BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
44 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Kylie Christmas ● album discussion, 13th album ● 2015
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 15th December 2020, 03:08 PM
Post #461
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

'It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year' achieves a new peak of #23 on the TV airplay chart!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 15th December 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #462
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday deserves more but maybe im biased as i really like her version, wow the difference in streams from santa baby and all the others is absolutely huge.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 15th December 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #463
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Kylie has finally done a KC post on socials today - just a shame she’s not directing people to the album!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 15th December 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #464
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Something is better than nothing.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 15th December 2020, 11:34 PM
Post #465
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

I Largely believe Kylie has moved on from Kylie Christmas.
The album and Kiss Me One feel very contract albums.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 24th December 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #466
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Yesterday I had a listen to Kylie Christmas Snow Queen Edition (at the same time as BuzzJack members Joseph, Maurice and Harry cool2.gif ) and I felt the same way about the album as I usually do. There's definitely some great moments on there, but overall it is a bit too long and some of the covers are misfires (which was probably inevitable considering the number of songs she tackled).

Firstly, here's my ranking of the originals:

1. Every Day's Like Christmas
wub.gif If there was any justice this would be a chart hit that returns every year. It's very touching and romantic. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the production has quite a melancholic vibe to do it, which is an interesting contrast to the lyrics. I love the Stock Aitken and Waterman remix because that provides a different mood, more uplifting.

2. At Christmas
While there is a slightly juvenile quality to this song, in terms of her production and vocally delivery, this isn't a bad thing - it's a very fun and cute bop. Funnily enough, like with Every Day's Like Christmas, this song also has a contrast - upbeat production, but the lyrics are actually incredibly depressing! ohmy.gif

3. White December
Another great original. I'm not surprised to see that critics singled this out as a highlight of the album! It has all the ingredients for a great Christmas song - the drumming in the verses, the jingling bells... it feels nostalgic, but also contemporary at the same time. For some reason I love how she sound in the pre-chorus when she sings "Oh, just got me praying for snow".

4. Christmas Isn't Christmas 'Til You Get Here
This is such a strong and catchy uptempo! music.gif It's so jolly and puts me in a good mood. Although it's not my ultimate favourite original, I do think this would have served as a great lead single in 2015, with 'Every Day's...' as a great follow up to it. As much as I actually love Only You, with hindsight I think it's pretty puzzling that the label chose it to launch the era with it, when they had a song like this at their disposal. I feel like it gave the impression that Kylie didn't have much confidence in her own original Christmas songs, which is a shame. I think if you're going to do a Christmas album you really should start off with an original. Imagine if Leona Lewis had released a cover version as a 1st single instead of One More Sleep? She now has an original song do incredibly well every year... and Kylie doesn't. Such a mistake!

5. 100 Degrees [with Dannii Minogue]
I have to confess that I didn't really get the appeal of this song a few years ago. I thought it seemed very out of place, sonically. And I still think that, but now I don't consider this to be a negative point. It's just so much fun, and I think it was quite clever to include a song referencing what an Australian Christmas is like. This song feels authentic and thoroughly Kylie-esque. It's delightfully camp and the Minogue sisters sound fabulous together.

6. Cried Out Christmas
Quite forlorn sounding, but also sweet. Not the most essential original here, but it sits comfortably on the album and I wouldn't skip it.

7. Oh Santa
I'm a bit ambivalent about this one. It kind of puts me in mind of her attempt at doing an original Santa Baby - it's not a direct copy, but it has that slightly sensual tone to it. This song does stick in the mind though, it's catchy. Although it's my least favourite original, I still think it has its place on the album!

