BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2018 American Midterms
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Oct 31 2018, 06:52 AM
Post #1
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

...are a week away with elections for all of Congress, some of the Senate and some governors also.

How goes it over in America, for the posters that live there (obligatory: remember to vote, but really), and what might this readjustment of the Trump administration mean for the rest of the world?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Oct 31 2018, 07:04 AM
Post #2
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I sent in my votes over the weekend along with my family's!

I'm hoping that the US has spent these 2 years to take a look in the mirror and realized how f*cked up the nation has become. Change should begin in one's self and then flow onto other people, and for me personally, voting for officials who will fight for everyone will deliver that change.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Oct 31 2018, 07:49 AM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I made these predictions back in January ~

However, in the November midterms the Democrats do relatively well and take back a majority in midterm elections for the US House of Representatives - in the Senate they do not make any gains and the Republicans continue with a narrow majority.

It will be interesting to see what happens, PFTE predicting a 86.1% chance of the Democrats taking the House.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 31 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Whilst the Democrats are likely to retake the House, I still think that the Republicans will hold on to their majority in the Senate. Every major election in the past few years has ended up throwing a surprise that defies the odds, and I can’t see this one being any different.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Oct 31 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #5
Buffy/Charmed
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I think the Republican cheating and suppression of the vote has guaranteed they will win. I bet the UN looks at their elections soon.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 31 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

The polls I’ve looked at and seemingly everyone is predicting the Dems take the house, maybe not the Senate but that may just be because this year’s map is so against them, virtually no Republican seats up for re-election.

The stories of vote fixing aren’t unbelievable but I don’t think they’ll make a difference at a national level.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Oct 31 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #7
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

The Texas machines, when you put a full Dem ticket in, gives you Ted Cruz as senator choice!!

They are suppressing the vote, denying the Native American vote in one state, closing poll stations, and there is voter harrassment at polls in Texas. Hillary lost in the rust belt, but no one talks about the voter suppression methods passed there between her and Obama, just enough to tip the scales.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Oct 31 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #8
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(¡Michael Myers! @ Oct 31 2018, 09:50 AM) *
I think the Republican cheating and suppression of the vote has guaranteed they will win. I bet the UN looks at their elections soon.

Is there *no* right wing party you don't have a conspiracy theory about? Why should left-wing parties not be under equal suspicion?

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Oct 31 2018, 03:53 PM
Post #9
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

Because the left is foe all. The right is based on the billionaires and money. The right does not represent the people.

It also isn't a conspiracy theory. It is what is happening and the only way the turgid right can win. But please. Point me in the direction of left wing election engineering and media control xD

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 31 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 31 2018, 03:20 PM) *
Is there *no* right wing party you don't have a conspiracy theory about? Why should left-wing parties not be under equal suspicion?

It is a simple fact that individual States (and even areas within States) have a lot of freedom to set their own election rules. They can decide the criteria for registration, the boundaries, the location of polling stations etc. It also seems to be the case that Republicans use this power to their advantage more than Democrats.

+Quote Post
Red Blooded Man
post Nov 6 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 822
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 1 2018, 03:41 AM) *
It is a simple fact that individual States (and even areas within States) have a lot of freedom to set their own election rules. They can decide the criteria for registration, the boundaries, the location of polling stations etc. It also seems to be the case that Republicans use this power to their advantage more than Democrats.

While the GOP has dominated the house since the midterm in 1994, Dems used the same tactic of gerry-mandering to their advantage up until that time.

My prediction is that Dems are favoured to re-take the house but this is not an absolute certainty. Early voting has already broken recent records but a substantial portion of them are GOP/Trump voters too.

I am more optimistic for Dems in terms of governor races, look like they could sweep up all the toss up races if things really go their way.

(And I'm quietly hoping for Dems win in Georgia, though now it's looking less certain... sad.gif )

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Nov 7 2018, 03:31 AM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

DEMOCRATS ARE GETTING THE HOUSE

(also can god throw another hurricane at Texas and Florida)

+Quote Post
LexC
post Nov 7 2018, 06:30 AM
Post #13
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Member No.: 5,342

Went to bed feeling not optimistic but am actually on the good side of the bed this morning. Yeah the senate’s a total bust but there’s also those random seats in South Carolina and Oklahoma were pleasant surprises.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 7 2018, 06:32 AM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

Looking pretty good at a glance, Dems taking the house obviously the most important thing, some good fresh faces coming into Congress (including a 29-yo who plays LoL in her spare time ohmy.gif, in all seriousness, good stuff for younger rep), the senate remaining red was expected.

I had my biennial exposure to Fox News earlier, they really sounded deluded, like they were saying things in the hope that doing so would make them true (stable president etc).

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 7 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #15
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I mean I'm fine with things progressing as expected if it doesn't mean the Republicans overperform, even if it still wasn't really as bad as they deserved to do. The house being back in blue is fantastic to see and I really hope that not only leads to Trump's ridiculous legislations not passing but an investigation into all these shady administration and election rigging as well as other dodgy stuff that he's conveniently swept under the rug.

Great to see so many female candidates get into Congress as well, promising after the election!

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 7 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #16
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

Honestly why is Florida so awful? Mostly pretty good news across the rest of the map though (the Senate was obviously disastrous, maybe a little worse than expected, and there were a few disappointing misses in governorship races but not like it makes that much difference in the grand scheme of things, Dems taking the House was the most important thing for the short term and they managed that pretty comfortably, there's hope for things to improve more for them in 2020 when there's hopefully a winning president on the ballot to help Dems turn out more).

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Nov 7 2018, 05:55 PM
Post #17
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

Exactly what I asked aboot Florida to someone!!

Democrats nearly won Texas ohmy.gif

But seriously why do turkeys vote for Christmas, or tax cuts for the rich and massive docial security cuts to pay for the rich giveaway?!

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 7 2018, 11:27 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

No surprise that the orange thing has described the results as a triumph for him. He has also followed the "good day to bury bad news" principle to sack Jeff Sessions for daring to stick to his legal obligations rather than doing Trump's bidding.

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Nov 7 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

(I was also rooting for Beto O’Rourke in Texas sad.gif)

Florida gave ex-felons their right to vote back so not all is bad in the nation’s peen

Colorado has their first gay governor and California now has back to back Democrat governors for the first time in over 1000 years so we’re taking that as a victory! I had a feeling Newsom was gonna win anyway but still yaaaaas. Also over 100 women in Congress for the first time (unfortunately with a few Trumpies but we all make sacrifices) *.*

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 7 2018, 11:58 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cody Manheim @ Nov 7 2018, 11:50 PM) *
(I was also rooting for Beto O’Rourke in Texas sad.gif)

Florida gave ex-felons their right to vote back so not all is bad in the nation’s peen

Colorado has their first gay governor and California now has back to back Democrat governors for the first time in over 1000 years so we’re taking that as a victory! I had a feeling Newsom was gonna win anyway but still yaaaaas. Also over 100 women in Congress for the first time (unfortunately with a few Trumpies but we all make sacrifices) *.*

One thousand years? ohmy.gif That's hundreds of years before independence tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:35 AM