BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The UK and transphobia
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Frenchie
post 1st September 2021, 09:01 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 72,030

Love to see Britain so high on those stats, although still progress to be made. I wonder how these stats would have been 20 years ago?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Smint
post 1st September 2021, 09:26 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

It would be great that Britain does respond so well in a poll (although you can't trust one poll as gospel truth). But if the experience for trans people in the UK is nothing but a living nightmare then it sadly doesn't mean much. The vocal minority are nothing but fascists.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 8th September 2021, 05:44 AM
Post #23
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

even our """"left-wing"""" (scare quotes very much intentional, the Guardian has shown their colours quite enough over the last half-decade) media is doing transphobia... you can read later in the thread that the interview appears to be from the Guardian US side, but the Guardian UK overruled them.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 8th September 2021, 09:02 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Heard about that. I do love the Guardian (by far the best UK paper) but they're not good on trans issues.

This post has been edited by Smint: 8th September 2021, 09:09 PM

+Quote this post
p a v
post 9th September 2021, 06:37 AM
Post #25
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Sep 1 2021, 11:37 AM) *

Transphobic journalists really are just a vocal minority

Spain wub.gif And you do feel that regardless of the size of the town you’re in for sure.

Is Scandinavia slowly changing their stance on LGBTQ+?? Seems pretty low to me and I swear I saw higher numbers from those regions before.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 10th September 2021, 05:35 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

Sigh.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 10th September 2021, 05:45 PM
Post #27
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

All of these people don't understand self-ID

Once again, like privilege itself, I think it's a bad term for what it tries to convey. Incidentally, also what I think the ease of Brexit was - an easy word to get behind that seems like a clear definition.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 10th September 2021, 06:13 PM
Post #28
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

The irony of course is that Rosie Duffield represents the incredibly marginal Canterbury constituency, one which she won through the support from people who are horrified about her quite obvious transphobic views. The blatant tropes coming out in her response I can't even be bothered to respond to. Just so tried of this BS.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 10th September 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #29
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

That Rosie hoe even restricted the tweet so you can imagine how much of an echo chamber the comment section is. That’s TERFs for ya. I love how they claim to support queer people too. No thanks.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 10th September 2021, 11:56 PM
Post #30
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Fortunately they've rescinded the investigation in light of noise being made about it, claiming it was started 'by mistake'. Uh huh. I'm always accidentally starting investigations into the chair of a Labour sub-unit for opposing transphobia, it's so easy to do.

Jess Barnard is being an incredibly good advocate for one of the few parts of Labour that hasn't been taken over by factional ideologues. See, I think that trans people are, just like Palestinians, being chosen as acceptable targets for the party to drop support of in a cynical calculation to appeal to the wider electorate. Or otherwise it's an excuse to get rid of those who would oppose Labour being turned into controlled opposition, like Barnard. Either way, f*** Duffield and anyone else in Labour who started this, it's a very concerning series of events.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 17th September 2021, 11:30 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Awful darling of the right Kemi Badenoch, who is an equalities minister refers to "transwomen" as "men" just 3 years ago. Might as well make Fred West minister for Children.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/09/17/kemi-...bt-rights-tory/

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 20th September 2021, 06:29 PM
Post #32
Group icon

Rosie Duffield has now expanded her target to Bi people. Clearly she's working her way up the acronym.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 20th September 2021, 06:56 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

We're having transgender and intersex awareness sessions at work which I think is a great step forward in our organisation. They're hosted by various people who fall under the trans umbrella and so far they've all been really well received wub.gif

I thought I knew quite a lot about the subject but I must admit there was a lot that was new to me, really interesting and great to see it being discussed so openly and frankly.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 21st September 2021, 09:22 AM
Post #34
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

That's good to hear Dandy*!

A senior Labour MP has said he was “appalled” to discover that his colleague Rosie Duffield felt unable to attend the party’s annual conference after she was made to feel unwelcome because of her views on trans women.

Duffield, who received threats and was branded transphobic after liking a tweet saying women were people with a cervix, has confirmed she will not be attending the conference because of the controversy generated by her remarks.

Pat McFadden, a shadow Treasury minister, told Sky News on Sunday he was appalled that Duffield did not feel able to attend the conference and said the party had to find a way of allowing people to debate difficult issues without resorting to abuse.

Duffield, the MP for Canterbury, has a record of expressing gender-critical views. She used an interview with the Sunday Times to say the row about her stance – in which she has been fiercely criticised by trans activists and abused online – had left her exhausted and at times frightened.

But she said she “mainly took the decision [not to attend conference]not because I really thought I was going to be attacked, but because I did not want to be the centre of attention”.

'I did not want to be the centre of attention' - she said to the national newspaper writing a story about her. OK surrrre.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 21st September 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #35
Group icon

In case anyone missed it, on her radio 4 interview she later expanded that the 'threats' she had had were simply in the form of people replying angrily to her on twitter, or taking issue with what she said.

That article is a disgrace. Was Trump 'fiercely abused' by activists who respect women after his comments, or was he rightfully critcised for the hateful words and actions he demonstrated and defended?

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 21st September 2021, 01:01 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

That's a really good example of the things we were discussing in our work sessions yesterday. The hosts were talking about how the media and people who have difficulties with trans people often seem to think that trans people are open for debate as a concept. It's a fact that some people are born intersex and that some people can have lots of biological aspects to their makeup that are 'female' without actually having to have a specific feature - it's ridiculous to say that they're not female just because they don't fit an outdated dictionary style description.

(I must say that this was one of the things I learned more about just yesterday but, as I now know about it, why not PREACH!!!)

+Quote this post
Smint
post 21st September 2021, 01:50 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(J00prstar @ Sep 21 2021, 01:44 PM) *
In case anyone missed it, on her radio 4 interview she later expanded that the 'threats' she had had were simply in the form of people replying angrily to her on twitter, or taking issue with what she said.

That article is a disgrace. Was Trump 'fiercely abused' by activists who respect women after his comments, or was he rightfully critcised for the hateful words and actions he demonstrated and defended?

The Times and the Sunday Times are particularly nasty about trans people despite generally being seen on the more reasonable side of the right wing press compared to Mail, Express, Sun, Telegraph. Not to say they aren't horrible to trans people either.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 21st September 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #38
Group icon

Yes good points both.

In principle I can KIND OF see where anti trans people's concerns COULD come from. But when it comes down to it, they are arguing hypothetical and very unlikely situations as significant enough to actively cause harm - which would likely lead to self-harm, addiction etc. - to a minority group who as it is, have existed among us already for hundreds of years with zero proof of any wrongdoing.

And in order to support their hypotheticals they selectively ignore so much reality. For example, that lesbians exist in the first place - and that many trend towards being more muscular and 'butch' than an average straight woman. A cis woman lesbian could already assault a straight woman in a bathroom. Or a cis man could follow her in. The idea that someone would go through a years-long process, getting surgeries and hormones just in order to be able to do that more easily is laughable, but there it is, a core TERF tenet.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 21st September 2021, 10:45 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(J00prstar @ Sep 21 2021, 01:44 PM) *

Agree with every word!

+Quote this post
danG
post 22nd September 2021, 12:43 PM
Post #40
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Keir Starmer showing himself as a red Tory again … says trans women should be excluded from some “women only spaces”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...obox=1632314241

+Quote this post

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 05:04 AM