BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 13 Reasons Why • Season 3, 23/08/19
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
lewistgreen
post 14th August 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
New trailer alert! Just over a week to go!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th August 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #22
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
I just want the soundtrack out for new 5SOS and Yungblud tongue.gif

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 23rd August 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837
Yeah this is just as bad as S2, if not worse. So incoherent, all over the place, brand new narrator who somehow everyone seems to know and trust and tell everything despite being new in town. I have no idea whether a scene is in the past or the present. I don't think I'll be finishing this season after the first two episodes left me so underwhelmed.

Some people on Reddit were saying that apparently there are no big twists this season and nothing stands out. It's just like every other teen drama show now but as I haven't watched it myself I'm not sure if that's true.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 27th August 2019, 09:44 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585
I literally hated every single character this season laugh.gif gah. Nora Walker was great as expected and Justin's story was probably my fave of the running storylines... but yeah, the season just felt flat. Did we really need Ani at all? unsure.gif, she just felt like a shoehorned Hannah replacement. I also really wished they explored Monty as a character a bit more, there was so much potential with his background than just brief glimpses in 2 episodes nocheer.gif
As for Bryce's killer? Meh.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 28th August 2019, 08:41 AM
Post #25
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
It's been less than a week, please use spoiler tags huns

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 28th August 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #26
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176
i basically forced myself to watch it out of boredom, still of the opinion that they should have ended it after season one. Netflix really have a talent for giving us unlikable lead characters but jfc i hated most of the characters aside from alex, jess and justin. Ani is completely detestable, why was she even needed?

what i did like was how they focussed on Bryce wanting to change. i really went into the season with the opinion that he was a piece of shit who got what was coming to him but by the end i was thinking it was a shame he didn't get his second chance. im glad they didn't let us forget what he'd done and it wasnt so much redeeming him but showing that people can better themselves and its not always all good or all bad. i aways appreciate when a show is willing to explore that kind of grey area and they did a decent job. was it perfect? no, there's a lot anyone can criticise still but it wasn't completely dire.

i think they could have told the story differently tho. they should have had jess narrating it and told it from her perspective bc having this annoying randomer added nothing. jess had been through a similar thing to hannah but survived it, her story is more important than ani who was supposed to be "special" bc she saw the "broken" bryce and was one of the few that could love the rapist but jfc rolleyes.gif

the highlights of the season for me were when tyler opened up to clay and jessica, fantastic acting from all minus clay, especially the guy playing tyler.

the ending... i was bored after a couple of episodes so i spoiled it for myself bc sometimes if i know the end result it makes me interested on how they get to it throughout the season but i didnt really have strong feelings about it either way like it was fine? i think their whole narrative of everyone deserves a second chance was lost as soon as they pinned it on monty and killed him off in prison bc just like bryce he had issues at home and was struggling with his sexuality (not that these are excuses or justifications for what he did) but he was still innocent of bryces murder at least and his story might have been an interesting one to tell, especially with winston now being part of it and his dad knowing he was gay. I think he should have been punished for tyler (and not killed off) but just like bryce he now also doesn't have the chance to better himself and ofc yet another case of a queer character being killed after accepting themself a bit more. he's still a horrible person who did disgusting things but yea why was bryce more deserving of redemption when they're both as bad as each other? perhaps bc bryce was rich, straight and white?

i wonder if there will be a 4th season focussed around monty and winston/others trying to clear his name?
idk if i could hack another season related to bryce tho kink.gif

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 28th August 2019, 12:05 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I think this is very telling for this show lol.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 30th August 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
Season 3 now 7% on Rotten Tomatoes ohmy.gif mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 30th August 2019, 09:40 PM
Post #29
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176
its getting a lot of backlash for centering it all around sympathising with a rapist and an attempted school shooter which i can understan entirely because it does kinda have the narrative of "we can understand why you did or tried to do this horrific thing because you've been through this, this and this" which isn't good as it does kinda justify things that should be unspeakable... but i also do see how they were trying to mame it a story about change and bettering yourself and learning from your mistakes etc

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 31st August 2019, 12:56 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(linds @ Aug 30 2019, 09:40 PM) *
its getting a lot of backlash for centering it all around sympathising with a rapist and an attempted school shooter which i can understan entirely because it does kinda have the narrative of "we can understand why you did or tried to do this horrific thing because you've been through this, this and this" which isn't good as it does kinda justify things that should be unspeakable... but i also do see how they were trying to mame it a story about change and bettering yourself and learning from your mistakes etc

Additionally the only bad person they don't seem to try to humanise in this season is the closeted gay guy (Monty) lol. This season is just messy in every meaning of the word.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 31st August 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
Ani is surely one of the worst characters in ANY tv series EVER mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 5th September 2020, 08:04 PM
Post #32
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
I've finally finished watching season 3 (I'm forcing myself to watch it all so that it's finally ticked off my list), and I'm... lost.

My main problem with the whole season is that even after everything's unfolded, nothing's really changed? Of course Monty's now dead, but they didn't even attempt to try and explore his background beyond a couple of throwaway scenes with his dad, or pay any attention to him coming to terms with his sexuality. All of it was merely for shock value or creating a scene that, on the surface looks aesthetically good ('oh here's a gay sex scene with two hot actors, surely the fans will want that'). None of the characters are in a better or worse position than they were at the end of the second season.

I'm really confused at the approach they took with all the flashbacks too, trying to make us sympathise with Bryce on his journey to redemption / trying to better himself. Are we supposed to be at peace with the fact that somebody who has openly admitted to raping almost ten girls over x amount of time can actually change, or wants to be a better person, but isn't given the chance to because they're killed before they can? I think the only theme that explores is white male privilege.

Of course, what Monty did too was horrific and the scenes where Tyler confided in Clay and Jessica were the two most emotional in the entire season, but they have Monty do what he did at the end of season 2, leave him in the background for most of season 3, explore his sexuality very little in the middle of the season, and then in the final episode have him finally begin to accept it just a tiny bit more than he did before, only to go and say he was killed in prison and use him as a scapegoat to get out of having to deal with one of the other main characters (who makes barely any impact on the rest of the show) being rightly punished. Again, I would've been confused if they *did* focus too much on him coming to terms with his sexuality and then flourishing as a result, because that would then be us sympathising with one of these awful characters again in the same way they wanted us to with Bryce, but for a character like Monty it should have been far more important for them to properly explore the storyline instead of what we did get which was half-arsed.

I actually didn't mind Ani either - some of the comments about her are very extreme. Yeah, she was merely a plot device to keep things moving and the narrative flowing, all leading up to all of them banding together at the end and going with her version of events to keep Alex out of trouble, but as a character alone she's not that offensive? The one character I do find absolutely infuriating though is Clay. So awful, and I can never root for him.

The highlights of the season were Justin and Jessica though. Jessica just keeps getting stronger, and it's heartbreaking to still see Justin struggle so much, and then learning more about his childhood too. He's a TV character that just needs to be protected at all costs lmao. I've seen a couple of spoilers about what happens to him in season 4, so I'm hoping they manage not to fuck his story up.

Overall, very meh and questionable.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 5th September 2020, 10:56 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I enjoyed 13 Reasons Why quite a lot as a show tbh.

But I’d 1 and 4 were the show at its peak.

3 was an improvement on 2 though.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:07 PM