BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
27 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The week in the world, because the pace of events is immense it's easy to miss stu
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 6th March 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 6 2018, 06:26 AM) *
iro the above Trump example, surely that's all the more reason to ensure the Constitution is adhered to?

No. It's not the Word of God, and it can be changed whenever suits - as Trump has just proved. It isn't 1776 anymore on the wild frontier with citizens railing against a foreign oppressive occupying power. It's almost as if you DO want guns....
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 6th March 2018, 01:02 PM
Post #62
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 6 2018, 12:33 PM) *
No. It's not the Word of God, and it can be changed whenever suits - as Trump has just proved. It isn't 1776 anymore on the wild frontier with citizens railing against a foreign oppressive occupying power. It's almost as if you DO want guns....

I guess I have to state it for the record 'I do not support RKBA'.

Trump has *not* changed the Constitution, he has (IMO illegally) circumvented it - the worst aspect is that Congress meekly accepted it. sad.gif

I strongly suspect this will be challenged in the Supreme Court at some point.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 6th March 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #63
Group icon
Paul Hyett

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/press/article/13...local_elections

Bromley residents asked to bring ID to vote in May Local Elections

Published Thursday, 15 February 2018

Voter ID - 3 May 2018 election.
Bromley is taking part in a Voter ID pilot at the Local Council Elections on 3 May 2018.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th March 2018, 07:17 PM
Post #64
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I'm firmly against voter ID laws. It disproportionally impacts PoC and the less well off.

No surprise the Republicans and Tories are fans
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 6 2018, 07:29 AM) *
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2...oroner-religion

Why I’d happily give up my place in the burials ‘cab rank’ queue
Peter Ormerod

The coroner who insists on the first-come, first-served principle when releasing bodies for burial misunderstands religion

I'm surprised the Guardian would even draw attention to an issue like this - normally they avoid anything that could stir up racial/religious tensions. ohmy.gif

No they don't. They don't just slap a sensationalist front page on with aggressively racist undertones

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 7th March 2018, 07:01 AM
Post #65
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Mar 6 2018, 07:17 PM) *
I'm firmly against voter ID laws. It disproportionally impacts PoC and the less well off. No surprise the Republicans and Tories are fans

But surely you wouldn't disagree with the principle of minimizing the number of illegal votes?

Of course, postal voting is the area must susceptible to abuse, as the checks there can be circumvented, and there is greater potential for influence by family members, friends, etc.

No they don't. They don't just slap a sensationalist front page on with aggressively racist undertones

How on earth did they report on the Rochdale & Rotherham child abuse scandals, then - the racial undertones on those were unavoidable. thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 7th March 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #66
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Yes it was avoidable.

There is a handful of votes at most at every GE that are fraudulent and that’s it. Not enough to change the result in any meaningful way at all. I recall maybe 1 vote in Scotland that was suspect in the last election. Out of a couple of million that firmly comes under “accept” on the TARA risk framework. The problem is so minute that it’s not really an issue at all. Voter ID laws are a disproportionate response as it defranchises people. The statistics from the US are staggering and seriously dent the POC vote at such a rate you have to question the true intention of the laws

Also this law does nothing to prevent potential postal vote fraud. Just in-person on the day voting.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 7th March 2018, 07:32 AM
Post #67
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Mar 7 2018, 07:17 AM) *
Yes it was avoidable.
There is a handful of votes at most at every GE that are fraudulent and that’s it. Not enough to change the result in any meaningful way at all. I recall maybe 1 vote in Scotland that was suspect in the last election. Out of a couple of million that firmly comes under “accept” on the TARA risk framework. The problem is so minute that it’s not really an issue at all. Voter ID laws are a disproportionate response as it defranchises people. The statistics from the US are staggering and seriously dent the POC vote at such a rate you have to question the true intention of the laws

Also this law does nothing to prevent potential postal vote fraud. Just in-person on the day voting.

There are only a handful of votes that are *proven* fraudulent, which is not quite the same thing.

I agree that voter ID laws may be overkill, but the sector they might adversely affect is also the sector most likely be involved in fraudulent voting in the first place <cough>Tower Hamlets<cough>

I already acknowledged that postal voting has particular issues.

On a side issue - 'POC' voting? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 7th March 2018, 03:57 PM
Post #68
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Mar 6 2018, 07:17 PM) *

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-54...ost-Brexit.html

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary threatens to ground planes after Brexit in a bid to force Britain 'rethink' its vote to quit the EU

Michael O'Leary said he is considering the stunt to show voters they were 'lied to'

Airline chief executive said Brexit will spell the end of cheap holidays for Britons

Tory MP and Brexiteer Peter Bone said the idea the stunt will work is pure fantasy

This time though, the Labour-supporting Mirror carries the story too...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ryan...content=sitemap

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 7th March 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #69
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 7 2018, 07:01 AM) *
But surely you wouldn't disagree with the principle of minimizing the number of illegal votes?

Of course, postal voting is the area must susceptible to abuse, as the checks there can be circumvented, and there is greater potential for influence by family members, friends, etc.
How on earth did they report on the Rochdale & Rotherham child abuse scandals, then - the racial undertones on those were unavoidable. thinking.gif

According to Electoral Commission estimates the number of fraudulent votes at the last election was 28. I'm prepared to live with that.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 7th March 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #70
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Mar 7 2018, 04:07 PM) *
According to Electoral Commission estimates the number of fraudulent votes at the last election was 28. I'm prepared to live with that.

I assume that's the number they could *prove*?

So if the Home Office said 'this is the number of crimes we can prove', would you so readily accept that that's all the crimes that took place?

