BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mommy, The Canadian entry for the "Best Foreign Language Film" 2015
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Jul 25 2015, 12:03 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Mommy" is a Canadian dramatic production that was released in my country’s cinemas almost three months ago. It was originally screened in the main competition part of last year's Cannes Film Festival, where it won the “Grand Jury Prize”! Later, it was the official participation of Canada in the Oscar’s category for “Best Foreign Language Film" and won the Cesar award for "Best Foreign Film "! I had seen the official trailer four months ago and I was crazy to see it! Something told me that I would love this movie and finally it did not disappoint my intuition. Usually, the opposite happens.
Diane 'Die' Després is a dynamic and sexy forty-five year old mother who had financial problems and struggles to raise her adolescent son, Steve O'Connor, having lost her husband who died three years before. However, her son suffers from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and constantly causes problems at school, and sometimes erupts violently at his mother. However, count her lucky stars, a shy and mysterious neighbor will be willing to help the youth in his courses and she will develop a friendship with both family members. "Mommy" is one of those films that masterfully combines funny to touching moments. It has a very pleasant development while periodically touches the sensitive side of the spectators. The interpretations of the three actors were exceptional and the characters that embodied them were extremely amiable. The 26 year old Xavier Dolan, who is considered one of the most influential and talented contemporary filmmakers, was not restricted only to the scenario of "Mommy", after acquiring the directing, the editing and the costumes! He was also one of the producers of the film! He did a remarkable job and that’s why the film garnered many awards in recognized international film festivals! "Mommy" had very good directing, intelligent and well-written dialogues, elaborate editing and very nice soundtrack. Famous songs from the 90's and 00's were playing during the movie and fit incredibly in every scene! There was no point in the story which was not accompanied by a song after the main character of the film was full of life and energy. What I will remember on the particular story is that love, friendship and solidarity always bring balance in humans. It was obviously something that happened between the three characters. I believe that if someone does not have these, only emptiness can be felt inside.
"Mommy" is already one of my greatest cinematic loves! It had a very interesting development, which didn’t tire me at all and I would not mind if it had a longer length. Actually, it was 139 minutes long. It is certainly one of those movies that I wish to last a little more. "Mommy" got good reviews wherever it was screened and has assembled a high rating from IMDb users (8.2). Personally, I would give a much better score because it was a smart script idea with very distinct characters. I have the impression that Dolan caught the peak of his career taking advantage of this movie.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Harve
post Feb 23 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Cśur poids plume
User: 4,718
After something like my 8th viewing (I had to watch it with like everyone I know), this is my favourite film of all time now YEP.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:31 PM