BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Results • Dangerous Woman: The Rate, complete - full results on page 6
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JulianNial
post 19th June 2021, 02:43 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

12. EVERYDAY (FEAT. FUTURE)

AVERAGE SCORE: 7.54

INTO YOU: JosephStyles + coi (9)

BAD DECISIONS: ready for it... (3), Nick F1 (6.5)

Our first Single out of the count is 'Everyday', which met heavy controversy not only for it's raunchy lyrics and video, but also due to the choice of it getting released as a single over fan favourites such as 'Greedy', 'Touch It' or 'Be Alright', which I feel may have affected the scores here. It has always been assumed that this choice was heavily influenced by the success of 'Side to Side' and the labels hunger to score another Urban style hit. Featuring 'Future' it's hard to see why the US radio stations in particular didn't eat this up.

A playful electropop, R&B, trap track (typical of Ari); 'Everyday' is another Max Martin bop that picks up the pace nicely after 'Leave Me Lonely', however it failed to make much of an impact on the global charts, even missing the top 100 in the UK completely, landing at #123. It also missed the top 50 in the US and Canada, stalling at #55 and #54 respectively. It missed the chart in New Zealand but scraped into the ARIA charts at #96 and only made a top 40 appearance in one of Belgium's main charts (#38). However it did go on to achieve a Platinum certification in the US with over 1 million copies sold and has also achieved a slightly underwhelming Silver certification in the UK. (I dream of what 'Greedy' could have done.)

The flirty bop did manage to snatch a couple of 9s from 'JosephStyles' and 'coi', whilst a 3 from 'ready for it...' dragged it's score down. It's second lowest scorer 'Nick F1' was less harsh scoring a forgivable 6.5. It's most common score was an 8.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 19th June 2021, 03:04 PM
Post #42
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I thought at the time that 'Everyday' would work as a single as it sounded like something that would take off on streaming... but sadly it wasn't to be sad.gif in hindsight I wish something else had been picked from such a strong album but, single status aside, I do really enjoy it as a song.

+Quote this post
Lunar
post 19th June 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 73,703

I like Everyday and it's a bop, but Greedy was right there! sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 19th June 2021, 06:14 PM
Post #44
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I really like 'Everyday'! I think it gets such a hard time. sad.gif The video is so bonkers I LOVE it laugh.gif

If LMLY could drop asap that'd be grand... ffs

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 19th June 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Julian Nial

QUOTE(Lunar @ Jun 19 2021, 06:57 PM) *
I like Everyday and it's a bop, but Greedy was right there! sleep.gif

Innit.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 19th June 2021, 07:55 PM
Post #46
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

'Every Day' - This didn't work as a single & we SHOULD have had 'Greedy' as single #4, then maybe 'Be Alright' for a possible single #5.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 19th June 2021, 09:06 PM
Post #47
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

QUOTE(Dangerous Julian @ Jun 19 2021, 10:43 AM) *
whilst a 3 from 'ready for it...' dragged it's score down.

As it deserves. sleep.gif Everyday isn't good, sadly.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 19th June 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Everyday should have been even lower. Such a disappointing choice as a single.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 20th June 2021, 12:19 AM
Post #49
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I will not stand for 'Everyday' slander

Issa banger x

(although it commits the cardinal sin of song titles insisting on turning any instance of 'every [x]' into a single word whether or not it's grammatically correct to do so, so for that reason we hate it)

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 20th June 2021, 05:24 AM
Post #50
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I enjoy 'Everyday' in a way, but resent the fact it was singled. It kinda tainted what could have been THE perfect era.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 20th June 2021, 08:10 AM
Post #51
Group icon
Julian Nial

QUOTE(Nina West @ Jun 19 2021, 08:55 PM) *
'Every Day' - This didn't work as a single & we SHOULD have had 'Greedy' as single #4, then maybe 'Be Alright' for a possible single #5.

Imagine a single run

Dangerous Woman
Into You
Side To Side
Greedy
Be Alright
Touch It (In a pretend World where she actually likes the song.)

cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
coi
post 20th June 2021, 10:42 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Sometimes and Everyday are both great too, disappointing to see them out that early but not totally unexpected. Hoping Let Me Love You can defy the odds and sneak in that top ten.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 20th June 2021, 11:32 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

11. LET ME LOVE YOU (FEAT. LIL WAYNE)

AVERAGE SCORE: 7.59

INTO YOU: LewisGT, coi (10), JosephStyles, Jade, dannjohn (9)

BAD DECISIONS: kath (5), jsweetxe, George.keh, Lunar, gog_lad84, 152chris (6)

Just missing out on the all-important top 10 is Let Me Love You. This has always been one of those that I’ve found to be really underrated in her discography which makes it even more upsetting that it has ended up so close to the top 10.

