BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Regina Reviews, Rambling about films trying to sound clever.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post 9th March 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

This could well end up being a massive fail and I could end up talking to myself, but I do that all the time anyway so hey ho.
This is a thread where I'm gonna review the movies I watch basically, since I tend to watch them all the time and most Saturdays I sit and watch about 4 or 5 back to back and I kinda just wanna share my thoughts since none of my friends are movie buffs laugh.gif Hopefully a few people like this and maybe get some good movies to watch from it. There will likely be much more older movies than new ones, since I rarely go to the cinema and wait for dvd's normally (or other methods, but we keep that hush hush)

Every movie will get a rating out of 5, but because it's ME, they will be Sebby's biceps rather than stars, obviously.

Most likely first set tomorrow as I have seen a few this week already. Alas, no Sebby.

Movies Reviewed

Her
The House Bunny
Jackie & Ryan
Not Suitable For Children
Captain America: The Winter Solider
X-men: The Last Stand
Leap Year
Red Eye
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Huntsman: Winter's War
Nocturnal Animals

This post has been edited by Regina: 12th February 2017, 07:07 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 9th March 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Excited for this Regina, like you I have no movie buff friends so I just get to chat to you guys when you're around. Hopefully I'll know a few of these as I'm not as familiar with Amy Adams or al ot of your other favourites' films as perhaps I should be, got Big Eyes on Sky that I'm yet to watch though.

This post has been edited by jsilv: 9th March 2016, 10:12 PM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 9th March 2016, 11:34 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Very hyped for this Regina wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 10th March 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Let's get this bast*rd rolling. I will probably ramble on, but hopefully it makes sense and I get my feelings across laugh.gif This is all kinda geeky.

Her (2013)

Director: Spike Jonez
Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Scarlett Johansson.

In a nutshell: Set in the not so distant future, a quiet and sensitive man (Joaquin) is trying to get on with life after his wife leaves him and he begins a relationship with his Siri like OS (Operating System) who opens his eyes to a new world and way of seeing life.

This was one of the most beautifully shot and acted movies I have ever seen, although I admit it took a few watches to get really into it, since it's a bit long. It's a pretty out there story but when you break it down, it's actually just a simple love story but with a twist that makes it modern. The scenery, the score (Arcade Fire) and the acting all combine to make a film that while subtle, packs a punch.
Joaquin is a very underrated actor I feel, hugely talented and I honestly cannot think of another actor who could have played Theodore with such perfection. You totally believe everything he says and does and can't help but love him. I am obviously biased when it comes to Amy Adams but she totally nailed this part. In reflection I actually think it was a more powerful performance than her one in American Hustle. She plays these kinds of quiet but strong characters well and the way she delivers her lines, with such emotion that shows in her voice and her eyes is just a joy to watch. She and Joaquin have such brilliant chemistry in their scenes together and I loved their relationship in the movie. Even though they are just friends, there is a love and respect that goes deeper than that and I loved seeing how important they are to eachother and how weel they really know one another. The way Amy totally gets Theodore's reltionship with Samantha and doesn't judge him in any way is really sweet. i also liked how she find the strength to leave her husband and embark on her own kind of relationship with her OS too. It's clear that they can totally trust each other.
I think Spike did a brilliant job showing off different kinds of relationships and love in this movie and manages to show the growth in Theodore and Amy in a brulliant and believable way. I've not seen any of this other movies but if they are as good as this, then I need to ASAP. His style of directing and shooting a movie is so artistic. There are some really beautiful lines in this movie too, many that really connected with me and that I took to heart, mainly ones said by Amy, like that in my opening gifs.
I think in time, this could become one of my favourite Amy Adams movies, certainly in recent days I am preferring it to American Hustle, which has kinda been tainted by how David O Russell treated her and how she felt about filming it.

