BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year ● 1997 onwards, 2005: 40-21 posted
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Sergej
post Feb 5 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #41
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Hey Jade!
I think I don't remember the songs from #35-#31. But I do remember three songs from your next pack of songs and all of them are great!
"Smack My Bitch Up" is probably the definitive Prodigy song.
"Blood On The Dance Floor" is a classic that I always remember from MJ, because it's MJ, he is a legend.
And "One More Time" is amazing, Daft Punk are freaking awesome!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 5 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #42
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(dandy* @ Feb 4 2019, 10:30 PM) *
Yep I have all of those 5 too! laugh.gif

MJ is possibly the weak link there, I bought that one more out of routine than truly loving it. The other four are absolute classics though in my eyes *.*

Oh and that Around The World video you reference is quite possibly my favourite ever video. Yes it's been overtaken in terms of big budget affairs but the basic idea is just so simple and so darn watchable that I'd say it easily stands the test of time.
edit: Oh and for comparison purposes (and because you're featuring a lot of them), here are the #1s for me from the time:
175 05/01/97 Tori Amos "Professional Widow (It's Got To Be Big)"
176 12/01/97 Orbital "Satan (Live)"
177 26/01/97 White Town "Your Woman"
178 02/02/97 Blur "Beetlebum"
179 09/02/97 Placebo "Nancy Boy"
180 23/02/97 Blueboy "Remember Me"
181 02/03/97 The Source featuring Candi Staton "You Got The Love"
--- 16/03/97 Blueboy "Remember Me"
182 23/03/97 Monaco "What Do You Want From Me?"
183 30/03/97 Lamb "Gorecki"
184 06/04/97 The Chemical Brothers "Block Rockin' Beats"
185 13/04/97 Supergrass "Richard III"
186 20/04/97 Blur "Song 2"
187 04/05/97 Wannadies "Hit"
188 11/05/97 Daft Punk "Around The World"
189 25/05/97 Duran Duran "Out Of My Mind"
190 01/06/97 Radiohead "Paranoid Android"
191 06/07/97 Blur "On Your Own"
192 13/07/97 Oasis "D'You Know What I Mean?"
193 27/07/97 Massive Attack "Risingson"
194 10/08/97 Coolio featuring 40 Thevz "C U When U Get There"
195 17/08/97 Chumbawamba "Tubthumping"
196 31/08/97 Radiohead "Karma Police"
197 28/09/97 Blur "MOR"
198 05/10/97 Janet Jackson "Got 'Til It's Gone"
199 19/10/97 Propellerheads "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
200 26/10/97 DJ Shadow "High Noon"
201 02/11/97 Depeche Mode "Useless"
202 16/11/97 Natalie Imbruglia "Torn"
203 30/11/97 Prodigy "Smack My Bitch Up"
204 07/12/97 Deep Dish "Stranded"
205 14/12/97 Janet Jackson "Together Again"
206 21/12/97 Björk "Bachelorette"
I can't imagine they'll all feature but you never know! biggrin.gif

Blimey, 15/15?! laugh.gif I'm pleased that you bought MJ even though it wasn't quite as up to scratch as the others for you, this streak is just too cool *.*

The 'Around The World' video really is sublime heart.gif I love the simple but effective approach. Much like another music video that has just come into my head - 'Star Guitar' by The Chemical Brothers. You can have all the budget in the world but I'd happily take something like these instead of style over substance <3

I can confirm that some of those #1s are still to come and some I've never heard before, there are definitely gaps in my musical knowledge!

QUOTE(danG @ Feb 4 2019, 11:13 PM) *
35 wasn't keen on this, I probably would've rated it more if I was actually 'there' but it just sounds like most other charity collectives that we had more than enough of in 2009-10
34 there's not really a whole lot to this, surprised it had that much chart longevity
33 he's undeniably talented, but this one's basically unlistenable (and I'm not going to remind myself of the vid) laugh.gif
32 yay a song I like! clearly not what Tori wants to be known for but I love the groove and Armand's production here
31 big tune! and I prefer this to the Stunt version
30 yeah I like this too, not quite up with Breathe/Firestarter but another tune from them
29 yes! first heard it years ago when i was searching up for trance classics, took a while to hit me though as it wasn't what I was expecting
28 one of his more forgettable songs for me, a bit of a non-#1 too oops!
27 another iconic dance track! they've outdone themselves multiple times but it's a great tune despite how basic it sounds
26 not heard of this before but quite like it on a first listen

Quite a mixed bag this time for you laugh.gif yay for the appreciation for some of those dance classics though, plus you checking out 'High Noon' and enjoying it!

