, but here we are.
Rich is the final single from Maren's debut album, it continues the trend of them all slaying *.* It's got a sort of reggae-ish vibe, but is undeniably country, as always she's blending the genres and slaying with it.
Boo'd Up was a huge surprise smash in the US, an unknown Brit absolutely smashing it and becoming one of the biggest songs of the year! This really harks back to classic 90s R&B, bringing it into the modern era with production by DJ Mustard. It's so smooth but imbued with confidence and heart on sleeve lyricism, a winning combo.
Party Voice is yet another Melfest song, this time a Schlagerfest that any Eurovision obsessed gay worth their salt will have got their life too at some point over the past 12 months. This is classic Melfest, a huge chorus you can sing along to, gay as anything, perhaps a bit outdated for how far things how come but I still adored it and Melfest will always have a place for songs like this.
The Greatest Show is the song that kicks it all off in The Greatest Showman, a huge statement of a song that instantly sets the tone for the fun and uplifting film. It really makes you want to sing along and puts you in a good mod <3
Lie To Me was one of my Eurovision highlights this year, I knew from first listen it was gonna be up there *.* It's so modern and fun, with the hip-hop vibes, swagger and silly lyrics (plenty motherf***ers wanna eat my spaghetti *.*), it's no wonder it was by far Czech Republic's biggest success in Eurovision ever.
Who We Are is yet another robbery from a national final (take a shot every time I say that, I'll get you an ambulance ready x) sad.gif Instead of this soaring ballad, we got Alexander Rybak's absolute embarrassment which was one of the worst ESC songs in history.
All For You is easily the highlight of Y&Y's latest album, a super danceable pop song for the gays that's about leaving behind a toxic relationship. If you were in that position, this song would help you shake it off and feel much better *.*
Anna Wintour is a funny one when we're speaking of toxic xx Azealia Banks is ofc an awful person, but this is an absolute banger and shows why she's more than worth her salt as a musician. The 90s hosue esque production fits so well with her aggressive raps and the chorus that almost sounds like a demonic chant laugh.gif

110 Freya Ridings - Lost Without You
109 Asmik Shiroyan - You & I
108 Shawn Mendes ft. Julia Michaels - Like To Be You
107 Trixie Mattel - Break Your Heart
106 Vitaa - Comme dab
105 Tinashe ft. Offset - No Drama
104 Lady Gaga - Hair Body Face
103 Mariette - For You
102 Blair St. Clair - Now Or Never
101 Cardi B ft. J Balvin & Bad Bunny - I Like It

Lost Without You was a song I orgiinally heard in BJSC, but it become a real world hit following interest after a Love Island soundbed. It's a gorgeous piano led ballad that lets her voice do the talking, and it's been so popular it's back in the top 10 at its peak at #9 in the week I post this *.* Queen of avoiding ACR for seemingly an eternity.
You & I is ANOTHER national final robbery, 2019 wasn't kind to some of my Eurofaves kink.gif This is pretty much made to be a Buzzjack fave, a soaring dance-pop track with a huge chorus, it would have surely been a fan fave at Eurovision as well but they chucked it in favour of a dull male ballad that failed to qualify.
Like To Be You was an instant fave of Shawn's album for me, Nervous released to prior to the album recalled some Julia Michaels written songs for me so a collab was a natural next step. Their voices work so well together, Julia's vulnerability and Shawn's raw honesty playing out as two sides of a story within a relationship makes for a great listen.
Break Your Heart shows exactly why Trixie is one of the best Drag Race alumni musically, a bona fide country triumph that has as much melody and heart as any of her contemporaries, showing that drag queen music doesn't always have to be trashy dance-pop.
Comme dab was my biggest BJSC flop of the year, failing to qualify in January sad.gif It's definitely a grower which maybe went against it in a contest with a one week voting window, the Stromae production creeps up on you and it's certainly quite subtle but once it hits you it really hits you. Here's hoping it does better in Rejects given it had a year to grow on people!
No Drama is definitely the highlight of Tinashe's long awaited second album, a swaggering blast of confidence that embodies everything that makes Tinashe such an underrated star, but ofc as always it was paid dust and she flopped.
Hair Body Face is a classic Gaga throwback, one of the poppy moments on the A Star Is Born soundtrack where Ally in her career lost her way a tad. It's nothing revolutionary or groundbreaking, but for those of us who've stanned for years, it's a nice moment that feels like Gaga's career in reverse is playing out on screen, this easily could have been a The Fame track!
For You is another Melfest track, and another that didn't quite win. Mariette is becoming a Sanna Nielsen type, as this was her 3rd time in the final and the 3rd time just not quite getting there. The performance brought this alive although it wasn't *quite* a winning performance, the song is a great pop song but again didn't feel quite there to win as much as I love it, here's hoping she comes back soon and gets 4th time lucky laugh.gif
Now Or Never was a real shock for me when it come out, it felt like a theatrical young queen like her would release some kinda cringe Broadway type album, but this EDM banger came out of nowhere *.* It had power and honesty, but also would be right at home blasting out of a club at 3am, a great combo tbh.
I Like It is the final song to fall before the top 100. It's well documented I can't stand Cardi B, but whilst I disliked this summery Latin jam at first, I couldn't resist it for too long! It was perfect for the hot summer weather we had, and was a huge summer hit worldwide because of it.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 13 2019, 05:40 AM
Post #52
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

