BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Fiona Apple "Fetch The Bolt Cutters", 17th April | 5th album
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
mdh
post Apr 16 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
Not sure if she has many fans on here, but Fiona Apple releases the long-awaited follow up to 2012's "The Idler Wheel" at midnight - named "Fetch The Bolt Cutters".

Just listened to the record through an mp3, it's phenomenal. A more experimental and abrasive style to her previous works - early indications are that this'll be one of the most acclaimed records of the year.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Apr 17 2020, 05:32 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
the queen of Alt-Pop-Rock is back with her first album in forever
amazingly she's not chicken out like Gaga but released without a physical during the virus pandemic cos thats what fans need

of course Pitchfork went and gave it a 10!!!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/fiona-...e-bolt-cutters/

sure the opening of the review will make people go check it:
Fiona Apple’s fifth record is unbound, a wildstyle symphony of the everyday, an unyielding masterpiece. No music has ever sounded quite like it.

This post has been edited by Bjork: Apr 17 2020, 05:34 AM

+Quote this post
Monzo
post Apr 17 2020, 06:47 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349
I'm a huge fan, but I haven't listened to the album yet. Wanna do it in a good, calm moment to really enjoy it. Hope they send some song from it to radio stations or is there no single material on it?

+Quote this post
mdh
post Apr 17 2020, 07:38 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry6502895

Someone please merge this with my thread in the pop forum. This is definitely an art pop album.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Apr 17 2020, 07:41 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
this is zero pop, zero, Fiona Apple has never been pop, she's 100% alternative

+Quote this post
mdh
post Apr 17 2020, 07:52 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Bjork @ Apr 17 2020, 08:41 AM) *
this is zero pop, zero, Fiona Apple has never been pop, she's 100% alternative

1) you called her “alt-pop-rock” in your first post
2) even Wikipedia states her genres as “Art pop & baroque pop“

Either way, someone please merge my original thread with this please.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Apr 17 2020, 07:59 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(mdh @ Apr 17 2020, 08:52 AM) *
1) you called her “alt-pop-rock” in your first post
2) even Wikipedia states her genres as “Art pop & baroque pop“

Either way, someone please merge my original thread with this please.

Fiona Apple belongs in this forum. Baroque pop is a particular fusion of classical music and rock.

I’m shocked that Pitchfork actually went and rewarded another album with ten! It’s literally been a decade. I’m very excited to delve into this today.

+Quote this post
mdh
post Apr 17 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
This is my album of the year by far so far... phenomenal songwriting and the incorporation of household items as instruments is innovative and wonderfully quirky. HUGE album.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Apr 17 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #9
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
Perfect 10 on P4K!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 17 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I had a listen this afternoon, it's very much a continuation of her usual work. It didn't strike me as being substantially better than a normal Fiona album but I often find the songs creep up on me after 3 or 4 listens.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Apr 17 2020, 06:47 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
The 10/10 from P4K was a bit too much, however, I love the album and I think it'll grow over time even more.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post Apr 18 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643
I made the mistake of giving this a first listen in the background whilst working, and I didn't enjoy it much at all, though appreciated its quality.

Given it a 2nd listen today whilst paying proper attention and I got a lot more out of it. It's a good, very interesting piece of work with some very strong lyrics. I think "Heavy Balloon" might be a particular highlight for me, alongside "Under The Table"?

This post has been edited by Tangela: Apr 18 2020, 09:58 AM

+Quote this post
Colm
post Apr 18 2020, 02:39 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
Listening to this now. Reviews have been outstanding with some commentators questioning if it's the best album that they have ever heard.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 19 2020, 07:12 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Listened to this twice and not getting the hype it’s generated at all although I’ve never been a huge fan of Fiona. The reviews are working though - up to #2 on iTunes.

+Quote this post
jonny
post Apr 20 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #15
Group icon
i would beg to disagree but begging disagrees with me
User: 3,646
I think that, when an artist like Apple releases something, considering the fandom and adoration she gleans, there is always likely to be an outpouring of positive reviews, especially from the likes of p4k.