QUOTE(Bré @ Feb 5 2019, 12:18 AM) *
Yas at a first appearance for The Prodigy *.* it's pretty wild that a song with that title was able to fly and be a top 10 hit, obviously controversial but I've always heard the title is meant to be a reference to taking drugs - regardless, a great tune and I really love the video for it as well. 'The Age Of Love' is another good pick from BJSC of course and 'Around The World' is an all-time classic (and agreed with Dandy it's an all-time great music video as well), criminally short chart run for it!

'Blood On The Dance Floor' seems to have largely flown under the radar considering it was one of his #1s, I don't recall ever hearing it around the time he died. I think I've only ever heard it a small handful of times (mostly from your brother playing it in the car lmao xx) but it is a good track.

*.* 'The Fat of the Land' era was just too good. That is something that my vinyl collection is desperately crying out for tbh, one day. I know right though?! The nineties truly were an interesting time. Also a druggy time, so that would make sense. This was the video that 'Bad Trip' reminded you of, right?

Some of these chart runs are a state! Poor brave Daft Punk and MJ. Still better than ACR though x But yeah, I think it would've taken me a long time to hear 'Blood On The Dance Floor' if not for my brother's obsession with pretty much every MJ song laugh.gif Ryan's impact for both of us *_*

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Feb 5 2019, 03:19 PM) *
Hey Jade!
I think I don't remember the songs from #35-#31. But I do remember three songs from your next pack of songs and all of them are great!
"Smack My Bitch Up" is probably the definitive Prodigy song.
"Blood On The Dance Floor" is a classic that I always remember from MJ, because it's MJ, he is a legend.
And "One More Time" is amazing, Daft Punk are freaking awesome!

Hey there Serge! hi.gif

I'm glad that you're starting to recognise more songs now and liking them for that matter *.* three bangers right there.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 5 2019, 10:05 PM
Post #43

25. Orbital - The Saint
(chart-run: 3-12-22-43-71-73-68)

24. Sash! - Ecuador (feat. Rodriguez)
(chart-run: 2-2-6-6-11-16-18-23-28-37-56-74)

23. Moby - James Bond Theme
(chart-run: 8-16-26-42-57-64-68-74R(2))

22. All Saints - I Know Where It's At
(chart-run: 4-6-9-17-26-36-45-75)

21. Rosie Gaines - Closer Than Close
(chart-run: 4-5-6-5-14-14-16-25-27-38-50-68)

We begin this section, which contains five songs that are all top 10 hits, with Orbital's #3 smash 'The Saint'! This is their highest peaking single along with 'Satan (Live)'. But, for some bizarre reason, this song has never made any of their studio albums. Boo! It was a soundtrack release for the 1997 espionage thriller film also titled 'The Saint'. Its B-side is called 'The Sinner', naturally. 'The Saint' is not an entirely original song from the duo, as it is in fact an updated version of Edwin Astley's 1960s incarnation. It takes the melody from that but gives it a classic Orbital twist with fantastic electronic elements added to it. This definitely feels like a suitable soundtrack song, I have never seen the film that accompanies it (or the TV series that Astley's version is in for that matter) but I could easily picture it slotting into a thriller, due to the rather exhilarating feel of it. I have only recently been getting into Orbital, with 'Tiny Foldable Cities' topping my personal chart last year, but their older material has proven to be just as good. You can't go wrong with a dance instrumental that features exciting toe-tapping rhythms really. Next up we have Sash!'s second and final appearance for 1997. 'Ecuador' was of course another #2 smash for Sash! as most of their singles were. This song, much like 'Encore Une Fois', features another German fraud contributing in a different language, DJ Adrian Rodriguez in Spanish this time kink.gif I really enjoy what Sash! were going for with their sound most of the time, aka some kind of particular word/phrase being chanted before the instrumental hook of the song swiftly follows. However, I find this offering to be far less intense than 'Encore Une Fois' as the production here is instead a lot more breezy. Also... this is me so how could I not stan a dance song that features some Español?! What an utterly joyful experience.

