BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Favourite NON-Top 20 Hit of 2014 - RESULTS, It's time
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 7th February 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #21
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I never really understood the hype around 'Children Of The Universe', it would have been nice if it could live up to it but I feel like people only thought it was 'the right song' because it wasn't by an old person. We still have the potential to do well in ESC as proven by Jade Ewen and (to some extent) Blue.

I feel like most of the songs at the top of my list are gone already - FAAAAR too low for Vic Mensa, Chris Malinchak and Shift K3Y (I was expecting it for the latter two, but I thought Vic would have done a lot better than that).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 7th February 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

Criminal that Down on My Luck, Turn Down For What and I Know are so low down - all great songs.

Alive is quality too - Jacob Banks's vocals are so rich!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 7th February 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

12. Jessie Ware - Tough Love

Score: 85

Peak: 34
Top 40 weeks: 1

Stats:
Number of votes: 17
Highest score: +10 - Hayzayy & Paramore

Average score per voter: 5 (18th)
Average score overall: 2.24

Just making the top half it's Jessie Ware again this time with lead single from aforementioned album. This was the track that finally landed her her first top 40 hit after a couple of unlucky near misses the previous couple of years which perhaps righted a chart wrong. However as I mentioned in Say You Love Me's excerpt I found this much weaker and quite a boring track in all honesty. I quite like the minimalist production but otherwise it's rather forgettable. This has done very well in the final round as it narrowly made it through its Group (whereas Say You Love Me sailed through with ease) and yet it finishes four positions and nine points ahead here, most likely due to the 17 votes and two scores of +10.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 7th February 2015, 11:10 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 7th February 2015, 11:26 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

11. Saturdays - What Are You Waiting For?

Score: 89

Peak: 38

Stats:
Number of votes: 14
Highest score: +10 - Herbs, JosephStyles, Lee_J11 & Taylor Jago

Average score per voter: 6.36 (3rd)
Average score overall: 2.34

So the act finishing in the unlucky 11th position is Buzzjack's favourite The Saturdays with their only new single from their Greatest Hits compilation. This may seen as a surprise outcome somewhat given their popularity here but I recall it receiving a very divided opinion even from their most ardent fans so perhaps not so much. I personally dismissed this initially as it sounded way too generic and a bit of a step backwards for them but grew to really enjoy it for what it was in time. The rather monotonous verses were a bit off-putting but overlooking that it's still a fun, infectious track with a summery feel. This extended their highly impressive run of 18 straight top 40 singles (although became only their second to miss the top 20) and with its very high average score per voter rank and four scores of +10 (only one track managed more) it was still greatly loved by several participants.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 7th February 2015, 11:26 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 7th February 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

So here are your top ten. Results will be continued (and finished) tomorrow!
  • Beyoncé - XO
  • Charli XCX - Break The Rules
  • HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind
  • Katy Perry - This Is How We Do
  • Kiesza - No Enemiesz
  • Lana Del Rey - West Coast
  • London Grammar - Hey Now
  • Lorde - Team
  • Milky Chance - Stolen Dance
  • Years & Years - Desire

+Quote this post
FleetSeb
post 8th February 2015, 01:18 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 17,989

Alive is way too low, probably in my top 3 chase & status songs. Rooting for Beyonce, London Grammar and Lorde now.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 8th February 2015, 08:23 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

ooh, 6 I voted for and I like 3 of the others, good result happy.gif (Except Vic Mensa is still too low)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th February 2015, 11:37 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

10. Katy Perry - This Is How We Do

Score: 94

Peak: 33
Top 40 weeks: 4

Stats:
Number of votes: 15
Highest score: +9 - Hayzayy, Nick F1 & Riser

Average score per voter: 6.27 (5th)
Average score overall: 2.47

Into the top ten now we find Katy Perry with fifth release from Prism, This Is How We Do. I really don't see any appeal to this track whatsoever, it's really tepid and presumably just sold on name alone. Perhaps Katy's at that stage of her career where she can just sing one note over and over and still get a hit. Nevertheless it was still the first release of hers to miss the top 30 in the UK but saying that five hits from an album is no easy feat either. I would have much preferred Birthday being here over this but it clearly still garnered strong love with only 15 votes but a top ten position overall.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 8th February 2015, 11:51 AM
Post #29
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

