BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Under The Skin' | 14.03.2014, Stars: Scarlett Jo.. | "We may finally have an Heir to Kubrick"
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 12th February 2014, 02:42 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Been anticipating this since the teaser trailer a few months ago and there's finally a proper trailer for this.

Looks utterly bizzarre and random but so stunning too!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
richie
post 13th February 2014, 12:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

I've been waiting for this since it was announced they were filming it way back in 2011! I've read the book twice and my fingers are crossed that they won't have changed it too much...but, looking at the trailer, they already seem to have moved it from the barren roads of the Highlands to the centre of Glasgow.

Still, the trailer doesn't give much away - random and weird...oh yes!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 4th March 2014, 03:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
User: 13,007

Everything about this just looks spectacular. The trailer, title, posters, concept, reviews and most of all visuals.

...and Kubrickian?? Can't wait!

+Quote this post
Harve
post 4th March 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

My friend saw it at its UK premier at the Glasgow Film Festival and apparently it was as spectacular as the trailer! Can't wait to see something so EERIE set in the same streets I walk down in my ordinary/everyday life.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 5th March 2014, 12:40 AM
Post #5
Group icon

The poster is absolutely STUNNING. Really, REALLY excited for this.

PS: Also, slightly off topic but, CONGRATULATIONS TO SCARLETT! Expecting a babyyyyy!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 18th March 2014, 03:41 AM
Post #6
Group icon

Going to see this tomorrow. First film I've paid to see at the cinema (that isn't IMAX) in absolutely AGES. Better be worth the dollar! smoke.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 18th March 2014, 03:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

The main thing that gripes me about this without having seen it yet and having read the book recently, it's that one of the best things about the book was that it came as a surprise to the audience who she was as you don't know at first, whereas in it seems to have been mentioned everywhere just what she is so that surprise is ruined. Suppose it won't matter to those who haven't read it but still...

I am still intrigued to see how they adapt this as it didn't strike me as something that would be easy to do when I read it.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 18th March 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

PUMPED FOR THIS

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 19th March 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #9
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

Last 10 mins was STUNNING

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 20th March 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #10
Group icon

I saw this, I'm still trying to process it all. I did like it (a lot) but these sort of films take ages for me to digest properly! It was a visual feast though. Breathtaking for most parts and like Jake said above, the final 10 minutes... wonderful. It's probably one of those films that has a simple enough explanation, but due to me being a bit too simple, I can't get my head around it all properly to really appreciate it!

+Quote this post
richie
post 20th March 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

Walked out after 40 minutes. Bitterly disappointed that Jonathan Glazer did not adapt the original text in any way whatsoever and simply made his own film.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 21st March 2014, 11:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

I felt that this could have been so much more than it was. All the pieces were there for something spectacular but for me, for some reason, it never quite transpired. I really thought I would either have fallen in complete love with it or dismissed it as complete nonsense, what I did not expect was to leave with not much of an impression at all.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 21st March 2014, 11:18 PM
Post #13
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

QUOTE(richie @ Mar 20 2014, 02:08 PM) *
Walked out after 40 minutes. Bitterly disappointed that Jonathan Glazer did not adapt the original text in any way whatsoever and simply made his own film.

you've already paid so why not just stay until the end? you never know you might have preferred the new ending or at least got something else out of it.......

+Quote this post
richie
post 24th March 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

It was a late showing and I was tired and not enjoying it.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 12th May 2014, 11:53 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

This is one of the most boring movies that I've ever watched at the cinema!! I'm totally disappointed with the results and my friends feel the same too. We really wanted to fall asleep in our chairs. Besides, everybody was sleeping at the cinema too. It was a very depressing movie. I knew that it would have a dark-coloured direction but I didn't think that it would be the definition of boredom. There wasn't any suspense and the dialogue was very bad. Scarlett Johannson looked everywhere without speaking and the cast was quite amateur. I don't know why the critics praised it so much but this movie would suck in the cinema without positive reviews. I think that it was the best promotion for the comparison with Stanley Kumbrick movies. I have to admit that it had some interesting scenes but the whole movie was quite bad. It's one of the worst movies ever and the worst movie this year (so far). The only good thing about this movie is the fact that it was just found the best cure for insomnia. If you can't sleep, take a look at "Under The Skin". You will have no trouble going to sleep.

This post has been edited by Insomnio: 12th May 2014, 11:54 PM

+Quote this post
p a v
post 20th July 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #16
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Oh my god this was amazing! The beach scene! The ending! I also wasn't that impressed before the halfway point but after she let the disfigured guy go, shit started to go down~

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 31st January 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #17
Group icon
User: 13,007

A year late but i finally saw this last night.. I have mixed opinions.

As has been said the final 10 or so minutes were absolutely breathtaking and were some of the most disturbing scenes i've ever seen. A lot of the film moved at a snail's pace which i usually don't mind, but it did seem to be too repetitive and not in an entertaining way. Girl picks up guy, funky styling, girl picks up another guy, funky styling and repeat. It was carried by the visuals and soundtrack for a lot, as opposed to working alongside those factors like the best films do. I get that it was channeling Kubrick in a lot of ways, and it did well to utilise his style but not so much the substance he also put into the films. Stylistically i thought the film was a real winner; some of the shots, i wish i could hang over by bed because i could have stared at them for hours. I liked the rawness of the acting - many of the encounters were unscripted which i found very intriguing. The actual plot was very tame though and let down the film in a big way.

Having said that, it was fascinating and very Kubrickian at times, so i get where the comparisons have come from. Not quite "an Heir to Kubrick" yet but one to watch for sure. Just wish there was more oomph away from the cinematography.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 02:44 PM