BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
80 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> PopMaster & Ten To The Top, PopMaster: Greatest Hits Radio / TTTT: Radio 2 - both weekdays 10:30am
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 17th November 2022, 02:11 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Feel free to move this topic if it's better placed elsewhere kink.gif but I've started listening to the PopMaster quiz with Ken Bruce, on Radio 2, this week and have quickly become hooked. So thought why not create a topic where we can share scores and chat about it if others are interested too.

For those unfamiliar it's essentially a music quiz that features questions spanning from the 1950s to the present day. Two contestants play a unique round of questions each where they can score up to 39 points. This includes regular questions worth 3 points each and three bonus questions for 6 points apiece. The contestant with the highest score then advances to the 'Three-in-Ten' round, where they have 10 seconds to name 3 chart hits by a random artist chosen.

It's on during weekdays at 10:30am - 11am.

Catch up here:

PopMaster: https://planetradio.co.uk/podcasts/popmaster/
Ten To The Top: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06q6h18/episodes/downloads
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 17th November 2022, 02:12 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Round 1: 27/39 (didn't get: Supergrass album, Erasure 00s hit, 5000 Volts 70s hits)
Round 2: 27/39 (didn't get: Duane Eddy, 1984 top 3 - was confusing the years of the 80s TOTP episodes I watched recently laugh.gif, Michael McDonald)
Three-in-Ten: 2/3 (got 'Come On Eileen' and 'Geno', really should've got 'Jackie Wilson Says' due to the infamous TOTP blunder but had a mind-blank))

That consistency today *.*

(In the office tomorrow, so not sure if I can catch it live then, but will catch up if not)

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 17th November 2022, 02:41 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Round 1 - I got 15 pts
Round 2 - I got 30 pts

I named Come On Eileen, Geno, Jackie Wilson Said for the three hits so 3 out of 3.

I might have got one or two more but the contestants said the answer while I was still trying to think what it might be.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 17th November 2022, 03:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Round 1 - I'm not sure how you score it as I've never played before but I got them all aside from the final question.

Round 2 - Got them all aside from Duane Eddy

Round 3 - Only got 2 out of 3 as I couldn't think of anything at all past the obvious two

+Quote this post
Jade
post 17th November 2022, 03:32 PM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(dandy* @ Nov 17 2022, 03:15 PM) *
Round 1 - I'm not sure how you score it as I've never played before but I got them all aside from the final question.

Round 3 - Only got 2 out of 3 as I couldn't think of anything at all past the obvious two

The three bonus questions (related to the category that the contestant chose at the start, out of two options) are worth 6 points each. Ken usually specifies which questions are the bonus ones before reading them out - I think normally question 3, 6 and 9 from what I gather so far. The rest are worth 3 each!

Impressive stuff, anyway. *.*

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th November 2022, 04:43 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I normally have it on in the background while working or doing buzzjacky stuff and turn it up for the questions, and then get frustrated at how my memory recall is getting worse for names and dates as I get older, especially recent stuff(*).

Round 1 - I forgot who sang the 2010 hit! the 2000 Erasure song! and shouted out the wrong Donna Summer cover before I corrected myself. Very poor!

Round 2 - Got 2011 song Jealousy wrong (my brain just kept repeating Not Pet Shop Boys Not Pet Shop Boys), and the Chico number 1 (he said it before my brain got into gear!).

got the 3 in ten though. I often don't though... laugh.gif

(*) anything post 2000 as Ive never reviewed anything from this century beyond what I hear on the radio!

When we actually used to go into the office everyone kept trying to get me to go on the show (no thanks! Been on a radio 1 pop quiz, never again!) as my party piece used to be showing off pop trivia knowledge if anyone needed a question answering. I wouldnt have minded getting the ones above wrong if I didn't know or like them. But I did like those tracks (bar Chico)!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th November 2022, 04:45 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(dandy* @ Nov 17 2022, 03:15 PM) *

you clearly need a blue-tooth speaker or digital radio prize! No pressure though, the mind goes blank when on national radio (I find laugh.gif )....

