BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Man Utd set to name Jose Mourinho as manager
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post 21st May 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Inevitable really wasn't it:

Manchester United will appoint Jose Mourinho as their new manager, BBC Sport understands.

With United failing to qualify for the Champions League under Louis van Gaal, the Old Trafford hierarchy is thought to have decided a change is required.

It is understood a deal with 53-year-old Mourinho was agreed in principle before Saturday's FA Cup final victory against Crystal Palace
The club plan to announce his arrival early next week after telling Van Gaal his reign has come to an end.

The Dutchman still has one season remaining on his three-year deal, but despite spending £250m on new players, his tenure has disappointed many fans, the club finishing fourth and then fifth in the Premier League.

Van Gaal's grip on his job has seemed increasingly fragile this season, with Mourinho known to covet the task of masterminding a revival at United three years after legendary former manager Sir Alex Ferguson stepped down.

Mourinho is one of the game's most successful coaches, winning three league titles in his two spells at Stamford Bridge, as well as guiding Porto and Inter Milan to Champions League victories in 2004 and 2010 respectively

He also led Real Madrid to the Spanish La Liga title in 2012, and his arrival will mean a mouthwatering resumption of his rivalry with former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola. The Spaniard will take over at United's arch-rivals Manchester City this summer.

Having sacked previous manager David Moyes just 10 months after he succeeded Ferguson, United's executive vice chairman Ed Woodward was desperate for Van Gaal to see out his contract.

Some senior figures at United were also known to have serious reservations about the prospect of the controversial Mourinho, with some preferring Ryan Giggs as an alternative.

The Welshman, who made a record 963 appearances for the club, took over as manager on an interim basis in April 2014 following the sacking of Moyes, and was understood to be keen on the job.

In February however, BBC Sport revealed that United had held talks with Mourinho's representatives.

What do you make of this decision from Man United?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 21st May 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Very brave! But of course football is all about short-term success now so on that basis they have made the right call based on those achievements!

However I really hope he doesn't drop Rashford/Lingard/Fosu-Mensah & buys some irrelevant has-beens...

Also: This will be brilliant to see José Vs. Pep in the Premier League regardless of whose allegiance you're with biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 21st May 2016, 08:17 PM

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 21st May 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
Heartbreaking.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 21st May 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
This is f***ing bullshit. The man is toxic, is shit with young players (the only reason we finished as high as 5th and won the FA cup), and hates Mata. Chelsea under Jose parked the bus and then spectacularly imploded. How can any self respecting man united fan be celebrating this news is beyond me.

LVG may not be perfect, he may at times force utterly dull football on us but at least he doesn't sack medical staff while throwing a paddy that he's losing.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 21st May 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
After they just won the FA Cup... Awkward

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 21st May 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #6
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
The guy is just a better Van Gaal. Honestly, this kinda saddens me. I hate Manchester United, but there is nothing more than I would like to see Liverpool and Manchester United as the best two teams in the country, playing great football and using their Academies accordingly. Mourinho is everything Manchester United isn't. It's pure short term, and I don't even see him having that big of an impact. Man Utd will be playing the same football they do now, anyone expecting anything differently is crazy.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 21st May 2016, 09:46 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Queen of Soon
Exactly!!! Manchester United has always been about its academy. Man just look at this year. Half a dozen academy players literally saved our ass this year.

I do not expect us to suddenly start playing attacking football. When I think of Chelsea under Jose I don't think of them as an attacking side, I think of them as parking the bus and playing 5 minutes of football before checking out.

Three years time we will be back in a complete mess because Jose is a three year wander.

Looks like it was his agent that leaked the news. Right as we win the FA Cup. What an utter f***ing scumbag piece of shit. Football agents are the dregs of humanity

+Quote this post
bigwiglaf
post 21st May 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #8
Group icon
pop goes the world...
User: 1,426
Granted, I'm not one who is keeping up with everything that is Premiere League, or any kind of English football for that matter, but, just based on this past season, I can't see Jose Mourinho doing Manchester United any good, now or 3 years from now, especially seeing as how he has the final say on any transfers that might be in the offing over the summer window or in the January window...I cringe inside for the United fandom just thinking how badly he might bollox things up for the team, both with the Academy and the transfer windows.....just an American's opinion, for what it's worth....

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 21st May 2016, 11:35 PM
Post #9
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(Silas @ May 21 2016, 10:46 PM) *
Exactly!!! Manchester United has always been about its academy. Man just look at this year. Half a dozen academy players literally saved our ass this year.

I do not expect us to suddenly start playing attacking football. When I think of Chelsea under Jose I don't think of them as an attacking side, I think of them as parking the bus and playing 5 minutes of football before checking out.

Three years time we will be back in a complete mess because Jose is a three year wander.

