BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Haunting of Bly Manor • Autumn, Netflix ■ Sequel to Haunting if Hill House
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Aug 24 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #1
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

This Fall/Autumn!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 24 2020, 01:21 PM
Post #2

I'M SO EXCITED!! YEEESSS!

I was expecting early 2021 so this is a very nice and welcome surprise wub.gif

The Haunting of Hill House was one of the scariest shows I have seen. So, SO good.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 4 2020, 04:00 PM
Post #3

Teaser trailer arrived a few days ago. I always avoid horror trailers if I can, especially for films and shows I'm already anticipating (I don't trust them not to give too much of the scares (or jokes in comedies) away aha)

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Sep 4 2020, 04:10 PM
Post #4
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I somehow missed this!

Hill House was one of my favourite recent horror series, and I'm familiar with the story of Turn of the Screw so I'm really interested to see what they do with it.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Sep 4 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #5
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Hill House was surprisingly very good - it took a few episodes to get going, but the ending was great once it all came together. Very excited for this.

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Sep 4 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

My most anticipated TV series of the year! Hill House was absolutely incredible and Mike Flanagan is a horror/thriller genius, so I'll be surprised if this doesn't smash it out of the park again wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 7 2020, 05:23 PM
Post #7

With us on Friday.

So, SO excited!!

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Oct 7 2020, 11:12 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

Early reviews seem to be good! Currently 88% on Rotten Tomatoes.

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Oct 7 2020, 11:23 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

So hyped for this....mostly because there is NOTHING else but still! Hope it live up to the first series!

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 10 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #10

Just finished this. Seeing it as a horror TV series, I am diasppointed. However, it's still a great little show! My friend told me that Netflix have marketed this as a Gothic Romance and that makes more sense. I just wish they'd said as such beforehand, so that I hadn't got such high expectations laugh.gif

I was creeped out a couple of times, but it wasn't enough times for me. The story was told really well though!

This was pretty much my thought process.

Episode 01: Alright. We'll see where this goes. Hopefully the kids die ASAP.
Episode 02: Hmm..
Episode 03: Feeling very disappointed.
Episode 04: Liking this show, but not loving it. Starting to think my expectations were too high and I need to stop thinking too much about this being the kind of horror I wanted.
Episode 05: GREAT EPISODE! Finally getting answers and the story is moving on.
Episode 06: Another good episode that furthers the story. THE ENDING!
Episode 07: Fantastic episode. This is more like it.
Episode 08: I loved this episode. It was creatively brilliant.
Episode 09: A great closing episode and rounds up the entire series perfectly, to the point that any ill will I had from the first 4 episodes are now gone and I appreciated every episode a lot more in the full context of things. I BAWLED LMAO HELP

Overall thoughts: If you don't see this as much of a horror and more as a Gothic Romance story with horror elements, this is a great, GREAT show. The first 4 episodes were confusing me coz there really isn't anything wrong with them (except the flipping kids!!!!), everything was "perfectly splendid", I just had high and wrong expectations that as soon as I told myself it wasn't what I thought it would be, each episode was serving the story excellently!

I even ended up liking the kids by about Ep 7! laugh.gif I got so invested in EVERY character and it was a great story to tell! I loved the unveiling of who they were at the end, I guessed that the narrator would be the gardener pretty early on, but it didn't click with me as to who the girl getting married was until towards the end! - before the revelation though!

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Oct 10 2020, 03:21 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

Oh no that's kind of put me off a little sad.gif I cba with something boring even if it's just for the first four episodes or whatever haha x

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 10 2020, 04:20 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Jack @ Oct 10 2020, 04:21 PM) *
Oh no that's kind of put me off a little sad.gif I cba with something boring even if it's just for the first four episodes or whatever haha x
The story is great and I think had I know it was "Gothic Romance" before I had watched the show, I'd have appreciated the first 4 episodes a lot more I think. It's still an excellent show, imo. Just don't expect anything as outright horror as there was in Hill House aha.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 11 2020, 12:14 AM
Post #13
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

The original novel is a bit more gothic romantic rather than straight out horror so I suppose I'm not surprised. I guess it's good I at least know not to expect, because I was really disappointed with how bland the Hill House finale was. Flanagan definitely focuses on very human and psychological horror which can be incredible, so I'll still stick with it.

The first episode was pretty great, really good sense of atmosphere, captured a lot of the book's themes immediately and I'm interested to see where they go with it, though the exaggerated accents were a little bit distracting, and my gosh, that girl was annoying. 'PERFECTLY SPLENDID' feck off

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Oct 11 2020, 10:25 AM
Post #14
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

I've watched the first 2 episodes and it is perfectly splendid. I agree it is not as outright horror as Hill House, but the suspense and tension built up is unbareable at times and ypu;re not sure where you are meant to focus. It has very similar themes as clearly the characters are all individually haunted by their own ghosts. I can't quite work out what is going on yet.

I'll be interested to see how they tie the narration element in to the main story as I don't believe the narrator is reliable or who are supposed to believe it is.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Oct 11 2020, 06:20 PM
Post #15
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Mr D* is making us watch this. I hate scary things so I'm a little nervous, although comforted by the reactions above saying it isn't as scary as the first one!

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Oct 11 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #16
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,061

I loved this. The first few episodes were very similar to a horror film on Netflix (The Turning) about a live-in school teacher who looks after a boy and girl after the death of the previous teacher. I really loved episodes 5 and 8 in particular. I was bawling at the finale!

Edit: I just looked on Wikipedia and found out that The Turning is indeed based on the same book!

+Quote Post
Ho-Lee Smokes
post Oct 11 2020, 09:58 PM
Post #17
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

QUOTE(Rooney @ Oct 11 2020, 11:25 AM) *
I've watched the first 2 episodes and it is perfectly splendid. I agree it is not as outright horror as Hill House, but the suspense and tension built up is unbareable at times and ypu;re not sure where you are meant to focus. It has very similar themes as clearly the characters are all individually haunted by their own ghosts. I can't quite work out what is going on yet.

I'll be interested to see how they tie the narration element in to the main story as I don't believe the narrator is reliable or who are supposed to believe it is.

Don’t say the splendid word frankie.png

+Quote Post
p a v
post Oct 11 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #18
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

I'm on episode 3 and so far it's... you know what's coming... PERFECTLY SPLENDID.

+Quote Post
p a v
post Oct 11 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #19
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

QUOTE(Rooney @ Oct 11 2020, 01:25 PM) *

Isn't the narrator supposed to be the girl in ~25 years so she's just telling her story (although she specified it's not her own story but perhaps she doesn't think it's her story but the children's or the family's)? I mean Carla played her mother in the first season so it kind of makes sense.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Oct 12 2020, 12:00 AM
Post #20
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(ɥɔʇᴉq @ Oct 11 2020, 11:27 PM) *
Isn't the narrator supposed to be the girl in ~25 years so she's just telling her story (although she specified it's not her own story but perhaps she doesn't think it's her story but the children's or the family's)? I mean Carla played her mother in the first season so it kind of makes sense.

I think that's what it wants is to believe, but I am not sure. I've seen the first 3 episodes too now and there are loads of hints that people are not always telling the truth. I could be wrong.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:36 PM