Next is another trip to the movies in true electronic fashion, just like 'The Saint'. However, this is a bit more of a guilty pleasure! Moby takes the grandeur James Bond theme and transforms it into this fun version which really packs a punch. I must admit that the reason I discovered it was a little random. This was during dancing dog act Kate & Gin's audition for the 2008 series of Britain's Got Talent laugh.gif There was something in the water for that series as two of my BJSC entries were sourced from it too! I don't know if I was more captivated by the dog or the song in this case. It was the perfect blend tbh. But yeah... I'm a huge fan of Moby in general and it was interesting to see more of a light hearted side of him for this! Even if he admits that he prefers the original to his own version. Oops. Next I break up the mound of dance songs with a fantastic piece of pop/R&B from girlband All Saints! Time for another confession, I presumed that 'Never Ever' was their debut for years. But nope, this was actually the song that launched them into the chart. This was just effortlessly cool from them really. Before the days where their street cred would be torn to shreds by people outraged at them daring to cover Red Hot Chili Peppers. Well, I say this is cool but I've just seen a YouTube comment comparing Shaznay's rap to Bart Simpson and now I'm questioning everything tbh. In all seriousness, this is the first of many brilliant releases from All Saints. Although I may have a bit more of a soft spot for the William Orbit stuff... you'll have to wait and see where a certain #1 smash ends up in a few years. Now, of course, it's a dance song to wrap up this section but with a bit of girl power this time as American lady Rosie Gaines is at the helm. She is a one hit wonder (if you go by the top 20 definition) as she only ever had two other 'hits' - charting at #70 and #39 respectively. Not only is the pounding house production on this one excellent but Rosie's vocals are nothing to be sniffed at either! She demonstrates an impressive range throughout this song. The verses are where her vocals shine most as they contain longer notes for her to hit. But it's allll about that infectious snappy chorus too, tune!

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Feb 5 2019, 10:18 PM
Post #44
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Tubthunping is an anthem, it always strikes me that none of the other Chumbawamba songs I've heard sound remotely like it! It's a great song though, really catchy. I love a bit of Daft Punk as well, and Around the World is a great piece of music and one that's yet to be ruined by Kanye West at least wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Feb 5 2019, 10:22 PM
Post #45
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

What a minute... Moby did a Version of the James Bond Theme?
I have to check it out soon!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 5 2019, 11:46 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Feb 5 2019, 10:18 PM) *
Tubthunping is an anthem, it always strikes me that none of the other Chumbawamba songs I've heard sound remotely like it! It's a great song though, really catchy. I love a bit of Daft Punk as well, and Around the World is a great piece of music and one that's yet to be ruined by Kanye West at least wink.gif

I have shamefully never heard any other Chumbawamba songs despite liking 'Tubthumping' so much (an anthem indeed) - I should definitely change that. Glad to hear that you're a Daft Punk fan, they rarely put a foot wrong heart.gif argh that shade! laugh.gif

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Feb 5 2019, 10:22 PM) *
What a minute... Moby did a Version of the James Bond Theme?
I have to check it out soon!

He did indeed *.* you'll have to let me know what you think of it!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 6 2019, 02:44 AM
Post #47
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Faves from 21-30 include the Rosie Gaines (tune *.*), All Saints, Daft Punk and Michael Jackson songs heart.gif It's been ages since I heard Blood on the Dance Floor - seems to be one of his more under-rated songs. I'm pretty certain it was the first song I ever heard by him!