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 17th November 2022, 05:02 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

I have a long term plan to go on this but really need to improve my 70s and 80s knowledge first!

I haven’t listened to those episodes but I tend to score around Jade’s level - so could probably do decently but wouldn’t go on unless I could do really well haha!

This post has been edited by JulianT: 17th November 2022, 05:14 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 17th November 2022, 05:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I listen to this everyday I’m working from home and my notepad is full of 3/3 and 0/6s when I’m scoring myself 😂. Especially love the Champions League each Xmas week!

My average score is around 15-20/39 most days but it really depends on the questions so one day I might only get 3/39 (damn 60s and 70s questions) but the highest I’ve got is 36/39!

Today I was poor and got 6/39 and 18/39 but got the 3 in 10 for U2 and 1/3 for the other one!

The Scottish guy who was on Hit List was also on Pop Master yday 😄

+Quote this post
Jade
post 17th November 2022, 06:38 PM
Post #10
Group icon

Great to see quite a few others enjoying this! I knew I recognised one of the people on it yesterday from The Hit List, Steve, his knowledge is really impressive. That'd be amazing if you went on it one day, Julian! I'd be tempted, maybe when I reach my 30s or something and have had more time to delve even further into the archives.

I have binged most of the October episodes this week and my best result so far is 33 points (and 3/3 for the artist) for the episode titled 'Jamiroquai, Queen and Sigrid', it really pays off to get all of the bonus points. Determined to achieve a full house one day somehow kink.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 17th November 2022, 08:33 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette

Thanks for the explanation. I’ll keep trying this, it’s fun and I’m intrigued to see how I’ll usually do at it.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 17th November 2022, 10:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 17 2022, 06:38 PM) *
Great to see quite a few others enjoying this! I knew I recognised one of the people on it yesterday from The Hit List, Steve, his knowledge is really impressive. That'd be amazing if you went on it one day, Julian! I'd be tempted, maybe when I reach my 30s or something and have had more time to delve even further into the archives.

I have binged most of the October episodes this week and my best result so far is 33 points (and 3/3 for the artist) for the episode titled 'Jamiroquai, Queen and Sigrid', it really pays off to get all of the bonus points. Determined to achieve a full house one day somehow kink.gif

Are each of the quizzes on bbc sounds or is it the whole of Ken’s show?

+Quote this post
Jade
post 17th November 2022, 10:29 PM
Post #13
Group icon

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Nov 17 2022, 10:27 PM) *
Are each of the quizzes on bbc sounds or is it the whole of Ken’s show?

Yep PopMaster only episodes! Cut down to 17 minutes each (with the song usually played in between rounds and the shoutouts omitted) - which has been a godsend for bingeing laugh.gif

Currently 22 available:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/p06q6h18

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 17th November 2022, 10:31 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Cool must give the ones I miss a listen 😃

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 17th November 2022, 10:32 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Scott Mills was always funny covering for Ken earlier this year as he sounded so nervous doing the legendary gig in place of Ken 😅

+Quote this post
Jade
post 18th November 2022, 10:50 AM
Post #16
Group icon

I ended up cheekily putting it on in the office after all kink.gif

Dropped a bit today but still consistent across both:

Round 1: 24 (didn't get: the Dave Edmunds hits, Atlantic Starr hits, Randy Edelman hits, Aaron Neville feature)
Round 2: 24 (didn't get: Lena Zavaroni debut hit, post-Hopes & Fears Keane albums, Roger Miller hit, Sinitta hits)
Three-in-Ten: 3 (named 'It Must've Been Love', 'The Look' and 'Fading Like A Flower' in my head)

I thought I would be doomed with the Country category so was pleasantly surprised when I locked in that first bonus question

In way more impressive news, I finished catching up on October episodes and got a new personal best for the second set of questions in the episode titled 'Snap, McFly and Demi Lovato' - got 36 and all 3 for three-in-ten!! *.* so close.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 18th November 2022, 12:11 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Round 1 - 27 I didn't get Paul Anka, the year, Brian McFadden so between the two of us, we knew them all.
Round 2 - Only 15

I only got 1 for the name three hits, the same one the contestant said.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th November 2022, 12:44 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

36 and 3 in ten is champion final level Jade!