WAYWF isn't bad, but I much prefer their Not Giving Up. I think because it seems to be missing something... thinking.gif
ohmy.gif
I quite like This Is How We Do, more than Birthday, however I really love the Cash Cash Remix of Birthday, for anyone who loves dance music and thinks that Birthday is missing something smile.gif

This post has been edited by §ţiŋŋiŋğ Ĺđɑм: 8th February 2015, 11:51 AM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th February 2015, 11:58 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

9. Kiesza - No Enemiesz

Peak: 30

Stats:
Number of votes: 20
Highest score: +10 - Dobbo

Average score per voter: 4.7 (21st)

Another song on 94 points now with Kiesza and her third release from debut album Sound Of A Woman. This is a track I truly love and it deserved so much better than a one-week scrape of the top 30. I've loved all of her singles so far and whilst her first two were of a similar vein this one incorporated slightly different house elements but the end result was still a superbly crafted record. It underperformed slightly here as to what I was expecting given how well it scored in the Group stages but with 20 votes in total it had its fair share of fans ranging from casual to adoring.

Note: Finishes above This Is How We Do due to receiving a +10 score. (P.S. you're welcome wink.gif)

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 8th February 2015, 11:58 AM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th February 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

8. London Grammar - Hey Now

Peak: 37
Top 40 weeks: 2

Stats:
Number of votes: 16
Highest score: +10 - jafetsigfinns

Average score per voter: 5.88 (10th)

Finishing in 8th position it's London Grammar with their third top 40 hit from critically acclaimed debut album If You Wait. I'd certainly describe this song as very soothing and Hannah Reid's haunting vocals really accentuate the type of style they've gone for (as with previous releases). For me it's not as good as the sublime Strong but it was still a nice change of pace in the charts for a couple of weeks. Despite not winning Group A it's the highest placing track from it in the final, leaving five from Group B and two from Group C. This was also near inseparable from No Enemiesz, with the same number of +10's (one each) and +9's (none each), having to go to +8 scores to see who edged it.

Note: Finishes above No Enemiesz due to receiving more +8 scores (two more).

+Quote this post
mack25
post 8th February 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,226

What a great top 8 dance.gif ...

Very happy Katy Perry & Kiesza are at the low end of the top 10!! yahoo.gif
I hope Charli XCX and Years & Years or Milky Chance are #7 and #6 respectively - prefer 'Stolen Dance' to be top 5 cause it was released earlier and deserves it more!!

...Beyonce, Haim and Lana for the top 3 with Lorde #4!
Predictions: #3 Beyonce #2 Lana Del Rey #1 HAIM
(HAIM deserve it, but I would still be happy if Lana or Beyoncé won)

This post has been edited by mack25: 8th February 2015, 12:34 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th February 2015, 12:39 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

7. Charli XCX - Break The Rules

Score: 101

Peak: 35

Stats:
Number of votes: 17
Highest score: +10 - Jason, N-S & Nick F1

Average score per voter: 5.94 (8th)
Average score overall: 2.66

First of the +100 scorers now it's Charli XCX with second release from still upcoming album Sucker. When I first heard this I thought it was alright but a bit disappointing after the fantastic Boom Clap. Then I just found it incredibly annoying so wasn't exactly vexed when it comparatively flopped. It's catchy enough I'll give it that but the lyrics are a bit childish and the instrumental becomes a bit tiresome on repeated listens. Follow up Doing It isn't much better and we anxiously wait to see how that performs. However with three +10's it amassed some love and a finish in the top third is the resulting outcome.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 8th February 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #34
Group icon