Best scene: There are lots to choose from, some really beautiful moments, but I think for me the ending when Theordore composes the letter to his ex and he and Amy go up to the roof and just sit there, it's so beautiful and everything comes together ending the movie in the perfect way. The initial sadness they both feel soon goes away when they are just sitting there, realising they have come a huge way since these OS' came into their lives. The way that Smantha and the other OS's disappear and then leave everyone to carry on with their new way of living is pretty powerful and I'm sure there is a deep meaning to it all bit I can't explain it laugh.gif Theodore and Amy just looking at one another and just smiling is so sweet. The city scape is stunning too.

Also, if you wanna see just how much chemistry Amy and Joaquin have, go watch the press junkets they did, they are so adorable together and it's SO obvious they are good friends and Amy totally crushes on him laugh.gif

Rating:

This post has been edited by Regina: 30th March 2016, 01:20 PM

+Quote this post
Frank!
post 11th March 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 761

Lovely review Regina wub.gif Love Her, absolutely one of my fave films that year.

This post has been edited by Frank!: 11th March 2016, 01:37 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 11th March 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'Her' is so beautiful. It's scary how much of it we can relate to and often asks the question "When?". When will it be like in reality? Brilliant performances from everyone involved, too!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 11th March 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

Such a good review Regina I might watch it at some point and whilst Amy Adams is not my favourite actress but she is at least like top 10/20 heart.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 11th March 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Aw glad you all liked my review laugh.gif and please do give this and every other Amy Adams movie a watch kink.gif

Another one coming today, hopefully. A total change of pace compared to Her.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 11th March 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Raining Shitter

The House Bunny (2008)

Director: Fred Wolf
Starring: Anna Faris, Emma Stone, Kat Dennings, Colin Hanks

In a nutshell: After turning 27 (and some devious goings on from a jealous hoe) Playboy bunny Shelley finds herself on her own and in need of a home and ends up as the House Mother of an unpopular sorority that is in danger of being shut down if they don't get new members. She helps them become more popular and in return they give her a purpose and education in life beyond being a dumb sexy bunny.

I did say this was gonna be a change of pace laugh.gif
Anna Faris seems to have made a career out of playing dumb but totally loveable characters and this is no exception. Right from the get go, you root for Shelley and just want her to suceed. I have a fondness for movies that revolve around american colleges, sure they almost always tend to rely on stereotypes and emphasize them, but sometimes that's enough for a good movie and if you had naturally funny actors like Anna and Emma, then you can't go wrong. Speaking of Emm, I am not normally a fan of Emma, other than The Help, but she was really good in this, she sells that smart but beautiful character really well and was probably my favourite of the girls. Kat Dennings as the violent goth type was pretty amazing too. In fact they were all amazing, all individual but with a strong sense of sisterhood, it was all very empowering.
One thing that caught me off guard the first time I saw this was the casting of Colin Hanks as the romantic lead. Not that he's not talented or good looking enough to do it, but because it seemed like an odd fit in the sense that you don't see him in these roles that often, or ever really. But he clearly inherited his dad's natural talent for it, as he not only had really good chemistry with Anna, but was a sweet and likeable character and I loved how he wasn't like most men and blinded by her beauty and wanted to get to know the real person inside. It's something I think tends to get overlooked in movies like this, normally you are stuck with "man meets woman, man falls in love without getting to know her" so it was refreshing to see that. I think Colin was the perfect choice for the role of Oliver, he looks like the kind of man who cares more about the whole package more than, say, Channing Tatum, who looks like he is a bit too dim and vain for that crap.
Although initially it seems like Shelley just focusses on changing the outside of the girls, it becomes pretty obvious that she does much more and manages to awaken something within them all and by the end they successfully combine their new looks with their personalities and become the best versions of themselves, which is what we all strive for right?

Best Scene: There were so many I could pick from and I nearly went for the bar scene, but I opted instead for Shelley's method of remembering people's names by going all demonic on them. Not only was it really funny and totally out of the blue for her to do it, but it also showed how much she actually could fit into this group. She might be super glam and sexy but she is also a bit weird and an outcast looking for somewhere to belong and seeing her being so open and free about it really made me warm to her more.

