BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Most Surprising Success Vs. Most Surprising Flop, Which of your own entries surprised you the most?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
calxyum
post Monday, 09:06 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,799

For me, para mi: the song that shocked me the most by doing so well was CHUNG HA & R3HAB’s ‘Dream Of You’ because I don’t remember seeing a single lick of hype for it, only for it to finish in 5th place and top it’s semi with the most points of any song that contest!

The song that I was most surprised DNQ’d has to be Irina Rimes & David Goldcher’s ‘Laisse tomber les filles’. After an eight-contest-long Q streak I was 100% sure that this would extend it, alas it was not meant to be. However it did come v close to making it through.

What about you lovely lot?

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
uhsting
post Monday, 09:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Eboman - Hit The Streets qualifying cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png

We're 'bout to hit the streets!

Still not over at ICONIC! and Seize The Power as I thought both were locked-in Qs kink.gif

+Quote this post
Linds.
post Monday, 09:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

Seize The Power is gooooood BUT there are better Yonaka songs from that era (I'm re-obsessed with Greedy)

Every Taahino entry is a surprise underperformer x

Chinchilla should have done better for Askorza, same with Brat from New Lexico, Gravedigger for Aeroche and Green Honda for Klum

I don't remember any of those positions but they didn't win so laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Cow P
post Monday, 09:16 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Cowcow no Frieren
User: 127,479

Aina Abdul qualifying is certainly surprising for us when we had whole lots of better entries. wink.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Monday, 09:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Zanmatony's most surprising success: High Pulp feat. MonoNeon – Never In My Short Sweet Life {BJSC 163}
Honestly, not a genre we venture into, in fact few other nations do either, but this instrumental jazz electronica entry not only qualified but finished inside the Top 20 in the final too. It was one of the most unexpected qualifiers of our time in BJSC.

Zanmatony's most surprising flop: Skindred – Gimme That Boom {BJSC 158}
Defining a flop in this instance as a non-qualifier, and this 21st placed entry was not enough to make it through to the final last year. It felt like a quite assured entry that would stand out, but it was one we had too much invested in doing well.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Monday, 09:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Most surprising success:

One of my early winners, Uh Huh Her caught me off guard, it had very low odds at the time. Freya and Dzivia both came second - maybe looking back they seem like more obvious hits, but I feared DNQs at the time for both, because piano ballads basically never do well here (but then this particular one did later become a huge UK hit) and I just didn't know BuzzJack would embrace a brooding nine minute folk track.

Most surprising flop:

I thought all three of these would be top ten or better, and they were all DNQs.

+Quote this post
Riser
post Tuesday, 02:12 AM
Post #7
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I think all of my top 10s were predictable to some degree, I'll say most surprising is a tie between 'Road Less Traveled' (it's country but did have huge pop appeal) and 'Where Do We Go From Here?' (big crossover appeal but no one thought it would win, especially not me!)

My most surprising flop will probably always be 'Already There', an early contender that ended up 21st in the semi </3

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Tuesday, 09:12 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Most surprising success came very recently for Dobago in the form of Pharmacist - OVERDO$E in 157. Several DNQ preds but went on to finish top 10.

Most surprising flop, to me at least, remains Tom Budin & Luciana - X With U from 101. Sounded sonically similar (sibilance yessss) to another Dobago top 10 which came a year later but didn't even qualify.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: Tuesday, 09:12 AM

+Quote this post
Herbs
post Tuesday, 09:50 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

I'm only a couple of contests in, but biggest surprises for me have been:

* Getting a maximum point vote in my first semi-final
* Coming 15th in my first final and then finding out I barely scraped into the final (18th place) with 'Hometown of Jupiter' by The Vaccines

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Tuesday, 06:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

for most surprising success:

Probably one of the ones where I just sent it to send it somewhere bc I wanted it to grace people's ears, certainly didn't expect a top 10 and I wasn't even sure it would quality but I guess sounding like Porter Robinson has its perks! 😅

Coming off of Sleepy Tom I didn't think it would do as well as it did. Trance still could produce good results but I really wasn't expecting a medal position laugh.gif

I was definitely skeptical about this; K-pop had only just gotten out of a dry spell in terms of BJSC results and even with EVERGLOW's past success I was still skeptical that it could do well. It winning was definitely a shock but really glad it cemented itself to be the first K-pop winner

If only just because it beat Eliza Rose. It's probably one of the most overshadowed winners now sad.gif

Not even sure if odds were posted for this contest but Bava was literally NOWHERE in the odds laugh.gif so this picking up a random top 10 was a nice surprise

-

for most surprising flops:

It took a 1BF anniversary spinoff for this to actually get the final treatment and y'all still don't get it, no wonder I tried to go cheap after this

ngl I thought this one was gonna do decently and then it flopped on its ass

The start of my villain arc. Very telling that SICKOTOY only flopped with me yet went top 20 when someone else sent them thinking.gif I could honestly put every hit after this besides Erika Vikman, U.S. Girls & LOWES in "most surprising hits"

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 11:45 AM