Looking forward to the Top 20 cool2.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Feb 6 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #48
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Ah we can't make it 20/20 I'm afraid! In fact I only bought the Rosie Gaines track out of that lot... The Saint is okay but I was never that fussed on film remakes, same for Moby's bond rework. Although my love for the Propellerheads 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' kind of makes that comment a bit redundant. Sash! was good at the time but I think I already had it on a compilation and I hadn't succumbed to All Saints yet, I didn't get anything before their second album.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Feb 6 2019, 04:56 PM
Post #49
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

I Know Where It's At *.* that was a huuuuge highlight both times I saw them live, it sounds so brilliant and fresh still!

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Feb 6 2019, 05:28 PM
Post #50
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Jade,

'The Saint' not one I'm familiar with, but listening to it sounds great. 'Ecuador' absolute tune from Sash!. 'James Bond Theme' also from Moby, a good rework of the Bond theme but the original still edges it. Not too familiar with Rosie or that All Saints track sorry.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Feb 6 2019, 05:58 PM
Post #51
With Kristina in heart
Group: Members
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

I dislike any dance/electronic tracks, so only "Tubthumping" and possibly MJ songs are OK for me. smile.gif
Please, without "Torn". Very rare old pop hit, which I hate. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Feb 6 2019, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
Brer
post Feb 6 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #52
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 5 2019, 11:46 PM) *
I have shamefully never heard any other Chumbawamba songs despite liking 'Tubthumping' so much (an anthem indeed) - I should definitely change that.

I don't think they have any other songs that are anything like that one, the rest of their discography is mostly anarchist punk laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Feb 6 2019, 09:21 PM
Post #53
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Oh there was an album that accompanied the single with similar poppier sounds, Tumbthumper if I recall correctly... follow up single 'Amnesia' also made the charts albeit briefly.

edit: this is not recommending you listen btw!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 6 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #54

Oops I've been super busy today but I'll try and get another one of these written soon.

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Feb 6 2019, 02:44 AM) *
Faves from 21-30 include the Rosie Gaines (tune *.*), All Saints, Daft Punk and Michael Jackson songs heart.gif It's been ages since I heard Blood on the Dance Floor - seems to be one of his more under-rated songs. I'm pretty certain it was the first song I ever heard by him!

Looking forward to the Top 20 cool2.gif

I thought you might appreciate All Saints in particular *.* glad to see the Rosie Gaines stanning too x and aw, it's a shame that you never really hear it, I only do if I seek it out myself or my brother is playing MJ in the car, genuinely have never heard it on the radio or music channels even once D: Despite the #1 status, I totally agree that it's underrated. Oh wow ohmy.gif I think mine was probably 'Thriller'! #commercialhoe

Yayyyyyy <3

QUOTE(dandy* @ Feb 6 2019, 04:43 PM) *
Ah we can't make it 20/20 I'm afraid! In fact I only bought the Rosie Gaines track out of that lot... The Saint is okay but I was never that fussed on film remakes, same for Moby's bond rework. Although my love for the Propellerheads 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' kind of makes that comment a bit redundant. Sash! was good at the time but I think I already had it on a compilation and I hadn't succumbed to All Saints yet, I didn't get anything before their second album.

Aw damn, I guess our streak hitting 20 was too good to be true! I shall make a revision of hoping that you will own at least one from each section then kink.gif I see I see, I seem to just have a soft spot for those kind of songs haha. I'll let you off for Sash! then kink.gif and for not feeling All Saints until their second album as that one contains some of their very best <3

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Feb 6 2019, 04:56 PM) *
I Know Where It's At *.* that was a huuuuge highlight both times I saw them live, it sounds so brilliant and fresh still!

Ooh I bet they'd be amazing live! I've always appreciated their harmonies. Glad that it's a favourite for you wub.gif

QUOTE(Mack. @ Feb 6 2019, 05:28 PM) *
Hi Jade,

'The Saint' not one I'm familiar with, but listening to it sounds great. 'Ecuador' absolute tune from Sash!. 'James Bond Theme' also from Moby, a good rework of the Bond theme but the original still edges it. Not too familiar with Rosie or that All Saints track sorry.