Overall I think Kylie did some great work with these new tracks. Whoever designed the track list for both the 2015 release and 2016's Snow Queen didn't do a very good job imo. I suppose the idea behind it was to have the familiar classics at the top to draw people into buying it, but I really think there should have been a smattering of originals much higher up the track list. They were worthy of that. I think it's a bit crazy that you don't reach a new song until track 7 on either the 2015 or 2016 versions of the album. Christmas Isn't Christmas 'Til You Get Here being towards the end of the album? Madness!

~~~~~

Here's my ranking of the covers:

1. Only You [with James Corden]
I feel like having this at the top would be a very unpopular choice for many of you. Perhaps it being a single benefits it in my affections, because I'm very familiar with it - I played it so often in 2015. I genuinely do find it to be an incredibly lovely version of the song though, and Kylie's vocals sound beautiful. It's weird to me how James Corden's singing voice comes across as sounding so much like his speaking voice. laugh.gif There's certainly no mistaking that it's him, and I can't help but think she could have chosen someone with a more pleasant voice for this duet. I mean he sounds fine, he can sing. Actually, I don't think that this song needed to be a duet - Kylie would have sounded incredible on this all by herself. I suppose it's quite funny to have a song that isn't about Christmas at the very top, but I think it's the delicate and pretty production that gives it a Christmassy feeling. Despite my positive comments, I will say that I don't think this needed to be a single, far less the album launch single.

2. Christmas Lights
I've only played Coldplay's version of this once according to my Last.fm (last year). I feel like I've probably heard it a few times on radio/TV over the years, but it hasn't proven itself to me as a Christmas staple. To all intents and purposes this may as well be a Kylie original, for me! I think that helps its placing here. For some reason the word "warm" comes to mind as a description for this song... it just makes for a pleasant listen. Maybe I should hear Coldplay's version more often!

3. 2000 Miles
It appears that I gravitate towards Kylie's takes on slower/ballad covers! This is a gorgeous song, and vocally she sounds like she really connected with the wistful quality of the lyrics.

4. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
It's one of the most fun and festive Christmas songs ever, and Kylie really does it justice! The best uptempo cover here.

5. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
I was kind of surprised how high I ended up placing this, and I also have a feeling people here will be a bit nonplussed to see it this high up. I feel like this might be the most covered Christmas song of all? Very overdone, however Kylie's is very easy listening and I enjoyed it - I think in the future I would gravitate towards her version over many others. I think Kylie pushed herself vocally on this, and the outcome is great.

6. Stay Another Day
I appreciate that the production & Kylie's vocal delivery tapped into the very sad nature of this song's lyrics (particularly in the verses). The original is such a classic but I might just prefer Kylie's version!

7. Let It Snow
Short and sweet! Delightful cool2.gif

8. I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter
It's enjoyable. I associate this song the most with Gabriella Cilmi, but I'm liking Kylie's version.

9. Santa Baby
I'm not particularly keen on this song whoever sings it *gasp*. I mostly appreciate it in terms of it giving Kylie a regular presence every Christmas time, and out of all the versions of this I've heard, I would say I like Kylie's the best. I just don't love the song, but I wouldn't turn it off if it started playing though.

10. Wonderful Christmastime [with Mika]
I can never put my finger on exactly why, but for some reason I don't like Paul McCartney's original. It irritates me a bit. Kylie and Mika don't convince me into liking their take on it either, oops.

11. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
I think I would have preferred a more modern sounding approach to this song. There's an attempt to make it sound like this is like a standard from decades ago, but I don't think it works. Not her finest vocal performance either.

12. Winter Wonderland
It's a really average version and she sounds a bit annoying on it. It really pales in comparison to Leona Lewis' version! Leona really put her all into her version and made it sound exciting, and so festive with that Phil Spector vibe. She's my go-to version of Winter Wonderland. Gwen Stefani's version is good too.

13. Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)
Hmm, this is completely unseasonal sounding and makes it seem unnecessary. Maybe if I listened to it in isolation I'd feel more favourably about it? I'll come back to it. I'm still amused that she promoted a Christmas album on The X Factor with a performance of this song!

14. Christmas Wrapping [with Iggy Pop]
I go on a journey with this song. For the first quarter of it I think that it's enjoyable enough, but boy does this begin to drag as it goes along - this really didn't need to be 5 minutes long, and Iggy Pop in particularly becomes increasingly annoying. By the time the song ends I conclude that it's very irritating. It's also very Americanised - I don't think Kylie really sounds at home singing this one.

15. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town [with Frank Sinatra]
Ugh, this is a complete misfire. A posthumous duet leads to a very fake listening experience, and understandably zero chemistry between them vocally. Kylie doesn't sound good here anyway and obviously Frank's vocals sound detached from the point of view that they were recorded so long ago. Clearly everyone involved in this really thought they were doing something special here, but it's really not. 'Kylie Christmas' gets off to such a bad start having this and a couple of other blah covers so high up the track list - they do the rest of the album a disservice because there's much better stuff on the album the deeper into it you go. Anyway, there's really no need to ever listen to this version of 'Santa Claus...', particularly when Mariah Carey's version exists!

^ I would definitely scrap every song after Santa Baby in my above rank.