Rating:

This post has been edited by Regina: 30th March 2016, 01:26 PM

+Quote this post
Regina
post 16th March 2016, 11:25 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Does nobody like Tge House Bunny then? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 16th March 2016, 11:26 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

I love it, thought I commented soz!

Will do a bigger comment when I'm not about to go t o bed heart.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 21st March 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Another movie coming hopefully today or tomorrow [/hype]

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 21st March 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Excited for the next film *.* Adore Her and The House Bunny and both write-ups are great Grant heart.gif

Her really is such an effective and beautiful film, Phoenix/Adams/Johansson kill it so much and are all incredible, was such a lovely surprise when I watched it heart.gif
The House Bunny was really funny and I remember it being the first film I saw in Leicester Square which was a pretty nice experience! Anna Faris was fantastic and I especially loved the beginning heart.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 22nd March 2016, 02:07 AM
Post #14
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Haven't seen 'Her' yet, but gonna someday, so can't comment on that, just as yet.

'The House Bunny', now I actually liked that movie, found it quite funny and Anna Faris was really good and funny in it. One scene I found funny was when she was trying to teach one of the girls how to flirt in that bar, and she says to the guy "Could you tell me where the bathroom is, I got to drop off some timber", then the guy says go away, then she goes back to Anna Faris who tells her to be more mysterious, so the girl says the same thing, just adding "I gotta mysterious thing to do in there, I gotta drop off some timber". I laughed out loud at that scene.

Plus I do agree that Colin Hanks was hot in it, and thought he made a decent leading man, and he should be more famous. I think he's great. But overall, pretty good movie and very fun.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 22nd March 2016, 05:00 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Jackie & Ryan (2015)

Director: Ami Canaan Mann
Starring: Katherine Heigl, Ben Barnes

In a nutshell: A train hopping busker and a former singer turned single mother fighting for custody of her daughter strike up a romance and make some sweet music together.

So this movie kinda passed me by as it probably did for most people since it had a very low key release and got pretty poor reviews. Undeserved I must say.
I went into this movie with pretty low expectations due to the reviews and the fact that, much as I love her, Katherine Heigl is a much better comedy actress than a dramatic one. However she shocked me not only with her acting but also her singing. Clearly some of her hubby's talents rubbed off on her. As for Ben, he really shocked me, I'd only seen him in The Big Wedding which was not a good movie to base anyone's acting off, but he was superb in this. His singing was sublime too, such a great voice.
The two leads had great chemistry and what little actual romance there was (this movie was clearly more about the music, despite their relationship bein used to promote it) they both sold it and were pretty believable. I think Katherine gets too much of a bad rep, but if she was to do more of these sorts of movies and show off the fact that she can carry a more serious movie then that might change. Hopefully Ben gets more bigger roles too because he certainly has the screen presence and the talent.
If you like folksy songs then you'd adore the soundtrack to this, even if it's not your thing, it's a plesent enough listen. The plot isn't that expansive, it's one of those "Sunday afternoon" kinda movies that feels more suited for a TV movie setting, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It flows nicely and has a nice neat ending.

Best Scene This was pretty easy, the ending scene where you see Ryan recording in a studio and singing Southbound. Not only a really amazing song, but it ties up the movie so perfectly. It doesn't leave anything unanswered and I love how they mimic the opening scenes and it seems like they are just showing his initial journey again. I do enjoy a nice musical ending and this is one of the better ones I have seen.

Rating:

This post has been edited by Regina: 30th March 2016, 01:27 PM

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 22nd March 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #16
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Not even heard of that movie ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 22nd March 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Not Suitable For Children (2012)

Director: Peter Templeman
Starring: Ryan Kwanten, Sarah Snook, Ryan Corr

In a nutshell: When a childless man is told he has cancer and the treatment will leave him infertile, he decides to postpone it and enlists his friends to help him on his mission to have children before it's too late.