Hey there Mack!

I'm glad that this countdown steered you in the direction of 'The Saint' and that you ended up enjoying it, yay *.* Indeed, 'Ecuador' is one of his absolute best <3 and, well, Moby agrees with you on that so fair enough tongue.gif I would definitely recommend 'Closer Than Close' as a fun dance tune!

QUOTE(Good Old Days @ Feb 6 2019, 05:58 PM) *
I dislike any dance/electronic tracks, so only "Tubthumping" and possibly MJ songs are OK for me. smile.gif
Please, without "Torn". Very rare old pop hit, which I hate. laugh.gif

laugh.gif poor brave dance/electronic songs! Lucky Chumbawamba + MJ escaping the wrath x
We shall see ohmy.gif

QUOTE(Bré @ Feb 6 2019, 08:32 PM) *
I don't think they have any other songs that are anything like that one, the rest of their discography is mostly anarchist punk laugh.gif

QUOTE(dandy* @ Feb 6 2019, 09:21 PM) *
Oh there was an album that accompanied the single with similar poppier sounds, Tumbthumper if I recall correctly... follow up single 'Amnesia' also made the charts albeit briefly.

edit: this is not recommending you listen btw!

This all sounds intriguing but terrifying. I think I'll stick to being knocked down and getting up again x

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 9 2019, 12:57 PM
Post #55
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

“Encore Une Fois” was the biggest floorfiller when I DJ-d for my sister's wedding. Loads of great stuff here like “Around The World”, “Remember Me”, “Closer Than Close” and of course “Smack My Bitch Up” which has a fantastic video. A great start Jade.

Is Bentley Rhythm Ace “Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!” going to appear? Love that one. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 10 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Feb 9 2019, 12:57 PM) *
“Encore Une Fois” was the biggest floorfiller when I DJ-d for my sister's wedding. Loads of great stuff here like “Around The World”, “Remember Me”, “Closer Than Close” and of course “Smack My Bitch Up” which has a fantastic video. A great start Jade.

Is Bentley Rhythm Ace “Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!” going to appear? Love that one. biggrin.gif

I can really imagine 'Encore Une Fois' filling up dancefloors with ease so I approve of that choice for your sister's wedding *.* pleased to see you picking out a handful of highlights so far <3 and I have no idea what 'Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!' is (my youthful years showing??) - perhaps I need to check that out kink.gif

I have had a very busy week which explains this slowing down so much but I'm going to type up a new section tonight at last happy.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 10 2019, 10:08 PM
Post #57

20. Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
(chart-run: 3-4-5-6-8-14-18-27-30-38-54)

19. Puff Daddy & Faith Evans - I'll Be Missing You (feat. 112)
(chart-run: 1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2-3-4-6-5-11-12-18-27-34-40-52-61-75)

18. Sandy B - Make The World Go Round
(chart-run: 35-51)

17. Tina Moore - Never Gonna Let You Go
(chart-run: 7-11-9-12-9-11-11-17-15-23-21-28-35-43-67)

16. The Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize
(chart-run: 10-32-46-61)

We (finally!) kick off the top 20 of 1997 with the best-selling boyband of all-time. I am not all that familiar with the Backstreet Boys' discography but I must say that 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)' is a pop gem of the nineties. I feel like the production in particular sounds very of its time but this song as a whole will never die. It has become a tenuous Halloween classic due to mirroring the music video of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller', in the sense that it also acts as a parody of the horror film genre. Despite this Halloween link, the song itself is not scary at all. In fact, far from it! 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)' is an utterly joyous song, with its thumping production and lyrics that urge us all to unite. It never fails to put me in a good mood and for that reason it has a special place in my heart. Speaking of songs that have a special place in my heart... I feel like a huge part of the reason that I have such a soft spot for 'I'll Be Missing You', at #19, is because it was at #1 on the day I was born. It had a marvellous stint at the top at that with 6 (non-consecutive) weeks up there. I've had many dodgy birthday #1s over the years but I was off to a good start here at least. This is one of the rare hip-hop songs that gets the seal of approval from Heart FM. I suppose it is a rap ballad though. 'I'll Be Missing You' is a tribute to American rapper The Notorious B.I.G. who was killed in March 1997. I am always sceptical of songs that rely heavily around interpolations (in this case it's 'Every Breath You Take' by The Police - which is a fantastic song in its own right) but I happen to think that this one works really well. The meaning of the original song (obsessions that occur with a lost lover) is flipped on its head and is turned into a touching tribute. I'm a big softie who enjoys this version a lot, Puff Daddy was B.I.G.'s former mentor and Faith was his wife so it all feels genuinely emotional and appropriate. Now let's switch up the tempo with a magnificent house tune from Sandy B! It's the exact kind of loopy dance that I'm a sucker for. So thanks Kisstory for introducing this minor hit to me one time. This is a highly infectious record with a dangerous chorus - as it'll get stuck in your head for the entire week! Just a really fun and catchy floorfiller with a seriously incredible bassline. 'Make The World Go Round' was released about four times and managed a new peak of #20 the following year!