~~~~~

I've created my own track list for 'Kylie Christmas'! Green are originals, red are covers. I had a listen through to this earlier this afternoon and I feel that it flows nicely. In fact it's probably the most enjoyment I've ever had listening to Kylie Christmas tracks cheer.gif

01. Christmas Isn't Christmas 'Til You Get Here
02. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
03. At Christmas
04. White December
05. Santa Baby
06. I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter
07. 100 Degrees [with Dannii Minogue]
08. Every Day's Like Christmas
09. Oh Santa
10. Let It Snow
11. Cried Out Christmas
12. 2000 Miles
13. Only You [with James Corden]
14. Christmas Lights
15. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
16. Stay Another Day

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 24th December 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #467
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Some of the best songs are so low drama.gif I love her version of ‘Christmas Lights’ heart.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 24th December 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #468
Group icon

Which are your favourites? Bear in mind that the red/green list is self-created track list, not a rank! Christmas Lights is my second favourite of the covers. heart.gif

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 24th December 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #469
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Dec 24 2020, 04:18 PM) *
Which are your favourites? Bear in mind that the red/green list is self-created track list, not a rank! Christmas Lights is my second favourite of the covers. heart.gif

Ah sorry I saw it as a rank rather than ideal listing kink.gif

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 24th December 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #470
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

At Christmas definitely should have been track one on SQ.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 31st December 2020, 12:13 AM
Post #471
Group icon

Kylie Christmas re-entered the UK Top 200 at #195 on 25th December!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 31st December 2020, 03:51 AM
Post #472
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Good it was back in the top 200 picking up a few extra sales.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 31st December 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #473
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

Oh good, was hoping it would squeeze in with the extra streams.....might retain its place this week too given all the SQ tracks massively improved Christmas Day and still had decent numbers Boxing Day and Sunday.

Shame SB is downweighted haha....though At Christmas, EDLC and SCICCTT all did big numbers to help the album.

This post has been edited by aeroco: 31st December 2020, 10:20 AM

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 31st December 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #474
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Dec 31 2020, 12:13 AM) *
Kylie Christmas re-entered the UK Top 200 at #195 on 25th December!

Didn’t it make it to a similar position last year too? Pretty sure it managed to just sneak in for a week.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 31st December 2020, 12:33 PM
Post #475
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Dec 31 2020, 12:30 PM) *
Didn’t it make it to a similar position last year too? Pretty sure it managed to just sneak in for a week.

Yes, it reached #199 the w/e 2nd January 2020.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 6th November 2021, 08:17 AM
Post #476
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

When does everyone venture into giving KC a spin (assuming you all do kink.gif ).

Kylie needs a Mariah ‘It’s Time’ campaign to remind everyone of its existence.

+Quote this post
Nick Jonas
post 6th November 2021, 08:26 AM
Post #477
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,481

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Nov 6 2021, 08:17 AM) *
When does everyone venture into giving KC a spin (assuming you all do kink.gif ).

Kylie needs a Mariah ‘It’s Time’ campaign to remind everyone of its existence.

1st December and no earlier! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 6th November 2021, 10:46 AM
Post #478
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Usually around mid-November, and I always go straight for my absolute favourite - Christmas Isn't Christmas Till You Get Here wub.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 6th November 2021, 01:42 PM
Post #479
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Its not my go to Christmas material but i do give it a few spins.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 6th November 2021, 02:27 PM
Post #480
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I’ve given it it’s first stream of the year but it’s too early for me at the moment too - I’ll be playing it heavily in December like always though.

+Quote this post

44 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 06:20 AM