Looks like it was his agent that leaked the news. Right as we win the FA Cup. What an utter f***ing scumbag piece of shit. Football agents are the dregs of humanity

I think he will split opinion massively. Not even sure this team has it in them to be a Jose team, there are no shitbags really bar Fellaini and possibly Rooney. I can completely see why Utd have gone for it, but just seems to be like they don't want to give it to Giggs. He must still be Mourinho's assistant. There will be some tasty games now though (City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea), but a very short-termist appointment for me, and not convinced it will work out. I think he will implode the dressing room, like he normally does.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 22nd May 2016, 12:07 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
After today's FA Cup victory I kind of feel quite sad about Louis Van Gaal, it feel wrong to throw him away like a piece of garbage right now hours after winning our first major trophy since Fergie left. He did well bringing up young players from the academy and signing Martial, maybe there could have been improvement next season.

Most of the fans interviewed on FULLTimeDevils seem to be happy about Mourinho coming in but personally i'm not so sure, I guess we'll find out next season.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 22nd May 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #11
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(Hazza Chapman @ May 22 2016, 01:07 AM) *
After today's FA Cup victory I kind of feel quite sad about Louis Van Gaal, it feel wrong to throw him away like a piece of garbage right now hours after winning our first major trophy since Fergie left. He did well bringing up young players from the academy and signing Martial, maybe there could have been improvement next season.

Most of the fans interviewed on FULLTimeDevils seem to be happy about Mourinho coming in but personally i'm not so sure, I guess we'll find out next season.

Was a dickish move, but it appears to have come from Mourinho's camp.

I'm not surprised the people on FTD are happy, they're idiots! laugh.gif They'll sacrafice anything to see Man Utd win. I just find it hilarious how much the fanbase has been on LVG's back about the football they play. Now they want Mourinho laugh.gif There's a big reason he wasn't hired back in 2013.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 22nd May 2016, 12:34 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
If all fairness he's the only proven top class manager available right now & LVG wasn't a long-term plan anyway. They had to act now or face losing out. I reckon they wanted Klopp primarily, then Ancelotti but both those ships sailed.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 22nd May 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Queen of Soon
The premier leagues elastic fans are going to be so torn now. Do they switch to Leicester for next year or do they follow the special one to United. Shirt sales will probably go up as the glory hunters leave Chelsea for us.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 22nd May 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #14
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(Dobbo @ May 22 2016, 01:34 PM) *
If all fairness he's the only proven top class manager available right now & LVG wasn't a long-term plan anyway. They had to act now or face losing out. I reckon they wanted Klopp primarily, then Ancelotti but both those ships sailed.

I can see that logic, especially with a lot of top managers in the Premier League at the moment. Baffling though as Mourinho is only short term too.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 22nd May 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
Mourinho has made his dislike of Juan Mata clear in the past so if he sells him or leaves him on the bench then that would be terrible for our club. He doesn't seem like the type of manager who would be patient in developing young players and giving them an opportunity. I think LVG maybe should have been giving 1 more season in charge to see if things could improve, imagine if Man Utd sacked Alex Ferguson in 1990 straight after winning his first major trophy, we wouldn't have won all those trophies that we won in the 90's and 00's.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 22nd May 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Rooney @ May 23 2016, 12:43 AM) *
I can see that logic, especially with a lot of top managers in the Premier League at the moment. Baffling though as Mourinho is only short term too.

He is but that appears to be the mantra for most of the top teams across Europe now. The era of building a squad over many years seems to now be defunct as clubs have no patience. When Wenger finally leaves Arsenal I don't think there'll be another example of the like again. The other European greats right now in Barca, Real & Bayern seem to be able to recycle managers at will yet still retain the success. Of course the gap in quality is wider in those leagues but it appears to be the way some Prem teams are now looking at it, whether rightly or wrongly!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 23rd May 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
The first part - Van Gaal's sacking - has now been confirmed.

This whole episode has made me dislike Mourinho even more. He has never been particularly likeable, but his behaviour over the last 12 months has been worse than ever. The way he got rid of Chelsea's doctor was just the first in a long line of blaming anybody but himself for a string of defeats. His posturing since he was sacked has been an embarrassment.

Most managers will say that they would't enter into discussions with a club for a job that isn't vacant. Some might even be telling the truth. Mourinho has not only been negotiating with Man U over a job that wasn't vacant, but has openly boasted about it. After all, there can be little doubt that he sanctioned Saturday's "leak". The timing of that leak just adds to Mourinho's contemptible behaviour. Bragging to the world that someone is about to be sacked immediately after that person has won a trophy is the sign of a man who has no regard for dignity.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 23rd May 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #18
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
Apparently the announcement of LVG's sacking was timed to coincide with the opening of the New York Stock Exchange. If that's true, it tells you a lot about what United now are as a club.

Mourinho has wanted this for years. He expected to be Ferguson's replacement, but the club in their infinite wisdom went with Moyes. This way might suit Mourinho better since there's lower expectations now.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 23rd May 2016, 01:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Queen of Soon
From what I can see we still haven't put out a statement or officially confirmed anything yet. Although by now it's the worst kept secret of 2016

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 23rd May 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #20
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(Silas @ May 23 2016, 02:01 PM) *
From what I can see we still haven't put out a statement or officially confirmed anything yet. Although by now it's the worst kept secret of 2016

It's absolutely embarrassing from Man Utd. Amateur stuff really.

Funny though if you're not a Man Utd fan biggrin.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:48 PM