BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OCC: Paloma Faith Top 5 Best Selling Singles
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 22nd September 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Paloma Faith: “A lot of people in my position would have given up”
22/09/2014
By Rob Copsey

As the singer plays down her success, we reveal her impressive chart stats.

Last week, OfficialCharts.com interviewed Paloma Faith to celebrate the success of Changing, the Number 1 single by Sigma on which she is a guest feature.

Aside from explaining excitedly how grateful she was to be involved with the track, we noticed that she seemed less sure of her own chart history. Watch what she had to say below:

She later told us: “I think a lot of people in my position would have given up a long time ago, or been dropped. But luckily, due to my kindness and the kindness of those around me, I’m still here and it’s my biggest achievement in the UK to date, so I’m really pleased!”

While it will come as surprise to some that Paloma has never had a UK Number 1 album or song as a lead artist (her highest charting single is this year’s Number 6 peak of Only Love Can Hurt Like This), we can reliably inform her (and you) that her chart stats are in fact rather impressive!

Paloma's total track sales to date amount to a mighty 1.8 million, which includes her six UK Top 40 hits. Her biggest-selling single is 2012’s Picking Up The Pieces, which peaked at Number 7 on the Official Singles Chart and has so far sold 350,000 copies. Check out her Top 5 best sellers below:

1 PICKING UP THE PIECES 350,000
2 ONLY LOVE CAN HURT LIKE THIS 305,000
3 NEW YORK 270,000
4 NEVER TEAR US APART 180,000
5 UPSIDE DOWN 138,000

© 2014 Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.

Better known for her success in the albums market (all three have entered the Top 10), her sales in that department currently stand at 1.7 million in the UK alone; no mean feat for an artist only three records into their career.

Interestingly, her best-selling record so far is also her lowest charting; 2009’s Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful? peaked at Number 9 but recently just tipped over the 700,000 sales mark. By comparison, 2012's Fall To Grace has shifted 620,000 copies, and her latest, A Perfect Contradiction - released in March this year - is currently on 331,000.

What’s more, she can expect that overall figure to increase significantly with the re-release of A Perfect Contradiction later this year. The repackage – released November 3 – features five new songs including forthcoming single Ready For The Good Life.

So there you have it, Paloma – proof that your success is definitely worth celebrating!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd September 2014, 06:15 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

A #55 peaking single outselling one that reached the Top 10 ('Can't Rely On You')! laugh.gif

Pleased to see 'Upside Down' has sold so well, definitely one of my favourites. So jolly and jazzy. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 22nd September 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Did that full interview that was mentioned get posted by them yet? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

She really has built up her success impressively and it's nice to see someone so amazingly talented earn this, and also sell albums consistently.

I'm completely shocked 'Upside Down' sold that much though. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd September 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Sep 22 2014, 07:29 PM) *
Did that full interview that was mentioned get posted by them yet? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

She really has built up her success impressively and it's nice to see someone so amazingly talented earn this, and also sell albums consistently.

I'm completely shocked 'Upside Down' sold that much though. ohmy.gif

Not sure. I too had a look through the site, just the other day, and don't remember coming across anything.

Someone mentioned before how impressive it is that her album eras gets bigger and bigger each time (her albums have sold less each time but that's more to do with the album market more than anything else). Can't say there's many artists who can do that!

As for 'Upside Down', it's been featured on an advert for a good two years or so which would explain why it's sold so well considering its peak.

+Quote this post
post 22nd September 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I had no idea Picking Up The Pieces had sold so much!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 22nd September 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Break the tension

There's this part from the sales thread which indicates it's either incorrect or outdated:

Only Love Can Hurt Like This become Faith's biggest seller on Saturday, with a to-date tally of 366,359 putting it just ahead of her previous biggest seller, Picking Up The Pieces, which has sold 365,872 copies.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 22nd September 2014, 06:41 PM
Post #7
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I'm presuming the article here doesn't include streaming figures whereas the Music Week one does? Could be wrong though!