This post has been edited by vidcapper: 7th March 2018, 04:24 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 7th March 2018, 08:53 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 7 2018, 04:21 PM) *
I assume that's the number they could *prove*?

So if the Home Office said 'this is the number of crimes we can prove', would you so readily accept that that's all the crimes that took place?

More to the point: do you have evidence that it WASN'T 28? If not, then you're just guessing cos it suits you to. No voting system is ever going to be foolproof. I mean, I'd love to overturn the result of the last 2 elections and the referendum based on illegal voting, but sadly I have no proof so PLEASE tell me you have proof, and give me some hope we can get rid of the Tories and the stupid economic suicide pact they are currently pushing.....

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 7th March 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 7 2018, 03:57 PM) *

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary threatens to ground planes after Brexit in a bid to force Britain 'rethink' its vote to quit the EU

Michael O'Leary said he is considering the stunt to show voters they were 'lied to'

Airline chief executive said Brexit will spell the end of cheap holidays for Britons

Tory MP and Brexiteer Peter Bone said the idea the stunt will work is pure fantasy

That isn't a front page headline, it's not racist, it's not Calling Ryanair Enemies Of The People for running it's business how it wants to run it, political or not, so I'm guessing "NO!"

(PS Tory Party and Brexit campaign minted by rich business owners spreading political propaganda, so hypocrites much, no headlines about that online or otherwise.....)

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 8th March 2018, 06:34 AM
Post #73
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 7 2018, 08:53 PM) *
More to the point: do you have evidence that it WASN'T 28? If not, then you're just guessing cos it suits you to. No voting system is ever going to be foolproof. I mean, I'd love to overturn the result of the last 2 elections and the referendum based on illegal voting, but sadly I have no proof so PLEASE tell me you have proof, and give me some hope we can get rid of the Tories and the stupid economic suicide pact they are currently pushing.....

But you seem to be accepting 28 as a maximum, rather than a minimum - that's my point.

As for getting rid of the Tories, past experience suggests that Labour gov'ts are even worse at handling the economy.

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 7 2018, 09:06 PM) *
That isn't a front page headline, it's not racist, it's not Calling Ryanair Enemies Of The People for running it's business how it wants to run it, political or not, so I'm guessing "NO!"

Well, I was thinking in terms of sensationalist presentation as a general example, as this specific one wasn't racist, and I obviously cannot tell what their headline in the physical edition is without seeing it.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 8th March 2018, 08:02 AM
Post #74
Group icon
Queen of Soon

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 7 2018, 03:57 PM) *

Obviously not. This is entirely unrelated to the point and you know it.

On the subject of this article, it’s not a threat it’s actually a very real possibility. Ryanair have an Irish AOC and without an agreement with the EU on openskies Ryanair won’t be allowed to operate any flights to/from/within the uk. Easyjet have been rapidly transferring their non-domestic operations to a new AOC so they can continue to fly their non-UK routes

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th March 2018, 08:03 AM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 8 2018, 06:34 AM) *
But you seem to be accepting 28 as a maximum, rather than a minimum - that's my point.

As for getting rid of the Tories, past experience suggests that Labour gov'ts are even worse at handling the economy.
Well, I was thinking in terms of sensationalist presentation as a general example, as this specific one wasn't racist, and I obviously cannot tell what their headline in the physical edition is without seeing it.

Errr given the banking crisis was caused by Thatcher/Tory worshipping the free market and devoted to the idea that rich greedy bast*rds can be trusted to self-monitor and grow so big that it can cripple the host country, and that New labour adopted the same mantra, and then both felt saving the rich people at the expense of the poor people who have suffered over a decade of austerity, I'm kinda thinking they at the very least are as bad as one another.

Given the joys of both parties being split over Brexit and the forthcoming economic mess (yes it IS going to happen) but happy to go along with it I'm not seeing any optimism that either of them knows what they are doing (but at least Labour pays lip-service to putting the needy first, the Tories just lie about it).

The BBC has the front pages of all the press daily. You dont have to buy them or walk to the newsagent, you only have to spend 15 seconds flicking through them. I know it sounds kinda complex, but it really isn't.

PS previous front pages are available on the interwebby thing too. There's a thing called google (spit, ptui, tax-dodging mega-corp) or lesser brands that do the same thing for less tax-evasion purposes.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 8th March 2018, 08:10 AM
Post #76
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 8 2018, 08:03 AM) *
The BBC has the front pages of all the press daily. You dont have to buy them or walk to the newsagent, you only have to spend 15 seconds flicking through them. I know it sounds kinda complex, but it really isn't.

Ah, but you have to know something is available before you know to look for it - I was not aware of the above.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

I've now bookmarked this.

This post has been edited by vidcapper: 8th March 2018, 08:12 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th March 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 8 2018, 08:10 AM) *
Ah, but you have to know something is available before you know to look for it - I was not aware of the above.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

I've now bookmarked this.

happy to help! smile.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 8th March 2018, 05:29 PM
Post #78
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 8 2018, 06:34 AM) *

At the risk of being boring (I have, after all, said this before) the Tories have been in power for roughly 60% of the time since WW2. In that time there have been very few years when the government has operated a budget surplus. Most of them have been under Labour governments.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 9th March 2018, 12:38 AM
Post #79
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Trump 'ready to meet North Korea's Kim Jong-un'.

^What a meeting that is going to be...

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 9th March 2018, 01:04 AM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Mar 9 2018, 12:38 AM) *
Trump 'ready to meet North Korea's Kim Jong-un'.

^What a meeting that is going to be...

Just like a meeting of two six-year-olds. They will spend their time arguing about what type of jelly is best.

+Quote this post

27 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 05:37 AM