BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
82 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Brexit: auf wiedersehen.. ?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
blacksquare
post 18th October 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(Klaus @ Oct 18 2019, 12:52 PM) *
So less than 5% of the deal has been renegotiated but, if it passes, of course we know who gets all the glory

Not quite a renegotiation either — he just said yes to what Theresa May had already turned down. But she was the weak one.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th October 2019, 12:11 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

And yet people like common sense are falling over themselves to praise him rotf.gif He is easily the weakest prime minister we've ever had. Churchill? Pfft. He's one out. He's a Chamberlain, but much worse and far far more corrupt.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 18th October 2019, 12:16 PM
Post #43
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Hes a man and if he's shitty so what. He validates people who are shitty.

He's the pinnacle of low effort winning and that's the kind of people he validates. Harsh but true.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 18th October 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

FT is suggesting that the deal might just get over the line.

Will have to see if Labour imposes a 3-line whip to stop its northern MPs supporting the deal. It would be win/win-win for Corbyn if that's the case - if the deal fails, he'll get the credit. If it passes, then he gets to kick out those less loyal to him, plus he gets UK out of the EU, which we all know he secretly supports.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th October 2019, 01:31 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

I just don't understand why they are supportong a worse deal just necause it's presented by an authoritarian man! rotf.gif Any Labou4 mp that votes for it needs to be kicked out immediately.

So say this failure of a surrender deal passes. Could Bojo then say other negotiations down the line have failed and default on a no deal, which is what his backers want?

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 18th October 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

I've been saying it since before the referendum and occasionally since then - people are not as rational as they believe themselves to be, and it doesn't take much to nudge someone in your direction. And if you think that you're completely free of irrational decision making, then you are a liar. I know I'm prone to it.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 18th October 2019, 01:39 PM
Post #47
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Oct 18 2019, 02:23 PM) *

Of course the banter if it gets over the line by 1 vote will be that Norman Lamb, a Liberal Democrat, effectively provided that 1 vote.

Good luck Jo Swinson selling that on the doorstep. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 18th October 2019, 01:39 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

How many of the independent conservatives are going to support the deal though? I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few abstains. From what I understand those labour members who have said they will vote for the deal are coming under pressure from the party to abstain instead. The vote tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

Hopefully a second referendum amendment will be attached to it.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th October 2019, 01:46 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Exactly. I seriously doubt all of them will vote for the deal after being PURGED rotf.gif Add a few of them to no, plus some Labour abstentions as they don't want to be barred from ever standing again, and there you have it. The best bet is this v remain in a confirmatory referendum.

That email from that clueless Labour mp above is just rotf.gif There were no plans for brexshit, and so a confirmatory referendum to check the deal IS what some people voted for, is 100% a necessity in a democracy. This is especially true because the little that WAS offered, a Norway deal, is not this.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th October 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Oct 18 2019, 02:23 PM) *

Will have to see if Labour imposes a 3-line whip to stop its northern MPs supporting the deal. It would be win/win-win for Corbyn if that's the case - if the deal fails, he'll get the credit. If it passes, then he gets to kick out those less loyal to him, plus he gets UK out of the EU, which we all know he secretly supports.

She is wrong in her first paragraph, and that's without commenting on the missing apostrophe. Her duty is to act in the interests of her constituents. That is not the same as representing their views. If MPs were mere delegates, there wouldn't be much point on having them.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th October 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Trick Or Queef! @ Oct 18 2019, 02:46 PM) *
Exactly. I seriously doubt all of them will vote for the deal after being PURGED rotf.gif Add a few of them to no, plus some Labour abstentions as they don't want to be barred from ever standing again, and there you have it. The best bet is this v remain in a confirmatory referendum.

That email from that clueless Labour mp above is just rotf.gif There were no plans for brexshit, and so a confirmatory referendum to check the deal IS what some people voted for, is 100% a necessity in a democracy. This is especially true because the little that WAS offered, a Norway deal, is not this.

Her point about there not being another referendum if Remain had won is particularly stupid. Remain voters implicitly voted for the status quo. Leave voters voted for a vague "something else". Under legislation passed by the coalition, any significant change in our relationship with the EU would be subject to a referendum. That would have included a government interpreting a Remain vote as a vote for "Hard Remain", i.e. joining the euro and Schengen.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th October 2019, 01:59 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Not to mention Farage screaming that a split decision win, specifically a 52/48 he mentioned, would "not be finished business".

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 18th October 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Oct 18 2019, 02:36 PM) *
I've been saying it since before the referendum and occasionally since then - people are not as rational as they believe themselves to be, and it doesn't take much to nudge someone in your direction. And if you think that you're completely free of irrational decision making, then you are a liar. I know I'm prone to it.

This is why hastily deciding something this important over a weekend, without proper scrutiny, is ridiculous. They're not even having a full day of debate.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th October 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Oct 18 2019, 03:07 PM) *
This is why hastily deciding something this important over a weekend, without proper scrutiny, is ridiculous. They're not even having a full day of debate.

This.

No proper debates, no scrutiny, just rammed through parliament. I really don't get why the opposition let a MINORIT GOVERNMENT do things like this when they have the numbers to rule from the opposition?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th October 2019, 02:13 PM
Post #55
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

It would be alright if this deal passes subject to a confirmatory referendum. I know we don't go in for much with what we actually want these days, but it would make up for the unicorns and all manner of nonsense making up Brexit now Brexit has coalesced into reality.

It's also the only way, if it is going to happen, that I don't see us folding back into the EU at the next available opportunity. The narrative is there once it all goes to shit, we just need some finger-pointers to make it real. A successful Brexit on confirmatory vote would make it far harder for that narrative to exist.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th October 2019, 02:32 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Today's coverage sums up one of the worst things about journalism today. Nearly all of it is about whether the deal will get through. There is relatively little about the details of the deal and the question of whether it deserves to be passed. So, a lack of scrutiny by the media and a lack of time for MPs to do their job and hold the government to account. What a way to run a country.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 18th October 2019, 03:23 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/o...-scottish-court

Liberty fails in legal bid aimed at preventing no-deal Brexit

Court of appeal unanimously rejects request for urgent hearing before Commons vote

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 18th October 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Priti Patel having a trainwreck of an interview on LBC. Attempting to mislead that the withdrawal agreement is a trade agreement, not answering whether no-deal could happen by default next year, and so on. Terrible.

It's interesting how the full economic impact assessment, which exists, won't be published until after the vote.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th October 2019, 05:05 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Oct 18 2019, 05:59 PM) *
Priti Patel having a trainwreck of an interview on LBC. Attempting to mislead that the withdrawal agreement is a trade agreement, not answering whether no-deal could happen by default next year, and so on. Terrible.

It's interesting how the full economic impact assessment, which exists, won't be published until after the vote.

Yet another piece of subterfuge to add to the list. Can you imagine the headlines if a Labour government had tried even half of these tricks?

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th October 2019, 05:41 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

We live under a Tory dictatorship with a one party state media.

+Quote this post

82 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 03:21 PM