Happier hit me pretty randomly too after finding it so bland for months laugh.gif

Just gave Paris a first listen, really liked it! Definite Lana vibes to it but still fits Sabrina, more so than Almost Love as much as I liked that. She's such a talent and needs to properly break through one of these days

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 14 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #53
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Riser @ Jan 13 2019, 05:40 AM) *
Happier hit me pretty randomly too after finding it so bland for months laugh.gif

Just gave Paris a first listen, really liked it! Definite Lana vibes to it but still fits Sabrina, more so than Almost Love as much as I liked that. She's such a talent and needs to properly break through one of these days

Omg Lana WISHES

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Jan 14 2019, 11:42 PM
Post #54
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 223

Some really good stuff here - Bad Vibe, Level Up, Boo'd Up & Body Count being some of my faves wub.gif

Intrigued to see what is in your Top 10!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 15 2019, 01:06 AM
Post #55
Brown cow, stunning!

100 MNEK - Tongue
99 Kim Petras - Close Your Eyes
98 The Chainsmokers - Sick Boy
97 Charli XCX ft. Troye Sivan - 1999
96 Lil' Dicky ft. Chris Brown - Freaky Friday
95 Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone
94 Ariana Grande - R.E.M.
93 Dua Lipa ft. BLACKPINK - Kiss And Make Up
92 Zedd ft. Maren Morris - The Middle
91 Pistol Annie - Got My Name Changed Back

Tongue kicks off our top 100, absolutely robbed of being a smash! This is unique and gay af, but really hit ready with bags of pop sensibility, Spotify ready at the same as being something only MNEK could have released.
Close Your Eyes is also gay af, an absolute pop banger that could wake the dead *.* Kim has such a way of punching you with perfect pop and this is a perfect example of it.
Sick Boy was a real shock from Chainsmokers, after an era of uninspiring bland Spotify filler EDM (although Closer was a bop) the last thing I expected was a brilliant Twenty One Pilots esque track but this actually suited Drew's limited voice so well and brought out the best in him.
1999 is a joyous, bouncy and fun nostalgia trip, right down to the video and the album cover. Despite Charli and Troye being 7 and 4 respectively in 1999, they could bring anyone back to the good old days.
Freaky Friday is a true guilty pleasure, I am so sorry sad.gif Chris Brown is an awful person but it's just so catchy and silly, very throwaway but I can't help but love it against all my better judgement.
You Let Me Walk Alone is a beautiful Eurovision track that deservedly finished 4th in the end <3 There's so much emotion and history in this song, the story of a torn up childhood and the emotions felt from it, and you can feel it all in every word.
R.E.M. is the non-single highlight of Sweetener, originally recorded by Beyonce but having heard her demo if fits Ari so much better. Her airy vocals float through the track and it feels so dreamy.
Kiss And Make Up made Blackpink the first K-Pop girl group to get a top 40 hit, the power of their fans and Dua's star power *.* The track is an absolute banger that melds the best of both acts to make some damn good pop.
The Middle is super generic, make no mistake, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maren's got such a great pop voice, hearing it on a song like this really brought out another side to it.
Got My Name Changed Back is a bumpkin bop, a country song through and through about the freedom and closure of getting a divorce and being a liberated woman again. Typically punchy and feminist for Pistol Annies *.*

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Jan 15 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #56
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jan 15 2019, 01:06 AM) *
R.E.M. is the non-single highlight of Sweetener, originally recorded by Beyonce but having heard her demo if fits Ari so much better. Her airy vocals float through the track and it feels so dreamy.

never knew this!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 16 2019, 01:35 AM
Post #57
Brown cow, stunning!

90 Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
89 Janelle Monae ft. Grimes - Pynk
88 Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do That?
87 Betta Lemme - Bambola
86 Francesca Michielin - Due galassie
85 Benny Bennassi & Sofi Tukker - Everybody Needs A Kiss
84 Ani Lorak - Сумасшедшая
83 Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
82 Carrie Underwood - Southbound
81 Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato - Solo