Things that shocked me about this movie. 1) Ryan Kwanten is not a Redneck, he's an Aussie. 2) He actually can act and carry a movie. He comes off as a bit dim in True Blood but I guess that's just his character and I've never sen him in anything else so couldn't compare. Also, he's a good 10 years older than most of his co-stars but looks younger than them. #witchcraft.
Anyway, the actual movie. Despite the fairly serious tone of the plot, this is, for the most part, a pretty funny and light movie. One thing to note, despite Ryan's character being diagnosed with cancer, this is not a cancer movie and it's not evne mentioned or shown in any detail apart from to bookend the movie. This is about his quest to become a father. I like how brave this movie was, taking a pretty damn serious issue and making a funny movie out of it, but still with some serious undercurrents to it. Part of, or rather, the main reason for this being pulled off so well is Ryan. He is known for being a total babe with one hellova body, but he has a really adorable and sincere face and a really sweet persona about him that makes you root for him and believe in what he's setting out to do.
As you might expect, there are some sexy sex scenes, but they are shown in one go about half way through the movie, with some nice ass shots (for the pervs out there) I liked how they showed these scenes, not just the sex, but all the various routes you can go about having kids, they showed them in kinda of chunks so you get the impression that Jonah (Ryan's character) exhausts each method before moving on to the next one. It also helps that he is a pretty likeable fella too.
There is the inevitable will they wont they with Sarah's character which is actually pretty well played throughout the movie, it's clear they belong together but neither of them know it or want to admit it.
One thing I wasn't expecting was the way the movie ended, it didn't have the ending that you'd expect from the way the movie played out and as the end credits got nearner I found myself willing things to happen that never did, althoug certain things I wanted to happen did, so that was nice.

Best scene: As already mentioned, I have to go for the ending, for the reasons explained before. The movie did not have a typical nicely tied up ending, there were some questions left unanswered but none that would leave you disappointed or annoyed. They are kind of "I wonder what they'd do next?" which is what you want from a movie I think, you go on the journey that these characters do and you get invested and want to know what happens after the end. Sure I like a tied up ending where you can leave it be, but this is a good break from that formula and you get the feeling that Jonah gets his "happily ever after" even if it's not what he or the viewers thought it would be.
No scenes on youtube so enjoy another gif, cause, Ryan.

Rating:

This post has been edited by Regina: 30th March 2016, 01:26 PM

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 22nd March 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #18
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Oh I have heard of this never seen it though laugh.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 22nd March 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #19
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Oops never heard of either of those ohmy.gif
Jackie and Ryan sounds quite good though so may check that out! However both actors (Heigl in particular) are so hit and miss so if I do watch it, I hope they are good in this.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 28th March 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #20
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Only seen Her so far of all of these, one of my favourite films of all time so it saddens me when people write it off because of its concept which may sound silly, my Dad turned it off halfway through for being too unrealistic :'( Amy Adams isn't my highlight in it (think that may bs Scarlett Johansson for making Samantha seem so real) but all the cast were fantastic too.

Speaking of Amy Adams, been getting my fix of her recently and watched Doubt, The Fighter and Junebug all in the past two weeks, would love to see your write-ups on them! Only got The Master left from her Oscar nominations now biggrin.gif Junebug is by far her best performance yet, so sweet and engaging all the way through and then so heartbreaking during the hospital scenes, I know she's great but I was so impressed, shame she didn't win with her first nomination really. It was a cute little film too but she was definitely the highlight.

I liked The Fighter but it wasn't one of my favourite movies, boxing just has no appeal whatsoever for me so I was bored a few times. She did a great job and it was a fair way from her comfort scenes but I think she was outshined a few times, it was difficult to keep up with Bale and Leo because they were such big characters and so well acted/deserving of their wins. Amy really needs an Oscar soon though, hope she has something in the pipeline this year.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:23 AM