It's all luck of the draw though. Sometimes I get everything right, mostly I get a few wrong.

Today I got the years wrong for both - it really helps to have aback catalogue of standard bearer track yeardates in your head and hope they are ones they mention! Personal memories associated with songs def help in most cases but the Michael jackson mention threw me off as I thought it was 2 years later due to a bad memory associated with it.

I also struggled with Keane album titles (and Ive bought 2 of the bloody things!) laugh.gif and that Delta Goodrem/McFadden song I had no memory of. But I reckon a certain Delta fan or 2 on BJ wouldve got it right off smile.gif

It's pretty impressive when younger music fans go on and do well - it's easy to recall stuff from your teens and 20's as music forms such a backdrop to life at that age and the brain is buzzing, but older and newer music doesn't stick quite so much. It's rare I get anything from the 70's or 80s wrong, 60's and 90's mostly right, 00's and 10's it's less than half unless they are current/recent radio play tracks, I usually know them. They seem to have phased those questions out recently though, they always used to stick one in.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 18th November 2022, 06:51 PM
Post #19
Group icon

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Nov 18 2022, 12:11 PM) *
Round 1 - 27 I didn't get Paul Anka, the year, Brian McFadden so between the two of us, we knew them all.
Round 2 - Only 15

I only got 1 for the name three hits, the same one the contestant said.

If only duos were allowed biggrin.gif my Paul Anka knowledge was born out of listening to every Billboard Hot 100 #1 in recent months.

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Nov 18 2022, 12:44 PM) *
36 and 3 in ten is champion final level Jade!

It's all luck of the draw though. Sometimes I get everything right, mostly I get a few wrong.

Today I got the years wrong for both - it really helps to have aback catalogue of standard bearer track yeardates in your head and hope they are ones they mention! Personal memories associated with songs def help in most cases but the Michael jackson mention threw me off as I thought it was 2 years later due to a bad memory associated with it.

I also struggled with Keane album titles (and Ive bought 2 of the bloody things!) laugh.gif and that Delta Goodrem/McFadden song I had no memory of. But I reckon a certain Delta fan or 2 on BJ wouldve got it right off smile.gif

It's pretty impressive when younger music fans go on and do well - it's easy to recall stuff from your teens and 20's as music forms such a backdrop to life at that age and the brain is buzzing, but older and newer music doesn't stick quite so much. It's rare I get anything from the 70's or 80s wrong, 60's and 90's mostly right, 00's and 10's it's less than half unless they are current/recent radio play tracks, I usually know them. They seem to have phased those questions out recently though, they always used to stick one in.

Oh wow ohmy.gif now I need to try and land in the 30s more consistently laugh.gif it really is the luck of the draw, especially with the bonus points counting for so much. An unfavourable topic selection and bam. Sorry to hear about the bad memory </3 although it's intriguing to see how our musical minds work as the MJ one was actually the song that helped me get the year! laugh.gif

Yeah I definitely hear what you're saying, as a late 90s baby I've had 00s-current music as my omnipresent soundtrack, so that is where my natural advantage would lie. Then, the 90s is my parents’ favourite era, so a lot of that music played around the house growing up too. I have also had particular spells of obsessing over 60s music (off the back of The Beatles) and 80s (synths galore!!) - need to try and fill in 50s and 70s more laugh.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 18th November 2022, 07:56 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Mansonette

Today's effort...

First set: 27 points. Didn't get... Paul Anka, Atlantic Starr, Randy Eidleman (or however you spell it)
Second set: 30 points Didn't get... Lena Zavaroni, Roger Miller

Three in ten: Got it EASILY. Rattled off about 15 in a row

+Quote this post

80 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:17 PM