When The Party's Over is a stunning song that was quite the surprise hit! It's very very sparse, basically just leaving Billie's vocals to tell the entire story, but that works so well with such a unique voice that spews raw vulnerability with every word <3
Pynk is a feminist bop that concerns female bodies and female empowerment using the colour pink. Sonically, it definitely has a Grimes touch and Janelle's soft cool vocals actually work really well with it!
Why Did You Do That? is the best pop bop from A Star Is Born, it feels like it was taken right from The Fame but also fits in 2018 as a song Ally could have released as a hit.
Bambola is a BJSC entry that came 2nd, and a perfect pop song in both French and Italian that was a fair sized hit across Europe too. It's exactly what I want from a BJSC entry, some foreign pop with a banging drop and a catchy af chorus.
Due galassie is another Italian pop song, this time an album track from my fave Italian queen *.* This has a bit of a quirk to it, almost speak-singing in places but the chorus is an earworm pop moment, it feels like only Francesca really could have done it.
Everybody Needs A Kiss is a banger of life *.* This is the sort of dance I love, a lively floorfiller with real pop sensibility that should have been huge - this would sound amazing out in a club *.*
Сумасшедшая is the only Russian track in this countdown, and one of my BJSC entries. It's a slightly hypnotic, addictive pop track that's elevated by being in a language I know very little about, so it sounds kind of mysterious because she could be singing anything laugh.gif
Blue Lights was when I knew Jorja Smith was something special but it hit me even harder with her album out this year, due to her leaving off most of her other stuff I'd loved before the era! Her voice is so jazzy, soulful and smooth that it draws you in for the whole song and takes you to its world.
Southbound is a dose of pop on Carrie's latest album, which ventures a lot into R&B flavours! It's super summery and pop-rocky, it could have easily been a 2012 single for like Katy Perry, but it's got that country flavour to make it bang even more.
Solo rounds off this section, the highest Clean Bandit song which is a step down from their year-end #3 with Symphony! Still, this quack quack banger really lasted in my affections and I'm so glad it gave Demi a UK #1 *.*

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 16 2019, 01:36 AM
Post #58
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(jakewild @ Jan 15 2019, 04:15 PM) *
never knew this!

I didn't know til after and it sounds kinda weird as a Beyonce song laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 16 2019, 03:20 PM
Post #59
Brown cow, stunning!

80 Camila Cabello - Never Be The Same
79 Tove Lo ft. Charli XCX, Elliphant, Icona Pop & Alma - Bitches
78 Silk City ft. Dua Lipa - Electricity
77 ZiBBZ - Stones
76 Liam Payne - Familiar
75 Lennon Stella - Like Everybody Else (Acoustic)
74 Saara Aalto - Monsters
73 Benny Blanco ft. Halsey - Eastside
72 Lykke Li - Deep End
71 Trixie Mattel - Moving Parts (Acoustic)

Never Be The Same was definitely a change of pace after the Latin jam smash Havana but it's become a Camila fave for me! Her voice works just on well on a song like this (minus hero-een, morph-een x), with the vulnerability and breathy rawness.
Bitches is a feminist bop and the only time Alma has been tolerable and that's because her verse is mostly Elliphant x The rocky production is so attitude filled, it's empowering and confident and brash and really stands out among Tove's recent era.
Electricity was a great throwabck to the 2014 dance sound, something we don't hear much of now <3 Dua really fits it, such a breezy and carefree fun song.
Stones was robbed in Eurovision, poor Switzerland can never catch a break sad.gif The striking drums and raspy vocals combined to hit you, it was performed and staged so well as well.
Familiar is a bit of a guilty pleasure, I'm not sure why I love it so much when it's such an identikit Latin track laugh.gif Famili, famili, famili, familiar gets stuck in my head so easily though and the video doesn't hurt either as he is looking fiiiiiine *.*
Like Everybody Else is one of two acoustic versions in this countdown, in the very same section! This song is yet to have a "normal" version but I'm not sure it would feel right now, the sparseness really suits her vulnerable vocal and the relatable lyrics of not quite feeling normal or good enough.
Monsters is another Eurovision song, again I'll use that word robbed kink.gif There was definitely something missing from the performance but 21st or whatever was ridiculous from a song that sounded like a winner at first :/
Eastside was unsurprisngly a huge hit, with two rising stars plus Ed Sheeran on board. It's very X Ed Sheeran which is a good thing, before he got shit and sappy. Both vocals are instantly recognisable and unique and mesh so well with the production.
Deep End is best summed up as the song Nelly Furtado should have come back with in 2012. It's very different for Lykke Li but she actually really smashes this kind of smooth, vibey song, the production compliments her voice instead of drowning it out.
Moving Parts is another acoustic version, one I prefer over the main album version! It was first performed on Drag Race All Stars 3, and immediately hit me. Trixie really sells every word as a good classic country song should, you feel it all and easily relate to it all as if it's telling your life story.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 16 2019, 09:12 PM
Post #60
   No Gallery Pics

Nice to see Tongue so high! That chorus with those spoken vocals is what really makes it for me, such an earworm wub.gif

It's great to see Billie Eilish getting mainstream success as well, maybe the start of more alternative acts getting charts hits? Here's hoping anyway. Liking Blue Lights, Solo and Everybody Needs a Kiss from that lot as well!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:03 PM