BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Do we still have a British music scene?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Hassaan
post 11th July 2020, 11:41 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,168

It feels that since streaming really took over, the charts have become a lot more Americanised - perhaps unsurprisingly so.

But while there are exceptions, it feels that the British music scene right now isn't as distinctive as "British" - even compared to, say, 6 years ago when the likes of Ed Sheeran, Jess Glynne, Sam Smith etc were all initially breaking through. Although 6 years ago was when streaming was just introduced to the charts so...

If you asked me what I'd define as the British music scene based on what's in the charts right now, I'd struggle.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 11th July 2020, 11:51 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

The language plays a huge role. In countries where English is not the mother tongue, the music scene is much more local.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th July 2020, 12:26 PM
Post #3
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

British hip-hop is extremely prevalent right now - Stormzy, AJ Tracey, Aitch, Dave, etc have all become big names, for example.

Looking at other genres, the top 40 has Harry Styles, 220 KID, Joel Corry, Nathan Dawe, Dua Lipa, Little Mix and Becky Hill representing British music right now! Not to mention Lewis Capaldi just outside who's been one of the biggest breakthrough artists globally in the past 18 months.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 11th July 2020, 01:05 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Yep grime & drill is dominating the charts. And I know the latter originated in the US but there's lot more of a drill scene in the UK imo.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 11th July 2020, 01:06 PM

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 11th July 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

I think there is both in pop with artists like Dua Lipa, Lewis Capaldi and Ed Sheeran
and also UK rap with Stormzy, AJ Tracey etc

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 11th July 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 11th July 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

Would it be fair to say that Britain just isn't very good at producing pop stars? When you think of American pop stars you think of Britney, Christina, Katy, Beyonce, Rihanna, Pink etc where they're sort of bursting with personality or charm and there's so much focus on the image and big productions and the flamboyance and fun of being a pop star....and yet aside from Dua Lipa it seems that British females are really tame in comparison. Adele, Leona Lewis, Jessie J, Jess Glynne and Emeli Sande are the first names that come to mind but would anyone call them 'pop stars'? Or just singers?

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 11th July 2020, 05:05 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Jul 11 2020, 05:06 PM) *
Would it be fair to say that Britain just isn't very good at producing pop stars? When you think of American pop stars you think of Britney, Christina, Katy, Beyonce, Rihanna, Pink etc where they're sort of bursting with personality or charm and there's so much focus on the image and big productions and the flamboyance and fun of being a pop star....and yet aside from Dua Lipa it seems that British females are really tame in comparison. Adele, Leona Lewis, Jessie J, Jess Glynne and Emeli Sande are the first names that come to mind but would anyone call them 'pop stars'? Or just singers?

I’d say US are better when it comes to the whole package but the singer songwriter type artists are what the UK kinda does well.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th July 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #9
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Jul 11 2020, 05:06 PM) *

I mean that's only within the realm of "solo female popstars" to be fair. Little Mix are worth a mention, and they've achieved some global success even if US radio seems keen to ignore their existence. They've got the big productions and the image to match those names you mentioned.

However, it's also important to consider that pop music isn't just Katy Perry-esque songs. People like Ed Sheeran are still pop music, albeit a different area of pop! There's also One Direction - they may not have had the choreography but they're one of our biggest success stories of the past decade. The conversation is wider than the pop girls!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 11th July 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

This thread gave me a pretty overwhelming sense of déjà vu. Just realised it's because you posted the exact same topic on /r/popheads on Reddit.

(I have nothing to contribute here, just saying I see you xo)

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 11th July 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #11
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Big up r/popheads laugh.gif

I saw the same thing and laughed

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 11th July 2020, 08:05 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Adele is the best thing to come from the UK in the new millennium. 1D are the second best. Both are examples of classic British talent.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 11th July 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #13
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Actually I will contribute one thing magic.gif

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Jul 11 2020, 02:05 PM) *
Yep grime & drill is dominating the charts. And I know the latter originated in the US but there's lot more of a drill scene in the UK imo.

UK drill is named after the original American / Chicago drill but it has a pretty distinct sound of its own, as I understand it the link is more the lyrical content than anything else and even that has become more sanitised over time as the genre has become more mainstream, I think it can be considered a pretty quintessentially British genre almost as much as grime (though it has kind of gone full circle with the UK drill sound crossing back over to the US as it was adopted by the New York drill scene, Pop Smoke et al). Obviously there are some parts of British rap that are much more just a budget interpretation of US hip-hop/trap (particularly the 'trap-wave' artists like D-Block Europe and M Huncho who are not coincidentally also the worst British rappers xx) but more of it than not is pretty distinctly British.

Also I wish actual grime was still dominating the charts. Sadly even Stormzy can barely get hits with grime songs, see 'Sounds Of The Skeng'. x

+Quote this post
UKL
post 12th July 2020, 06:08 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 109,581

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jul 11 2020, 01:26 PM) *
British hip-hop is extremely prevalent right now - Stormzy, AJ Tracey, Aitch, Dave, etc have all become big names, for example.

Looking at other genres, the top 40 has Harry Styles, 220 KID, Joel Corry, Nathan Dawe, Dua Lipa, Little Mix and Becky Hill representing British music right now! Not to mention Lewis Capaldi just outside who's been one of the biggest breakthrough artists globally in the past 18 months.

Was going to reply, but this guy has said pretty much what I was going to say.

Spot on.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 12th July 2020, 09:02 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(SKOB @ Jul 11 2020, 09:05 PM) *
Adele is the best thing to come from the UK in the new millennium. 1D are the second best. Both are examples of classic British talent.

‘Best thing’ is subjective though, perhaps you mean most successful? There is a British music scene but these days the best of it usually doesn’t touch the charts, in my opinion.

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 12th July 2020, 09:03 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Jul 11 2020, 04:06 PM) *

I would call them pop stars. Definitely Leona Lewis, Jessie J and Jess Glynne.

With those American pop stars you talk about, they've been specifically trained and groomed since childhood to be pop stars. A lot of people don't know this, but it's true.

This post has been edited by Eric_Blob: 12th July 2020, 09:04 AM

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 12th July 2020, 11:31 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457

QUOTE(SKOB @ Jul 11 2020, 02:51 PM) *
The language plays a huge role. In countries where English is not the mother tongue, the music scene is much more local.

not really, a lot of non english speaking countries listen mostly to english language music...

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 12th July 2020, 11:37 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

British artists have always released the best music in the world, the only problem is marketing & exposure & promotion..thats why many artists with amazing discographies have failed to make a considerable impact outside of the UK...
on the other hand american artists are promoted more and exposed more through social media, & streaming platforms, which helps them get wide exposure...

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 12th July 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

there are good artists everywhere, UK, US, Ireland, Iceland, everywhere
saying th UK has the best in the world is a big over-statement I couldn't disagree more about

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 12th July 2020, 04:48 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jul 12 2020, 02:42 PM) *
there are good artists everywhere, UK, US, Ireland, Iceland, everywhere
saying th UK has the best in the world is a big over-statement I couldn't disagree more about

as a non british person, i can be more objective and i think the UK has given the world the best & the most popular music ever, The Beatles, Rolling Stones,Queen, Bee Gees, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, George Michael, Adele, Rod Stewart, Spice Girls, Elton John etc i could go on and on , so u get my point....

This post has been edited by Dark Horse: 12th July 2020, 04:49 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 06:15 PM