No Enemiesz is a great song as well biggrin.gif
But still Hideaway remains to be the only chart successful Kiesza song sad.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th February 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

6. Beyoncé - XO

Score: 107

Peak: 22
Top 40 weeks: 8

Stats:
Number of votes: 19
Highest score: +10 - HausofKubrick, Jonjo & scratchy23

Average score per voter: 5.63 (12th)
Average score overall: 2.82

Just outside the top 5 we find Beyoncé with her track from eponymously titled fifth album XO. Beyoncé's recent output (or at least that from her last two albums) has been very hit and miss for me but this was certainly a hit. I really like the vocal melody throughout this and it was nice to hear just a pure pop track from her after some questionable efforts in Run The World & Drunk In Love. This track had the most top 40 weeks of all in this final so could be considered the unluckiest to miss the top 20. It certainly had the feel of a slow and steady burner without a "pinnacle week" as such. It received 19 votes in the final, exactly half of the total number of voters so it seems to be generally well received. Many of the votes were lower scores however so it doesn't quite make the top 5 here.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 8th February 2015, 01:04 PM
Post #36
Group icon

I love Break The Rules! cheer.gif
Hoping Doing It doesn't repeat the flop unsure.gif

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 8th February 2015, 01:09 PM
Post #37
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Feb 8 2015, 12:37 PM) *
10. Katy Perry - This Is How We Do
Into the top ten now we find Katy Perry with fifth release from Prism, This Is How We Do. I really don't see any appeal to this track whatsoever, it's really tepid and presumably just sold on name alone. Perhaps Katy's at that stage of her career where she can just sing one note over and over and still get a hit. Nevertheless it was still the first release of hers to miss the top 30 in the UK but saying that five hits from an album is no easy feat either. I would have much preferred Birthday being here over this but it clearly still garnered strong love with only 15 votes but a top ten position overall.

Neither do I. The only single from the album I really liked was Dark Horse.

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 8th February 2015, 01:12 PM
Post #38
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Feb 8 2015, 02:01 PM) *
6. Beyoncé - XO
Just outside the top 5 we find Beyoncé with her track from eponymously titled fifth album XO. Beyoncé's recent output (or at least that from her last two albums) has been very hit and miss for me but this was certainly a hit. I really like the vocal melody throughout this and it was nice to hear just a pure pop track from her after some questionable efforts in Run The World & Drunk In Love. This track had the most top 40 weeks of all in this final so could be considered the unluckiest to miss the top 20. It certainly had the feel of a slow and steady burner without a "pinnacle week" as such. It received 19 votes in the final, exactly half of the total number of voters so it seems to be generally well received. Many of the votes were lower scores however so it doesn't quite make the top 5 here.

Agreed, I really like XO, but hate Drunk In Love and 7/11.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 8th February 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #39
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I never realized that "No Enemiesz" had a video, oops

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th February 2015, 02:47 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

5. Years & Years - Desire

Score: 111

Peak: 22
Top 40 weeks: 2

Stats:
Number of votes: 21
Highest score: +9 - ETH▲N, N-S & SevenSeize

Average score per voter: 5.29 (16th)
Average score overall: 2.92

Coming home in an impressive fifth position it's London band Years & Years with their first hit as lead artists, Desire. They had already featured on a top ten single earlier last year (namely The Magician's Sunlight) and their follow up narrowly missed out on the top 20, being denied by streaming. This is a decent track, with a catchy hook and distinctive electronica elements but it's lacking a certain spark for me to fully hop on board. Fortunately their upcoming follow up single King is a far superior track and looks set to massively outperform this record. Still, in this rank it finishes as the highest placed dance track and picked up 21 total votes in the final (only outdone by one track). This was also the highest ranked song to not receive a single +10 but there were plenty of high scores enough to see it land in the top five.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 8th February 2015, 02:49 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 12:26 AM