I'm on my first listen atm and I do get the hype. I think it's really interesting, lyrically, and sounds like something which I will listen to again.

There are parts of it which remind me of Camille, actually. If you like this album you should check out 'Music Hole', especially the song 'Money Note', from Camille.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Apr 21 2020, 11:38 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
The perfect 10 is definitely a bit OTT but this is a hugely striking album! It definitely demands your attention, I feel like I'm gonna want to take more listens and it's gonna have new things jumping out at me all the time. There's so much and so little there at the same time which is the magic of this album.

+Quote this post
imaduck
post Apr 21 2020, 05:12 PM
Post #17
Group icon
(i've been drinking)
User: 18,675
Y'all are tripping, this album is incredible. Her lyricism is completely unparalelled. I must be about 15 listens deep and I still feel like i'm scratching the surface.

"I resent you for being raised right
I resent you for being tall
I resent you for never getting any opposition at all
I resent you for having each other
I resent you for being so sure
I resent you for presenting your life, like a f***ing propaganda brochure"

"I'd like to buy you a pair of pillow-soled hiking boots
To help you with your climb
Or rather, to help the bodies that you step over along your route
So they won't hurt like mine"

I dare anyone to give this there full attention and not be completely overwhelmed by it.

This post has been edited by imaduck: Apr 21 2020, 05:13 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Apr 21 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I Want You To Love Me is f***ing incredible

+Quote this post
Jade
post Apr 22 2020, 08:47 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
So I've just gone into this completely blind as all I knew about Fiona is that she's the lady behind the album with the very long title kink.gif But I was intrigued by all the critical acclaim and posts on here. So I hit play this morning in the background while working and wow, I'm seriously impressed! I feel like I'm only scratching the surface as I haven't been able to give it my full attention yet but I can already sense that it's so raw, captivating and full of layers. The lyrics of 'Relay' (as pointed out by ducky above) and 'For Her' particularly slapped me round the face, wow. I started making a list of my favourite songs but eventually gave up as there was too many lol. I think my overarching favourite from listen 1 is 'Relay' though. I've felt compelled enough to put it on again and it's still only background listening! Looking forward to getting completely immersed later for listen #3. Unless I just end up spamming it further during my working hours so it's way more than listen #3. Ahh I'm so glad that I was curious about this now. Looks like I'm going to have to delve into her back catalogue at some point!

+Quote this post
imaduck
post Apr 22 2020, 08:59 AM
Post #20
Group icon
(i've been drinking)
User: 18,675
QUOTE(Jade 🐠 @ Apr 22 2020, 09:47 AM) *
So I've just gone into this completely blind as all I knew about Fiona is that she's the lady behind the album with the very long title kink.gif But I was intrigued by all the critical acclaim and posts on here. So I hit play this morning in the background while working and wow, I'm seriously impressed! I feel like I'm only scratching the surface as I haven't been able to give it my full attention yet but I can already sense that it's so raw, captivating and full of layers. The lyrics of 'Relay' (as pointed out by ducky above) and 'For Her' particularly slapped me round the face, wow. I started making a list of my favourite songs but eventually gave up as there were too many lol. I think my overarching favourite from listen 1 is 'Relay' though. I've felt compelled enough to put it on again and it's still only background listening! Looking forward to getting completely immersed later for listen #3. Unless I just end up spamming it further during my working hours so it's way more than listen #3. Ahh I'm so glad that I was curious about this now. Looks like I'm going to have to delve into her back catalogue at some point!

Welcome aboard the torture that is being a Fiona Apple fan! Unfortunately I've been here for three albums AKA nearly 20 years...

If you do go through the back catalogue either start right from the beggining.

OR

Go back to The Idler Wheel first (the most similar to Bolt Cutters) and then go back to the start. She gets better with every album.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:12 AM