We have a back-to-back of female dance top 40 hits but this next one is a lot more well known! 'Never Gonna Let You Go' by R&B singer Tina Moore was given the 2-step garage treatment in remix form by Kelly G, resulting in the famous version that became a top 10 hit back in 1997. Not going to lie, I've always found the mangled intro pretty jarring but thankfully it's only a tiny part of the song and then it becomes fabulous after we've got past that bit! The garage genre has always appealed to me a lot (I can't wait until we get to the year 2000 in this countdown) so this remix was already going to be off to a good start on that front. The song is pretty feel-good with the faithful lyrics, banging beats and fun other inclusions like beat-boxing and choppy segments. A divine old skool dance sound. Now let's finish off this section with some gangsta rap! The Notorious B.I.G. makes an appearance himself now after being referenced earlier for 'I'll Be Missing You'. I must confess that the first taste of 'Hypnotize' that I ever had was Blue's 'Fly By II' sampling 'Rise' by Herb Alpert, which 'Hypnotize' also borrows from laugh.gif so I already knew from this that the production was going to be a highlight of 'Hypnotize'. I can confirm that it sure is! Those smooth grooves from 'Rise' carry the song along just perfectly. As do The Notorious B.I.G.'s verses (that are littered with popular culture references) as his flow is as effortlessly impressive as ever. The hook (interpolated from Slick Rick's 'La Di Da Di') is one that results in instant head-bobbing too. This was his first U.K. top 10 hit and a #1 smash on the Billboard Hot 100. The Notorious B.I.G. was tragically shot dead just one week after this single was released.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Feb 10 2019, 10:29 PM
Post #58
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)' is definitely an all-time classic boyband song *.* I think that and 'I Want It That Way' may be the only songs I have ever heard by BSB though.

Love the Biggie and Puff Daddy songs as well! I actually knew 'I'll Be Missing You' before 'Every Breath You Take' and I still always expect it to say 'missing' instead of 'watching' whenever I hear the latter lmao. Very tasteful sample usage anyway. And I think the sample is the only reason it got the Heart FM pass haha, similar to 'Gangsta's Paradise' with its Stevie Wonder sample. Although Heart is slowly lightening up a bit and playing a few more rap songs now (I've heard Flo Rida's 'Low' on there lol *_*).

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 11 2019, 07:17 AM
Post #59
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Never Gonna Let You Go *.* That intro is kind of iconic even though it's annoying too kink.gif One of the finest Garage songs ever.

I'll Be Missing You is so touching, such a great use of the sample. Such a classic!

Backstreet's Back... BOP! Not my favourite by BSB, but certainly up there. Remember this going down a storm at a school disco laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 11 2019, 05:22 PM
Post #60
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

“Make The World Go Round”! wub.gif
That bassline was later sampled by Camisra on “Let Me Show You” which became a Top 10 hit (#5) in February 1998.

Can't deny the original though, and I also love “Never Gonna Let You Go” - yes the Kelly G remix was the big one and that was in the clubs from around 1995.

This is like listening to Kisstory on a night shift... !

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:39 PM