BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> BuzzJack's Record Of The Year [The Results]
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JackTheeStallion
post Jan 19 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

16 | Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me | 488pts

The comeback single from Britney and one of the first commercial pop songs to use dubstep influences, didn't prove to be as popular as hoped as it peaked at #06 in the UK and
didn't have much chartlife either, quickly falling off after. It was a success in the US however as it was another #01 for Britters. This has grown quite old quite quickly for me
personally but I still think it's one of the best pop songs of the year, but 'Till The World Ends' is in a whole other league and should've been the lead single imo seeing as that's for me, her best single since 'Toxic'.

15 | Olly Murs ft. Rizzle Kicks - Heart Skips A Beat | 509pts

Olly's comeback single ended up being another huge #01 hit for him (and his best selling I think?). It was alot different from Olly's usual stuff, featuring hot newcomers Rizzle Kicks
on the track too. I'm not huge on the track myself, even though it's slightly different it still feels very annoyingly MOR and catered to Heart FM's audience. Blah. Not my cup of tea
at all and I struggle to see the appeal myself? Ah well.

This post has been edited by Jack: Jan 19 2012, 05:02 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 19 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Both those songs FAR too low, especially my husband sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 19 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #23
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
I was expecting to see Olly a bit higher to be honest.

Only Coldplay and Maroon 5 still to come to represent the male gender (excluding featured Calvins, Pitbulls and Kanyes) - hopefully there will be some SENSE and the former will be higher but that's too much to expect from BuzzJack. Yes @ Coldplay being at least #14 though, I thought Paradise would be one of the first to crash out biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Bré: Jan 19 2012, 06:19 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 19 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Bré @ Jan 19 2012, 06:17 PM) *
I was expecting to see Olly a bit higher to be honest.

Only Coldplay and Maroon 5 still to come to represent the male gender (excluding featured Calvins, Pitbulls and Kanyes) - hopefully there will be some SENSE and the former will be higher but that's too much to expect from BuzzJack. Yes @ Coldplay being at least #14 though, I thought Paradise would be one of the first to crash out biggrin.gif

You forget Will Young?! ohmy.gif Or does he suddenly have a vagina?

Easily my least favourite song left in the game here, hopefully he won't be top 5, but I fear he will be.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 19 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #25
Group icon
QUOTE(Eyes @ Jan 19 2012, 06:31 PM) *
You forget Will Young?! ohmy.gif Or does he suddenly have a vagina?

Easily my least favourite song left in the game here, hopefully he won't be top 5, but I fear he will be.

Oh, whoops, I thought he'd already gone by for some reason. He'll probably be the highest male then.

This post has been edited by Bré: Jan 19 2012, 07:07 PM

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jan 20 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

14 | Lady GaGa - Born This Way | 553pts

The comeback single from GaGa split fans with it's 'be true to yourself, everyone's equal' song, Born This Way. I was never fussed on it due to the dodgy lyrics and similarities to
Madonna's 'Express Yourself' but the production on it is actually pretty good and it's actually a grower imo. Definetly not her best song by a loooong shot but not as bad as some say
it is either. It was a huge success for her in the US scoring her another #01 and a huge Top 3 hit over here, selling over 500,000 copies.

13 | Lady GaGa - Judas | 573pts

And the second single from 'Born This Way' just edges it over the lead single. It's usually more favoured among fans but wasn't quite as successful chartwise, selling over 200,000
copies in the UK and just managing Top 10. I think of it as a poor man's 'Bad Romance' but it's still pretty good and the video is her best of this era in my opinion. This whole era
does scream of 'she's capable of so much better' though imo and nearly all of the singles have been the wrong choices.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post Jan 20 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #27
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118
Judas ahead of Born This Way?! mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Jan 20 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #28
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Jan 20 2012, 02:11 PM) *

Bizarre. "Edge of Glory" has beaten "Judas" at least.

+Quote this post
Taftyłłł
post Jan 20 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #29
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Thankfully, yes. I'm also pleasantly surprised they've both crashed out quite early, too. I was sure all three of her songs would be top 10! But I'm very happy about 'The Edge of Glory' being higher than both (hopefully A LOT higher). Pleased to see 'Super Bass' is still to come. Hopefully it'll go top 10, but seeing as it only made it through, thanks to the Wildcard round, I'm expecting it at #11 or #12.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 20 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #30
Group icon
QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Jan 20 2012, 02:11 PM) *

As it should be! 'Judas' is by far Gaga's best single to date.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 20 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #31
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Judas sounds really average compared to Born This Way and Edge of Glory, I never quite got all the hate for the former, the lyrics are a tad cringey, but the production and song is great

great to see Coldplay still to come biggrin.gif hopefully not at 11 or 12 tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 20 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Judas should be far far far higher!