The inspiration and themes of the whole album can be said to originate in this song as it was confirmed that this was the track that was recorded for the Dangerous Woman album. Let Me Love You is one of the darker, sultrier R&B moments on the album with a great choppy hook and a fun, if slightly awkward, Lil Wayne verse (“she grinding on this grande”, “my name change from Lil Wayne to ooh Wayne”). The production is subtly killer too. The mixture of hip-hop beats, slight piano chords and interspersed vocals build into something special.

This is the only non-single from Dangerous Woman to get its own video. I know I mention it every time this song is brought up but Ariana looks so gorgeous in this video with her hair down and with curls too. She has become so ubiquitous with the ponytail which I love but its still nice to see her with a more natural look from time to time.

Despite missing out on the top 10, LMLY still received a not too shabby 7.59 average with coi and I both being the biggest fans of the song, each providing it with a round 10. However, three others are not far behind with 9s (JosephStyles, dannjohn and fellow mod Jade) and there was a slew of 7s and 8s. It also managed to avoid any really low scores, the most-unfavourable rating came from Kath with a 5 with five more going with an average 6 score.

QUOTE(coi @ Jun 20 2021, 11:42 AM) *
Hoping Let Me Love You can defy the odds and sneak in that top ten.

sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 20th June 2021, 12:48 PM
Post #54
Group icon

Aw so close for 'Let Me Love You'! That has been my biggest DW grower over the years hands down. It's so slick *.*

What a killer set of top 10 songs we have:

Bad Decisions
Be Alright
Dangerous Woman
Greedy
Into You
Knew Better / Forever Boy
Moonlight
Side to Side
Thinking Bout You
Touch It

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 20th June 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Julian Nial

That top 10! I mean... the album in general. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 21st June 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #56
Group icon

10. BAD DECISIONS

AVERAGE SCORE: 7.85

INTO YOU: Slick, LewisGT (10), George.keh, Lunar, Jade, HausofArgento (9)

BAD DECISIONS: gog_lad84 (4), Bré (5)

Kicking off the top 10 of the 'Dangerous Woman' rate is track #12 'Bad Decisions'! We gave this song a chance to shine on the forum last year as part of AF Idol and it went down pretty well.

'Bad Decisions' has a crazily catchy chorus, with strong pop sensibilities, but marries it with hip-hop esque production. I'd expect nothing less on this genre bending album! The 'Dangerous Woman' era in general marked a more adult shift for Ariana's music and image and this song is no exception. She describes her relationship at the time as "Bonnie and Clyde" love and states that her significant other is her "favourite sin". So it's filth but pretty addictive filth at that. The most memorable lyric is likely: "Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch?", multi-faceted queen.

Slick and Lewis are the biggest fans of 'Bad Decisions' on the board as they award it a perfect 10. On the other hand, gog_lad84 dragged this down quite a bit with a harsh score of 4. This range of scores resulted in an average of 7.85. However, I can exclusively reveal that the entire top 9 have 8+ averages. We really do love 'Dangerous Woman' on here!

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 22nd June 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #57
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Bad Decisions is good but nothing special really. Leave Me Lonely and Sometimes are so much better and deserved top 10 sad.gif

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 22nd June 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Julian Nial

9. SIDE TO SIDE (FEAT. NICKI MINAJ)

AVERAGE SCORE: 8.08

INTO YOU: ...ready for it, JosephStyles (11), Slick, Nick F1, gog_lad84, Nina West (10)

BAD DECISIONS: Goerge.keh (-1), Bré (2)

A shock early out and our second single out of the countdown, we say goodbye to one of her biggest smash hits to date. Wait what?! I only gave this a 9 instead of a 10?! So it's probably my fault this isn't one place higher. Although 'Side To Side' is our first song to receive the coveted 11 points (from both '...ready for it' and 'JosephStyles') and to collect an average score of over 8, unfortunately it also picked up the first and only '-1' score from 'George.keh'.

From the get go 'Side to Side' was a favourite from the album and releasing it as a single proved to be a great idea, becoming one of her top 5 best-selling singles and providing her most viewed music video to date (almost reaching 2 billion views as of writing this). Despite being a post-album single, it comfortably charted top 10 around the world and has since gone on to be certified Multi-platinum or Diamond in multiple territories. It was also the first 'Female Collaboration' song to reach 1 billion streams on Spotify. Speaking of which, it's success was greatly aided by the inclusion of long time collaborator 'Nicki Minaj' who verse originally had even more explicit lyrics, we can only assume that the label forced Nicki to rerecord to tone it down. Critics were quick to compare the song to music by 'Rihanna'.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 22nd June 2021, 06:40 PM
Post #59
Group icon

'Side to Side' is not really my thing but that video is dripping in star quality, can't begrudge it being her most viewed!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 22nd June 2021, 08:40 PM
Post #60
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Pleasantly surprised at how low that finished, easily the worst song on the album for me, it's always sounded really tacky and cheap to me and with some rather cringeworthy lyrics.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 01:07 PM