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 22nd September 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Only Love That Can Hurt Like This has a new total 366,359 MW have announced today in the sales report.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd September 2014, 06:47 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Sep 22 2014, 07:41 PM) *
I'm presuming the article here doesn't include streaming figures whereas the Music Week one does? Could be wrong though!

Definitely what I think too.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 22nd September 2014, 06:48 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Can't rely on you is her worst single in my view so not surprised it didn't sell great. Just goes to show working with famous producers like Pharrel doesn't always guarantee high sales.

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 22nd September 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #11
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Sep 22 2014, 07:47 PM) *
Definitely what I think too.

Thirded.

I have a feeling these sales lists will be sales only for the time being, with them eventually becoming "X's biggest songs" or something omitting the word 'selling'.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 22nd September 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

She is so amazing wub.gif

Probably her best 3 songs in that top 3- they are all 11/10 songs. And I am listening to the beautiful PUTP at the moment wub.gif

+Quote this post
GTH
post 22nd September 2014, 09:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Gareth T H
User: 10,597

I have really enjoyed her progress over the years. She has really impressed me, especially after Stone Cold Sober came out and I wasn't sure whether she would ever get past album#1. Her singles have pretty much all been great since and her albums have sold consistently which is something most artists would kill for. How well DYWTTOSB has held up with album sales always surprises me. Has sold consistently since it was released and still selling! Very happy to see Upside Down in the top 5.

When you think Pixie Lott started her chart career shortly beforehand and you compare where they both are on album#3, Paloma should definitely be proud of what she has accomplished.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd September 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(GTH @ Sep 22 2014, 10:14 PM) *
I have really enjoyed her progress over the years. She has really impressed me, especially after Stone Cold Sober came out and I wasn't sure whether she would ever get past album#1. Her singles have pretty much all been great since and her albums have sold consistently which is something most artists would kill for. How well DYWTTOSB has held up with album sales always surprises me. Has sold consistently since it was released and still selling! Very happy to see Upside Down in the top 5.

When you think Pixie Lott started her chart career shortly beforehand and you compare where they both are on album#3, Paloma should definitely be proud of what she has accomplished.

Yeah, I think even when Paloma had a hit with 'New York' and she showed such great vocal ability, it didn't seem like she'd last another album. She's a bit like the P!nk of the British soul world - bit of an underdog but when you actually look at her career, it's rather excellent!

Your comment on her first album reminds me how crazy her initial chart run was: 14-27-16-09-20-42-54... then soon shot up to #13 for two weeks before plummeting and it continued something like that for a while! Bizzare! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
calxyum
post 22nd September 2014, 09:43 PM
Post #15
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,799

I'm so happy to see Paloma receiving all of this recognition and attention, she fully deserves it, what a talented woman! As for Can't Rely On You and songs like Just Be and Stone Cold Sober, surely they can't be that far off of the Top Five, I remember for sure, seeing that the former has sold upwards of 100k thus far.

+Quote this post
Dane
post 22nd September 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,281

Fell in love with her the first time I heard Stone Cold Sober, it was on some music show that used to be o chanel 4 at like 7am in the morning. New York just made me love her even more, and from then she has been and still is one of my favorite Female artists of all time. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 23rd September 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Break the tension

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Sep 22 2014, 07:41 PM) *

That makes sense, why can't they make that clear to avoid confusion?

Silly sods.

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 23rd September 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

Did she really think she'd get dropped? I was under the impression all her albums sold decently and she's had a fair few hit singles spread out over time as well (it's not like they were all in 2009 and she couldn't get any afterwards). There are hundreds of other artists with record deals who are less successful.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 23rd September 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

I do like changing, i am delighted it got Paloma a number 1 with impressive opening sales but i am slightly elated that it will most likely end up becoming her biggest selling single for which i am not truly happy with. Songs like New York, Upside Down and and Only Love Can Hurt Like This are much better and are more deserved status for her best selling.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 23rd September 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Break the tension

Unless this upcoming single from her re-release ends up becoming her 'Burn'.

I imagine she'll also get an X-Factor slot this year as well and that the album will go stratospheric saleswise in Q4.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 08:14 AM