+Quote this post
Torple
post Jan 20 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Ego reputo vos es totus pilosus rectum
User: 35
The more I hear it the more I believe Judas to be tuneless tripe.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Jan 20 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Neither are anywhere near Gaga's best, a Bad Romance rip-off and a poor Madonna pastiche. thank GOD neither are top ten here. As much as I love her (and the album was excellent aside from a couple of tracks, namely these ones!), it's good to see that she can't just finish top five in every rate and rank on Buzzjack based on her name alone anymore. That said, Poker Face and Bad Romance deserved all the hype that they got wub.gif

Also shocked that Hold It Against Me made it this far and Till The World Ends didn't, I thought almost everyone preferred the latter to the former now ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post Jan 20 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665
This may come as a shock to some people, but I'm glad that Judas didn't get in the top 10.

When I first heard the song, I thought it was going to be massive, since it sounds like Poker Face, which everybody loved. So it was a pleasent surprise (to me) that it didn't do that well. I'm still puzzled as to why it didn't do better commercially though, but I can't complain I suppose.

This post has been edited by Eric_Blob: Jan 20 2012, 06:00 PM

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Jan 20 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #36
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jan 20 2012, 05:56 PM) *
Neither are anywhere near Gaga's best, a Bad Romance rip-off and a poor Madonna pastiche. thank GOD neither are top ten here. As much as I love her (and the album was excellent aside from a couple of tracks, namely these ones!), it's good to see that she can't just finish top five in every rate and rank on Buzzjack based on her name alone anymore. That said, Poker Face and Bad Romance deserved all the hype that they got wub.gif

Also shocked that Hold It Against Me made it this far and Till The World Ends didn't, I thought almost everyone preferred the latter to the former now ohmy.gif

I don't think TTWE was included in the countdown!

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post Jan 20 2012, 06:02 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Till the World Ends is definitely better than Hold It Against Me imo. I still love it now. It sounds so epic to me (I don't know if epic is the right word, but Till the World Ends has that "massive", anthemic feeling that songs like Viva La Vida, Black and Yellow, Bittersweet Symphony, Firework, One Day Like This, etc. have).

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Jan 20 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #38
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
QUOTE(Eric_Blob @ Jan 20 2012, 06:02 PM) *
Till the World Ends is definitely better than Hold It Against Me imo. I still love it now. It sounds so epic to me (I don't know if epic is the right word, but Till the World Ends has that "massive", anthemic feeling that songs like Viva La Vida, Black and Yellow, Bittersweet Symphony, Firework, One Day Like This, etc. have).

Would 'anthemic' fit better? laugh.gif Yeah I agree, personally I prefer Hold It Against Me, but it is a tragesty that Till The World Ends wasn't a big hit!

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post Jan 20 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Klumzealia Banks @ Jan 20 2012, 06:20 PM) *
Would 'anthemic' fit better? laugh.gif Yeah I agree, personally I prefer Hold It Against Me, but it is a tragesty that Till The World Ends wasn't a big hit!

Most UK radio stations just didn't play it, which is why it wasn't a hit. Capital and Radio 1 only played TTWE a few times each probably. The song was huge in the US where it got lots of airplay. It only peaked at #3, but had an enourmous chart run.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jan 22 2012, 11:23 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

12 | Will Young - Jealousy | 582pts

So Will Young's comeback single isn't as high as most thought, but I'm still not sure it'd even be in the final if it wasn't for his loons. Still it was a decent enough comeback for him,
showcasing something slightly different for him and managed to get another Top 10 hit, as well as a #01 album following it. I think it's alright, nothing particularly groundbreaking and
I'm not really a fan of his voice much either.

11 | Nicki Minaj - Super Bass | 591pts

Nicki's big breakout was all thanks to this song, which reached #08 in the UK and went on to sell over 300,000 copies. In fact I don't think she'd be quite as popular as she is without
this song! But what a gem of a song it is, the infectious chorus, the fun and lighthearted rap that has everyone doing their best Nicki impression and she looks amazing in the video
too. Probably my personal song of the year and I can't wait to see what she comes up with for the next album!

This post has been edited by Jack: Jan 22 2012, 11:23 PM

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:15 PM